What happened to unlocking avatar clothing within games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts
When we first got the whole avatar thing.. they said along with achievements games would have (basically achievements) that unlocked avatar clothing.. I don't remember what it's called but it was in the system already, you could check it for games but it was always blank, and still I haven't seen one game that had that feature in there. Did I just miss it or what? I'll personally never buy any piece of clothing for my avatar but if he was carrying a lancer from gow because I got seriously that would be bad ass.
Oniresurrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 Oniresurrect
Member since 2003 • 968 Posts

Well avatar awards can be found on a few games Left 4 Dead 2 has a medic pack and a few T-shirts Explosion man has a few as well as ODST but I cant quire remember what ones. Not too many games so far tho and I cant seem to find a list that names more games.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

yeah a few games do have them now but not alot. You can expect more games to have them in the future though as the feature is relatively new and not retroactive. Developers need time to implement it into their newer games.

LittleEnid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LittleEnid
Member since 2009 • 552 Posts

L4D2, Splosion Man, and ODST are the only games I know do avatar awards.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I guess publishers figured that there was little reason to offer people avatar items for free when they can charge a few bucks for them. I don't know who's buying them, but like Sony's Home items, someone must be. And I hate them.
fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts
aww.. I missed it when I played ODST, never realized it had them. Yeah seriously tho people do need to stop paying for those damn things.. stupid little things we should get for free, I mean we are paying for the damn service. Personally I hate the whole avatar thing anyways, but i'd be a little more into it if i did have free cool stuff to give him.
Venomkringe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#8 Venomkringe
Member since 2008 • 168 Posts

if i recall correctly toy soldiers offers some as well. And not very many developers have been backing up avatar rewards, thus the lack of awards.

greyfox08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 greyfox08
Member since 2007 • 263 Posts

if i recall correctly toy soldiers offers some as well. And not very many developers have been backing up avatar rewards, thus the lack of awards.

Venomkringe
Yea Toy Soldiers has 2. A gas mask (getting the game), and a german spike-tip helmet (beating campaign as british). My avatar currently has the helmet, which I think looks awesome. Avatar items should be strictly unlockables for games, theyre too damn expensive.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

I don't buy avatar items, and I don't really try for achievements but when it comes to avatar awards I'm sort of a whore... I spent like an hour saving a damn gnome for a pink shirt. Which would of cost me like $1 at the store.

Oniresurrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 Oniresurrect
Member since 2003 • 968 Posts

I don't buy avatar items, and I don't really try for achievements but when it comes to avatar awards I'm sort of a whore... I spent like an hour saving a damn gnome for a pink shirt. Which would of cost me like $1 at the store.

jrhawk42

lol yeah when a buddy of mine got L4D2 he came by and we did that so my wife could get the shirt, me running with the gnome (her GT) took forever we died about 6 times but when he carried it we didn't, lol and he still says he keeps me alive all the time. XD

XxSTILL_BORNxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 XxSTILL_BORNxX
Member since 2007 • 5749 Posts

L4D2, Splosion Man, and ODST are the only games I know do avatar awards.

LittleEnid

Also the very recent, Toy Soldiers.

Sweet_Genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Sweet_Genocide
Member since 2009 • 777 Posts

There aren't many awards yet because most of the games coming out now have been in developement since before they started awards and the developers don't want to go back and add them before release. Arcade games are ahead of the big guys. A few games include a code to redeem an exclusive avatar item instead of adding them into the finished games. Rock Band Beatles has a shirt with the logo and Final Fantasy XIII has scicom armor from the game. The ODST awards arent included on the disc, you have to download Halo waypoint. You get a free recon droid for downloading and the rest if you have the correct achievement from ODST. We'll probably see more awards by winter.

Joer22784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Joer22784
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
There are other ones to not in actual games. I downloaded that Halo thing for free from games on demand ( not a game though) and it gave me a free avatar prop just for looking around in it. Some flying robot thing. I forget what its called but its some kind of hub for everything halo that you can download for free and it gives you more rewards i guess if you own halo games and do certain things.
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

Ya avatar awards=giving it away FREE

Microsoft doesn't like that word.

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
I guess publishers figured that there was little reason to offer people avatar items for free when they can charge a few bucks for them. I don't know who's buying them, but like Sony's Home items, someone must be. And I hate them.DJ_Lae
Agreed. Except I do like some of the avatar items like Gears of War Cog Armor, which I purchased. Most of it is just garbage to me, but I like that people can customize their avatar to their liking. Pulling up your friends list on XBL is cool because you never know what your friends will dress their avatar in next. My only gripe is of course, the price tag. Anything from $5 or more is just crazy for digital clothing. GOW cog armor is about the only thing I purchased, and I'll more than likely grab up the Dead Space outfit. It would have been nice if publishers actually came through and rewarded us with more avatar items for completing achievements.
archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

I hoped FFXIII would have some avatar award. I'd have liked a Fang outfit for my female. D:

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
Thats stupid :( i was wondering same.. Shame everything comes down to money more and more in the gaming genre now
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#19 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

Jagged3dge

^^This.

It seems like MS would much rather sell them to all the tools that would buy it.

little-kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 little-kitty
Member since 2008 • 2269 Posts

Jagged3dge
I sadly have to agree. I don't remeber the last time they gave something for free.