Wireless Adapter Opinions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jphillips1868

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 jphillips1868
Member since 2005 • 1231 Posts

I was hoping to get some opinions on the wirless adapter.  Does it support most security standards?  Would you recommend it?

ghostlybandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ghostlybandit
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts
I would definetely recommend the wireless adapter I love mine and it works great
ghostlybandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ghostlybandit
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts
I would definetely recommend the wireless adapter I love mine and it works great
chandlerr_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: -2

#4 chandlerr_360
Member since 2006 • 5078 Posts
I don't have one yet, but am planning on getting one. If you do get one though, after doing plenty of research, make sure to have a Super G, N, or A+G wireless connection. Everything else interfere's with the signal.
billjakybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#5 billjakybob
Member since 2004 • 14574 Posts
I would definetely recommend the wireless adapter I love mine and it works greatghostlybandit
ya same with me
Avatar image for deactivated-5f956b96dc672
deactivated-5f956b96dc672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-5f956b96dc672
Member since 2007 • 2218 Posts

I was hoping to get some opinions on the wirless adapter. Does it support most security standards? Would you recommend it?

jphillips1868
i have one, it works with my WEP secured router and my neighbor's unsecure router when mine was disconnected
FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts

I don't have one yet, but am planning on getting one. If you do get one though, after doing plenty of research, make sure to have a Super G, N, or A+G wireless connection. Everything else interfere's with the signal.chandlerr_360

actually it doesnt support N...just A,B,and G 

Schizoidman21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Schizoidman21
Member since 2004 • 379 Posts
Its really great, well worth the money,
Pythagrean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pythagrean
Member since 2003 • 1482 Posts
I am currently using one and really like it.
jstarzyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 jstarzyk
Member since 2004 • 3507 Posts

[QUOTE="chandlerr_360"]I don't have one yet, but am planning on getting one. If you do get one though, after doing plenty of research, make sure to have a Super G, N, or A+G wireless connection. Everything else interfere's with the signal.FUBAR24

actually it doesnt support N...just A,B,and G

Often N routers give out a G signal as well, so it'll still connect, just not at the super speed. I have the official MS Adapter and it is great.
jphillips1868

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jphillips1868
Thanks for the responses guys.
SpideR_CentS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 SpideR_CentS
Member since 2006 • 4766 Posts
I just bought one for $30.00 that works for xbox 1 or 360. I hope it works ok. Im not paying $100 for a wireless adaptor its ludacris
dieworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 dieworm
Member since 2004 • 6416 Posts
I just bought one for $30.00 that works for xbox 1 or 360. I hope it works ok. Im not paying $100 for a wireless adaptor its ludacrisSpideR_CentS
Really?! Where!? 30 bucks sounds great. plz tell
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts
$100 for a wireless adapter is silly, but it works like a charm for me. It's great for situations like yours.
RLMEsq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RLMEsq
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="SpideR_CentS"]I just bought one for $30.00 that works for xbox 1 or 360. I hope it works ok. Im not paying $100 for a wireless adaptor its ludacrisdieworm

I think he's talking about the Logitech Play Link, which sells for less than thirty bucks on Amazon or Buy.com. It has two small cubes that plug into the ethernet ports on your router and Xbox 360. Since the units are paired, there is no need to deal with your router's security settings. Think of it as a wireless alternative to a network cable -- you could use one anyplace you could run ethernet cable.

I use one with my 360 Elite and it works just fine for gaming, but it's very slow for Xbox Live downloads. That isn't much of a problem, though, since the May 2007 software update allows your Xbox to download in the background after you power off.

jphillips1868

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jphillips1868

[QUOTE="dieworm"][QUOTE="SpideR_CentS"]I just bought one for $30.00 that works for xbox 1 or 360. I hope it works ok. Im not paying $100 for a wireless adaptor its ludacrisRLMEsq

I think he's talking about the Logitech Play Link, which sells for less than thirty bucks on Amazon or Buy.com. It has two small cubes that plug into the ethernet ports on your router and Xbox 360. Since the units are paired, there is no need to deal with your router's security settings. Think of it as a wireless alternative to a network cable -- you could use one anyplace you could run ethernet cable.

I use one with my 360 Elite and it works just fine for gaming, but it's very slow for Xbox Live downloads. That isn't much of a problem, though, since the May 2007 software update allows your Xbox to download in the background after you power off.

But if you used those, would it require you to disable the wirless security for the other devices?

RLMEsq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RLMEsq
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

But if you used those, would it require you to disable the wirless security for the other devices?jphillips1868

Nope. The Play Link has its own security system -- the two units come as a matched pair that can only connect to each other. They don't have any effect on your wireless settings; the "send" unit (in quotes because either of the boxes can attach to either the router or your Xbox) and the "receive" units simply plug into the ethernet ports of your router and Xbox. They create a wireless bridge, which your router and Xbox see as a cable connection.

My router settings -- like WEP and MAC address filtering -- for my notebook, desktop & media center computers, and my networked print/scan machine, are completely unaffected.

DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DataDream
Member since 2004 • 3195 Posts

[QUOTE="jphillips1868"]But if you used those, would it require you to disable the wirless security for the other devices?RLMEsq

Nope. The Play Link has its own security system -- the two units come as a matched pair that can only connect to each other. They don't have any effect on your wireless settings; the "send" unit (in quotes because either of the boxes can attach to either the router or your Xbox) and the "receive" units simply plug into the ethernet ports of your router and Xbox. They create a wireless bridge, which your router and Xbox see as a cable connection.

My router settings -- like WEP and MAC address filtering -- for my notebook, desktop & media center computers, and my networked print/scan machine, are completely unaffected.

I like this concept and had thought about getting it "back when" as a less expensive alternative to the MS adapter until I saw it only transmits at 1.5 Mbps (yup 1.5 not 15). Ouch - that is slow. If it works well for you with gaming - then GREAT, I'd be afraid that it just doesn't have enough bandwidth though.

I went with the MS product and while it's a little pricey - it works flawlessly. :)

cmdrmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cmdrmonkey
Member since 2004 • 994 Posts

$100 for a wireless adapter is highway robbery. They typically cost $30-40 for PCs. MS knew most people don't have their tv anywhere near their router, hence they get away with over-charging.

Get a wireless router from Linksys or Buffalo that's compatible with dd-wrt, which should be around $50. Flash it with dd-wrt, and set it up as a wireless bridge. That will also give youa few ethernet ports for anything else you have connected to your tv. You spend half as much and get a lot more for your money.

If you don't know what dd-wrt is, type it into google and read the wiki. It's powerful third party firmware that works with broadcom chipset based routers. Make sure the router you get is compatible.The Linksys WRT54GL and Buffalo routers are popular choices.

jphillips1868

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jphillips1868

Thanks again. It looks like I am going to have to do something on this front soon. The wife was complaining about the ethernet cordI have run from my computer room to the xbox. She wanted to know how hard it would be to just plug it in whenever I wanted to use the xbox.

LobaFett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LobaFett
Member since 2007 • 287 Posts

I would definetely recommend the wireless adapter I love mine and it works greatghostlybandit

i concur