Whats the deal with Gamespot's slow arse game reviews???

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uschris0304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 uschris0304
Member since 2008 • 113 Posts

I dont get how games have come out over a week ago, or even more, and they still dont have a review yet...I mean come on how hard can it be??? And I dont want to hear its because they have a ton of reviews to do for alot of games on different consoles or PC....If thats the case they should hire more people then....If I owned GameSpot, I'd have it run where there is a review for every game on its release date....I mean I can see being a day or 2 late with a review when a game is released, but a week and a half?? 2 weeks??? MLB the Show 08 came out yesterday and I want to know NOW what rating they give it, and what they give MLB 2k8....But thats probably not coming anytime soon cuz they havent even done a review for Frontline Fuel of War or TP Fall of Liberty, and they came out over a week ago...chop chop gamespot, chop chop

FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FearTheRain
Member since 2008 • 1470 Posts

It's not Gamespot's responsibility to release reviews on a designated date.

They will be released when they are done. Gamespot's reviews are very poory written anyways. I like IGN personally...

Muhannad_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Muhannad_basic
Member since 2002 • 3687 Posts

Why would you care? GS's reviews are horribly flawed anyway, plus I heard that alot of there staff are leaving after what happened to Jeff.

loserboyone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 loserboyone
Member since 2003 • 66 Posts
they used to come out in a timely fashion. it seems like the last few months it has gotten slow. i guess that's why i pay more attention to ign.
Avatar image for Del_The_Prophet
Del_The_Prophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Del_The_Prophet
Member since 2006 • 251 Posts
I used to wait to hear what Gamespot.com gave a game before I bought it, but not any more. The ratings are terrible on this site. I agree with others...go to IGN.com if you want a solid review of a game.
celtic1962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 125

#6 celtic1962
Member since 2004 • 13200 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. Not that I base my purchases on GS reviews but I do like to read them, and I've been noticing that lately the newest games are getting reviews over at IGN but not here.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Have you guys not been paying attention to the Jeff situation?
oldmanB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 oldmanB
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts
What's the Jeff situtation? What happened?
Robot_Vampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Robot_Vampire
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts
I find that Gamespot's reviews are well written and I go to other sites to get an overall view on a game. With the Jeff situation, Gamespot have been short staffed give them a few months and I'm sure they'll get back on track.
deadbeat2381

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deadbeat2381
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

well gamespot seems to wait on giving reviews to games that have advertisements on their site....they do not want to give a bad review to a game that is being advertised so they wait a little while, and once the ads are over they review it

celtic1962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 celtic1962
So has the Jeff situation made it so that they can't review games in a timely manner anymore?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts
whos jeff and what happend to him?
JFRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 JFRocker
Member since 2003 • 205 Posts

It's not Gamespot's responsibility to release reviews on a designated date.

They will be released when they are done. Gamespot's reviews are very poory written anyways. I like IGN personally...

FearTheRain

I disagree. I believe they do have a responsibility to get reviews out by the release date. The consumer should be informed at the time the game is available for purchase. You could say they are not obligated, which is to say they don't have to get a review out by law. It never used to be this way. Gamespot always had it's reviews out on time. I agree with the first post. There are no excuses for late reviews. It's an incredibly slow time as far as game releases go and there are still games that have been out for 2 weeks or more without a review.*

*Note to Moderator: Please don't MOD this. This is just my opinion and as you can plainly see, no vulgar language or insults were used. Thanks.

steveslugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 steveslugga
Member since 2007 • 1344 Posts
They are just simply lazy, i dont care what they say, just hire anybody & give me a review, for every game that takes 3 weeks to review they are only losing more & more readers, they are lucky the forums are so popular otherwise they would have nothing
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

whos jeff and what happend to him?toast_burner

[mr. X wrote:]

''10-year Gamespot employee Jeff Gerstmann was fired, allegedly for the scathing video review of Kane and Lynch when at the same time the whole site was littered with K&L adds."

this is not me talking. I quoted someone on the forum a few months ago

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 killerfist

I dont think it has anything to do with the "Jeff situation". Its non of my buisness anyway.

Im not basing my opinion/purchases on GS reviews. I like to read them, but I dont care if I miss them

gamming_master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamming_master
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts

wat happened to Jeff

Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Aaron89
Member since 2003 • 3377 Posts

I agree with the slow reviews lately, but I don't really mind. Websites are allowed to slow down here or there, whether it be lack of staff or otherwise.

You people realize you're on the Internet, right? Google "[insert game name here] review" and voila. Plus, after the x0.5 score implementation, GS reviews have gone downhill.

PS: Why are we talking about this in the Xbox 360 section, again?

celtic1962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 celtic1962
Because there are a number of games that have come out for the 360 that have received reviews from just about everywhere except Gamespot, and obviously we can go to other sites but it's just strange that GS is really lagging now with their own reviews.
JFRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JFRocker

I agree with the slow reviews lately, but I don't really mind. Websites are allowed to slow down here or there, whether it be lack of staff or otherwise.

You people realize you're on the Internet, right? Google "[insert game name here] review" and voila. Plus, after the x0.5 score implementation, GS reviews have gone downhill.

Aaron89

We're talking about it here because 360 reviews have been late. Also, it's obvious that you can get a game review from just anywhere, but we are discussing Gamespot's ethic concerning reviews. They are still one of the major players as far as critics go. I could write a review for Frontlines right now, but I doubt I'd get the same hit count that Gamespot would. Not to mention, there are people who are paid subscribers and reviews are part of the over all service package.

3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts
Culdcept Saga came out a month ago (that's right, Feb 5th) and there's not a review for it yet.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
After Jeff was fired, more and more reviews are leaving. I think 3-5 reviewers are gone so they have to split up more work between less reviewers.
celtic1962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 celtic1962
I guess no one wants to torture themselves with reviewing Turning Point:) I looked at Metacritic and so far IGN and Game Informer are the only ones that have done a review:lol:
Avatar image for volcomstoner180
volcomstoner180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 volcomstoner180
Member since 2008 • 4410 Posts

Why would you care? GS's reviews are horribly flawed anyway, plus I heard that alot of there staff are leaving after what happened to Jeff.

Muhannad_basic

what excatly happened to jeff....details pls

i heard that a lot of staff had left for some reason.......brutal

i was hoping for a army of 2 review by now....should have been here

or something interesting to read anyway

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

1 GameSpot is significantly understaffed compared to years previous.

2 GameSpot has said they don't review the games before their street release which contradicts Kevin Van-Ords situation with the review version of Lost Odyssey versus the retail version.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 killerfist
[QUOTE="Muhannad_basic"]

volcomstoner180

what excatly happened to jeff....details pls

lol does anyone actualy read my post? its one the 2nd page!

Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Aaron89
Member since 2003 • 3377 Posts
[QUOTE="Aaron89"]

JFRocker

We're talking about it here because 360 reviews have been late. Also, it's obvious that you can get a game review from just anywhere, but we are discussing Gamespot's ethic concerning reviews. They are still one of the major players as far as critics go. I could write a review for Frontlines right now, but I doubt I'd get the same hit count that Gamespot would. Not to mention, there are people who are paid subscribers and reviews are part of the over all service package.

Fair enough, and I definitely see your point(s). Quite honestly, the only site I would read/watch reviews was Gamespot for the longest time. Now I'm forced to scavenge around the .Net for a decent read.

Food_Nipple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Food_Nipple
Member since 2003 • 8379 Posts
They have so few reviewers left they just can't keep up.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

They have to wait for the checks to clear first so they can know which score to put up.

Seriously though, they're really short on staff right now thanks to the mass exodus of reviewers in the wake of the Gerstmann scandle.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
[QUOTE="JFRocker"][QUOTE="Aaron89"]

Aaron89

Fair enough, and I definitely see your point(s). Quite honestly, the only site I would read/watch reviews was Gamespot for the longest time. Now I'm forced to scavenge around the .Net for a decent read.

I usually just go to IGN for reviews. They seem to actually back up there opinions. GameSpot's reviews would still be somewhat valid if they would have just kept the old review system where it showed you what they though of every category (graphics, gameplay, replay value, etc). Now all you get is a one page (if its an important release 2) opinion with a random number thats unexplained in the review.

marshbaboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 marshbaboon
Member since 2005 • 417 Posts
i wouldnt worry too much about it... gamespot reviewers are usually hyped up fanboys... ign reviews have been spot on for me every single time...
Avatar image for Danthegamingman
Danthegamingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33 Danthegamingman
Member since 2003 • 19978 Posts

I dont get how games have come out over a week ago, or even more, and they still dont have a review yet...I mean come on how hard can it be??? And I dont want to hear its because they have a ton of reviews to do for alot of games on different consoles or PC....If thats the case they should hire more people then....If I owned GameSpot, I'd have it run where there is a review for every game on its release date....I mean I can see being a day or 2 late with a review when a game is released, but a week and a half?? 2 weeks??? MLB the Show 08 came out yesterday and I want to know NOW what rating they give it, and what they give MLB 2k8....But thats probably not coming anytime soon cuz they havent even done a review for Frontline Fuel of War or TP Fall of Liberty, and they came out over a week ago...chop chop gamespot, chop chop

uschris0304
What do you expect when half Gamespots staff has quit since Nov 2007. Jeff G was fired just before Thanksgiving and since then T. Tracy, F. Provo, A. Navaro, and R. Davis have all left.
MattRushmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MattRushmore
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

I do not understand this "reading" word. Why would you "read" a review?

I have 2 words for you all:

VIDEO REVIEW!

I love em.

R.I.P. Jeff! Kudos to you for tellin it how it is!

devil_1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 devil_1994
Member since 2007 • 596 Posts

Muhannad_basic
ya it's getting really annoying is this the end of gs :( i hope not
JFRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JFRocker

I usually just go to IGN for reviews. They seem to actually back up there opinions. GameSpot's reviews would still be somewhat valid if they would have just kept the old review system where it showed you what they though of every category (graphics, gameplay, replay value, etc). Now all you get is a one page (if its an important release 2) opinion with a random number thats unexplained in the review.

Ket87

I completely agree.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

I find that Gamespot's reviews are well written and I go to other sites to get an overall view on a game. With the Jeff situation, Gamespot have been short staffed give them a few months and I'm sure they'll get back on track.Robot_Vampire

Haha, have fun with that. IGN is so much better...

xXHackettXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xXHackettXx
Member since 2006 • 3560 Posts
The only reason I look at Gamespots reviews is for system wars. By the time their reviews come out i've already watched the ign.com review and probably already own it.
spidey008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39 spidey008
Member since 2002 • 2309 Posts
All of the good game reviewers have left gamespot because they fired Jeff Gerstman. This is why reviews are late. I don't really come to gamespot for reviews anymore. Try another site.
Gizmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gizmonk
Member since 2007 • 171 Posts
I think that its the severe understaffing in the review department at GS. With everyone leaving, and all of the reviews getting dumped on a handfull of people, I don't exactly expect non big name titles to be reviewed in a timely manner. Give it time young grasshoppers. GS will rebuild like all major companies do.
uschris0304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 uschris0304
I was checking out IGN last night, and its cool, but I dont see how its soooo dead on accurate like everyone on here is saying...I bet all VG reviewing web sites give good reviews and bad reviews....a quick example....IGN gave DMC 4 a 8.7, and GamSpot gave it a 8.0, lol, yeah right DMC 4 is a 8.0, its much better then that, so in this case I agree with IGN....BUT, on BioShock, IGN gave it a 9.7, and GameSpot a 9.0, (I ever saw another site give bioshock a 10??) come on now, its a cool game, some like it, some dont, but no way is Bioshock a perfect, or even near perfect game...The replay value on that game is wack, infact I just traded my BioShock in yesterday to get MLB The show 08 (ps3)..
destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 destinhpark

I was checking out IGN last night, and its cool, but I dont see how its soooo dead on accurate like everyone on here is saying...I bet all VG reviewing web sites give good reviews and bad reviews....a quick example....IGN gave DMC 4 a 8.7, and GamSpot gave it a 8.0, lol, yeah right DMC 4 is a 8.0, its much better then that, so in this case I agree with IGN....BUT, on BioShock, IGN gave it a 9.7, and GameSpot a 9.0, (I ever saw another site give bioshock a 10??) come on now, its a cool game, some like it, some dont, but no way is Bioshock a perfect, or even near perfect game...The replay value on that game is wack, infact I just traded my BioShock in yesterday to get MLB The show 08 (ps3)..uschris0304

I feel sorry for you...traded in Bioshock for The Show..haha, awful.

uschris0304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 uschris0304
Why you feel sorry for me?? After I beat the game I knew I was never going to play it again, so might as well get something out of it...I feel sorry for the people who actually think this is a great game and one of the best games all time, cuz the game is simply OK, and thats all it is...Its cool in the beginning, when you are in awe of the graphics and under water scene. Its also cool when you 1st use the plasmids and can pick up and throw objects, set people on fire, freeze people...but that only lasts so long, cuz once you start moving along in the game. The game gets old quick, and I had to force myself to finish it so I wouldnt feel so dumb for spending 60 on it.... Once you move along in the game, its all the same thing over and over again...which is killing splicers, take there money, ammo etc. and walk around looking for 3 Big Daddys to blow up with your grenade launcher, the same EXACT big daddys that you have been blowing up all game long, so you can keep rescuing the same EXACT girl with the same voice just different hair color, so you can get her ADAM...not to mention there is no skill needed or unique ways of killing these big daddys, just stand there and launch grenades til he dies...all while you have these ANNOYING Ammo vending machines screaming the same stuff all game long...and on top of that, the game is sooooo easy you can beat it without even dying once... Its not a bad game or the worst game ever or anything, its just way overrated thats all
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 killerfist

Gamespot reviews games?

I thought they just post bogus opinions on games...

Anyways, why would anyone look to Gamespot for advice? They post their so called "reviews" over a week after a game is released. By that time most people have already bought or rented the game and made up their own mind. ;)

FearTheRain

lol that doesnt apply for me (or any other european 360 user). game releases are about a week later in Europe.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 destinhpark

Why you feel sorry for me?? After I beat the game I knew I was never going to play it again, so might as well get something out of it...I feel sorry for the people who actually think this is a great game and one of the best games all time, cuz the game is simply OK, and thats all it is...Its cool in the beginning, when you are in awe of the graphics and under water scene. Its also cool when you 1st use the plasmids and can pick up and throw objects, set people on fire, freeze people...but that only lasts so long, cuz once you start moving along in the game. The game gets old quick, and I had to force myself to finish it so I wouldnt feel so dumb for spending 60 on it.... Once you move along in the game, its all the same thing over and over again...which is killing splicers, take there money, ammo etc. and walk around looking for 3 Big Daddys to blow up with your grenade launcher, the same EXACT big daddys that you have been blowing up all game long, so you can keep rescuing the same EXACT girl with the same voice just different hair color, so you can get her ADAM...not to mention there is no skill needed or unique ways of killing these big daddys, just stand there and launch grenades til he dies...all while you have these ANNOYING Ammo vending machines screaming the same stuff all game long...and on top of that, the game is sooooo easy you can beat it without even dying once... Its not a bad game or the worst game ever or anything, its just way overrated thats alluschris0304

Heh. Yeppp...

jjbiggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 jjbiggs
Member since 2003 • 164 Posts
Forget about how slow the reviews are. The new batch of video review guys really bug me.
killercuts3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 killercuts3
Member since 2003 • 3355 Posts

they used to come out in a timely fashion. it seems like the last few months it has gotten slow. i guess that's why i pay more attention to ign.loserboyone

No. The low priority/hype games are normally reviews fridays of the week they are released. Priority games are released on the release date. That is normally what happends.

natsirt67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 natsirt67
Member since 2005 • 891 Posts

Muhannad_basic

What happened to jeff ?

conshymatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 conshymatt
Member since 2006 • 57 Posts

so funny, i was just thinking about this this morning, and was going to post a topic about it. i've been slowly getting away from GS, as it's been frustrating waiting for reviews. GS is all i used to read. since many of their reviews come out so late, i've been "forced" to check out other sites for reviews, and now i find myself gravitating towards those sites as my first choice.

you'd think that they would make it a priority to get back to full speed as i'm sure they are aware that having a good place in a marketplace is not guaranteed. they are one of the leading sites for a young industry (online video game info) and it makes sense to capitalize off of their early to the party status.