Why do people buy singleplayer games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I think i will be renting a lot of games this year.

As i'm just not the person to play the story more than once.

Can't justify 60 bucks for a game i will play for a week.

Paynee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 Paynee
Member since 2008 • 851 Posts

I don't necessarily play single player games by choice,I love RPG'S so I gotta go with how the game was made. But I really wish they would start adding co-op as an "option" in my RPG, that would rock. As it is, I'm almost always on party chat in an RPG with someone else playing the same game, I'm social, I want a social type RPG!

I think Borderlands did it perfect, though thatwas "very RPG lite"

MadSavage22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#203 MadSavage22
Member since 2009 • 587 Posts

I think it comes down to how u appreciate your games. I remember playing The Legend of Zelda OoT more than a hundred times and that game doesnt have multiplayer. I remember the first day I got Majoras Mask I played through it beat and then played it again to collect everything. I also LOVE my multiplayer games, the thrill of mowing down enemies and having a challenge again and again its pretty bad ass. Like I said you just have to understand and respect each game for what it is and either love it or hate it...In my case I love both why not have your cake and eat it too?? lol

frankeyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#204 frankeyser
Member since 2004 • 5667 Posts

is this thread for real...

Pdiddy105

I know!

I buy games for the single player mode and sometimes hang around for multiplayer if it is good. I bought gears of war for the single player and loved the multiplayer, bought gears 2 and liked the single player but hated the multiplayer. If not for the single player I would have never purchased it.

AdamantArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 AdamantArmor
Member since 2010 • 35 Posts
There's always something to be said about owning something, because you never know when you'll want to play it again. Same thing for books...why buy boks when you can just go to the library? Well, maybe I WANT to own it.
effena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#206 effena
Member since 2008 • 2811 Posts

[QUOTE="Pdiddy105"]

frankeyser

I know!

I buy games for the single player mode and sometimes hang around for multiplayer if it is good. I bought gears of war for the single player and loved the multiplayer, bought gears 2 and liked the single player but hated the multiplayer. If not for the single player I would have never purchased it.

Yeh. Gears 2 had such laggy multiplayer. If the game host wasn't in my country (Canada), the game was pretty much unplayable.

Metal-Recon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 Metal-Recon
Member since 2003 • 823 Posts

Notice how every game you guys have spoken about have been RPGs...

Coldzboy

Notice how wrong you are based on the fact that AC II is not near being an RPG...

Metal-Recon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Metal-Recon

[QUOTE="Coldzboy"][QUOTE="travisstaggs"] No not really Assassins Creed 2 is similar to sandbox style more then anything and so is the first one. Not everyone likes multiplayer stuff some people would rather have a long nice story rather then a multiplayer game that more then likely you will get tired of quicker. Anyways from reading some of your post theirs no reasoning with you, have a nice day.

travisstaggs

Have you actually played AC2? There's deep RPG elements, from little things such as purchasing ammo for your gun to upgrading aspects of your city. And I didn't ask you to "reason" with me, so yea, you have a great day.

Yes I own it but buying ammo for a gun isn't a RPG trait at all and most would not consider upgrading a city as well one, you didn't say you wanted me to reason with you but no matter what anyone says your not going to see it as a good point.

same thought here... if you actually think that doing those kind of stuff is having "heavy RPG elements" then you might know pretty much nothing on videogames... it's called Action/Adventure game dude...

Metal-Recon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Metal-Recon

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Coldzboy"]

I don't understand what you're getting at...

Coldzboy

I'm trying to say that not every single player game should be just rentals, I would never rent Mass Effect. But I can see that those who complain about length and replayability should research the game before buying it, that's why rentals work a lot too.

I understand, I bought Mass Effect aswell, but it was 20 bucks. But to me 60 dollars is alot of money, actually it's alot of money to ANYONE, and if you say it isn't then you're a liar :\

It isn't and happens to be I'm not a liar... If I can afford it and I WANT to afford it then it is not a lot of money, do not generalize on this based on yourself

ECWMANIAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 ECWMANIAC
Member since 2007 • 153 Posts

Just rent it, beat it, and return it. I'm getting annoyed reading about people wishing they never bought a certain singleplayer game for $60. And with the lengths of campaigns these days on average, it's not even worth it.

Coldzboy

Except for Grand Theft Auto!

phearless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 phearless
Member since 2005 • 80 Posts

The whole game game playing franchise is built off of the postion of man putting his intelligence against the machine. People buy single player games because they either want to engage a story or because they collect games that dont involve multi player mess. I dont want to waste my bandwith on xbox live crapola! For me its about the story and I dont necessarily want to share it with no one.

Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#213 Coldzboy
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

[QUOTE="Coldzboy"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] I'm trying to say that not every single player game should be just rentals, I would never rent Mass Effect. But I can see that those who complain about length and replayability should research the game before buying it, that's why rentals work a lot too.

Metal-Recon

I understand, I bought Mass Effect aswell, but it was 20 bucks. But to me 60 dollars is alot of money, actually it's alot of money to ANYONE, and if you say it isn't then you're a liar :\

It isn't and happens to be I'm not a liar... If I can afford it and I WANT to afford it then it is not a lot of money, do not generalize on this based on yourself

Sorry I meant to the average person that has bills to pay and whatnot , and don't come in here triple posting again :\
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#214 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

Pdiddy105

apparently it is..........

honestly I own TONS of single player games. and I dont just beat them and then trade them in or something. unlike the TC, I'm not a big fan of online multiplayer games. I enjoy the single player modes of games like Saints Row2, GTAIV, Project Gotham Racing 3&4, Conan. Even after I beat a game (which isnt that often really) i can go back and play it again. Not EVERYONE is just a fan of COD and Halo. It is actually fun to play games to enjoy the story (not just playing online multiplayer matches over and over again). The trick is to NOT pay $60 for single player games, u buy them used for like $20 or something.

Ric_SlayeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Ric_SlayeR
Member since 2007 • 252 Posts

There are people who like to make a collection...

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 DranzarTypeF
Member since 2009 • 2623 Posts

[QUOTE="Pdiddy105"]

Talldude80

apparently it is..........

honestly I own TONS of single player games. and I dont just beat them and then trade them in or something. unlike the TC, I'm not a big fan of online multiplayer games. I enjoy the single player modes of games like Saints Row2, GTAIV, Project Gotham Racing 3&4, Conan. Even after I beat a game (which isnt that often really) i can go back and play it again. Not EVERYONE is just a fan of COD and Halo. It is actually fun to play games to enjoy the story (not just playing online multiplayer matches over and over again). The trick is to NOT pay $60 for single player games, u buy them used for like $20 or something.

+1
Avatar image for MuScLe_DuCk2392
MuScLe_DuCk2392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 MuScLe_DuCk2392
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I think I would rather buy a singleplayer game than a multiplayer game. I guess it all depends on what kind of games appeal to a person. I just get bored with most multiplayer games and find them repetitive. I can name off many different single player games I love, but when it comes to multiplayer games I could only name off 5... if that that i adore.
Chalkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Chalkan
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Let us hope that developers continue to strive to make great single player experiences. It used to be that multiplayer was added on later as almost an afterthought to some games (and this is still true). Nowadays , in some cases, it is reversed with single player getting overlooked in hopes of major appeal online.
S3XYT1M3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 S3XYT1M3
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

I buy a certain "few" singleplayer games because they are so epic that I will want to play again, such as Mass Effect, and I like them because usually I start to get very bored with online.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

some games I just need to have.

Whale_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#221 Whale_
Member since 2010 • 331 Posts

Let us hope that developers continue to strive to make great single player experiences. It used to be that multiplayer was added on later as almost an afterthought to some games (and this is still true). Nowadays , in some cases, it is reversed with single player getting overlooked in hopes of major appeal online.Chalkan

Such as MW2.

dalscowboys22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 dalscowboys22
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts

because i hardly play games online that is why. why do i care that you care if i make a thread that says "man why did i buy this game!"

tantal73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 tantal73
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I now most of people accept game az an art and call that 8th art so the goal is not just amusing peple.Thats improving u like reading book and watching film.so we should pay attention to story point and so on (like bioshock and heavy rain).this is the my reason!
Avatar image for HouseMuzik4Life
HouseMuzik4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 HouseMuzik4Life
Member since 2010 • 134 Posts
Every game that comes out has MP you cant avoid it wtf are you talkin about
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#225 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Just rent it, beat it, and return it. I'm getting annoyed reading about people wishing they never bought a certain singleplayer game for $60. And with the lengths of campaigns these days on average, it's not even worth it.

Coldzboy
Sounds like you buy COD and thats all you play. Ther are plenty of great single player games.. look at Far Cry 3 that just came out a few days ago.. amazing game.
Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

I hope you realized you just bumped a three year old thread....

And I buy SP games because of the replay value.