Why won't MS let us make our own servers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
Instead of charging $50 a year for XBL, would it be possible for MS to let us host our own games? Maybe charge us a one-time fee of $50 or something and let us download some sort of 360 shell for our PCs. That shell would then be able to recognize and run 360 software and use them to host games. Sure there'd be no national leaderboards, but I don't really care for them as long as I get to play for free.
scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts
It wont happen.
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
Because you would be playing for free. Don't you think MS likes the money they're mkaing off of XBL?
APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts
You might not care about national leader boards, but others do. Also there is no reason for Ms to convert to user servers and until they have some sort of reason they never will.
dangerd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 dangerd0g
Member since 2007 • 239 Posts
what do you expect microsoft is a greedy corporation no offense to the 360
Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Radiozo
Member since 2006 • 2413 Posts

Works fine the way it is. They just need to stop people with crappy upload speeds from hosting games.

Shouldnt be that hard to detect what upload speed you got and limit the number of allowed players after what upload speed you have.

Samyos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Samyos
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts

Works fine the way it is. They just need to stop people with crappy upload speeds from hosting games.

Shouldnt be that hard to detect what upload speed you got and limit the number of allowed players after what upload speed you have.

Radiozo

Agree

pimpbizkit01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pimpbizkit01
Member since 2004 • 119 Posts
Actually the players are hosting the games. Havnt you ever played a game and it said reconnecting etc in the middle? When that happens the host left. Games like RB6 you can clearly be the host(the server as you speak of) and games like halo(matchmaking) the host(server/a player just like you) is picked automatically.
blue_tape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blue_tape
Member since 2007 • 2868 Posts
ch33tz0rz and h4x0rz for the lose. that's why.
angelfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 angelfly
Member since 2003 • 4494 Posts
This thread is funny because that's what they already do. Xbox Live games are P2P. The only games that use dedictated servers are EA games, FF XI , and PSU everything else is P2P. Live just makes the process a lot easier. The reason they have it that way it so the companies to have to worry about paying extra to keep their servers up. EA works around it so that they can force people to buy their yearly sports releases.
Avatar image for MJ0LNIR_SPARTAN
MJ0LNIR_SPARTAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MJ0LNIR_SPARTAN
Member since 2007 • 409 Posts
Because then you would not have to pay and also XBOX Live is a P2P program.
fatty5xl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fatty5xl
Member since 2003 • 217 Posts
no not gonna happen , maybe your wii will let you someday. *cough* lmao
andrewhateme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 andrewhateme
Member since 2007 • 286 Posts
Ok, then if XBL is P2P then why are we being charged for it?? It would make sense for MS to maintain there own servers since we are paying for it. I will jsut call up MS and have them reimburse me everytime i host a public match....HAHA ya right.
angelfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 angelfly

Ok, then if XBL is P2P then why are we being charged for it?? It would make sense for MS to maintain there own servers since we are paying for it. I will jsut call up MS and have them reimburse me everytime i host a public match....HAHA ya right.andrewhateme

They charge because people will pay. Another question is why to they charge and still have ads on the dashboard? Thats why after my initial 30 days runs out I won't be paying.

Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lance_Kalzas
Member since 2007 • 2135 Posts
The trend towards charging for online gaming is going to continue to grow and there's nothing you can do about it. MS gives a great deal with only charging $50.00 per year for unlimited gaming and all the games that support it. Compare that to WoW, EQ, and the slew of online games for the PC where EACH one charges you $10-$15 per month. People cry about this way too much. Get a job if you don't have one and regardless, get over it.
angelfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 angelfly

The trend towards charging for online gaming is going to continue to grow and there's nothing you can do about it. MS gives a great deal with only charging $50.00 per year for unlimited gaming and all the games that support it. Compare that to WoW, EQ, and the slew of online games for the PC where EACH one charges you $10-$15 per month. People cry about this way too much. Get a job if you don't have one and regardless, get over it.Lance_Kalzas

There is no trend. Games that use dedicated server like MMOs charge to fund the servers. Other than that MS with Live is the only one charging. Nintendo and Sony both offer free online gaming and Sony even offers dedicated servers which they have said will be paid for through ads. Then you look at MS who makes you pay and still gives you ads and no dedicated servers. If you want to be a tool go right ahead and defend Live a you want.

jmann234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jmann234
Member since 2007 • 55 Posts
They need to make money, for their emploies, and them selfs, if they didnt charge us there would be no live
PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PikaPichu

The trend towards charging for online gaming is going to continue to grow and there's nothing you can do about it. MS gives a great deal with only charging $50.00 per year for unlimited gaming and all the games that support it. Compare that to WoW, EQ, and the slew of online games for the PC where EACH one charges you $10-$15 per month. People cry about this way too much. Get a job if you don't have one and regardless, get over it.Lance_Kalzas

Good points raised by all. I can't be the only one who doesn't care much for global scorekeeping. I wouldn't mind if it were more local. Take games like Counter Strike on the PC for example. The servers are provided by the community. A lot of servers have admins and stuff that'll boot and ban cheaters and hackers. Of course there are also servers that aren't as well looked after and players can run wild. Since it's free, you really can't ask for much and I'm willing to take that. A couple of other examples of decent free services are Blizzard's Battle.net and a variety of the smaller MMOs.

Of course big MMOs like WoW and EQ are going to charge for their services. They have good reason to. But XBL games aren't exactly like MMOs. If WoW were to be released on the 360, users will likely be charged a monthly $15 fee in addition to the XBL fee.

Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts

[QUOTE="Lance_Kalzas"]The trend towards charging for online gaming is going to continue to grow and there's nothing you can do about it. MS gives a great deal with only charging $50.00 per year for unlimited gaming and all the games that support it. Compare that to WoW, EQ, and the slew of online games for the PC where EACH one charges you $10-$15 per month. People cry about this way too much. Get a job if you don't have one and regardless, get over it.angelfly

There is no trend. Games that use dedicated server like MMOs charge to fund the servers. Other than that MS with Live is the only one charging. Nintendo and Sony both offer free online gaming and Sony even offers dedicated servers which they have said will be paid for through ads. Then you look at MS who makes you pay and still gives you ads and no dedicated servers. If you want to be a tool go right ahead and defend Live a you want.

Hmmm.. OK I'll be a useful tool and pay $50 a year to play games over xbox live ,friends list, voice chat, messages, downloadable content, demos.... Yep. Enjoy your Sony and Nintendo network I know Im enjoying Live and have been for 5 years now.

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PikaPichu
[QUOTE="angelfly"]

[QUOTE="Lance_Kalzas"]The trend towards charging for online gaming is going to continue to grow and there's nothing you can do about it. MS gives a great deal with only charging $50.00 per year for unlimited gaming and all the games that support it. Compare that to WoW, EQ, and the slew of online games for the PC where EACH one charges you $10-$15 per month. People cry about this way too much. Get a job if you don't have one and regardless, get over it.CorporateHammer

Hmmm.. OK I'll be a useful tool and pay $50 a year to play games over xbox live ,friends list, voice chat, messages, downloadable content, demos.... Yep. Enjoy your Sony and Nintendo network I know Im enjoying Live and have been for 5 years now.

You can keep paying $50 a year. I'm just proposing a system that'd offer most of those features for free.

angelfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 angelfly
[QUOTE="angelfly"]

[QUOTE="Lance_Kalzas"]The trend towards charging for online gaming is going to continue to grow and there's nothing you can do about it. MS gives a great deal with only charging $50.00 per year for unlimited gaming and all the games that support it. Compare that to WoW, EQ, and the slew of online games for the PC where EACH one charges you $10-$15 per month. People cry about this way too much. Get a job if you don't have one and regardless, get over it.CorporateHammer

Last time I checked the free silver account offered everything except online play so yeah your only paying for p2p.

grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
moolah, muff said.
BaconB1ts123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BaconB1ts123
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts
[QUOTE="CorporateHammer"][QUOTE="angelfly"]

[QUOTE="Lance_Kalzas"]The trend towards charging for online gaming is going to continue to grow and there's nothing you can do about it. MS gives a great deal with only charging $50.00 per year for unlimited gaming and all the games that support it. Compare that to WoW, EQ, and the slew of online games for the PC where EACH one charges you $10-$15 per month. People cry about this way too much. Get a job if you don't have one and regardless, get over it.PikaPichu

You can keep paying $50 a year. I'm just proposing a system that'd offer most of those features for free.

Well there is always XboxConnect or Kai which are free and work pretty well. the only thing is that there is not alot of ppl on it because Live is so much more stream lined. Of all the money I put into gaming every year, I don't mind paying $59 (CAN) to have a well maintained setup with all the demos and "updates" *patches*.

gamer4life85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamer4life85
Member since 2003 • 1203 Posts
We pay for live cause it doesn't suck ----Nuff Said
J_Myster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 J_Myster
Member since 2004 • 127 Posts

[QUOTE="andrewhateme"]Ok, then if XBL is P2P then why are we being charged for it?? It would make sense for MS to maintain there own servers since we are paying for it. I will jsut call up MS and have them reimburse me everytime i host a public match....HAHA ya right.angelfly

They charge because people will pay. Another question is why to they charge and still have ads on the dashboard? Thats why after my initial 30 days runs out I won't be paying.

Hmmm...And thats why you don't have cable tv...because of the commercials?

angelfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 angelfly
Nice try but commercials are from the stations themeselves. I don't pay Fox, Comedy Central, etc. If you want to compare it to something then compare it to in-game advertising. I not the least bit surprised to see so many MS apologist coming out.
ibanezdropd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 ibanezdropd
Member since 2003 • 1844 Posts

what do you expect microsoft is a greedy corporation no offense to the 360dangerd0g

well considering the aren't makin profit on the 360 yet, there was one month, but thats really it....... they can make money back with live

Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts
Wait, dont we pay for water and you want free xbox live? Im refering to drinking water I understand the need to pay for sewage. Honestly corporations pollute our water and charge us to filter it to drink, 1 of the largest needs for life and you want free xbox live........
Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Aaron89
Member since 2003 • 3377 Posts

I remember back in the day of Return to Castle Wolfenstien for the original Xbox, and one of the first great Xbox Live games. It was a great online system which allowed users to create dedicated servers so others can use.

It would test the connection, and give you the recommended settings. Why it seems no other game has adopted this is beyond me - since it seemed to work pretty good. A mere voting system worked well too (for banning/kicking players, team changes, et cetera).

This would at least help fix all these "Host Advantage" whiners, would it not? Anyway, the people with amazing connections got to flaunt it, and other's got to use it. A win-win.