What is Microsoft Doing? (Little to No Notable Exclusives)

darkknight9174

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 darkknight9174
Member since 2011 • 247 Posts

I'm no marketing or business strategist, but it seems to me like Microsoft has almost no coherent strategy for the Xbox product. Other than Forza, Gears and Halo, I can't think of any exclusives they have or have lined up. Gears 4 was actually a good game, and Halo 5 was, except for the single-player, pretty good also; however, Halo 5 was 3 years ago and Gears was 2. There has been a drought of exclusives for 2 years now. Serious question: what are they doing?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44021 Posts

Sea of Thieves and State of Decay2 launched this year... Sheeesh!!!

/thread..

Plus... System Wars is that-a-way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7216 Posts

Forza Horizon 4

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Wow TC, how hard can it be to look up xBox One games? And bringing this ignorance into the wrong board? What a fail

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#5 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Wrong board.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Assuming even an ounce of actual shits you care, that anything I could tell you could even remotely change your mind...Why does Microsoft Studios have to do what Nintendo and Sony does? Xbox has a fan base who likes certain games and Xbox gives it to them. If you don't like them, then that's your problem. Certainly there is something to be said about not having something all the Ponies and Nintendo fans want, but Xbox isn't a Japanese Waifu Box. Sony pushed out a couple solid releases, and people want Xbox pronounced dead, yet Sony is tapped out so much they can't even do a PSX cause they couldn't possibly keep this up. Days Gone will not be a God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn.

Answer I'd give someone actually curious:
They released Ori and Blind Forest, Super Lucky's Tales and Cuphead, some of the best platformers out there. They revived many Rare games with Rare Replay, along of bringing back Voodoo Vince and Phantom Dust, along with countless 360 era games, including remasters of GoW1 and nearly every Halo game. They had amazing non-1st party exclusives like ReCore, Dead Rising 3 and 4, Titanfall, Quantum Break, Ryse Son of Rome, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Sunset Overdrive. Forza has been the absolute best racing games on the market that only got better. PUGB has been one of the best shooters in years starting the battleground fad. Killer Instinct hasn't been absolute best fighter but still a good fighter. Gears and Halo are their bread and butter, but have released quality "streamer" multiplayer like games with Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2. Yeah Xbox could have done their own GoW and HZD, but they didn't, plenty of 3rd party games make those games.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

At the very least Japanese games on Xbox are on the uptick

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By TurboGraphix
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts

@saltslasher said:

Assuming even an ounce of actual shits you care, that anything I could tell you could even remotely change your mind...Why does Microsoft Studios have to do what Nintendo and Sony does? Xbox has a fan base who likes certain games and Xbox gives it to them. If you don't like them, then that's your problem. Certainly there is something to be said about not having something all the Ponies and Nintendo fans want, but Xbox isn't a Japanese Waifu Box. Sony pushed out a couple solid releases, and people want Xbox pronounced dead, yet Sony is tapped out so much they can't even do a PSX cause they couldn't possibly keep this up. Days Gone will not be a God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn.

Answer I'd give someone actually curious:

They released Ori and Blind Forest, Super Lucky's Tales and Cuphead, some of the best platformers out there. They revived many Rare games with Rare Replay, along of bringing back Voodoo Vince and Phantom Dust, along with countless 360 era games, including remasters of GoW1 and nearly every Halo game. They had amazing non-1st party exclusives like ReCore, Dead Rising 3 and 4, Titanfall, Quantum Break, Ryse Son of Rome, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Sunset Overdrive. Forza has been the absolute best racing games on the market that only got better. PUGB has been one of the best shooters in years starting the battleground fad. Killer Instinct hasn't been absolute best fighter but still a good fighter. Gears and Halo are their bread and butter, but have released quality "streamer" multiplayer like games with Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2. Yeah Xbox could have done their own GoW and HZD, but they didn't, plenty of 3rd party games make those games.

I raise my glass to you, that was beautifully written.

State of Decay 2 and Forza Horizon 4 + Multi Plats is more than enough gaming for this year. Come next year you got Gears 5, that's going to be another 250+ hours of my life like it was with the previous entry lol.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 732 Posts

I feel like I'm one of those rare people that owns multiple consoles and really doesn't want one to be better than the other. I admittedly was more pleased with last gen XBox than this one, but overall it hasn't been bad. State of Decay was fun as was Sunset Overdrive. My biggest issue with the XBox is that I'm not the gamer this console is aimed at. I don't like racing games, thus Forza isn't great for me and I've never cared for Halo (sacrilege I know).

All in all, I'm a singleplayer fan, and Sony has met my expectations in that regard and is my favorite console this gen. However, I'm someone who supports games over consoles and think that one console winning over the others isn't great for the consumer. I'm hoping that next gen has the XBox catching up with 1st party exclusives. These guys need to compete for our business.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

People saying Halo, Gears, and Forza. to me it's like hearing Pizza, Tacos, french Fries. I love all those things and damn right I want more!

Don't worry they have an additional 10 Studios working on other games now!

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#11  Edited By oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

Hyperbole aside...you know why Xbox doesnt bring out more exclusives? Because when they do the so-called fans shit on them this gen.

The exclusive games they've brought out this gen have all actually been fairly solid games, contrary to what the hate hivemind says.

Lets review:

Killer Instinct is a solid game with a pretty healthy fanbase if you like fighters. Its free.

Ryse got shit on because it was the first major 'next gen' title this gen, but its actually a pretty decent game. I actually liked it better than most of the third party open world story games that came out this gen.

Quantum Break got shit on. Its also a decent game. People bashed it for the tv tie-in which was probably a wasted effort.

Sunset Overdrive is a fun quality game. One thing that should have happened to make it a big hit was put in a better MP mode. If Battle Royale was a thing back when SO dropped and it got a mode like that it would be a Fortnite level game.

The Dead Rising games are entertaining for what they are if you like them.

ReCore got shit on. Its also actually a decent game that got the same treatment that Fallout 76 is currently getting by critics. People are judging it based on assuming its a different type of game than it is. People judge it as an open world game when its really a 3D platformer. For me reCore is a better game than Nier Automata which gets hype because of all the weeaboo catering asscam shots, but is a kind of shallow repetitive game.

Halo 5 - Contrary to popular belief, Halo 5 is a really good game and has had over 100 free updates. Sure I get people didnt like the story for the lack of Chief (thats another story which I could also break down as to why it was done), but Halo 5 is easily the best console shooter this gen.

Titanfall 1 got shit on for lack of campaign, but quality wise its a top 3 shooter of this gen as well. Way better than Titanfall 2 which got dumbed down with the tacked on campaign which it doesnt need. I dont get why people always want campaigns on games that are primarily designed to be MP games. Most of the people I know that are hardcore players of games like BF, CoD etc. dont even play the campaign. These games would be better served by using the money they waste on these short on rails campaigns to add more multiplayer content. MP gamers arent constantly demanding they add multiplayer to all these single player games, so I dont get why so many single player gamers are always demanding single player in MP games.

Master Chief Collection got shit on for the initial bugginess which it deserved, but as an overall product its steal of a deal. The remaster work is top notch and as a testament you can get on any of the games on MCC right now and find a match in minutes.

Super Lucky's Tale is also a decent game if you like platformers.

Forza and Horizon have all been top notch games this gen that just get better every installment. Both shit all over DriveClub and GT.

Gears 4 was a solid game this gen. Still has a huge active player base. People shit on Gears for it being 'just more Gears/dudebro' game, but thats what its supposed to be.

Halo Wars 2 gets shit on these forums relentlessly, but as an RTS gamer myself, its one of the better RTS games to come out in the last 5 years and thats saying something for it being a console game. Its one of my favorite games this gen on any console. Besides SC2, what other RTS games have actually made a splash this gen? Not many.

Sea of Thieves is actually a decent game with a healthy playerbase. It also has had a constant stream of updates as well. I get some people dont like it, but a lot of people do.

State of Decay 2 was also a pretty fun game if you like that genre. I did exactly what it supposed to do and improved on first one by a lot.

Cuphead and Ori are solid titles.

Thats 17 Xbox exclusives this gen so far and I know theres something I'm probably missing.

As far as the future goes, theres plenty.

They've already announced Halo Infinite, which if I had to guess will make Halo an online ongoing game where player interaction effects the Halo Universe. Part of the reason Halo 5 had the story it did was because it was the first part of a trilogy of games. Its like judging the Lord of the Rings just watch the Fellowship. MS has already said theyy plan on keeping Halo around pretty much forever and the way to do this is use the expanded Halo universe which has a deep lore base. theres just so many times Chief can save the universe before it gets cliche and hes already done that multiple times. using the expanded Halo universe for a game is genius in my book and as a Halo fan I cant wait. Theya re making a brand new engine just for this game and based on how incredible halo 5 looks enhanced I cant wait.

Theres a new Ori game coming out.

Crackdown 3 is coming out in February.

Playground games has a non driving IP in development. They are one of the best devs in the business which isnt really questionable. Rumor has it they are working on an open world Fable game. With updated graphics I could see this being a Zelda level game.

They acquired a bunch of new studios. the Hellblade studio is already working on a new title for Xbox. They have Obsidian and InExile working on new titles as well.

They're bringing a bunch of Japanese stuff to the console. The FFXIII remaster on Xbox is the best version.

MS added keyboard and mouse support to Xbox so there will be more PC titles coming for sure. Age of Empires will probably come to Xbox as well as other RTS games with this which I'm all for.

Ashen is still supposed to be released this year as is Below.

Theres also still stuff like Black Desert and Bless in the pipeline and all the ID@Xbox games like Ooblets.
Not exclusives, but exclusivity isnt really their strat anymore with Play Anywhere and Gamepass.

MS has already stated they have a preference for not making AAA level mega games their new strat is to go back to the 360 era of a lot of $30 AA games which I'm also all for. Thats what games like Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2 are.

To me the issue isnt MS' lack of games. its lack of games that you like since Xbox primarily caters to the MP crowd.

if you look comparatively, over the course of this gen Sony hasnt really put out many more games than them. The difference is the Sony games get hyped to oblivion for so long prior to coming out that people automatically overrate them on release.

But the reality is some of the Sony games are solid titles and some arent just like on Xbox. (DriveClub and The Order and Detroit ring a bell?)

Many of their games cant sell 1 million units with a 80+ million install base. Even their big heavy hitters make big noise at release then a month later no one is talking about them because they are single player games. A lot of their games are mediocre games coated in a shiny graphic cover but shallow and non innovative like Horizon Zero Dawn which is another cut and paste third person open world game with the same old formulaic design.

But this whole 'Xbox has no games' stuff is BS. I have 400 games on my Xbox One X. If you cant find something to play in there you just dont like gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

People seem to only notice gaps in Xbox's games. It wasn't even 6 months after Gears 4/Dead Rising 4/Forza Horizon 3, and not even a year from ReCore/Quantum Break/Ori and Blind Forest, when people said Xbox has no games.

Nintendo did jack shit for several years, and releases BotW, and everyone wiped their slate clean (as they should with a new machine). PS4 did minimal for years, but finally gets The Last Guardian/Persona 5 after a decade (but no one hates on them for waiting so damn long), and releases HZD, and all of a sudden they are exclusive masters, when really, it took that long to finally make PS4 worth buying.

People act like not having a HZD/Zelda in March was weakness, yet everyone knows Sony is the one who does big Spring releases. People only started pointing microscope at Xbox cause finally PS4 actually had games that weren't remasters. People still say Xbox did nothing in 2017, despite the fact that Super Lucky's Tales, Halo Wars 2, Voodoo Vince, Phantom Dust and Cuphead are still good substance, and PUBG sold more on Xbox than nearly any PS4 period.

What I do agree on is Xbox's up and down marketing. When they do marketing good, its freaking fantastic. But when they don't, its horrible and always misses the market. Aaron Greenberg is a shitty hype man and does little for the product.

I also do see that One is not outperforming 360 in first party content. By this year on 360, they were releasing Alan Wake, Crackdown 3, Fable 3, and Halo Reach in 1 year, plus owned the Indie Game market.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7216 Posts

Xbox has had games the problem being this year apart from forza horizon 4 the quality was lacking. The studios have been brought to gear up for next generation.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#14 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

There's a lot of games out for Xbox, but I do agree it's missing the big games like The Last of Us and God of War, but I think that's coming. 2019 and 2020 are going to be exciting years for Xbox.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

@darkknight9174: They are just waiting for next gen to finally come.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@speedytimsi said:

@darkknight9174: They are just waiting for next gen to finally come.

Agreed. I think they had a few misses this gen on several levels, ranging from disappointments to downright failures, and I think they took a step back to reevaluate their strategy for next-gen.

Avatar image for urlookinatglory
urlookinatglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 urlookinatglory
Member since 2019 • 4 Posts

Well, they got the studios now, just have to wait a few years for the pay off