Why would anyone buy Vanquish?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

greengloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 greengloop
Member since 2004 • 285 Posts

Why would anyone shell out $45 or whatever for Vanquish, when the game is just 7/8 hours long, has no multiplayer, and going by the Gamespot review, it doesn't have a particularly strong replay value. There are games that you can play again and again and again and not get bored, there are games that have an awesome multiplayer that you can keep playing for months, there are games that have a long single player campaign (40-50+ hours) and Vanquish doesn't seem to be either. So then why would one get it? Am I missing something here?

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
I tried the demo and didn't like it.
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

...because they like it?

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
It was recently on sale for $16.99 so there goes that argument. Also very few games have 40-50 hours for a single playthrough save maybe RPG's and Grand Theft Auto if you stretch it..
Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

So then why would one get it? greengloop

Because I can.

Got it for $20 and was well worth it.

Awesome game.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
sounds like you bought it...
greengloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 greengloop
Member since 2004 • 285 Posts

Nah I havent bought it but I'm thinking of getting it so wanted to know what motivates folk to buy it. I probably wont get it discounted so I dont know if I should pay $45 for a 7 hour game.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

Because it's an astounding game. I'd rather pay $45 (which I did) for a short but sweet 4-8 hour game that leaves me wanting to play it again the moment it's over, than a 20+ hour game filled with mediocrity that leaves me thanking god when the credits roll. Much like Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner and Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, Vanquish was a fast-paced game with a lot of unique setpiece battles and boss fights. I just finished replaying it for the third time recently, and I'm planning to start doing speed runs and no-death runs soon.

randallion119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 randallion119
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

...because they like it?

skooks

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

[QUOTE="greengloop"]

So then why would one get it? Serial_Killa

Because I can.

Got it for $20 and was well worth it.

Awesome game.

This.

Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts
Because it's an awesome game. It's sad that you've stopped judging video games by how fun they are.
Avatar image for looseyourself87
looseyourself87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 looseyourself87
Member since 2004 • 307 Posts

yes its definitely fun... but I was expecting a whole lot more coz i was really hyped up when I first got to know that it was from the makers of Resident Evil series

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I bought Vanquish. It was worth every penny. That game is amazing and it does have replay value. It just depends if you want to play the harder difficulties, get better at the game, search for the hidden statues, do time runs, get all achievements etc etc. I buy lots of games so I don't have the time to spend months playing the same game over and over. TBH, I don't understand how people can play nothing but Halo or COD multi-player. That would drive me crazy. I get bored after half an hour. If you can only afford a couple of games a year then it probably wouldn't be a good idea to get Vanquish. If, like me, you like to experience lots of different games and like TPS's, Vanquish is one of the best ever made. Who gives a **** if it isn't 30 hours long? Play through it, move onto something else, and go back to it after a few months and play through it again. That's what I do. I just finished my second run of Gears 2 after having it sat untouched on my shelf for over two years. To the people who said they didn't get it because of the demo, I know what you mean. I didn't like the demo either. Thing with Vanquish is it's different to anything you've played. It doesn't make sense and it won't make sense after playing just a short demo. Once you've spent more time with it and start to understand it, it's awesome. Then you want to go back and play missions you've already beat because now you know how it should be played.
Nemesis4747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nemesis4747
Member since 2004 • 1104 Posts

i bought it on principal to support sp only games, since of all this multiplayer junk that had plagued gaming as of late.

despite all that i enjoyed it and playyed through it a couple of times

XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

Because the game's price is rapidly going down. It's already only $30 at Target.

momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 momentum_god
Member since 2011 • 779 Posts

Because theres alot more to do in it then just go through the story once, there are the challenges and the gameplay is actually fun giving actual replayability (instead of just other stuff to do) getting platinum would probably take awhile for the average person to platinum it

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#17 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I LOVED the demo. It's $30 on amazon. I'll be buying it asap. But no, I will only pay tops $30 for it.
Dave_442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dave_442
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

I bought the game as it looked somewhat original and fun, it was 40 euro and I really enjoyed Platinum games previous title.

Since then I've played through it maybe 5-6 times, which is a lot more than other games Ive purchased with tacked on multiplayer.

jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 jayd02
Member since 2007 • 802 Posts

You must be a gamer from this newer generation of online and all you do is play the online. To me I need a game that has a good story first, good multi last. Vanquish is just a flat out good game and didn't have multi which is sad, but the game itself is awesome.

The game may not be as long as you want it to be, but then again, this gen I think we have seen much shorter games then the last gen and that is because devs are putting in more work on visuals then story.

All in all the game is good and your judgment istn't fair. The game is fun even though it doesn't have online. Also you can find a cheaper price somewhere its not that hard. You shouldn't judge a game by price either. Fun is priceless to me. You can't judge a game by how much it costs, its just not fair. That doesn't mean I would spend hundreds for a single game but Im not gonna judge a game saying "It just cost too much so its not that great because of the price tag"

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
Gamefly, problem solved.
akai_reaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 akai_reaver
Member since 2004 • 7754 Posts
I bought the game when it released. Played through it twice on normal & tried to on hard difficulty. I don't regret it. It was a well made game even without the online. Very fun, and well worth it.
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pills4louis

I love how people cry about the lack of multiplayer. They need to take the bullet-time mechanic into account. Remember the slowdown in Killing Floor, whenever someone gets a headshot? In that game, it helped the rest of your team get more headshots, but it got annoying after a while. How would you like a versus game off Vanquish with manually-triggered bullet time which affects everyone in the game? It would be pointless, since part of the bullet time in Vanquish is having an unfair advantage over the enemy robots. If everyone's in bullet-time, then it's the same as real-time, just slower. In which case, they might as well remove bullet-time from multiplayer, except doing so would remove one of the key elements that made Vanquish fun. It's designed as a single-player game, and excellently so. Again, I paid $45 for my copy, and got much more than $60 worth of sheer fun through replays and the incentive to outdo myself via scoring and time attacks.

zombiejonny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 zombiejonny
Member since 2003 • 8277 Posts
i don't know about you guys but i got this game as a gift for my birthday and it was amazing. I found the graphics to be really good and even though the single player was pretty short i had a lot of fun playing it.
Nooberman2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nooberman2k
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts
Bought it day one and loved it. Played it twice through back to back, now I'm working through quite a backlog intending to have another playthrough later in the year.
Harloquin331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Harloquin331
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Love vanquish but i haven't brought it, played the demo and first mission or so in the game. A game being stand alone without multiplayer is nothing to get upset for in other games like bioshock multiplayer offered little in the weight of the big online shooter. The insidious nature of "must have multiplayer" is worring for a lot of really good games have had their enitre genre changed for this persuit, like the upcoming and previous resident evil titles that still won't satisfy the group looking for a mood making solitary horror experience because (squadbased+explosions+current trend favorite=money). The only reason I haven't picked up the game is simply other games are drawing more of my attention but keep an eye on it and pick it up when the price is right for you.
xxKai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 xxKai
Member since 2011 • 2689 Posts

Loved the game, worth every penny, gameplay was amazing, story was great, graphics was astounding, It was pretty sweet to play a fast paced shooter that gets your blood pumpin.

Sure the campaign was short, I finished it in a short amount of time but that was just a sweep through, I barely found those statues and I seldom got the achievements and I only finished it on normal. Oh, and those challenges? they're freakin hard :(

About multiplayer, you know they couldn't make a multiplayer out of this game because of the certain stuff they put it in, most notably the reflex mode, I mean it's a big part of campaign, how will they put that in multiplayer? I do think it's a very succesfull game though and I am already seeing a sequel (hoping)

A lot of the members here have solved your problems on the pricing, try gamefly, or just rent it out for a day or two, it's definitely worth the play

Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

Its a game that you try and beat on hardest diffictulty and with the fastest time.

Vault_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Vault_Monkey
Member since 2010 • 209 Posts
There are probably a hundred different games that fall into this category, you seem to have a particular problem with Vanquish though. Whats your beef man?
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

To play a fun game instead of some slow, clunky cinematic piece of crap that rockstar plopped out.

piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
WTH??? The game is awesome despite it's lenght, I didn't replay it because I got Black Ops, but I enjoyed every moment of it
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 firefox59

To play a fun game instead of some slow, clunky cinematic piece of crap that rockstar plopped out.

krunkfu2

Lol. Nice random RDR burn.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts
I thought it was more like 5 hours long, but it's an awesome 5 hours and very replayable, I admit I wasn't as impressed with the demo as I was the entire game... anyhow, $45, should be cheaper now shouldn't it? Just checked Amazon and it's a hair $28.89 there, it'll probably get cheaper soon, wouldn't pass up when it hits a flat $20, definitely worth it, I got it for $35 at Kmart when there was a discount and I don't regret it... but yeah, again, I was much more impressed with the entire game than I was with the demo
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#33 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Because it's awesome

PabloEscobar20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 PabloEscobar20
Member since 2009 • 837 Posts

Lol I finished the game on hard in 5 hours. Then I finished it again in 3 hours on Normal.

If a game takes 3 hours (no matter in which difficulty), then you know it's a complete fail on the developers part when it ships for 60$.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 pills4louis

Lol I finished the game on hard in 5 hours. Then I finished it again in 3 hours on Normal.

If a game takes 3 hours (no matter in which difficulty), then you know it's a complete fail on the developers part when it ships for 60$.

PabloEscobar20

...You are joking, right? I import multiple Japanese bullet hell arcade shooters every year, usually for $70 or $80 a pop, and get my money's worth through countless play-throughs. Vanquish is similar, in that you try to outdo yourself, whether you're going for time, score, or a no-death run. It's a modern, graphically-impressive cover shooter, but it has very arcade-like qualities. (examples: scoring system, the weapon power-up system, old-school hard difficulty modes...) Also, the game is impossible to beat in under 6 hours of gameplay. (8 hours including cutscenes) It's been researched, speed-ran, the whole nine yards. Your "3 hours" claim is BS and I can hunt down the article to prove it if you don't believe me. And even if it was 3 hours (which it isn't), Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner, anyone? Arguably one of the best games for the PS2? That was a 3-hour game. And it was magnificent. Stop whining. Again, some of us would rather have 3-6 hours of amazing non-stop action than 20-30 hours of Rockstar garbage.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#36 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Because it features the single best shooter campaign that I have ever played through. It was so amazing that I played through it once, then played through it again without dying and then played through it again on Hard and after I get my fill of Bad Company 2 I'll probably go back to play through it on God Hard.

Vanquish is the highest quality shooter I have ever played and I have played a ton of them across multiple platforms starting with Wolf 3D. This gen alone I've played Halo 3,Halo 3:ODST,Halo: Reach, CoD4, MW2, Black Ops, Rainbow Six Vegas, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Crysis, Crysis: Warhead, Crysis 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, F.E.A.R., Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Quake 4, The Orange Box, BioShock, Left 4 Dead, and more. Not one single game out of that list matches the sheer insanity of playing through Vanquish's campaign. That game is literally holy $*** moment after holy $*** moment from beginning to end.

XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#37 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

To answer the original question yes, I would not buy it for a high price. $60 or $45. But I did play the demo and it was awesome so I went to Ebay and got it for way cheap.

berserker2389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 berserker2389
Member since 2010 • 4627 Posts

Because the game's price is rapidly going down. It's already only $30 at Target.

XboxGuy1537
saw it for 22 on ebay
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 pills4louis

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vanquish-blog-entry

5 hours, 4 minutes. Watch and weep.

And again: As someone who imports 40-minute shmup ports on the 360 for $70-80 a pop, I really don't see any validity in crying over a significantly lower-priced, much longer game. Anyone complaining about paying $60 for an incredibly thrilling, "holy $*** moment after holy $*** moment from beginning to end" (as NeonNinja so elequently and accurately put it) epic game either needs a better job or needs to get one in the first place and stop living allowance-to-allowance. God's sake, I paid $50 for the import Sin & Punishment on the N64, and if we're counting speed runs, that's technically a 39-minute game. Vanquish is $10 more and at least 5 hours longer. :lol:

On a related note, I paid $50 for Sin & Punishment: Star Successor on the Wii last year. 3-hour game (not counting the first time through, which was roughly 4 hours on easy, 6 on normal, and 10 on hard, due to Treasure's own blend of hard-but-fair difficulty), loved every second of it, and replayed it over a dozen times. Much like Vanquish, it had incredibly tight controls, well-thought-out setpiece battles in its stage designs, and even more memorable and unique setpiece boss battles. (Also, a delightfully nonsensical story that takes a back seat to the outstanding action.) Quality > quantity, and it was chock-full of the former. So is Vanquish. Deal with it.

xxKai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xxKai
Member since 2011 • 2689 Posts

I agree with everything pills4louis said :P

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
Maybe because it interests them? Not every gamer have the same preference. Personally, I didn't purchase it, but those that did shouldn't be knocked for it. There are many that do not play competitively online and prefer single player only. 7/8 hours seems to be the norm for most shooters.
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

new generation gamer checklist for not buying a game:no online multiplayer, only 7 hour single player

javafriek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 javafriek
Member since 2008 • 752 Posts

new generation gamer checklist for not buying a game:no online multiplayer, only 7 hour single player

BLAS1AN
That seems to be the new standard..sad.
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pills4louis

[QUOTE="BLAS1AN"]

javafriek

Sad indeed. God forbid they get transported back to the 90's before they were born. "WHAT?! SUPER MARIO BROS. 3 IS A 10-MINUTE GAME WITH NO CO-OP? ONLY VERSUS? AND IT'S NOT EVEN ONLINE? FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU"

z50macdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 z50macdaddy
Member since 2010 • 498 Posts

Am I the only one who did not know what Vanquish was until it was released?

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 firefox59

Am I the only one who did not know what Vanquish was until it was released?

z50macdaddy

Hey, what is that .gif in your sig from? Lol

Sweet_Genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sweet_Genocide
Member since 2009 • 777 Posts

People would buy it for the same reason they'd buy the new Tiger Woods game or the next Call of Duty. They like it. Not everyone has the same taste.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

[QUOTE="javafriek"][QUOTE="BLAS1AN"]

pills4louis

Sad indeed. God forbid they get transported back to the 90's before they were born. "WHAT?! SUPER MARIO BROS. 3 IS A 10-MINUTE GAME WITH NO CO-OP? ONLY VERSUS? AND IT'S NOT EVEN ONLINE? FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU"

thats is so true. "Contra only has offline co-op? no matchmaking?"

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 pills4louis

thats is so true. "Contra only has offline co-op? no matchmaking?"

BLAS1AN

Hahah, Contra would be more like this:

"Only offline co-op? No matchmaking? LIVES?! No regenerating health, and LIVES!!?!!!?! And you only get three of them?! And... What the heck, I don't get to start from a checkpoint after using a continue..? And there's limited continues in the first place? Who thought that would be a good idea? Why would they do that, why would they do that to anyone? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU"

survivor9712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 survivor9712
Member since 2010 • 366 Posts

krunkfu2

RDR