Why is nobody excited for Rage?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

This game looks absolutely phenomenal. If you haven't heard of it, youtube some gameplay or such.

It looks like a brand new Borderlands, but that much better.

This is truly in my top 3 most hyped games of 2011. I'm just shocked that nobody has mentioned it.

I mean... why not? :(

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Im excited for it its one of my games lookin forward in 2011..Been following this for a long time.Looks amazing..KInd of borderlandish but better im hopeful..

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm excited for it dude its my anticipated game of 2011.

The-Tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The-Tree
Member since 2010 • 3315 Posts

I'm pretty excited, but I haven't seen any commercials or too much news on it, so I'm not very pumped just yet.

sivasiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#5 sivasiva
Member since 2007 • 1101 Posts

Yea me too. The hype generally will start growing when approaching the release date.

reachrocksman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 reachrocksman
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts
because there is little info on it?
Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts
because there is little info on it?reachrocksman
Have you seen the gameplay? :@
reachrocksman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 reachrocksman
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts
[QUOTE="reachrocksman"]because there is little info on it?Wakanoid

yes.
Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

Eh, I could see it going either way. id software has been rehashing Doom, Quake, and Wolfenstein for almost 20 years. A new IP from them could be really good, or really fail.

NoDzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NoDzombie
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts

im excited for it, but release is still quite a way off, so not really that hyped yet, there are quite a few games coming out first that im more excited for at the moment, but as we get nearer release then i will be hyped for sure

hansmacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hansmacher
Member since 2003 • 900 Posts
im definately interested
perry933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 perry933
Member since 2007 • 621 Posts

This game looks absolutely phenomenal. If you haven't heard of it, youtube some gameplay or such.

This is truly in my top 3 most hyped games of 2011. I'm just shocked that nobody has mentioned it.

Wakanoid

it's not even 2011 yet, and I still haven't heard a release date.

I am sure the hype train will get rolling once it gets closer.

XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#13 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

Looks fantastic, a must buy for me. The hype will continue to grow when it gets closer to release time.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

It LOOKS great, but there's still a lot of uncertainty about the actual gameplay. There's some vids of gameplay out there, but that doesn't really show the overall picture, nor does the gameplay in the vids really seem all that fantastic.

We'll see. When the game gets closer and we learn more about it, maybe the hype will increase a good bit.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Because to be truthful, this is id software, and john carmack, we're talking about. id is only really capable of making a title to "show off" a new game engine of theirs, and have the reputation of basically doing that and then expecting the rest of the industry to fix the bugs and make something worth playing on said engine for them. First came Doom, which then led to a modified "Build" engine to create Duke Nukem 3D, which was far superior to all the different "flavors" of Doom back then. Then came Quake, and Hexen came out to finally make something fun on that engine. Q2 engine came about, and a heavily modified version became known as GoldSrc, which became the underlying engine for the impressive Half Life. Q3 engine came about and we later get the Jedi Knight games, which were fantastic. Doom 3 engine came about, and well... this is the exception. Riddick beat it to the punch, looked better but didn't use their engine. It took until ET:QW and the newer Wolfenstein before we got something that was playable on it. So no, I'm not looking forward to Rage, because id never makes a fun "first title" on a new game engine, ever. Finally, even though I respect the contributions Carmack has done to advance gaming technology on the software side, he still comes off as a complete tool to me (as in, not the good way). He **** and moaned about multi-core programming even before dual-socket motherboards started showing up at prices normal people could afford, much less dual core processors. He (and id) also then basically stole an open source project to get Doom 1 engine to work on a touch screen interface without giving any credit to the community that created it to sell Wolfenstein 3d for the iPhone/touch/pad, when he himself couldn't be arsed to make the effort on his own paycheck. The guy just comes off like he has an ego the size of Russia but hasn't made anything truly fun and memorable in the last decade to justify it.
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

First came Doomcodezer0

Seriously?

Doom?

You're gonna use that as an example of an 'unplayable' game? Doom was a landmark gaming acheivement. The gameplay was brilliant. The level design was top-notch. The different weapons available were fantastic. The game was SCARY(for its time). The monsters have become stuff of legend.

Seriously, bad freakin example there buddy.

Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts
[QUOTE="reachrocksman"]because there is little info on it?Wakanoid

I have seen the gameplay, but we know almost nothing about it, this game LOOKS good, but I would like some more info about it.
Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts
[QUOTE="Wakanoid"]

im interested in it...might get it might not...but right now im having alot of fun with borderlands
right4dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 right4dead
Member since 2010 • 1062 Posts

relax, people are excited, they just aren't doing cartwheels and backflips in the street while running around naked.

xboxfreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xboxfreak1
Member since 2004 • 461 Posts

Have some patience. We don't need to start hyping a game coming out late next year. There are still tons of games coming out in January through March. But yes, I am excited for it and it looks like what Borderlands should have been. I was really disappointed in Borderlands. I just couldn't get into the art style.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Im very excited for it but have only seen 1 video

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 codezer0

[QUOTE="codezer0"]First came Doomseankane

Seriously?

Doom?

You're gonna use that as an example of an 'unplayable' game? Doom was a landmark gaming acheivement. The gameplay was brilliant. The level design was top-notch. The different weapons available were fantastic. The game was SCARY(for its time). The monsters have become stuff of legend.

It was boring as heck for me, and you couldn't jump. Duke Nukem 3D came out and had mouse look, verticality (at least, multi-level/story maps), jumping, and was all out a lot more fun. Doom 2 was a snooze by comparison to me. I'm not knocking its technical merit, which is what you seem to think I'm doing. I'm saying the game wasn't fun. Duke3D was.
king_loei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 king_loei
Member since 2006 • 225 Posts
It was boring as heck for me, and you couldn't jump. Duke Nukem 3D came out and had mouse look, verticality (at least, multi-level/story maps), jumping, and was all out a lot more fun. Doom 2 was a snooze by comparison to me. I'm not knocking its technical merit, which is what you seem to think I'm doing. I'm saying the game wasn't fun. Duke3D was.codezer0
I just bought all the Doom games on Steam and played through them, just for kicks. I enjoyed them thoroughly. They had an old-school kick to them that was pretty entertaining :) Duke was cool, but I didn't really enjoy it as much. On another note, I CANNOT WAIT FOR RAGE. I've been watching it since it was announced, and it looks like it has a lot of promise.
xFL4WL3SSx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xFL4WL3SSx
Member since 2009 • 1018 Posts

I already played this game on the iPhone.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#25 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Does it do anything special aside from having really good graphics? Like, it doesn't look bad but shooters are a dime a dozen, it takes more than good graphics to get my attention.
The-Longshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 The-Longshot
Member since 2006 • 1321 Posts

[QUOTE="codezer0"]First came Doomseankane

Seriously?

Doom?

Exactly.

I would agree however that Carmack does seem to have an ego the size of Russia, but hey, I've never met the guy, he could be really nice so who am I to call him out on character traits, heh.

I am excited for Rage because I loved Doom and Borderlands, so this by that equation should also be excellent.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

relax, people are excited, they just aren't doing cartwheels and backflips in the street while running around naked.

right4dead
I do that at least twice a day. Rage looks solid, but there are games far higher on the hype meter for me.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 codezer0

Exactly.

I would agree however that Carmack does seem to have an ego the size of Russia, but hey, I've never met the guy, he could be really nice so who am I to call him out on character traits, heh.

I am excited for Rage because I loved Doom and Borderlands, so this by that equation should also be excellent.

The-Longshot
You should watch him when he has his "keynote" speech at the annual QuakeCon's. Guy presents himself like he's the Alan Greenspan of the gaming industry. Some of his software code has indeed been instrumental to getting 3D gaming possible, but I don't think that should qualify him to get a free pass for this long after the fact. His stance on multi-core programming in regards to gaming is pretty well known - he hates it. And look at ETQW. The game came out in 2005 and for the PC, it had no voice chat support. This after we've had many team-oriented games on the market already well before it came out that implemented it. If I remember right, even Q3A had voice chat, while inexplicably he chose to have it omitted in Quake Wars. And in short, the new Wolfenstein's been the best thing I'd played that uses the Doom 3/Q4 engine.
BigGhost_AJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 BigGhost_AJT
Member since 2004 • 928 Posts

It just doesn't look that great to me. And because the post-apocalyptic genre has been done to death and back again. I'm not saying that the setting will make it a bad game. But fighting raiders (I know the gameplay involves more) in a ruined landscape and crafting vehicles Mad Max style doesn't get my juices flowing. I've seen the gameplay and it just doesn't excite me. Might be a different story if I play it. But for now? Not that up for it