Working At GameStop!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ItKevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ItKevin
Member since 2005 • 96 Posts

Yeah, this has almost nothing to do with the 360 but I have a very important question. How do I apply to work at Gamestop? I plan on getting a summer job in 2008. So can someone help from step one, like asking to get the job or something?

Oh and do they allow a guy to have long hair??? I have hair a few inches past my shoulders and I'm guessing that the manager might make me cut it before i work there. But my friends tell me everyone there is cool cuz we're all gamers but iono. This will be my first job so i'm nervous.

Another question is do they look at ur school grades?? I'm a junior in highschool right now, and have pretty below average grades. And yes, another godamm question, so how good is the pay??? I wanna get a job just so that I can buy games and fully enjoy the current gen games.

Thanks in advance.

D3R1N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 D3R1N
Member since 2003 • 610 Posts
Don't work at a GameStop. You'll hate your life. Trust me, I work at one now.
Scarface_tm431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Scarface_tm431
Member since 2004 • 10063 Posts
So are you in Gr.10 then? (where I live we don't say those lol we just say our grade) I don't think they hire anyone under 18, but there's no harm in applying. You make up a resume and drop it off at the store you want to work at, if they have applications fill one of those out and staple your resume to the back. The hair shouldn't be a problem but you have to remember your working with customers so you have to be presentable, so don't be looking like a caveman. They won't look at your grades, but they might be curious as to how you do in Math. Pay differs store-to-store. I'd say at your age you'll be better off applying at a fast food place
MyndFlyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 MyndFlyte
Member since 2005 • 1103 Posts
Well first step to getting a job is to go down to the store and ask for an application. And you're a junior and this is your first job? Wow, I started working the summer before 8th grade.
brad1087

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 brad1087
Member since 2007 • 759 Posts

lol. well better now than never. I dont need to pay for another one on welfare.......

Avatar image for live4thepackers
live4thepackers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 live4thepackers
Member since 2006 • 13348 Posts
really shouldnt post this here, the off topicboard would be a better place to ask this and you'll probably get better replies
Mr_Wes32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mr_Wes32
Member since 2007 • 354 Posts
you gotta be 16 to work at gamestop
honkyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#8 honkyjoe
Member since 2005 • 5907 Posts

you gotta be 16 to work at gamestop Mr_Wes32

if he is a junior in HS than chances are he is 16..but to give some advice..dont work at gamestop. find a job thats more flexible with your hours, and if your grades are bad then handling midnight game releases isnt going to help the situation. find a job at a restaurant ora grocery store

BassKreator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BassKreator
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts
gotta be 16. grades not so great? definitely a job that fits in for your schedule. Also the pay is $7.50 minimum wage i would work at best buy or home depot or menards they have a good pay $10
Mr_Wes32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mr_Wes32

i was really thinking about applying there. i heard you can rent games for free or something like that.

but on ur application dont put much about you being a gamer cause they think they dont have good social skills

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I'm almost positive that if you want to apply to work there, you should be able to get an application at the store. I don't think they would go as far as to look at your grades, etc.
Spinbrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Spinbrett
Member since 2006 • 281 Posts
ask to see the manager...then say...yo **** can u hook me up with a cash payin j -o- b bro? then say....I'm rick james bizzz nitch
Mr_Wes32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mr_Wes32
lol yea that always works
TheDanwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 TheDanwich
Member since 2006 • 471 Posts
All the people at my Gamestop are pricks..... I think thats how you get hired.
ItKevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ItKevin
Yeah, I barely turned 16 last sunday! And my friend is going to work at an albertson's soon so i might think about that. But those kinda places will surely make me cut my hair. What about McDonalds???? I might work there!
ItKevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ItKevin

Actually, how is it there?? What's makes ur life so miserable just working there. It's better for me to hear from someone who actaully works there.

skpioneer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 skpioneer91
Member since 2006 • 956 Posts
Just go to a store and ask for an application.. and I don't think hair would be an issue.. I know somebody who is 16 now and works at a gamestop.. but he gets paid minimum wage, which here in KY it's $5.85.. If you know somebody who works there and you're cool with them, and if they put in a good word for you you might get a job.. Good luck..
Avatar image for Louis_Routledge
Louis_Routledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Louis_Routledge
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts
I'd either forget working at GS until you leave school (If you really have to, but you won't want to once you start, it might seem like a fun job, but it's dull and depressing) and/or get a better job that pays better and has a nicer environment.
DarkRider23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DarkRider23
Member since 2004 • 1753 Posts

They pay crap. Usually minimum wage. Go work at a store like best buy or something.

Step 1: Go to the store's website.

Step 2: Find the link that says careers on bottom of the page.

Step 3: Find the application.

Step 4: Fill our the application.

skpioneer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 skpioneer91

Yeah, I barely turned 16 last sunday! And my friend is going to work at an albertson's soon so i might think about that. But those kinda places will surely make me cut my hair. What about McDonalds???? I might work there!ItKevin

sorry for the double post.. do NOT work at McDonald's.. i worked at one for like 5 mos. and it sucked.. you'll get minimum wage and you will have to work horrible hours.. for example one saturday i worked 3pm to 11pm and I had to work the next day starting at 8AM.. do not work there.. you will definitely have to cut your hair and you can't have facial hair(which i was definietly against) and I'm 16 too by the way.. but do not work there..

Scarface_tm431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Scarface_tm431

[QUOTE="ItKevin"]Yeah, I barely turned 16 last sunday! And my friend is going to work at an albertson's soon so i might think about that. But those kinda places will surely make me cut my hair. What about McDonalds???? I might work there!skpioneer91

sorry for the double post.. do NOT work at McDonald's.. i worked at one for like 5 mos. and it sucked.. you'll get minimum wage and you will have to work horrible hours.. for example one saturday i worked 3pm to 11pm and I had to work the next day starting at 8AM.. do not work there.. you will definitely have to cut your hair and you can't have facial hair(which i was definietly against) and I'm 16 too by the way.. but do not work there..

It all depends on the location and management. There's a McDonalds in Nisku out here where you start at $11.50 and the min.wage is $7 If you have long hair you just have to tie it back and put a hair net on

skpioneer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 skpioneer91
[QUOTE="skpioneer91"]

[QUOTE="ItKevin"]Yeah, I barely turned 16 last sunday! And my friend is going to work at an albertson's soon so i might think about that. But those kinda places will surely make me cut my hair. What about McDonalds???? I might work there!Scarface_tm431

It all depends on the location and management. There's a McDonalds in Nisku out here where you start at $11.50 and the min.wage is $7 If you have long hair you just have to tie it back and put a hair net on

where's Nisku? anyway.. at the one I worked at we were always busy.. we brought in a lot of money and everyday after school.. the HS where I go to was right by the McD's where I worked and a lot of people went there and we got a lot of money, and everybody was supposed to get a raise beginning of October and about half the people didn't and quit(including me)..

david60639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 david60639
Member since 2005 • 6951 Posts
Walk into the store and ask for an application...like everywhere else.
Scarface_tm431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Scarface_tm431
[QUOTE="Scarface_tm431"][QUOTE="skpioneer91"]

[QUOTE="ItKevin"]Yeah, I barely turned 16 last sunday! And my friend is going to work at an albertson's soon so i might think about that. But those kinda places will surely make me cut my hair. What about McDonalds???? I might work there!skpioneer91

where's Nisku? anyway.. at the one I worked at we were always busy.. we brought in a lot of money and everyday after school.. the HS where I go to was right by the McD's where I worked and a lot of people went there and we got a lot of money, and everybody was supposed to get a raise beginning of October and about half the people didn't and quit(including me)..

It's south of Edmonton, Alberta. It's surrounded by oil rigs and truck stops so it does some good business but they used to have trouble getting employees because no one actually lives in Nisku lol, so their employess are either from Beaumont or Leduc, both are 10 mins. away from Nisku and now they have no troubles getting employees with how high they pay

brad1087

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 brad1087
Member since 2007 • 759 Posts
no one wants a blonde chin hair in their fries.........
Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts

Don't work at a GameStop. You'll hate your life. Trust me, I work at one now.D3R1N

So do you hate your life now? :shock:

Halo552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Halo552
Member since 2006 • 523 Posts

gotta be 16. grades not so great? definitely a job that fits in for your schedule. Also the pay is $7.50 minimum wage i would work at best buy or home depot or menards they have a good pay $10BassKreator

How old do you have to be to work at Best Buy???

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
First, just because only "gamers" work there doesn't mean that you have permission to look like trash. I really can't name a place outside of Hot Topic that accepts long hair and trashy clothes. I mean, if you are worried about the hair...cut it. If you are worried about your grades...study. It sounds like there is at least some sort of realization hitting you that the rebel lifestyle you are leading right now isn't the way to go in life...so start here. Cut the hair, get the job if that's what you want, and get studying in your free time. You've got your whole life to play videogames, but only 12 years to go to school, and then 4 more if your lucky to make something out of yourself.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

[QUOTE="BassKreator"]gotta be 16. grades not so great? definitely a job that fits in for your schedule. Also the pay is $7.50 minimum wage i would work at best buy or home depot or menards they have a good pay $10Halo552

How old do you have to be to work at Best Buy???

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#32 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

You have to be 17 to work there.

Because M games are 17+, so you gotta be old enough to buy them.

Everybody there is a douche bag, hopefully your not.

alvin201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 alvin201
Member since 2007 • 457 Posts
work somewhere big like target, walmart, or pathmark places like that gaestop is way to much pressure