why pre-order a game?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ocdodger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ocdodger
Member since 2007 • 110 Posts

do games realy run out on the day they are released? im talking about anticipated games, i.e. bioshock or halo3. honestly ive never had a problem getting a hold of a sought after game on their release dates. so has anyone had to wait cause the store they wanted to buy it at ran out of copies?

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#2 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts

Well, games can run out...But mostly you can walk into a store and know you are walking out with a copy of the game...AND you aren't paying for it all at once, your preorder money is subtracted.

I don't see why people don't preorder things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
deactivated-5f033ecf40fed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
Member since 2004 • 2665 Posts
I preorder because I like to know I won't have to worry about having cash for a great game on the day it's released.
Smoke89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Smoke89
Member since 2003 • 3575 Posts
I haven't pre-ordered in a very long time. Only games like Halo 2/GTA and that kinda stuff that are completely mainstream seem to be hard to get on launch these days.
king_bobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 king_bobo
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts
Well I always wait until the price goes down (i.e. 2 or 3 months) and despite what people say, it's not empty then, infact it's quite the opposite; what's more is that the bugs have been fixed...
55centv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 55centv2
Member since 2004 • 287 Posts
Yes they often do run out. Usually with expected games though. For example, good luck trying to get Halo 3 without a preorder. I remeber i almost didnt get Lost Planet, they had to check if they had enough, i didnt have a preorder.
Knubbz360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Knubbz360
Member since 2007 • 470 Posts
I have never pre-ordered a game until Bioshock came out. After first reading about the game and playing the demo, I knew I needed to have it on release day...which is why I pre-ordered it so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Plus, it's nice if you can completely pay of the price of the game before the release date so that way you can just walk in, grab it, and go without paying a dime when it finally is released.
jackle2071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 jackle2071
Member since 2004 • 5477 Posts
Well for the most part i don't Pre-Order meny games unless there BIG games! for exsample im glad i pre-ordered my copy of Bioshock limited Edtion cuz as of right now there all sold out on gamestop.com!
anti-Fear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 anti-Fear
Member since 2006 • 168 Posts

I pre-order just to make sure i get the game. but if i want to play the game as soon as i get it, i stay up till midnight at a store

and buy the game. I've done this a lot of times.

Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Radiozo
Member since 2006 • 2413 Posts

I preorder so that I am sure I will get the game the same week its released. I never pay in advance though. Thats just stupid.

I order all my games from www.videogamesplus.ca Probably have 12 preorders or so at the moment.

wildwild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wildwild
Member since 2004 • 1139 Posts
the only game that I couldnt find in storeson release day was GTA Vice City.
Avatar image for Dylan_B_Chillin
Dylan_B_Chillin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dylan_B_Chillin
Member since 2007 • 128 Posts
i have a question, doesnt the preorder cost like 5$ extra?
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts

i have a question, doesnt the preorder cost like 5$ extra?Dylan_B_Chillin

No, that money always comes out of the cost of the game when you pick it up.

Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Radiozo

i have a question, doesnt the preorder cost like 5$ extra?Dylan_B_Chillin

Not where Im ordering. Its the same price. I order online though and not in a shop.

JaSoN-SpAtZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JaSoN-SpAtZ
Member since 2007 • 101 Posts
i dont preorder i prebuy i buy the game before it comes out so i dont have 2 make sure i have the money when the game is released.
RodrigoFBruno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RodrigoFBruno
Member since 2005 • 153 Posts

So far i had only pre-ordered Halo as I always wanted to play from day 1.... Now with the discounts from liongames it's just make sense from a price perspective. I got bioshock, mass effect andhalo 3 for 39.99.

LORDOderus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 LORDOderus
Member since 2004 • 2061 Posts
well I know here if you don't pre order even a semi mainstream game your not gonna get it on release, Overlord is a perfect example of a game I didn't pre order and they were sold out for almost a week. Besides by pre ordering you can put a little money at a time on it until release and then not be stuck needed one big lump of cash.
ivanivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ivanivan
Member since 2003 • 1644 Posts
I only preorder when EB Games has some sort of deal going on. A few months back I preordered Assasians Creed, Bioshock, GTA 4, Halo 3, andWarhawk because they were allowing you to trade in 3 games for a upcoming release and I ended up saving a couple hundred bucks.
cokessweet7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 cokessweet7777
Member since 2006 • 1989 Posts
since then you know its all payed for (if you pay in full that is)
Bromz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Bromz
Member since 2005 • 1639 Posts
I preorder my games from game.co.uk and they have a reward card system which gives me more money off other stuff with preorders.
ziggy87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ziggy87
Member since 2006 • 873 Posts

the only game i ever preordered was halo 3

but i am going to pre order mass effect

Ranger_ISO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ranger_ISO
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I pre-order out of convience. I work 8-4:30 and its hard to run off during lunch to a store to get a game. Couple clicks on a website, pay it in full right there, and when I get home from work the game is waiting for me.
BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

I mainly pre-order to make sure there's a copy of the game reserved for me. Though, I've been lucky in a lot of cases where I didn't. Like Halo 2. The store I went to (which was an all media store) had a whole cart full of copies that weren't pre-orders on the day of release.

It's also convenient for smaller titles where the store might not carry many otherwise.

ocdodger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ocdodger

I pre-order out of convience. I work 8-4:30 and its hard to run off during lunch to a store to get a game. Couple clicks on a website, pay it in full right there, and when I get home from work the game is waiting for me.Ranger_ISO

damn! what website you use, that delivers same day. lol

ocdodger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ocdodger

i just find it hard to believe that with som many stores (best-buy, circuit ciy, eb games, gamestop, wal-mart, target, etc.....)that games would actually run out. like i said, till this day, no game has been unavailable for me.

brsfan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 brsfan22
Member since 2005 • 953 Posts
Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and Circuit City are all good places to go if you don't have a preorder and EB runs out.
Korn_Wallace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Korn_Wallace
Member since 2002 • 1950 Posts
I dont pre order because I can just walk into a best buy, target, circuit city, etc and find a copy the day it comes out! I have had times where i preordered and the store recieved less then expected and I had to wait for the next shipment. I havent pre ordered since Legend of Zelda for the N64.:)
kaltesgrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kaltesgrab
Member since 2006 • 27 Posts
Pre-ordering is pointless. I have only pre-ordered one game and that was FF12 for PS2. If I want to get a game on release day i just walk on into the store pick it up and have them charge my bank card. Its simple and fast, plus they wont ask me to pre-order something cuz they know i never do. And all u people talking about a lump of cash, ya its alot but if u have a 360 then get a job.
tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tkemory
Member since 2002 • 2191 Posts

Pre-ordering is pointless. I have only pre-ordered one game and that was FF12 for PS2. If I want to get a game on release day i just walk on into the store pick it up and have them charge my bank card. Its simple and fast, plus they wont ask me to pre-order something cuz they know i never do. And all u people talking about a lump of cash, ya its alot but if u have a 360 then get a job.kaltesgrab

Pre-ordering just makes sure you get a copy (and that the store has plenty of copies) when a game releases. Gamestop basis their orders off of pre-ordering. Which allows them to get the proper number into the store. They also call you once your copy is in the store, which is a great reminder for less hyped games.

It cost you less than 10% of the game down ($5), and this is not loss money. I have moved pre-orders to other games and even had a pre-order refunded to me.

I dont want to go calling/running all over town when a new game comes out I would rather go pick it up 2 min drive to my local Gamestop. To be honest I should just order online and have it shipped to me.

Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Radiozo
Nice. My copy of Bioshock just got shipped by the way :D
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
I've only preordered Halo 2 and Halo 3.
zeldafan00013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 zeldafan00013
Member since 2004 • 6575 Posts
I just wait for the best prices in the ads. Bioshock = $50.00 at Circut City.
ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
the only time i'll pre order a game is if there is an exclusive deal at Gamestop like with the Bioshock limited Edition and Halo 3... Other times Best buy, Circuit City and Target always have plenty of stock, so theres no point to it most times. I'm glad I did with Bioshock because apparantly the limited edition version is already sold out.
Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Radiozo
The biggest reason I preorder is because the nearest shop that sells games is 20 miles away and I work all day so I dont have time to get to the shop.
zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts
As has been mentioned, because it ensures you will have a copy the day of release. Plus sometimes to get access to additional free content or special edition packaging and extras. I really only do this for the games I'm most excited about though.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

I have only pre-ordered Test Drive Unlimited for the 360, I havent really done pre-ordering before except for Toca race driver on PS2 which I knew I wanted as I played TOCA 1, 2, and Toca World Touring Cars and so got this as you got a demo as well before it came out but appart from those two I dont rember pre-ordering a game. I was tempted to do with Bioshock (as game in the UK give double reward points for pre-orders which is something you can use to take money off games).

It depends, if you know you want the game and dont care about the reviews then go for it, but I usually wait for reviews and see what people say before I get a game (sometimes the hype goes down after release and if it does then usually I wont get the game unless it is discussed alot for games which suggests it has good long term play).

ocdodger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ocdodger

I just wait for the best prices in the ads. Bioshock = $50.00 at Circut City.zeldafan00013

dude, i just called my local circuit city and they only have 10 copies available and wont release them untill tomorrow! and the price is 49.99 as you said. they open tomorrow at 10am, so its on!

Darkavenger508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Darkavenger508
Member since 2007 • 78 Posts
I only preorder because some times I enjoy going to the midnight launch, and sometimes you recieve free items. However this years madden bag was pointless, it was like they were trying to say that madden fans don't bathe
MrGame004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 MrGame004
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts

[QUOTE="Dylan_B_Chillin"]i have a question, doesnt the preorder cost like 5$ extra?Radiozo

Not where Im ordering. Its the same price. I order online though and not in a shop.

Where I go it does cost the extra 5 bucks.

falconzfan0101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 falconzfan0101
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
i think getting copies of these games i.e halo and bioshock wont be too much of a big problem if u didnt preorder cuz when World of warcraft the buring crusade came out i just drove up the day it came out to my local bestbuy walked in the store and got one off the shelf with no problem...and did i mention they sold over 4.1 million copies of the game in on the first day.. and i just walked up to the store and got it with no problem at all?? so why preorder im sure 1 out of 3 local stores near you will have a copy.
HooahDOc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HooahDOc
Member since 2006 • 84 Posts

I only preorder when EB Games has some sort of deal going on. A few months back I preordered Assasians Creed, Bioshock, GTA 4, Halo 3, andWarhawk because they were allowing you to trade in 3 games for a upcoming release and I ended up saving a couple hundred bucks. ivanivan
No, you didn't. You actually LOST money. Remember what you originally paid for those games you traded in? In the end you're always either losing money or barely breaking even.

radonblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#44 radonblue
Member since 2010 • 83 Posts
great question why pre order??????
MajorCause

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MajorCause
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I don't pre-order, don't want to wait in line to pick it up.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
deactivated-5c23908d36a7f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

This is an ignorant question =/

Why pre-order? The obvious:

- Bonus content

- Delivered to you a day early (most of the time)

- it can be cheaper

- More reward points (from game)

Its really a no-brainer to pre-order something that you want.

Avatar image for ch4tteringte3th
ch4tteringte3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ch4tteringte3th
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

When you pre-order you'll often get special things exclusive to the pre-ordered version

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#48 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

i pre order for 20 dollar game credits with 98 cent day one deliverary with amazon. you guys go pay 60 bucks i go pay 40 bucks +other 20 dollar credit in my poket

can you really beat that?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
The games that I pre-order usually have midnight launches meaning they're big-hit titles. I enjoy attending these midnight launches. Games that do not fall into this category, I do not pre-order unless they have really nice collector's edition.
KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts
I pre-order for money's sake. I can pay off the game in increments months ahead of time without having a huge hole in my wallet.