This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for brandonthesaint
brandonthesaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1 brandonthesaint
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts
Don't get me wrong sometimesI want to hack some Locusts with a chainsaw bayonet, but why does evey new title that actually is worth plaing turn out to be M. I know the fact that blood makes a game more realistic and all, but sometimes I don't want to see all this blood and guts all over the place. And I honestly don't why some developers don't want to make thier games Teen, what's the matter with Teen. You can still make a great game open up a bigger audience and if adults want to buy a game, that is actullay good, they will. And all of us already know that Game of the Year is going to be an M rated game: BioShock, Mass Effect, or Assassins Creed or some other awesome game like those. I also know that, take for example, BioShock is not only bloody, but the theme and story are very much geared towards adults, and that's fine, but games like COD4 aren't neccesarly an all about adults kind of game, it would have been good with just a smaller amount of blood like in COD2 and 3. I'm just asking for and actually good game reated T.
septemberluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 septemberluc
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts

Buy a Wii.

Nah, I'm kidding. The fact (I feel) is that publishers want that M rating label on their games in the same reason that record companies want that "Parental Advisory" sticker on their talent's CDs. So they encourage the game developers to push the envelope in terms of mature content.

There will always be that 15 year old kid who sees that "Mature content" warning and think that means it's a game or CD he HAS to have so he can see what the deal is behind the label.

HokiePorter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 HokiePorter
Member since 2007 • 342 Posts

Buy a Wii

It all goes towards the typical audience. People who want the more graphic games get a 360 and people who have a younger household and want more family friendly games steer towards a Wii. I own both and don't see too many top selling Teen games coming out in the future for the 360. This is just a general statement and I'm not saying this goes for everyone. I was a big fan of Call of Duty 2 but the game didn't really have bad language in it or was graphic and the realism of the games is what makes the rating go up. I don't think games like Gears of War and Rainbow Six would be as realistic if when things got rough the characters said "Oh Gosh this is not working out well"

HokiePorter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HokiePorter
Lol Septemberluc apparently we were having the same idea.
dizzykim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 dizzykim
Member since 2005 • 721 Posts
Having an M Rating will give the developer more freedom to express the game the way they want it (unless, of course, the developer wants to make a T Rated game in the first place). It really depends on the game setting -- a war game is of course going to be mature because of the nature of it. However, censor it enough to give it a T rating will work against the message the developer was trying to bring across, whether that war is horrible, suffering can lead to salvation later on, etc. Very few developers can apply that type of message to a setting more appropriate to younger demographics. This also applies the opposite way -- just look at the Gamecube game Cel Damage for example (although I'm not sure of the game's rating, just that it was horrible because of what the developer was trying to add onto it).
brandonthesaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 brandonthesaint
I own a Wii and the shooters I do have: Red Steel and Metal of Honor 2,and theyare not that great. I loveto playshooters, not much of a role-playing or"bouncearound and find stars in a raccon suit" kind of guy.
bazanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 bazanger
Member since 2004 • 2838 Posts
who cares? just play the game.
brandonthesaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 brandonthesaint

And it's not like I can't play M games I just want a break from the insane violence and gore.

bazanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bazanger

And it's not like I can't play M games I just want a break from the insane violence and gore.

brandonthesaint
yeah i can agree with you there, it's been ages since i've seen a game that wasn't all "you-shot-my-foot-but-there's-blood-everywhere"
HokiePorter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HokiePorter
I break it up with sports games, I love college football.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

I own a Wii and the shooters I do have: Red Steel and Metal of Honor 2,and theyare not that great. I loveto playshooters, not much of a role-playing or"bouncearound and find stars in a raccon suit" kind of guy.brandonthesaint

what game on the Wii has a raciib suit?

mattg90520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattg90520
Member since 2006 • 3115 Posts
its because the 360 does M games well, just like the wii does E games very well. its just what niche the console has carved out for itself and thats what the majority of games will likely be
Avatar image for gamesfreak4ever
gamesfreak4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#13 gamesfreak4ever
Member since 2005 • 2005 Posts
play a sports game or gh but the main reason games are rated m so much is becuase the audience of video games are over 18
dizzykim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dizzykim
[QUOTE="brandonthesaint"]

ctfvyrsgurbnorn

yeah i can agree with you there, it's been ages since i've seen a game that wasn't all "you-shot-my-foot-but-there's-blood-everywhere"

What are you talking about? There are plenty of games that feature less blood, less violence. Like a previous poster said, sports games are fun. The Katamari series, Guitar Hero series, any mini-game Nintendo can think of, most of the movie-based games (while most are horrible) have some levels of violence but little to no blood, Viva Pinata series of games, etc. are great games that have less violence and are fun to play. There are many other games, but I don't really feel like listing them all.

So yeah, I realize your exaggeration may have gotten the best of me, but still; there are many great games out there that aren't as violent as the FPSs out there.

bazanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bazanger
[QUOTE="ctfvyrsgurbnorn"][QUOTE="brandonthesaint"]

dizzykim

What are you talking about? There are plenty of games that feature less blood, less violence. Like a previous poster said, sports games are fun. The Katamari series, Guitar Hero series, any mini-game Nintendo can think of, most of the movie-based games (while most are horrible) have some levels of violence but little to no blood, Viva Pinata series of games, etc. are great games that have less violence and are fun to play. There are many other games, but I don't really feel like listing them all.

So yeah, I realize your exaggeration may have gotten the best of me, but still; there are many great games out there that aren't as violent as the FPSs out there.

umm.. wow.. i was talking about just shooter games, not every game. i realize very well that sports game, guitar hero games, and kids games dont have blood.
xbxjetraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#16 xbxjetraider
Member since 2004 • 1522 Posts

Buy a Wii.

Nah, I'm kidding. The fact (I feel) is that publishers want that M rating label on their games in the same reason that record companies want that "Parental Advisory" sticker on their talent's CDs. So they encourage the game developers to push the envelope in terms of mature content.

There will always be that 15 year old kid who sees that "Mature content" warning and think that means it's a game or CD he HAS to have so he can see what the deal is behind the label.

septemberluc

No. Publishers don't want an "M" rating on their games because it marginally hurts sales.

Sometimes devs cut content so the game can have it's "T" rating.

"M" rated games don't hurt the games appeal to older gamers. However it hurts the appeal to parents of younger gamers.

Gears of War nearly lost its chainsaw because the Project Supervisors thought it pushed the "M" rating to the "AO" rating. Cliff B fought for it, and the ESRB rated the game "M".

septemberluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 septemberluc
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
We'll agree to disagree here because I don't wanna get into a huge debate or anything. But I will say that I strongly doubt that games such as Grand Theft Auto 3 would have been so hugely successful if the content had been cut down to the point of a Teen rating.
xbxjetraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#18 xbxjetraider
Member since 2004 • 1522 Posts

We'll agree to disagree here because I don't wanna get into a huge debate or anything. But I will say that I strongly doubt that games such as Grand Theft Auto 3 would have been so hugely successful if the content had been cut down to the point of a Teen rating.septemberluc

No. GTA's concept would've sold it on its own merits.

Even if you did tone down the swearing, remove the blood, the game would still probably have an M rating. The fact that the game has you committing felonies just to get from point A-B is enough to warrant its rating.

Toning the game down to a "T" would mean removing the GTA element, The Prostitutes, Language, and Guns. Basically it's just a free roam driving game without all that good suff.

chief_527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chief_527
Member since 2003 • 1121 Posts

ctfvyrsgurbnorn

Why don't you shoot your foot and see if there is no blood all over the place??

hanzo225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hanzo225
Member since 2006 • 237 Posts
i think the esrb just wants to cover their own butts but the wii is aimed toward kids(E) plystation teens(t) and xbox for teens to adults T-M om aveage they probably will get some t rated games soon enough and maby even e
cheames748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cheames748
Member since 2007 • 667 Posts
so, what you're saying is, you want a game where you can shoot people in the face, without them bleeding? ok.. thing is, more people want gore than don't. in many cases in fact, the bloody, gorey parts of a game are one of the best parts, the chainsaw bayonet being a prime example.
suzukigsxr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 suzukigsxr
Member since 2005 • 697 Posts
I think it just comes down to if you don't want to see all that blood and stuff, don't play the game. I see what you are saying that the development community needs to move away from the over the top games we are seeing today but the fact of the matter is that, that stuff sells and you are not gonna see too many games, especially first person shooters getting the T rating anymore. There is definately a plethera of Blood and Gore games out now, way more than in the PS2, Xbox, Gamecube era but its just the times we live in now and the gaming community is obviously wanting more and more. So all I can say is just deal with it or just don't buy the games if it offends you or whatever
cheames748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cheames748
Member since 2007 • 667 Posts
just a point, dont most of the M rated games have an option to turn down the blood & gore & **** I'm pretty sure GoW and CoD4 do.
dizzykim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dizzykim

umm.. wow.. i was talking about just shooter games, not every game. i realize very well that sports game, guitar hero games, and kids games dont have blood.ctfvyrsgurbnorn

My apologies. You said in your previous post that you haven't seen "a game" that didn't have a lot of blood which led me to think that you were just generalizing, and so I responded with that in mind.

sonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sonj
Member since 2003 • 145 Posts

ctfvyrsgurbnorn

You should shoot your foot and then let us know how much blood comes out. I bet it is more than you think...
Raider762

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Raider762
Member since 2004 • 197 Posts

No. Publishers don't want an "M" rating on their games because it marginally hurts sales.

Sometimes devs cut content so the game can have it's "T" rating.

"M" rated games don't hurt the games appeal to older gamers. However it hurts the appeal to parents of younger gamers.

Gears of War nearly lost its chainsaw because the Project Supervisors thought it pushed the "M" rating to the "AO" rating. Cliff B fought for it, and the ESRB rated the game "M".

[/QUOTE/]

What are you tallking about M rated games are the best sellers, look at HALO 3, geez it made more than 300 million dollars in its first two weeks out. Who cares what the game is rated, I don't .

bazanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bazanger
[QUOTE="ctfvyrsgurbnorn"][QUOTE="brandonthesaint"]

sonj

You should shoot your foot and then let us know how much blood comes out. I bet it is more than you think...

oh my god, i was making a generalization. *sigh* just nevermind..
b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts
If Bioshock was not M rated, it would be a completely different game. If you don't want an M rated game, than buy the Teen games. Who gives a crap is all I can say.
tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tylea002
Member since 2006 • 2351 Posts
I kinda agree with ctfvyrsgurbnorn. Because I think there should be a M(a) rating. For games with options to turn gore etc. off. Cause lets face it, kids who want M games will get them anyway. And some games would greatly benefit their sales with that. Blood is often excessive, so excessive that T rated games become Ms. Just because 2007 is TEH GOARFEST!
yetimaster12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 yetimaster12
Member since 2005 • 102 Posts
I agree, I love all those games that you listed, but I do wish more games like Kameo would come out. I don't always have to splatter blood everywhere to have fun.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#31 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
red steel is good,,, pft all bc it rated t dont make it bad,, and 360 does not have all m rated titles, you need to get out more. theres a load of racing sports and other games that are rated e-t and the rating does not make it a good game,,, dont get me started on why goldeneye 007 was great and still is today.. because without it you wouldnt have halo sad but true halo takes its stuff from goldeneye technically. as does every one else that tries to make a great game but fails short of doing so
CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
It's a combination of the ESRB becoming more strict, and the technology used in games makes the M rated issues come out much more clearly.
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

Most good games being rated M makes sense considering the average gamer is a male ranging from 18-35. So most good games are Mature plus as games gear towards realism Mature content like violence and language and sexuality will naturally come into play.

Besides if you don't want a Mature game buy a Wii. The Xbox has always been the least kiddie friendly platform.

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
When I was under the age of 17 I wasn't allowed to play M rated games. So every time I would see this awesome game I would pray for it to be rated T so I could get it. Most of the time it turn out it was rated M. But I'm 18 now and I can buy any game I want without parental consent. Now I just see a game and buy it not even looking at the rating because to me it doesn't matter anymore.
destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts
Most M games aren't even that gory. Assassin's Creed for instance...barely any blood in that game.