Why doesnt xbox live use dedicated servers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jbz7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jbz7890
Member since 2004 • 786 Posts
Seems to me with $350 million a year ($50/year x 7 million subscribers), xbox live should be able to run dedicated servers. The PS3 somehow manages to do this with no annual fee. Just imagine all the lag free games with 64+ players. Xbox live needs to give us our money's worth.
Avatar image for gamindude_basic
gamindude_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gamindude_basic
Member since 2002 • 478 Posts

because the average consumer doesn't know any better.

SizeMatterzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SizeMatterzz
Member since 2007 • 1858 Posts
one word. CHEAP
billjakybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 billjakybob
Member since 2004 • 14574 Posts
one word. CHEAPSizeMatterzz
exactly what i was gunna say
Avatar image for peachy_dagansta
peachy_dagansta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 peachy_dagansta
Member since 2005 • 2103 Posts

[QUOTE="SizeMatterzz"]one word. CHEAPbilljakybob

Or it could be the fact that thus far the XBOX and 360 have done nothing but cost MICROSOFT. give em a few more consoles to be completley indipendent. we will get our dedicated servers.

Ranger_x8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Ranger_x8b
Member since 2002 • 5840 Posts

one word. CHEAPSizeMatterzz

Bingo. It takes too much resources (manpower, adequate hardware, bandwidth) to have one developer host tens of thousands of indiviual dedicated servers. I don't understand why console developers won't let the public have access to run dedicated servers away from the 360. It works extremely well in the PC world.

SizeMatterzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SizeMatterzz

[QUOTE="billjakybob"][QUOTE="SizeMatterzz"]one word. CHEAPpeachy_dagansta

Or it could be the fact that thus far the XBOX and 360 have done nothing but cost MICROSOFT. give em a few more consoles to be completley indipendent. we will get our dedicated servers.

Oh don't start with that crap. MS has billions of dollars

jbz7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jbz7890
Hmmm I wonder how many dedicated servers Bill Gates could run :P
Avatar image for peachy_dagansta
peachy_dagansta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 peachy_dagansta
Member since 2005 • 2103 Posts
[QUOTE="peachy_dagansta"]

[QUOTE="billjakybob"][QUOTE="SizeMatterzz"]one word. CHEAPSizeMatterzz

Oh don't start with that crap. MS has billions of dollars

yes and thus far they did little but make more billions, so how do you think it rattled them when they started losing plenty of cash.

jameeler91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 jameeler91
Member since 2006 • 1312 Posts
a few games do have em
like R6V, but i guess more could
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

[QUOTE="SizeMatterzz"]one word. CHEAPRanger_x8b

Bingo. It takes too much resources (manpower, adequate hardware, bandwidth) to have one developer host tens of thousands of indiviual dedicated servers. I don't understand why console developers won't let the public have access to run dedicated servers away from the 360. It works extremely well in the PC world.

because they cant control them. you are paying for a service and agreeing to their terms when you do. This is so they can handle any abusive content/wrong content etc when/if complaints come in. You are paying for something so if some ignorant **** annoys you deliberatly and constantly you can have something done about it.

PC servers, while most are open to public, some have restrictions on them, your not part of this or that. It would promote segregation to a degree.

PSN is free because the developers put up the servers and the bandwidth to host said servers, not sony. If developers want ppl to play their games online on the playstation, they have no choice but to put up the servers.

jbz7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jbz7890
[QUOTE="Ranger_x8b"]

[QUOTE="SizeMatterzz"]one word. CHEAPdarksusperia

because they cant control them. you are paying for a service and agreeing to their terms when you do. This is so they can handle any abusive content/wrong content etc when/if complaints come in. You are paying for something so if some ignorant **** annoys you deliberatly and constantly you can have something done about it.

PC servers, while most are open to public, some have restrictions on them, your not part of this or that. It would promote segregation to a degree.

PSN is free because the developers put up the servers and the bandwidth to host said servers, not sony. If developers want ppl to play their games online on the playstation, they have no choice but to put up the servers.

PSN is free, so the developers pay for the servers.

Xbox live is not free, so why doesn't Microsoft pay for them?

I spent literally 5 minutes waiting for host changes in halo 3, each time it changed it lagged like crazy. We should get better service than this.

crusher2002000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 crusher2002000
Member since 2004 • 645 Posts
like everyone said microsoft r cheap bastards
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darksusperia
[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="Ranger_x8b"]

[QUOTE="SizeMatterzz"]one word. CHEAPjbz7890

PSN is free, so the developers pay for the servers.

Xbox live is not free, so why doesn't Microsoft pay for them?

I spent literally 5 minutes waiting for host changes in halo 3, each time it changed it lagged like crazy. We should get better service than this.

They put up servers for games that need them, halo 3/forza 2 both have a combination of server & p2p. The host creates a game on the server which tracks stats about players/matchmaking etc. If a host drops it will pause, make a new host etc. then continue on with the game.

now look at games like GRAW/GRAW2, pure p2p, laggy as all hell unless u have a host with a good connection, if the host drops, kiss that game goodbye, find a new host, get everyone in again and hope that host has a good connection.

You will experience lag in halo 3/forza 2 if the host is having a few issues, the servers are being bogged down or someone else in the game is going to lag out.

You can still get lag in a game even when it has nothing to do with the host. EVEN the PSN HAS LAG with its dedicated servers, yes dedicated servers eleviate most lag but will never make any game ever truely lag free.

Mindgame_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mindgame_1
Member since 2003 • 423 Posts
one good thing about p2p servers is that it is based on the number of people playing and not the number of people who could be playing. basically what im trying to get at is that a few years down the road you wont have to worry about them shutting down servers for certain games since the players are essentially hosting their own.
jbz7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jbz7890

like everyone said microsoft r cheap bastardscrusher2002000

Yeah...Microsoft lucked out by getting all the best games in recent years. If it weren't for this, Microsoft would actually have to provide some decent service to get people to pay.

FearNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FearNinja
Member since 2006 • 693 Posts
I agree that it is cheaper for them but think about it like this, if one server goes down thousands of players do not get to play. But if you let players use thier connection to host games the chances of you lagging out or not getting to play because of Microsoft having network problems are reduced. So it does have its pros and cons, but if you do not like buy a faster connection because usually the best and fastest connection gets host.
Shade-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shade-Blade
Member since 2007 • 4930 Posts

We are getting our moneys worth. Xbox Live is the best online gaming service out right now.

And no offense, but Im getting the feeling youre a Ps3 fanboy...

jbz7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jbz7890

We are getting our moneys worth. Xbox Live is the best online gaming service out right now.

Shade-Blade

Oh no, I love 360 with halo 3 and gears of war, I just want xbox live to be even better with less lag and more players. Is that asking too much?

Also without dedicated servers, xbox live will NEVER see 30-40+ players games. Battlefield: Bad Company will probably be 64 players on the PS3 and 24 on the 360.

Shade-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shade-Blade
Member since 2007 • 4930 Posts
[QUOTE="Shade-Blade"]

jbz7890

Oh no, I love 360 with halo 3 and gears of war, I just want xbox live to be even better with less lag and more players. Is that asking too much?

Oh ok lol, sorry, I mustve mis-understood your question. I can handle a little lag because I dont have the best connection so Im used to it. I think I have DSL or something, not sure but I know I usually get green and sometimes yellow in games, but its still good. I would love to play a 32 player game or something like that but then that might even be more lag. You never know.
SizeMatterzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SizeMatterzz

Shade-Blade

Lol read ur post again.... who sounds like a fanboy..... :roll:

BlackFro55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BlackFro55
Member since 2003 • 572 Posts
maybe in the next fall update...or not.
david60639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 david60639
Member since 2005 • 6951 Posts
Less lag the better. They might get to it...even though it isn't profitable.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darksusperia

Oh no, I love 360 with halo 3 and gears of war, I just want xbox live to be even better with less lag and more players. Is that asking too much?jbz7890

16 players is quite alot especially with some of the map sizes u get with some of these games. I'll use graw again, u get massive maps like mountain base, caldera etc, which r great for 16 ppl, then u have small maps like headquarters and having 16 ppl on there sometimes feels like too many.

As for the lag, what type of connection do u have, ur upload speed is a big factor and do u have any open NAT?

You may have to look at getting a faster connection.

Also without dedicated servers, xbox live will NEVER see 30-40+ players games. Battlefield: Bad Company will probably be 64 players on the PS3 and 24 on the 360.

jbz7890

WRONG. Perfect dark zero can hold 32. Next.

jbz7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jbz7890
[QUOTE="jbz7890"]

Oh no, I love 360 with halo 3 and gears of war, I just want xbox live to be even better with less lag and more players. Is that asking too much?darksusperia

16 players is quite alot especially with some of the map sizes u get with some of these games. I'll use graw again, u get massive maps like mountain base, caldera etc, which r great for 16 ppl, then u have small maps like headquarters and having 16 ppl on there sometimes feels like too many.

As for the lag, what type of connection do u have, ur upload speed is a big factor and do u have any open NAT?

jbz7890

I have comcast casble

Open NAT, 12-13 megabytes down, 1.5 up, so my connection obviously isn't the issue.

Seriously guys do you really think dedicated servers cost $350 million to run? Also only the most popular games would need them. (ie Halo 3 and Gears now, then drop Gears when CoD4 comes out) You guys are really overestimating the cost

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
maybe eventually they will... they've been using the same system since xbl was released. Some day they will wake up and realize it needs to be updated
stolz1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 stolz1975
Member since 2005 • 422 Posts
to many chipmunks
Limp_Laky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 Limp_Laky
Member since 2003 • 505 Posts
dedicated servers are nice but look at it like this, WoW has dedicated servers if they go down no one plays. Basically if XBL switched now expect about 2 weeks of not playing halo 3 online because it would be buggy and break down a lot. THEN you would get lag for a while then maybe 2 months down the road you would see true dedicated servers. it might not happen but then again look at the 360 so far and consider the extended warranty. I would say this, if you have dial up wtf get out of here, DSL look into cable you can get bundles with your TV and phone. and cable owners good for you. Honestly no halo 3 problems on a wireless cable modem that has given me lots of crap over the years, and its in a small space on the opposite side of my house, no lag whatsoever so look into your own connection first. Also dont be surprised by this at all, if you think about it purely from there standpoint. We dont need it, we want it. I havnt seen any going on here but most of what microsoft gets to try to get rid of p2p is prolly all leet speak and is full of swearing or is written by a 10 year old that got killed while he lagged out. Neither way is perfect, what I would say is microsoft should look into dedicated but make sure to have backup plans. Also paying per month for XBL weeds out some not all but some of the really annoying people. If WoW were free it would be so full of people screaming, hacking, leet crying and cussing you out it wouldnt be worthwhile. at least people that dont care enough to drop 50 bucks arent playing and people that want to play online can, were it free we wouldnt be able to control content at all really and would be flared by so many of the 10 year olds that helped halo 3 not get a 10
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darksusperia
[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="jbz7890"]

Oh no, I love 360 with halo 3 and gears of war, I just want xbox live to be even better with less lag and more players. Is that asking too much?jbz7890

jbz7890

I have comcast casble

Open NAT, 12-13 megabytes down, 1.5 up, so my connection obviously isn't the issue.

Seriously guys do you really think dedicated servers cost $350 million to run? Also only the most popular games would need them. (ie Halo 3 and Gears now, then drop Gears when CoD4 comes out) You guys are really overestimating the cost

comcast is known for their problems with xbox live, forza 2 had big issues with comcast, no one else.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 darksusperia
in any case, dedicated servers will not get rid of lag. it will get rid of most, but u will never get rid of it all. No, it doesnt cost a lot but it does cost to maintain. GEARS does not use a server at all, thats have the problem with that game and its massive host advantage.