Where the hell are the roleplaying games at?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UnLashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 UnLashed
Member since 2007 • 53 Posts
Don't get me wrong.. I love the 360, best console for shooters, racers, etc. Honestly though where the hell is the roleplaying genre at? Oblivion rocked.. what else is there? Blue dragon.. no thanks, Eternal sonata looks alright but the animes a turn off. Anything good comming out within this year?
Scarface_tm431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Scarface_tm431
Member since 2004 • 10063 Posts
Well the best looking one coming out IMO is Mass Effect, it looks fantastic
blaqktheory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blaqktheory
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Enchanted Arms isn't too bad. It's no FF but it's bareable.
del_rogeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 del_rogeo
Member since 2004 • 78 Posts

Blue Dragon is an awesome game, don't let the Gamespot review put you off.

Actually, how Two Worlds got 7/10 and Blue Dragon got 6/10 is completely beyond me. Am I the only one who thought Two Worldswas bad to the point of it being hilarious?

Fatality4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 Fatality4u
Member since 2003 • 3289 Posts

Well the best looking one coming out IMO is Mass Effect, it looks fantastic Scarface_tm431

Exactly what he said.

Avatar image for EnigmaticBeauty
EnigmaticBeauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EnigmaticBeauty
Member since 2007 • 1297 Posts

Gamespot didn't give Blue Dragon any justice at all. The Xbox has some fantastic RPG's, Oblivion, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Mass Effect...and Lost Oddesy coming next year... Oh yeah, we're all set.

The weakest of the bunch is by far, Two Worlds...

del_rogeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 del_rogeo

I think Mass Effect will be game of the year for me, with Bioshock a close second.

As good as Bioshock was, I was kind of disappointed there weren't more RPG elements.

wittbolds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wittbolds
Member since 2007 • 503 Posts

360 is getting Square Enix's new franchise along with the PS3.

The Last Remnant.

Personally, I hope they stop making FF games so I can find time to beat them all :P.

del_rogeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 del_rogeo

Aren't we all forgetting Fallout 3?

It's gonna be an RPG, right?

masori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 masori
Member since 2005 • 1680 Posts
don't forget Eternal Sonata
blaqktheory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blaqktheory
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I think Mass Effect will be game of the year for me, with Bioshock a close second.

As good as Bioshock was, I was kind of disappointed there weren't more RPG elements.

del_rogeo

There wasn't much of an RPG element in Bioshock to begin with. It was a standard railesque shooter.

Decoy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Decoy123
Member since 2004 • 816 Posts

Gamespot didn't give Blue Dragon any justice at all. The Xbox has some fantastic RPG's, Oblivion, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Mass Effect...and Lost Oddesy coming next year... Oh yeah, we're all set.

The weakest of the bunch is by far, Two Worlds...

EnigmaticBeauty
kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts
Don't forget lost odyessy
zidan4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 zidan4000
Member since 2006 • 3167 Posts

Lost Odyssey

The Last Remnant

Mass Effect

enough number of RPG's in my opinion , in the end its RPG right? which will take you more than 50 hours to finish each game.

Jenova_Flare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jenova_Flare
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts
MASS EFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 samcotts
Member since 2007 • 305 Posts

MASS EFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Jenova_Flare

Nicely put.

amroe333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 amroe333
Member since 2006 • 886 Posts
Don't get me wrong.. I love the 360, best console for shooters, racers, etc. Honestly though where the hell is the roleplaying genre at? Oblivion rocked.. what else is there? Blue dragon.. no thanks, Eternal sonata looks alright but the animes a turn off. Anything good comming out within this year?
UnLashed
I'm right htere with you. Just hold out for Mass Effect.
del_rogeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 del_rogeo
[QUOTE="del_rogeo"]

blaqktheory

There wasn't much of an RPG element in Bioshock to begin with. It was a standard railesque shooter.

Exactly. I was hoping for more sidemissions and free-roaming aspects.

dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts
Two Worlds is alot better then most people think it is.
del_rogeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 del_rogeo

Two Worlds is alot better then most people think it is. dru26

I played it for about 30 minutes and was not impressed. Maybe it gets better once you get into it or something.

russdmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 russdmoore
Member since 2004 • 261 Posts
Yeap Two Worlds is much better than people are giving credit. I have it on the PC and it is a lot of fun. Big world with a lot to do. Fighting is challenging and simple at the same time. I have truly enjoyed the game.
yucky_straw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 yucky_straw
Member since 2007 • 1225 Posts
Well the best looking one coming out IMO is Mass Effect, it looks fantastic Scarface_tm431
del_rogeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 del_rogeo

The main thing I disliked about Two Worlds was the way the right analogue stick is far too sensitive, to the point of being broken. If you look to the right or left, then no matter how hard you try you can't stop the camera from tilting upwards or downwards, which can be seriously frustrating.

I'd imagine this isn't as much of a problem with mouse control.

Hickamie14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hickamie14
Member since 2007 • 1652 Posts
If you want RPG's then you should have bought a PS3, cause that is there game style, the 360's styleis frikin awsome shooters, and bad a** action games, with some real time strategy, so don't look to your 360 to supply you with your RPG needs, but instead let it provide your needs to kill aliens, and terrorist's. And also Fable 2 comes out 08, and will propebly be the best 360 has two offer for a long time.
Mesosphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mesosphere
Member since 2006 • 39 Posts
Ok for rpg's for xbox there are Mass Effect, Two Worlds The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Blue Dragon,
Eternal Sonata, Fable 2,
Lost Odyssey, The Last Remnant, Phantasy Star Universe, Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom, Enchanted Arms,
Infinite Undiscovery,Elveon,Golden Axe,Rise of the Argonauts,Sacred 2: Fallen Angel,Cry On,Dungeon Explorer,Far East of Eden Ziria,Magna Carta 2,Absolute: Blazing Infinity,Diario: Rebirth Moon Legend,Spectral Force 3: Innocent Rage Ok some of those are out some are not but they are all coming to 360 SO BE HAPPY! oh yeah buy Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom ITS COOL! :)
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 TheGTAvaccine
Member since 2004 • 3591 Posts
You guys know that Mass Effect is a TPS with RPG elements, right?
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 samcotts
Member since 2007 • 305 Posts

You guys know that Mass Effect is a TPS with RPG elements, right?TheGTAvaccine

It's an action role-playing game. It has everything an RPG needs to be one.

Opalescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Opalescent
Member since 2006 • 247 Posts

Mass Effect is by one of the most respected RPG makers in the industry. To recap, Bioware has made:

Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale II
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II (and Throne of Bhaal too)
Planescape: Torment (one of the all-time best storylines for any RPG ever)
Knights of the Old Republic
KOTOR II
Jade Empire

Enough RPGs for you? Even if, as you claim, Mass Effect isn't all RPG, I still think it's likely to be far more RPG than may full-time RPGs out there. I'd rather have a FPS with RPG elements from Bioware, than a full RPG from almost anyone else.

Fallout 3 is also coming out. It's a sequel to a series that singlehandedly revived the RPG genre on PC. Fallout 1 came out when it seemed that the computer role playing game was a dead concept, and it revolutionized the industry. In addition, it's being made by the folks who made Oblivion, and as we all already know, Oblivion was hands down the best RPG of the year.

Fable 2 is a sequel to an excellent RPG. It might've been a bit ... predictable, but Fable was nonetheless a decent romp. What with next-generation graphics and other such goodies, Fable 2 is something to look forward to.

As for those who say the PS3 is the way to go: I have a PS3, as well as an Xbox 360, I can tell you that the Playstation 3 is best if you love japanese RPGs since it has Final Fantasy and other such RPGs. But if you like American-****RPGs, I'd stick with the Xbox.

judas-savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 judas-savior
Member since 2005 • 417 Posts
You guys know that Mass Effect is a TPS with RPG elements, right?TheGTAvaccine

Ive seen enough mass effect to know its an RPG, role-playing isn't just grinding and gaining levels and such its still about building your character, customization, progression etc. and mass effect has all of that and more. to some degree your right concerning the battle system being TPS with RPG elements but im sorry to say your mostly wrong.. its a free-roam RPG universe. Its an RPG with TPS elements in the battle system yes, but the game is so far from being a TPS that I think you must have been living in a hole for the past year...

to sum up a majority of 360's rpg check the following

360 RPG's

- Enchanted Arms
- Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- Blue Dragon
- Two Worlds
- Eternal Sonata
- Mass Effect
- Lost Odyssey
- Fable 2
- Fallout 3
- The Last Remnant
- Infinate Undiscovery
soroush7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 soroush7
Member since 2003 • 1968 Posts
You picked the wrong console :lol:
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Xbox 360 has more RPG's than the "other" consoles and don't knock something until you've played the full thing. Buy Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata and stop complaining. :)
cardinels328

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cardinels328
Member since 2007 • 137 Posts
Haven't you heard of a little game called MASS EFFECT?......
eric7233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 eric7233
Member since 2006 • 99 Posts
bioshock was was anything but a standard shooter .. it was one of the deepest shooters ever .. it had just enough rpg and adventure elements to make it fell like all three of those genres .. fantastic game.
eric7233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 eric7233
Member since 2006 • 99 Posts
between mass effect , oblivion ( and shivering ilses), fable 2 and fallout 3 .. you shoudl be more than satisfied and .. of course theres the asian style rpgs that im not much of a fan of but if you like them .. there will be plenty.
Arch649

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Arch649
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts

The only ones that stand out for me on 360 are Mass Effect and Fable 2. I don't like JRPGs

You want RPGs? go with PC or stick with the PS2.

184him

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 184him
Member since 2006 • 419 Posts
Well, obviously Mass Effect
zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts
I don't think anyone can seriously deny that there is a bit of a drought on the 360 when it comes to RPG's. Oblivion was obviously a good one, but they are few and far between. For myself, the JRPG's that have been released in the last year are not very good and only appeal to the most die-hard turn-based RPG fan. I'm looking forward to Mass Effect which has been mentioned here several times, but other than that we're mostly stuck with first and third-person action games, though many of those games are pretty frickin' good.
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

Mass Effect is by one of the most respected RPG makers in the industry. To recap, Bioware has made:

Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale II
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II (and Throne of Bhaal too)
Planescape: Torment (one of the all-time best storylines for any RPG ever)
Knights of the Old Republic
KOTOR II
Jade Empire

Enough RPGs for you? Even if, as you claim, Mass Effect isn't all RPG, I still think it's likely to be far more RPG than may full-time RPGs out there. I'd rather have a FPS with RPG elements from Bioware, than a full RPG from almost anyone else.

Fallout 3 is also coming out. It's a sequel to a series that singlehandedly revived the RPG genre on PC. Fallout 1 came out when it seemed that the computer role playing game was a dead concept, and it revolutionized the industry. In addition, it's being made by the folks who made Oblivion, and as we all already know, Oblivion was hands down the best RPG of the year.

Fable 2 is a sequel to an excellent RPG. It might've been a bit ... predictable, but Fable was nonetheless a decent romp. What with next-generation graphics and other such goodies, Fable 2 is something to look forward to.

As for those who say the PS3 is the way to go: I have a PS3, as well as an Xbox 360, I can tell you that the Playstation 3 is best if you love japanese RPGs since it has Final Fantasy and other such RPGs. But if you like American-****RPGs, I'd stick with the Xbox.

Opalescent
Black Isle made Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II and Planescape. Obsidian make KotOR II.
urzasucks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 urzasucks
Member since 2004 • 38 Posts
Most of the RPGs mentioned aren't available right now, though Eternal Sonata...
jstarzyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 jstarzyk
Member since 2004 • 3507 Posts
They are all on the Wii Virtual Console. :-X
Tmills_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Tmills_basic
Member since 2002 • 483 Posts
I think we all need to realize that up to this point, both the PS3 and Xbox 360 are qgual in the amount of RPG's that have been RELEASED on both consoles. Both consoles don't have that many RPG's yet....because specifically Japanese RPG makers are having doubts/troubles making games for these new systems (thus so many rpg's still released on PS2). The reason being that Xbox 360 isn't selling well in Japan, but well in U.S. PS3 is selling OK in Japan and OK in U.S., but they know that Sony needs to cut price. and the Wii isn't designed to take on these graphic intensive RPG's that they are designing, thus another complete game would have to be made. At the end of the day, right now both systems are equal in terms of RPG's release, what the future hols? who knows....
zgreenwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#42 zgreenwell
Member since 2007 • 1140 Posts

Blue Dragon is an awesome game, don't let the Gamespot review put you off.

Actually, how Two Worlds got 7/10 and Blue Dragon got 6/10 is completely beyond me. Am I the only one who thought Two Worldswas bad to the point of it being hilarious?

del_rogeo

Agreed. I played Two Worlds and Really liked it, but there are too many bugs. Also, as much as people have applauded the graphis I thought it looked very poor.

Blue Dragon is a great game if you're a fan of the classic Japanese RPG series. It reminds me more of Dragon Quest than anything else, but the system is kind of like Final Fantasy IV. I wrote a Review of Blue Dragon and Two Worlds if you're curious.

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
I think we all need to realize that up to this point, both the PS3 and Xbox 360 are qgual in the amount of RPG's that have been RELEASED on both consoles. Both consoles don't have that many RPG's yet....because specifically Japanese RPG makers are having doubts/troubles making games for these new systems (thus so many rpg's still released on PS2). The reason being that Xbox 360 isn't selling well in Japan, but well in U.S. PS3 is selling OK in Japan and OK in U.S., but they know that Sony needs to cut price. and the Wii isn't designed to take on these graphic intensive RPG's that they are designing, thus another complete game would have to be made. At the end of the day, right now both systems are equal in terms of RPG's release, what the future hols? who knows....Tmills_basic
You're not quite there. Games are still being released on PS2 becuase RPGs take more time to dev, and of course no point releasing major software in such a small market. I mean Eternal Sonata is getting an upgrade and heading to PS3, wise choice cash wise, but if it was say next xmas when the 2 major platforms have a good leg up in Japan and such then its worth the gamble. Youll notice that many of Sqenixs new stuff is planned for around then including FF13/VS.