Why do people buy singleplayer games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JUSTBLAZE_928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 JUSTBLAZE_928
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts
Single player games will never go away i personally enjoy them because it gives me a break from all the trash talking kids online
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#152 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
Single player is the only type I do buy. Like people have said, multiplayer dies when the community dies, single player only dies when you have replayed it too much or you lose the disc. I'm all about keeping a collection of games I could play and have just as much fun as I did the first time through. If the single player is gimped or small I just wait until the appropriate price drop to pick it up.
gears90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 gears90
Member since 2008 • 626 Posts

Multiplayer games are fun yes, but they get old if thats all you play. I play about 75% single player, and 25% multiplayer. Try a game like Assassin's Creed 2, or get Mass Effect 2 when it comes out. You'll see why people play single player games.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 DranzarTypeF
Member since 2009 • 2623 Posts

Personally the ONLY reason why I've ever had a gold account in the past is because of 3 games : COD, Battlefield and Halo. Without those 3 games and their online features playing with friends from school I would be perfectly content to play offline forever, don't get peer pressured into thinking you gotta be online all day to be a "good" or "credible" gamer lol, because in reality being on XBOX LIVE all day can become a time consuming trap and turn you into an anti-social, I've seen it happen to many people over the years.

FaintRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 FaintRain
Member since 2009 • 678 Posts

Personally the ONLY reason why I've ever had a gold account in the past is because of 3 games : COD, Battlefield and Halo. Without those 3 games and their online features playing with friends from school I would be perfectly content to play offline forever, don't get peer pressured into thinking you gotta be online all day to be a "good" or "credible" gamer lol, because in reality being on XBOX LIVE all day can become a time consuming trap and turn you into an anti-social, I've seen it happen to many people over the years.

DranzarTypeF
what's wrong with being anti-social? i become anti-social sometimes lol
DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 DranzarTypeF

[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]

FaintRain

I can't tell if thats a joke...the internet is funny that way lol...:shock:

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#157 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
Most of the best games, since the dawn of time, on any platform, are single player games...
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#158 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Just rent it, beat it, and return it. I'm getting annoyed reading about people wishing they never bought a certain singleplayer game for $60. And with the lengths of campaigns these days on average, it's not even worth it.

Coldzboy
Most of my games are primarily single player, and I don't regret buying them unless they turn out to suck.
MrGaines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#159 MrGaines
Member since 2006 • 333 Posts

I buy a single player game every now and then because it is the only way you can have the best graphics and open world gameplay. Im guessing the xbox 360 cant turn an amazing open single player game like oblivion or fallout 3 into a massivly multiplayer game because the 360 isnt powerful enough. Until the future I will have to play these types of games alone. Badlands is a good step.

wikkiwild1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#160 wikkiwild1
Member since 2005 • 188 Posts

I buy a single player game if I like it, same applies to multiplayer games. If I don't like it I don't buy it, simple. I will read reviews, play demo if available to help make my decisions.

DJ_Redline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 DJ_Redline
Member since 2004 • 288 Posts

I'm currently playing Bioshock again for the third time. This game is still amazing. Today I screamed at the top of my lungs because a splicer appeared out of nowhere... I might already know the story, I might not get any new achievements, but the entertainment is still there. This is one of my favorite games, and it doesn't need to be multiplayer for it to be great. Look at Modern Warfare, I can't even go near that game, I'm so sick of the lame strategies used online that I'd rather play Halo Wars. Multiplayer does add a bit of variety to a game because humans will always challenge you with new and better tactics, but a great single player game will always challenge your way of thinking. On this Third time playing I've picked up on things that I never heard the other two times I played this game.

And that my friends is a rant.

DamianAlexander

BioShock is amazing I love it. Can't wait for BioShock 2 to come out next month. And I agree with you on Modern Warfare and the lame online strategies. I played it online for a total of 15 minutes before I got annoyed and gave up. I'll take a good single player campaign over multiplayer anyday

CZVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 CZVA
Member since 2009 • 1166 Posts

Just let this thread die. This poor kid obviously hasnt been playing games for very long. By his logic, only games with MP should be bought. If everyone thought like that, the gaming industry would be destroyed.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#163 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I much prefer single player games. I can control what happens in a single player game. Plus I like RPGs which tend to lend themselves to single-player experiences unless it's an MMO.

Whale_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#164 Whale_
Member since 2010 • 331 Posts

I play single player games when I don't feel like going online. I would just sit down, relax, and immerse myself into the game.Sometimes I would rather play a game with an interesting and fascinating story than play multiplayer online.

PostNothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 PostNothing
Member since 2009 • 325 Posts

What is this a joke topic? No one can really be questioning the value of a single player experience. Well here it is in a nutshell; A great single player experience last a lifetime, people will still go back and play Mario World or Sonic after all these years. MP reliant experiences have a shelf life that last only as lon as the game is popular. Look at how people ranted and raved about how great COD4 was and a mere 2yrs later its forgotten for the next big thing. It doesn't even have to last that long, if they next online juggernaut drops after six months the prior one is finished. That cant happen to a great SP experience, great ones like Mario Galaxy, Uncharted and Mass Effect that are great now, will be great 10yrs from now. A MP experience will be dead within 2, so in the end who gets more bang for thier buck?Sepewrath

That's why! I played almost every game i got several times. Single Player mode is why I play video games =P

Grandotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Grandotaku
Member since 2009 • 2118 Posts

I prefer to single player as I prefer story to people pwnin me and callin me a noob.

FaintRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 FaintRain
Member since 2009 • 678 Posts

[QUOTE="FaintRain"][QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"] [QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]

[QUOTE="FaintRain"][QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]

DranzarTypeF

I can't tell if thats a joke...the internet is funny that way lol...:shock:

no not a joke lol :D

myjazper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 myjazper
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I love single player games.
ghost5891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#170 ghost5891
Member since 2004 • 1296 Posts
i buy single player games because i don't play online to often
metallica_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 metallica_911
Member since 2008 • 61 Posts
[QUOTE="DamianAlexander"]

I'm currently playing Bioshock again for the third time. This game is still amazing. Today I screamed at the top of my lungs because a splicer appeared out of nowhere... I might already know the story, I might not get any new achievements, but the entertainment is still there. This is one of my favorite games, and it doesn't need to be multiplayer for it to be great. Look at Modern Warfare, I can't even go near that game, I'm so sick of the lame strategies used online that I'd rather play Halo Wars. Multiplayer does add a bit of variety to a game because humans will always challenge you with new and better tactics, but a great single player game will always challenge your way of thinking. On this Third time playing I've picked up on things that I never heard the other two times I played this game.

And that my friends is a rant.

my thoughts exactly
TommyCasual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 TommyCasual
Member since 2009 • 138 Posts

Single player games are the heart of gaming. Multiplayer, if anything, is ruining games. When I think about all my favorite gaming experiences growing up and the emotional impact they had on my life, and compare them to what most kids today may have as favorite experiences, it makes me quite sad. Being 14 and shaking with excitement and fear while moving through the blood soaked halls of silent shinra building in FFVII with my friends sitting next to me in a similar state is an infinitely better memory than what my considerably younger brother has today with his friends, most of whom probably only remember some totally crazy freak occurrence on CoD or Halo multiplayer as being the core of their gaming experience.

It's a bummer.

Shaun0fthedeaD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Shaun0fthedeaD
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts

I live in a rural area with Hughes Net (which is dreadfully slow) so asking me to by Modern Warfare 2 is ridiculous, I reley completely on single player campians, and what saddens me is too many people have fallen in love with multiplayer that developers are sometimes willing to make the campain story terrible but have awesome multiplayer, leaving us without High-Speed internet with a small window of games to choose. I was overjoyed with Bio-Shock and Dead Space, but with there sequels, comes muliplayer, and it will leave the story in the dust. So for us without Live or PSN we are, as stated before, stuck with just a small window of games to choose from. Thankfully Mass Effect 2 and Fallout 3 will keep me busy for a very long time. Back when I lived in St. Louis I had High-speed, I only had one or two multiplayer games,and rarely played them. What I am saying is that multiplayer should only be an extra along with the game, not the focus of it.

JustinXcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 JustinXcore
Member since 2009 • 111 Posts

Because once xbox 360s online is no longer, you will still have something to play that is worth playing and not just relying on the online... Is exactly why.

Shaun0fthedeaD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Shaun0fthedeaD
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts

I prefer to single player as I prefer story to people pwnin me and callin me a noob.

Grandotaku

Waht u STOOPID Newb

Yes thats infinitely more fun than a quality, emotional, exciting, enticing, and driving story line!

Multiplayer FTW death to SP games!

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#176 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

1. There is no service to lend games from here.

2. I like to replay them

3. I actually bought Fallout 3 two days ago (lent it before that)

4. I like the box in my collection :)

... Im not gonna buy just multiplayer games, I bought Gow 2 and I dont play it online...

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
single player games are the games that are classics, multiplayer is only fun for so long, and what do you get out of that? The story behind the great SP games is what drives sales
Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Coldzboy
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

DranzarTypeF

To replay a single-player story, you are basically experiencing the exact same events over and over. And yes, to be a good gamer you must play online, otherwise, who's there to judge you?

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#179 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]

Coldzboy

To replay a single-player story, you are basically experiencing the exact same events over and over. And yes, to be a good gamer you must play online, otherwise, who's there to judge you?

FALSE!

I'm 24... I've been a gamer since 1990(yup) and growing up throughout all the generations playing Street Fighter with my friends at home has always been how we judge who was good. I don't care if some kid in New Mexico is better than me, I only play online for fun and practice in any game when my friend's aren't available. But offline splitscreen shooters or fighting games are just as fun if not better than online gaming.

Do Not try and say online gaming is the only way to prove your mettle in games. Also playing a single player game experiencing the same exact events over is like watching a movie that you like over again. I paid to see Incredible Hulk at theaters and own the DVD, I still love it as much as the first time I seen it. Same thing goes for games, I play Sonic 2 over and over again because its a fun game and short.

I'm a gamer, no online needed for me to enjoy them. I was fine in '90 without online and have the same fun now 20 years later with it. It's not essential, it's all about preference. If you like to play online, so be it.. but don't try to shut down others enjoyment for what they choose to do with their money. It's their $60 they worked for and will go on to waste on whatever they wish.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#180 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

So, is the TC implying that the entire gaming industry flourished over 'rentals'? :?

Multiplayer has only become a big thing over recent years mate. With that in mind, multiplayer can still be considered a minor section of gaming as a whole.

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
oblivion is a single player game and its on your most recent played list. hypocrite much? people buy them to have fun. same with ANY game.
Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Coldzboy

oblivion is a single player game and its on your most recent played list. hypocrite much? people buy them to have fun. same with ANY game. pygmahia5

I got it for $10 this morning...

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 DranzarTypeF
[QUOTE="Coldzboy"]

[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]

BWAHAHHAHAHAAAA.....sorry I had to laugh at your ridiculous remark, I feel sorry for gamers like you lol. I wonder What were you doing in the n64, PS1 era lol.
Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Coldzboy
[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"][QUOTE="Coldzboy"]

[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]

BWAHAHHAHAHAAAA.....sorry I had to laugh at your ridiculous remark, I feel sorry for gamers like you lol. I wonder What were you doing in the n64, PS1 era lol.

Playing Perfect Dark and Killer Instinct MP, because playing alone proves nothing.
mattg90520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 mattg90520
Member since 2006 • 3115 Posts

[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"][QUOTE="Coldzboy"]

Coldzboy

Playing Perfect Dark and Killer Instinct MP, because playing alone proves nothing.

hahaha wow, this is clearly turning into just a flame thread with no real sense of argument, just blind retaliation. i mean, you put up a good point and its given a pointless answer. you ask why people play single player? the answer is because its a more guided experience, not just shooting, dying, and respawning. the devs are able to present a story to you in the most effective way, whatever the method of the particular game may be. as for replayability, there most certainly is. games like fallout or mass effect can be vastly different each time you play and both are SP only.

Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Coldzboy

[QUOTE="Coldzboy"][QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]BWAHAHHAHAHAAAA.....sorry I had to laugh at your ridiculous remark, I feel sorry for gamers like you lol. I wonder What were you doing in the n64, PS1 era lol.mattg90520

hahaha wow, this is clearly turning into just a flame thread with no real sense of argument, just blind retaliation. i mean, you put up a good point and its given a pointless answer. you ask why people play single player? the answer is because its a more guided experience, not just shooting, dying, and respawning. the devs are able to present a story to you in the most effective way, whatever the method of the particular game may be. as for replayability, there most certainly is. games like fallout or mass effect can be vastly different each time you play and both are SP only.

I never asked once why people played singleplayer games...read the thread title.
mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#187 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="Coldzboy"]

Notice how every game you guys have spoken about have been RPGs...

Coldzboy

Thats because I mainly play RPGs and fighters on consoles.

True that.

But for the rest of you,are you saying only RPGs or games with RPG elements are worth purchasing?

I buy them in nearly every genre, even games with multiplayer, yet hardly touch online. True value is in the single player most times for me except a majority of shooters, because they have no substance most of the time.

BdogTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#188 BdogTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 675 Posts

Just rent it, beat it, and return it. I'm getting annoyed reading about people wishing they never bought a certain singleplayer game for $60. And with the lengths of campaigns these days on average, it's not even worth it.

Coldzboy
because alot of them are better then multiplayer games?
ryansjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 ryansjones
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I usually play single player games myself. There are plenty of good single player games out there (like Metroid Prime Trillogy, Borderlands, etc), and plus, while multiplayer games can be fun (such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare), they tend to be on the competitive side and sometimes it is fun to go solo on various games.

XXGamerfanXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#190 XXGamerfanXX
Member since 2009 • 1066 Posts
Single player games are better then Multiplayer games IMO. I mean, Modern Warfare 2's single player is better then It's multiplayer! Yet, It was short because of the lame Multiplayer. The only Multiplayer game I enjoyed was Halo 3 (Which I played 2 years ago) and Im bored of it already. I thought Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer was going to last me, but It only did for 2 weeks and I was bored with it. Single Player> Multiplayer anyday.
NoLifeGamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 NoLifeGamin
Member since 2008 • 808 Posts

i agree with the the idea of just renting a single-player game then return it, though whether i do rent or buy depends on many factors. Obviously a major one would be how long is it gonna take to finish it? Something like Final Fantasy.....a rent ain't gonna cut it. Though something like Rogue Warrior on the other hand, would be something i would want to rent(im just using this as an example, who'd the hell would want to even look at that crappy game?).Thinking back, i strongly regret buying Assassin's Creed(first one) because it ended up being disappointing and there wasn't really any replay value(seriously, FLAGS!?). If a certain game is short enough so that i can return it in time, then it's a rent. Anything else is a buy. Apparently though, i appear to be one of those people that completely loses interest in something once they finish it, so i don't find replaying the campaign for MGS4 5 times, fun.With an exception of a game so awesome that it would literally blow my mind. That exception will be Final Fantasy XIII which i'm STOKED to get, and i don't even have to think to know i'm buying that.

jobo030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 jobo030
Member since 2008 • 713 Posts

coldzboy i can believe u didnt get the message when their is 10 pages on this thread and not one person has agreed with you

Superman2480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Superman2480
Member since 2009 • 33 Posts

Wow is all I can say, I wanted to skip to the end and post but I struggled through ten pages and here I am, standing on top of the rotting corpses of posters long forgotten. Seriously though let me make a list for you of the best reasons I read and that match my own opinion.

Let me start by saying I just got done playing about 4 hours solid on MW2, I love my multiplayer games. That being said I have alos been enjoying the crap out of Dragon age and my personal game of the year is Batman. While we are on the subject of game of the year, isn't uncharted the overall winner(single player)? With all of the great things I have heard about that game I would hate to have it in my collection and be able to play it twice if ever the mood struck me. Much better to rent it and then turn it back in. Game of the year= single player

Out of all these posts only two people mentioned the fact that if you just rent these games it will kill the industry. If multiplayer was the only type of game developers could sell then that would be the only kind they would make. See how much you love multiplayer when your only option is to play them, ever. While I am on the subject of ruining the industry, how about used games? I am guilty of this as well and I like most of the rest of you are on a budget but remember when your buying your games that when you buy it used the people who actually made it don't see a dime. Again if they don't make money, they close down. Buy new when you can. Not to mention the fact that when you take a game into one of these shops they just give you squat and turn right back around and make a 400% profit.

II personally stopped turning my games in and am proud to say that I own about 50 360 games now. Another reason that was mentioned and why I don't rent or trade the in anymore, collections my friend. I love having some of my all time favorite games in my collection, you want to talk about gamer cred how about still owning Ocarina of time, final fantasy 7, mario bros/duck hunt?

Multiplayer is not the only way to prove your skills. For one I take great pride in my K/D spread on MW2 and that is for only one reason, it is better than all of my real world friends and in the end who else matters? I don't care if am better than Mike Johnson from Boston, I only care to be better than my brothers and friends, the same way it has always been. Long before xbox live. Seriously how long have you been a gamer? What do you think kids did when they was no Live? Sit around bored out of thier minds playing some lame game like final fantasy 7 and wishing there was another way? Do you think if mutiplayer didn't exist that the people on this thread would be crying about how bioshock was boring because they couldn't get some sort of false accomplishment by beating other people at it online? Are you that insecure that you feel you have to have some sort of worldwide recognition to prove your a gamer?

I feel sorry for those of you who feel this way, it's people like you who would and may still eventually ruin the industry that some of have been apart of since the beggining. Take a look at gameinformers top 200 games of all-time, how many of those are single player? My advice to any of you really is to do your research, if a game is a sure thing like ME2 than buy it on day one if you can. If not wait to hear from friends or other places before buying it. Word of mouth is a very powerful tool these days.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#194 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
how can you ever enjoy the games you are playing if you're rushing to finish them?
effena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#195 effena
Member since 2008 • 2811 Posts

Coldzboy

Bayonetta is supposed to take 15 hours to beat. I can't do that with a 3 day rental, nor do I want to.

Anyway, people have written paragraphs trying to make a valid point, but I can answer your question with two words: Replay value

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#196 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="Coldzboy"]

effena

Beyonetta is supposed to take 15 hours to beat. I can't do that with a 3 day rental, nor do I want to.

Anyway, people have written paragraphs trying to make a valid point, but I can answer your question with two words: Replay value

well arent you efficient...haha :P
Shawcross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#197 Shawcross
Member since 2007 • 1277 Posts
Well for the most part I buy single player games cause I really enjoy the experience while playing. Also with achievements nowadays there is always reasons to replay the storylines. When I replay a single player game I usually find things new that I hadn't seen before in my previous plays which is nice too. Also online games for the most part make achievement hunters like myself cringe cause of the time involved to get them. I don't know why anyone would spend 60 bucks on a online only game which after a hour is very repetitive and boring *cough* MAG.
laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#198 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

um wow...i dont even know how to respond besides...NOT EVERY GAMER LIKES ONLINE!!!

Devil_o2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Devil_o2
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts

Single player games are challenging, hard, and awesome.

Like Ninja Gaiden II.