Why no video game movies?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

While it is pretty plain that nearly all video game movie adaptations are failures, i find it hard to believe that video games are not subject to constant movie adaptations. Its obvious in the past few ideas that Hollywood has run out of any creative ideas and has so for a long time. Re-making plenty of 80's classics and ruining them. Pretty much raiding comic books as well. So why not? There are a huge amount of games with a brilliant story, setting and characters.

Splinter Cell

Metal Gear Solid

Halo

Examples of brilliant stories ripe for Hollywood to snatch.

They probably would all suck anyway, i just find it hard that nobody wants to make them.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

While it is pretty plain that nearly all video game movie adaptations are failures, i find it hard to believe that video games are not subject to constant movie adaptations. Its obvious in the past few ideas that Hollywood has run out of any creative ideas and has so for a long time. Re-making plenty of 80's classics and ruining them. Pretty much raiding comic books as well. So why not? There are a huge amount of games with a brilliant story, setting and characters.

Splinter Cell

Metal Gear Solid

Halo

They probably would all suck anyway, i just find it hard that nobody wants to make them.

Ilovegames1992

One of the reasons why there are not more video game turned movies is the risk factor. Movie companies rather stick to what they know will bring them at least a moderate amount of income, rather than risk it by investing in something new. As far as i know productions of BioShock and Halo were halted due to budgeting issues (and some other), but you have a valid point which i raised several months ago as well.

I think the same think exists in the video game industry when we see a new COD or BC coming out every year. One can only conclude they are safe investments.

Bottom line is that we, as gamers, can feel blessed to a certain extend because we do not want out favorite game to be ruined by Hollywood.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Splinter Cell

Metal Gear Solid

Halo

EvilSelf

One of the reasons why there are not more video game turned movies is the risk factor. Movie companies rather stick to what they know will bring them at least a moderate amount of income, rather than risk it by investing in something new. As far as i know productions of BioShock and Halo were halted due to budgeting issues (and some other), but you have a valid point which i raised several months ago as well.

I think the same think exists in the video game industry when we see a new COD or BC coming out every year. One can only conclude they are safe investments.

Bottom line is that we, as gamers, can feel blessed to a certain extend because we do not want out favorite game to be ruined by Hollywood.

The odd thing is though. Hollywood doesnt really care about ruining a franchise for the hardcore fans imho, they only care about revenue. I can only see a game like Halo doing amazingly well in terms of revenue becasue i think games are a lot more universal and have a much bigger fan base. I guess it would be a risk but i think casual fans would flock to see certain big game franchises as movies. In all honesty, bar Mortal Kombat, i dont think there has been a good game movie. But yes i agree they shouldnt do them anyway as i dont want a bunch of idiots who know nothing about games to all of a sudden love Halo or any other franchise because they saw it in the cinema.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

There are a huge amount of games with a brilliant storyIlovegames1992

No. There are pretty much none.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
erm no thanks...just because old classics and comics are being butchered doesnt mean they have to start doing it to video games again....
Otulissa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Otulissa
Member since 2005 • 848 Posts

Arent they making a Sims movie? Of all the games to pick from....

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

There are a huge amount of games with a brilliant storyseankane

Wow.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 seankane

[QUOTE="seankane"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

There are a huge amount of games with a brilliant storyIlovegames1992

Wow.

Exactly what I thought when I read your comment.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="seankane"]

seankane

Wow.

Exactly what I thought when I read your comment.

Ok then. All opinions i guess.

me_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 me_rock
Member since 2004 • 2462 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

You're playing the wrong games if you think there are no good stories.

ROFLCOPTER603

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ROFLCOPTER603
Member since 2010 • 2140 Posts

What games do have good stories then?

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

Based on history, chances are that if a new videogame movie would be done, Uwe Boll would be the director. That's why there are no video game movies, thank god.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

[QUOTE="seankane"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

There are a huge amount of games with a brilliant storyme_rock

Yeah no joke. This gen may have not been kind to stories in games but there are still plenty of good ones out there. I have a few problems with games being made into movies though. For the few video game movies out there are pretty much all awful. It always feels like the people that make the movies never even played the game which should be a requirement imo and not just an 1 hour or something the whole game.

Its just a though thing in general to take a 10 or more hour game and stuff it into an hour and 30 min movie. They often dont even try and just come out with completely brand new stories that in no way do the game justice. Some games like MGS and Heavy rain dont even need movies they are already cinematic enough. A movie for those types of games would only serve to bastardize and ruin the story of the game.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 seankane

[QUOTE="seankane"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

There are a huge amount of games with a brilliant storyme_rock

You're notreading the right books/watching the right movies if you think video games have good stories.

I love games, butit doesn't blind me to the fact that they fall quite short in the story department. Even the supposedly 'good' stories like Halo, Half-Life,Metal Gear Solid, etc are still second-rate at best.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts
Of course video games can't compare with books. Books are solely focused on the story aspect, video games have to integrate gameplay, graphics, etc. Even so, video games often hire professional writers for their stories, so they aren't really that far behind books. To compare books to video games is like apples to oranges. One reason that they don't make video game movies is that they often suck (Mario Bros, Double Dragon).
Patrickbrown56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Patrickbrown56
Member since 2010 • 892 Posts

[QUOTE="me_rock"]

[QUOTE="seankane"]

seankane

You're notreading the right books/watching the right movies if you think video games have good stories.

I love games, butit doesn't blind me to the fact that they fall quite short in the story department. Even the supposedly 'good' stories like Halo, Half-Life,Metal Gear Solid, etc are still second-rate at best.

This isn't the point of the thread, but I'd have to say you're wrong. A lot of games out there do have really good stories, that would become even better if adapted into a movie form. A lot of games like Halo have even developed series of books, so there are stories there to be had and to be enjoyed. There are games with good stories and ones with bad ones, but to lump them all together and say that all games are "second-rate at best" is just kind of stubborn. But to get back to the thread creator's original point, I feel the reason is what EvilSelf originally stated: The Risk Factor. Video game movies are either a huge reward, or a huge flop, and there's almost no way to predict which one it will be. You have ones like Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider that aren't technically great films, but are still enjoyable. Then you have the Bloodraynes, Doom, and DoA which are pretty much just awful. The only good thing about some of the current video game movies is the amount of sex appeal that they pack in to them based on their targeted audience. At the end of the day I think the equation is this: If you make a movie that is going to please the die hard fans of a game, then it holds a higher potential to fail with the rest of the non-gaming/non-die hard consumers. If you make a movie-game to please the masses, it will fall short of the hopes and dreams of the die hards. It just hasn't been done correctly yet, and I don't know if it will be. For now, I hope that games stick to animated movies, as it seems to be a pretty good outlet for their content.
Otulissa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Otulissa
Member since 2005 • 848 Posts

Okami might make a pretty decent movie.

gamingboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gamingboss
Member since 2010 • 170 Posts

A RED DEAD REDEMPTION MOVIE WOULD BE AMAZING!!!

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts
[QUOTE="seankane"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

There are a huge amount of games with a brilliant story

No their are plenty....
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

It would cost production companies so much money to make a movie like Halo or Gears of War. That is a major factor.

gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

What have you been playing? There are many games with good stories.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#23 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I'd like to see them make movies out of Alan Wake, Mass Effect, and Splinter Cell.

solo4321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 solo4321
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts
An Assassin's Creed movie would be awesome! They proved it would work with those shorts they came out with for Assassin's Creed 2. Just imagine those with a high budget behind it.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EvilSelf

I also tend to agree that there are some games with very decent stories and most importantly a story that will catch Hollywood's attention. It is not like we dont see movies with clicheed stories over and over again nowadays...

allboutkiln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 allboutkiln
Member since 2010 • 508 Posts

I think Final Fantasy was a pretty good movie, Doom & Tomb Raider were ok. I was looking forward to the Dead Space movie, but i heard it got cancelled.

Yes, i'd like to see more games turned into movies.

G0ld3n_0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 G0ld3n_0ne
Member since 2009 • 36 Posts

Bioshock or Metroid. I think they could make a decent movie in those settings.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EvilSelf

Bioshock or Metroid. I think they could make a decent movie in those settings.

G0ld3n_0ne

Bioshock was canceled due to difference in director/producer opinions as to what rating the movie would be? R or PG13...

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

Prince of Persia, res evil, bloodrayne, max payne and doom

Gears is in the making.

Halo was canceled because M$ wanted a large chunch of profits.

There will be more video game turned movie in the future. i dont see why you think there wont

DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts
I do think certain games would work well as movies, for example RDR or GTA IV.
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 seankane

[QUOTE="seankane"]

[QUOTE="me_rock"]

Patrickbrown56

This isn't the point of the thread.

Its completely relevant, though. A movie that uses lousy source material probably wont turn out that great.

Until I'm moved by a video game storyline like I was moved by Schindler's List, or Shawshank Redemption, or Cast Away or some other great movie, then I will remain adamant that video games stories have never been better than second-rate. Frankly, its disturbing that anyone else could disagree, though I feel its more a case of video game fans being completely biased and not being able to rate these video game stories objectively.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

erm no thanks...just because old classics and comics are being butchered doesnt mean they have to start doing it to video games again....penpusher

exactly. its is MUCH safer and more profitable for movie producers to just go out and make another sequel (or episode 3, 4, 5, etc) instead of risking ALL of their money on making a movie based off Saints Row or something. Movie games = crap. Game movies = crap. It's just a WELL KNOWN FACT. I dont even want to see a low-budget movie based off of ANY video game. I'd rather see a movie that is ORIGINAL. and I HATE video games based off of movies almost always.