Will Xbox Live be the same with the new Xbox? Same gamertag, points, etc?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gorf_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gorf_basic
Member since 2002 • 543 Posts

I've been wondering about this: will everything transfer over with the new Xbox? Or will they create a new Xbox Live where you'll have to make new gamertags, and have to purchase new Microsoft points?

I don't think the latter will happen because many users will be mad that they can't transfer their accounts over, but you never know.

Yet, if they do create a new form of Xbox Live, they can probably increase your friends list beyond 99. I remember hearing on the Major Nelson podcast that it's really difficult for them to expand the friends list beyond that number with the current platform. Kind of strange if you think about it. It'd be weird to have limited friends list on Facebook or MySpace. Most online things like that allow you to have an unlimited number of friends.

9 more days until the announcement so hopefully we'll find out soon unless they do what Sony did with their PS4 announcement where they just show the controller and some (notable) games.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
MS hasn't even announced the new system yet. wait until they do that on May 21st, then maybe we will know.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Yes it's all the same, it's already shown to be that way with the Windows phones and Windows 8.

There is 100% certainty that it's all going to stay the same. (points may go to actual dollars but that's besides the point)

Gorf_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gorf_basic

That's a relief. I think creating a whole new system would have a lot of people angry over having near useless Microsoft Points, and thousands of achievement points on a console that would be eventually set aside and have fewer and fewer people playing it.

Yet, you don't quite have proof since there is no confirmation on this, correct? Just want to be sure.

I asked this question because it seemed like something that (although not confirmed) is most likely going to carry-over to the next Xbox.

laurson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 laurson1
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I would've been happier with it because I could applaud their ambition.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jaysonguy

Yet, you don't quite have proof since there is no confirmation on this, correct? Just want to be sure.

Gorf_basic

The proof is that there's been two new game platforms made since the Xbox 360 and they use the same exact system.

It's very clear that this is the system that Microsoft wants for their gaming platforms, the new console will be an extension of that.

ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ShaineTheNerd
Member since 2012 • 1578 Posts

I've been wondering about this: will everything transfer over with the new Xbox? Or will they create a new Xbox Live where you'll have to make new gamertags, and have to purchase new Microsoft points?

I don't think the latter will happen because many users will be mad that they can't transfer their accounts over, but you never know.

Yet, if they do create a new form of Xbox Live, they can probably increase your friends list beyond 99. I remember hearing on the Major Nelson podcast that it's really difficult for them to expand the friends list beyond that number with the current platform. Kind of strange if you think about it. It'd be weird to have limited friends list on Facebook or MySpace. Most online things like that allow you to have an unlimited number of friends.

9 more days until the announcement so hopefully we'll find out soon unless they do what Sony did with their PS4 announcement where they just show the controller and some (notable) games.

Gorf_basic
I can almost guarantee that you will not have to restart over from scratch. They allowed people to switch from Xbox to Xbox 360, so I bet they will allow you to transfer just as easily with the new Xbox. But, May 21st is the date, sir. As hard as I find it to do, you just gotta wait.
Warablo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Warablo13
Member since 2009 • 1289 Posts
Its not confirmed but its very likely that at least our Gamertags and points will carry over..
Gorf_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gorf_basic

It seems pretty clear that Microsoft will transfer over gamertags and (most likely) achievement points, but do you guys think Microsoft Live points will also tranfer over? I have so much remaining after the Black Friday sale, but I can't seem to find a lot of stuff to purchase. I'm naturally stingy with that stuff and don't like 90% DLC out there, and (to me at least) there actually a whole lot of Xbox Live games exclusive to the Xbox that are worth playing (almost all are cheaper on PC).

Also, the transition of Xbox Live from the original Xbox to the 360 is a good point, but from what I remember Xbox Live was a much more simpler and primitive service compared to now. You had your gamertag and your friends list, but that was about it, correct? Were there points at that time? I think not, but I don't remember (maybe there was so little to purchase that very few people actually got Microsoft points). If all three existed and transferred over, then I think I have a near-confirmation there... unless Microsoft does something crazy like not transferring over the points because accounting/tax/etc. purposes while transfering everything else. Probably several upset gamers over that, but it still hasn't been confirmed that the next Xbox won't need to be online all the time.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#10 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Their Live setup will stay the same.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaysonguy

It seems pretty clear that Microsoft will transfer over gamertags and (most likely) achievement points, but do you guys think Microsoft Live points will also tranfer over? I have so much remaining after the Black Friday sale, but I can't seem to find a lot of stuff to purchase. I'm naturally stingy with that stuff and don't like 90% DLC out there, and (to me at least) there actually a whole lot of Xbox Live games exclusive to the Xbox that are worth playing (almost all are cheaper on PC).

Also, the transition of Xbox Live from the original Xbox to the 360 is a good point, but from what I remember Xbox Live was a much more simpler and primitive service compared to now. You had your gamertag and your friends list, but that was about it, correct? Were there points at that time? I think not, but I don't remember (maybe there was so little to purchase that very few people actually got Microsoft points). If all three existed and transferred over, then I think I have a near-confirmation there... unless Microsoft does something crazy like not transferring over the points because accounting/tax/etc. purposes while transfering everything else. Probably several upset gamers over that, but it still hasn't been confirmed that the next Xbox won't need to be online all the time.

Gorf_basic

There's nothing to transfer over, Live is Live.

Why do you keep thinking that Live is only an Xbox thing?

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blueresident87

[QUOTE="Gorf_basic"]

Jaysonguy

There's nothing to transfer over, Live is Live.

Why do you keep thinking that Live is only an Xbox thing?

I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from either...

It's actually a Microsoft live account or something, not just an account for when you turn on your xbox. It would require no/very little effort to keep this in place.

shadow_Metroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#13 shadow_Metroid
Member since 2005 • 1631 Posts

MAY 21. MAY 21. THE TWENTY FIRST OF MAY!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#14 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i doubt they will leave all the gamertags and achievments, they did it for the xbox to the 360. So i wouldn't worry
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#15 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Most things will probably carry over. When the 360 succeeded the xbox your subscription status and gamertag carried over. I don't remember how the currency worked there but I doubt the ms point you have will disappear
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#16 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

xbox used real currency by creditcards the switch to 360 brought ur tag over but points were new to the xbl and im sure theyll stay as for ms points thats likely to change back to real currency like wiiu and ps3 do

Gorf_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gorf_basic

http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-axing-points-report-6408381

No word on what they going to do with current members who have points. Convert points to cash? I don't think they'll do that. Have both cash and point purchases? That seems to be the best way to resolve it.

Or this could be false rumor and Microsoft has no plans to add cash purchases...

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-axing-points-report-6408381

No word on what they going to do with current members who have points. Convert points to cash? I don't think they'll do that. Have both cash and point purchases? That seems to be the best way to resolve it.

Or this could be false rumor and Microsoft has no plans to add cash purchases...

Gorf_basic

Not seeing why they couldn't just convert the points to cash...

Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
I'll be pretty annoyed if I have to make a new gamertag. Also, I dont see them getting rid of achievements anytime soon. The biggest thing I want for next gen platforms is bigger multiplayer games. Kick it up a notch, dont stick with the 24 player format. Yeah, it's good for Call of Duty and such but Battlefield? No. Love the game, but some of the maps are just too big for console players.
Gorf_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gorf_basic

Tax or other financial reasons I think. Not an accountant or a tax lawyer though. It seems much more complicated and probably more expensive to convert all remaining points to cash. And there is that thing that people paid different amounts for their points. Anyways, I think the basic problem is people already bought the points with cash and then convert the points back into cash. Simpler and cheaper just to have two prices for DLC and other stuff on Marketplace? You can either pay $5 or 400 points rather then converting all outstanding points to cash. Just a feeling I have though.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blueresident87

Gorf_basic

Tax or other financial reasons I think. Not an accountant or a tax lawyer though. It seems much more complicated and probably more expensive to convert all remaining points to cash. And there is that thing that people paid different amounts for their points. Anyways, I think the basic problem is people already bought the points with cash and then convert the points back into cash. Simpler and cheaper just to have two prices for DLC and other stuff on Marketplace? You can either pay $5 or 400 points rather then converting all outstanding points to cash. Just a feeling I have though.

They just need to get rid of the point system, doesn't matter how. Having both is pointless, and points were a bad idea in the first place.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jaysonguy

Gorf_basic

No, it's the same thing

There are no restrictions at all about converting points to money. People spent money to get those points and they can't get their money back no matter if they're points or money.

It's a non issue.

Gorf_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gorf_basic

No, it's the same thing

There are no restrictions at all about converting points to money. People spent money to get those points and they can't get their money back no matter if they're points or money.

It's a non issue.

Jaysonguy

They can't get their money back? Or did you mean to say that they can get their money back?

Are you saying that Microsoft can easily issue money back to point holders? Or that it's an impossibility?

How are you so certain it's a non-issue?

We can't currently convert our points into dollars and I doubt that would be an option in the future. Microsoft is not going to issue checks to zero out people's live points. I'd be really surprised if they did that.

Only thing more surprising would be if they just voided remaining points by making them useless. That would probably create some lawsuits from angry consumers if they did that.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No, it's the same thing

It's a non issue.

Gorf_basic

They can't get their money back? Or did you mean to say that they can get their money back?

Are you saying that Microsoft can easily issue money back to point holders? Or that it's an impossibility?

We can't currently convert our points into dollars and I doubt that would be an option in the future. Microsoft is not going to issue checks to zero out people's live points. I'd be really surprised if they did that.

Only thing more surprising would be if they just voided remaining points by making them useless. That would probably create some lawsuits from angry consumers if they did that.

They can not

You're really making this 100 times harder then it needs to be.

I buy 80 points for a dollar and have it applied to my Live account, Microsoft decides that they'd rather do money instead of points and they turn my 80 points into one dollar. Now I didn't gain anything and they didn't have to account for any kind of change.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Blueresident87

[QUOTE="Gorf_basic"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No, it's the same thing

It's a non issue.

Jaysonguy

They can not

I buy 80 points for a dollar and have it applied to my Live account, Microsoft decides that they'd rather do money instead of points and they turn my 80 points into one dollar. Now I didn't gain anything and they didn't have to account for any kind of change.

Tell them again...

Why in the hell is this so difficult for people to comprehend? 

MrSpieleMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrSpieleMaster
Member since 2013 • 89 Posts
I hope so. That would be awesome to keep also stats of your old xbox 360 games.
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Gorf_basic"]

Blueresident87

They can not

Tell them again...

Why in the hell is this so difficult for people to comprehend? 

Haha yea. I think he's wondering if they convert your points to physical dollars and mail you a check for it. No, they would convert your points to dollars and stay on your xbox live account.