What if MS & Sega team up to emulate Dreamcast on xbox one?

pcvirginrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By pcvirginrace
Member since 2017 • 192 Posts

Have a DC launch in xone that can play games downloaded through xbox store and make a new DC controller to hook up with xone.

Im not sure how tech or emulators work but the OG Xbox was intended to play Dreamcast disc but the deal didn't go through.

I think the og xb was still capable of Sega CD games though through some sort of neogeo or maybe mod I'm not sure but there's a lot of info on it online.

Ms and Sega did team up to build the Dreamcast and Xbox is about the closest we had to Dreamcast 2. Sega even moved on to Xbox to make their exclusives including:

"Shenmue 2", "panzer dragoon orta", "Otogi 1&2"

Not sure if it's possible to update Xbox and make it read the license from old DC disc then download the classic DC game from xb store like how 360 emulator works. when inserting DC disc to Xone, a voice will promote up saying "this game is intended for Sega Dreamcast" so the Xbox knows

I heard DC disc were just basically CD ROMs and but more space and had terrible security anyone can pirate them so I think it's just a matter of Sega giving permission.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#2 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

No idea how it could work technically speaking, but would be cool definitely. I know the DC had some nice racers and also Capcom vs SNK 1, a fighter I love. I would definitely buy some games from that catalog

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Nah, rather Sega get a skies of Arcadia remaster.

pcvirginrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pcvirginrace

@Alucard_Prime: well xone has the power. In fact there was a dev working on a uwp windows/Xbox store app that can run Dreamcast rom. Not sure what happened to that.

Dreamcast runs on a some form of windows CE and Xbox runs on windows too so it wouldn't be hard.

The only issue would be Sega giving Ms rights to put the classics on Xbox store and Xbox providing the space and resource for Sega to do so.

As for inserting the disc into xone and authenticating it, that might or might not be difficult.

Either way I can see Sega releasing a remodelled Dreamcast controller(both Sega and Ms admitted Xbox controller was inspired by) and have a USB port on the vmu to charge instead of using internal battery. Plug and play on Xbox

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 sirkibble2
Member since 2005 • 981 Posts

Why not just put Dreamcast games on the Xbox One...?

Or Sega just make a Dreamcast mini or whatever.

pcvirginrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pcvirginrace

@sirkibble2: they can do that. TBH if Ms and Sega did team up to do an emIulator i don't think Ms will have anything against Sega releasing a DC mini in fact it may benefit both.

But a store section on Xbox for DC games would be ideal. It's just that emulation is only so that the mini DC can cross play with DC games on xbl. Since Sega has no more online service they need xbl to provide it even on the DC mini.

Plus, maybe there may be a way Ms can make old DC disc detectable on xone and then download the game from Xbox store and use the disc as authentication to play the digital version.

And of course if we want full functionality of vmu, Sega would have to re release a controller that is rechargeable via USB but still function similarly. So we can't just add DC games to Xbox if we want full feature of DC. I think it would be ideal to have an emu and a remodelled DC controller(dc controller heavily influenced the Xbox controller. FACTS)

Avatar image for snakes_righteye
snakes_righteye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 snakes_righteye
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts

If Xbox had Skies of Arcadia I'd buy one

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 sirkibble2
Member since 2005 • 981 Posts
@pcvirginrace said:

@sirkibble2: they can do that. TBH if Ms and Sega did team up to do an emIulator i don't think Ms will have anything against Sega releasing a DC mini in fact it may benefit both.

But a store section on Xbox for DC games would be ideal. It's just that emulation is only so that the mini DC can cross play with DC games on xbl. Since Sega has no more online service they need xbl to provide it even on the DC mini.

Plus, maybe there may be a way Ms can make old DC disc detectable on xone and then download the game from Xbox store and use the disc as authentication to play the digital version.

And of course if we want full functionality of vmu, Sega would have to re release a controller that is rechargeable via USB but still function similarly. So we can't just add DC games to Xbox if we want full feature of DC. I think it would be ideal to have an emu and a remodelled DC controller(dc controller heavily influenced the Xbox controller. FACTS)

I don't know. I don't think all the effort is worth it. I don't get the vibe that fans of the Dreamcast are actually in love with the hardware. They're fans of what it was doing in its time and the games it had. But I will say that I do think it is worth looking into hardware emulation so that people who own physical Dreamcast games can play them if they don't have a Dreamcast anymore (for whatever reason). But again, might not be enough people to put the R&D and what-not to make it happen.

pcvirginrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pcvirginrace

@sirkibble2: I was just saying. Yeah it takes some work but it might not be as hard considering it's old tech and DC os did run on a form of windows simsilar to how Xbox runs on some windows. Plus, everyone is doing retro gaming. I feel like Sega loves retro and Ms loves emulation and bc so team up and do an innovative retro bc emu idea where one company allows the other to play their old console games through an emulator for first time.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7181 Posts

I did think that something like this might have happened when sega were meeting ms. Turned out it probably had something to do with shenmue hd collection. I would love a DC collection of some sort on the Xbox.

pcvirginrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pcvirginrace

@robert_sparkes: Sega can make some good money. So many unexperienced great titles

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 robert_sparkes

Absolutely I agree theres so many possibilities other than the usual mega drive collection every generation.

pcvirginrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pcvirginrace

@robert_sparkes: yes. I rather it be legit by Sega. Plus, nothing better than reliving it exactly like how it was meant to be played. Even better if we didn't have to pay for what we already owned

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1633 Posts

Pretty sure can't be done with discs. The DC used a propieritory disc format called 'GD ROM' - basically 'Gigabyte Disc'. GD discs were similar to CD-ROM, but the pits were closer together. Put simply, the Xbox One won't be able to read these discs.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By robert_sparkes

I always thought if they teamed up it would be something to do with gamepass. Maybe a DC collection added to gamepass.

pcvirginrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pcvirginrace

@Bond007uk: this was actually something I researched and found a few threads of people who lost their Dreamcast and tried to read their disc.

First off, it was stated by several users that the empty (black ring) area contained the Sega trademark and copyright text. It is checked for a reflectivity index and then dependant upon the results of those tests, it will either yield an authentication challenge pass or fail. This is high evidence to suggest that that this layer validates the game as good to play like a key. pass or fail authentication. This layer can be read by a basic cd llayer along with the low density layer. The layer that couldn't be read by a player would be the high desnity player which stored the Img, audio, bin, 3d obj, etc(actual game).

The xone wouldn't need to read info from the disc and play game data from disc. It needs to use the disc as a way to authenticate and then download the game from Xbox store to hdd and play it from hdd similar to how 360 and OGXB emulator works on xone

A few other reseaches have claimed to have been able to read GD ROMs through DVD/CD firmware update . They approached gd ROMs as basically just high density cd ROMs

Because GD ROMs are just CD ROMs with more space. Sega definitely has the programs to read their own product.