What's the liklihood I'll be able to play on Xbox Live in college?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#1 NicAgent
Member since 2005 • 4693 Posts
I'm going off to college next year, and I was just curious to see whether or not college dorm rooms are adequate for playing Xbox Live on. Pretty much any college has internet service in the dorms, though will firewalls possibly hinder my experience?
tennisacerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 tennisacerg
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
i am wondering the same thing
cmoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 cmoran
Member since 2004 • 41 Posts

you should be fine...my worked perfectly

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
I'm at college right now, you can yeah, but the connections aren't always the greatest...in my case at least.  The connection I have here is a mere shadow of the one I have back home but it is still broadband.
ELR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 ELR
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Hey man whats up. Some of my friends use a router in there apartment and thats the only way they are able to play on xbox live. So you might have to use one.
cyrax453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cyrax453
Member since 2004 • 1666 Posts
What college? University of South Carolina here, GAMECOCKS.
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NicAgent
Hey man whats up. Some of my friends use a router in there apartment and thats the only way they are able to play on xbox live. So you might have to use one. ELR
You mean, it would not be possible to plug my 360 into the Ethernet jacks in my dorm room and play on Live?
_shaft2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _shaft2000
Member since 2005 • 29 Posts
What are you talking about. Not only will you be able to play xbox live but college will be some of your funnest gaming experiences ever I promise. 
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NicAgent
What are you talking about. Not only will you be able to play xbox live but college will be some of your funnest gaming experiences ever I promise. _shaft2000
You're probably right. But my friend who goes to McDaniel College in Maryland says that his connection is a measly 1Mbps, which would be prohibitively slow to play on Live. Now I am saying this is probably an isolated case, as everyone I've talked to about college internet says that their connections are fine.
cyrax453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cyrax453
Member since 2004 • 1666 Posts
What are you talking about. Not only will you be able to play xbox live but college will be some of your funnest gaming experiences ever I promise. _shaft2000
Yeah, those firewalls are great.
Dancing-Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Dancing-Bear
Member since 2006 • 3077 Posts
Lay off the games in college guys...those will be the best years of your lives! LIVE LIFE!!!! SLEEP WITH WOMEN!!!!!
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NicAgent
[QUOTE="Dancing-Bear"]Lay off the games in college guys...those will be the best years of your lives! LIVE LIFE!!!! SLEEP WITH WOMEN!!!!!

Yeah but since you will constantly be with people, video games would fit in greatly. A study done about college students and video games showed that 100% of students on a particular campus played video games. And this was actually a few years ago...
npatel1447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 npatel1447
Member since 2006 • 400 Posts
[QUOTE="Dancing-Bear"]Lay off the games in college guys...those will be the best years of your lives! LIVE LIFE!!!! SLEEP WITH WOMEN!!!!!

if they are the best years of your life then live them the way you want...if you wanna play video games then by golly play freaking video games!!!!
bik4250_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bik4250_basic
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts
I go to NC State and the connection here kicks ass, faster than a full T1 connection. Its very easy to connect to xbox live. Videogaming has become such a large part of college life the NC State's Campus ResNet service gives you a tutorial on how to connection your console and register it with the schools network. The only downside is that alot of dorm rooms only give you 2 ethernet ports, 1 for you and another for your roommate. A router is a necessity. Look at your school's housing website to see how many ethernet ports are available in the dorms and also check the campus' resnet service to see if they provide any information pertaining to routers or videogame consoles. If you're going to a large university, don't worry about not being able to connect to xbox live. Have fun at college dude.
SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SPHYNXA
Member since 2003 • 2944 Posts
[QUOTE="npatel1447"][QUOTE="Dancing-Bear"]Lay off the games in college guys...those will be the best years of your lives! LIVE LIFE!!!! SLEEP WITH WOMEN!!!!!

if they are the best years of your life then live them the way you want...if you wanna play video games then by golly play freaking video games!!!!

That is a really, really good response. Who's to say that video games wouldn't help make college life the best years of your life? After all... we all do post on a gaming site on a regular basis, that's the reality of it.
LowFatMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LowFatMilk
Member since 2003 • 121 Posts
I go to Washington State University and yes I was able to play on live, but first I had to give the tech people the MAC address from my xbox. The connection was terrible though and made playing online almost impossible. However, because the way the dorms were sit up it was like a giant system link and I could LAN with other guys in 4 other dorms. There were probably 100 or so different guys who played on this so it was a lot of fun. 
bateater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 bateater
Member since 2006 • 363 Posts
college dorms get a hell load of lag from everyone using the same connection. you can do it but you will hate it. so do it if you want. you CAN but shouldnt.
Vance_009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Vance_009
Member since 2004 • 2005 Posts
watch  your other dormmates have a 360 too.

w7w7w7w7w7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 w7w7w7w7w7
Member since 2006 • 4891 Posts
When I lived in the dorms I couldn't due to Firewall issues. You should contact the schools IT department as soon as possible.
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NicAgent
So I guess I can't just hook up a 360 to a dorm room's ethernet port and expect to connect to Xbox Live? I'd have to first do a sh**load of configurations?
KodiakGTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 KodiakGTS
Member since 2003 • 1262 Posts
I'm going off to college next year, and I was just curious to see whether or not college dorm rooms are adequate for playing Xbox Live on. Pretty much any college has internet service in the dorms, though will firewalls possibly hinder my experience?NicAgent
I actually love playing Xbox Live at my college. Its ridiculously fast, even compared to my pretty decent cable at home. Although, set up was a bit of a hassle. They had to do this bit where I gave them the MAC address of the console so they could register it in their system (so the firewall wouldn't block it). Other than that, its been great.
jay_k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 jay_k3
Member since 2006 • 477 Posts
I go to full time school, I work 20 hours a week, a part of two organizations on campus, in the Army national guard, have a girlfriend and a dog, and I still play xbl. You can always find the time to play. On the weekends when I don't have duty, or a big paper or exam, I play the xbox 360 and mostly on live. You can always find the time.

mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts
I do it. I do it every day
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NicAgent
The MAC address? Is that the number that is directly above the A/V cable slot and near the ethernet port on the back of the console?
traxxadeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 traxxadeth
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

What college? University of South Carolina here, GAMECOCKS.cyrax453

Cool deal dude, I graduated in 93!! GO GAMECOCKS.

striker131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 striker131
Member since 2006 • 339 Posts

theres plenty of time to play. College is made out to be this unbelievibly difficult thing, when really all it takes is some good listening skills. I always find plenty of time to play. I was in your position last year

cjswartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cjswartz
Member since 2006 • 150 Posts
I'm going off to college next year, and I was just curious to see whether or not college dorm rooms are adequate for playing Xbox Live on. Pretty much any college has internet service in the dorms, though will firewalls possibly hinder my experience?NicAgent

I'm a sophomore xbox 360 owner in college. Live works, but not perfectly like at home. If you want to play some gears or something with no lag, you'll have to probably play during the middle of the day, because everyone on campus gets on the internet at night and it lags. At least that's how it is for me.
cjswartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cjswartz
Member since 2006 • 150 Posts
The MAC address? Is that the number that is directly above the A/V cable slot and near the ethernet port on the back of the console?NicAgent

No it's in the network settings in the console, its pretty easy to find.. You'll have to email it to someone in charge of the network or whatever.
jayjay7117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 jayjay7117
Member since 2005 • 194 Posts
About 75% of gamers flunked out of my fraternity.  Avoid it... study, drink, get girls.  Plenty of time for games later in life....
Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts
i go to UMBC, you can't play xbox live there.  it's really gay in order to use the internet you need to sign into resnet, the 360 won't be able sign into it to get online.  my one friend managed to somehow use his laptop as a gateway to connect his 360 to his laptop and then get online from there.  but he's only been able to do it once.  so i think it really depends on the college you choose to go to.  but in all honesty.  i highly doubt you'll need xbxo live.  there'll be more than enough kids that'll be down to play some multiplayer 360 with you. which is a lot more fun than xbox live imo
blackenedx41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blackenedx41
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
ummm i am going to play Xbox and sleep with women you can do both
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
ummm i am going to play Xbox and sleep with women you can do bothblackenedx41

I sleep with my woman 2-3 times a day and THEN go play Xbox lol.  Totally possible.
l0n3lyn4t3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 l0n3lyn4t3
Member since 2006 • 75 Posts
I know alot more people that flunked out of school because of partying than because of video games...
sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

I'm already in college and playing on Xbox Live.
statquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 statquo
Member since 2004 • 666 Posts
you shouldnt have a problem, if there is a college out there without broadband connection to for the residents, then you should not attend that place lol.
sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts
[QUOTE="NicAgent"]I'm going off to college next year, and I was just curious to see whether or not college dorm rooms are adequate for playing Xbox Live on. Pretty much any college has internet service in the dorms, though will firewalls possibly hinder my experience?cjswartz

I'm a sophomore xbox 360 owner in college. Live works, but not perfectly like at home. If you want to play some gears or something with no lag, you'll have to probably play during the middle of the day, because everyone on campus gets on the internet at night and it lags. At least that's how it is for me.

I experience the exact opposite.  At night my internet connection runs faster.  During the day all of campus is using the internet so its slower.  I play mostly at night.
jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jmartinez1983
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts
College was my best XBL connection time, gotta love T3 man. I was there while Halo 2 was at its peak and I was always the host, so never had any problems with people using standby. Hopefully you will be fine.
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NicAgent
Well do ya guys think that there is a better likelihood of a good internet connection at a large state school such as UCONN as opposed to a small liberal arts college somewhere?
jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jmartinez1983
Well do ya guys think that there is a better likelihood of a good internet connection at a large state school such as UCONN as opposed to a small liberal arts college somewhere?NicAgent
I really hope you aren't going to base much of you college decision on what kind of connection you get. Anyways, the information should be on their websites. Smaller schools mean fewer users, but that also probably means less bandwidth in general. UCONN will probably have more bandwidtch but tens of thousands of users. Almost anywhere you go it should be fine as long as your roomates aren't downloading massive amounts of pron why you try to line up a headshot.
jhotmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 jhotmann
Member since 2005 • 2763 Posts
i go to a small school (2500 people) and in the dorms the internet was insanely slow and i wasnt able to play without serious lag...i have no idea about state schools or anything
P3NCE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 P3NCE
Member since 2005 • 272 Posts
I hope Indiana State has good internet that is what I have been worrying about.  I just got a full scholarship to play football there.
dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dhjohns
Member since 2003 • 5105 Posts
It really depends. Most colleges restrict the bandwidth for gamers. I know when I was in grad school, I could not use the college's internet to play. Made everything laggy :(
musclesforcier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 musclesforcier
Member since 2004 • 2894 Posts
There should be an ethernet jack in the room, but most colleges cap your bandwidth so it might be a bit laggy.
sjdwales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sjdwales
Member since 2006 • 580 Posts
i was wondering could u pay for an internet serice in ur dorm if u wanted too? and if u get the internet with ur cell phone company, eg verison wireless. is there a way of using that internet with a router or something?
ss5rmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 ss5rmp
Member since 2005 • 5864 Posts

100% college is easier than high school so if ur a gamer ull play.

jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jmartinez1983
I hope Indiana State has good internet that is what I have been worrying about. I just got a full scholarship to play football there.P3NCE
Grats man, prepare for 4 years of *almost* being decent. I feel the pain tho, I go to Notre Dame and we are *almost* a really good team. Stupid crappy secondary.
jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jmartinez1983
i was wondering could u pay for an internet serice in ur dorm if u wanted too? and if u get the internet with ur cell phone company, eg verison wireless. is there a way of using that internet with a router or something?sjdwales
Probably not in a way you would like it. You can get dialup in your room since you will probably have a phone line, but that's about it. As for verizon, if you want a really crappy connection, you can get a verizon wireless card and connect your 360 through a laptop. But yeah, it would suck.

100% college is easier than high school so if ur a gamer ull play.

ss5rmp
Loaded statement for sure. At times, college is more laid back since most people only have a few hours of class a day instead of 6, but, depending on the classes you take you could end up with more work than ever before. Though, of course, if you are a slacker you can get through college doing almost nothing, but you get out what you put in.