What Halo game has your favorite campaign? IGN speaks about their favorite

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RobbRipken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 RobbRipken
Member since 2003 • 263 Posts

Here is a link to IGN's article.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1123244p1.html

What's your order? Here's mine.

#5. Halo 3: ODST (very minor spoilers)

While I enjoyed this game very much, it just wasn't at the same level as the other games in the series IMO. It has great pacing, and for a 6 hour game, there's a lot of stuff in the campaign. It tells a fairly compelling story, but the characters fall a bit flat for me. It did manage to capture a couple of great moments. One of which being a showdown on a rooftop against a lot of banshees

#4. Halo 2

Halo 2 had much better pacing than Halo 1, however, it failed to deliver the great moments the first one had. Yougot to play asanother character (the Arbiter), who ultimately ends up being a great character.This game had a lot of additions, with the vehicle jacking, the dual wielding, along with a lot of new weapons. The storyline was a lot more involving than the original. Much likeplaying as the Arbiter, that may or may not be a good thing. It was still the must have game it needed to be though.

#3. Halo Reach

This game has without a doubt, the best gameplay in theseries.It also hasamazing pacing. It introduces space combat, armor abilities, among other things.The game tells a fairly straightforward story, but manages to keep your interest.For me, this game suffersfrom the same thing as ODST, I just couldn't particularly bring myself to care for the characters.

#2. Halo Combat Evolved

This game had, without a doubt, the greatest impact of any of the games in the series.It has the biggest moments in the series. Landing on the beach in the 4th level, "The Silent Cartographer" is alway epic! The game has some pacing issues though. I found that a lot of times Iwould only play the beginning of a level, only to quit after seeing the action segment I liked.

#1.Halo 3

I have the feeling that a lot of people would disagree strongly with me on this one. For me though, this game has the best campaign. There were a lot of levels I really enjoyed playing. The story was pretty deep and involving fora shooter. This game, though it recycles some music, I think it has the best soundtrack in the series. But most importantly, after spending so much time with them, I have actually brought myself to care about most of the characters at this point. This game also manages to get in some terrific action segments (not as good as Halo 1 though). There's a few really epic cutscenes in this game too (end of the 5th level, beginning of the 6th).

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

#5: Halo 2

#4: Halo 3

#3: Halo 3: ODST

#2: Halo Reach

#1: Halo

The first is still the best in my opinion. I still really like going back and playing it.

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

I pretty much agree with you, though I think I like Reach a bit better than 3. Also, are we rating them based on how fun and big of an impact they left when they came out, or how fun they are now?

XXGamerfanXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 XXGamerfanXX
Member since 2009 • 1066 Posts
I love all of them to be honest. However, Halo 2 will forever, and ever, be my favorite campaign in the series. Everything about it was Epic IMO.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

1. Halo Reach
2. Halo
3. Halo 3
4. Halo ODST
5. Halo 2

I really enjoyed Reach's campaign and liked the new additions to it. The only reason I'd rank the SP over Halo's is that I didn't enjoy the Flood levels all too much. 3's campaign I thought was miles better than the second one, and both 3 and ODST rank better because there were few levels in the second that I enjoyed replaying.

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts
Halo:CE is #1 in my book. Never looked at that statement as opinion, I've literally NEVER known anyone to disagree. (IRL mind you) IGN disagrees? Glad I don't value their opinion... An honorable mention should go to ODST for great character development and story, even with it's lack luster campaign and ugly ugly graphics. H2 & 3 campaign's I just didn't care for, plus I didn't like the stories direction. Humanizing Elites. *spits* Dirty Covies!!! Reach got that right, butt it's campaign suffers from technical issues, a cliched story (which I sort of liked), and bland level design. (which I didn't like)
Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
My order: 5) Halo 2 4) Halo ODST 3) Halo 3 2) Halo CE 1) Halo Reach
kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts

1. Halo Reach

2. Halo CE

3. Halo 3

4. Halo 2

5. Halo ODST

madg23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 madg23
Member since 2009 • 435 Posts

5: halo ODST (not too much with the HALO storyline)

4: halo 2 (pretty fun, played it a few times on the XBOX, but gotta get it for PC, oh yea the ending was pretty epicness!!!)

3: halo 3 (the campaign didnt do much for me)

2: halo reach (campaign had lots of detail and detail to the story and characters, but there can only be one!)

1: halo CE (the best of the best, i have played this campaign probobably 20 times both on xbox and PC, PC multiplayer is fun but if i never played CE, i wouldnt have even known about the halo franchise)

im going to buy halo 2 and PC again then play REACH, CE, 2, 3 all in order so i can get the story all wrapped up.

o0Pwnzorz0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 o0Pwnzorz0o
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

5: Halo 2
4: Halo 3: ODST
3: Halo Reach
2: Halo 3
1: Halo CE

Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

1.halo 2

2.halo ce

3.halo reach

4.halo 3 odst

5.halo 3

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

1. Halo Reach
2. Halo
3. Halo 3
4. Halo ODST
5. Halo 2

I really enjoyed Reach's campaign and liked the new additions to it. The only reason I'd rank the SP over Halo's is that I didn't enjoy the Flood levels all too much. 3's campaign I thought was miles better than the second one, and both 3 and ODST rank better because there were few levels in the second that I enjoyed replaying.

Legendaryscmt

I second this.

Wiffle_Snuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Wiffle_Snuff
Member since 2010 • 1123 Posts
I liked the feeling of ODST, but the setting to Reach was good. But it just fell short of creating the same tense atmosphere ODST did.
andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

I thought ODST had the best Campaign by far, it was more personal than the rest of the games, bar Reach, I also liked the voice acting in ODST better than the other halo games, they made the characters Likeable.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

Halo:CE owns all. It had more memorable moments. The beach battle, introduction to the flood, flying banshee first time, night time sniping, wild ending.

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SpArKs424
Member since 2010 • 2203 Posts

Halo:CE owns all. It had more memorable moments. The beach battle, introduction to the flood, flying banshee first time, night time sniping, wild ending.

BLAS1AN

Im sorry to disagree it was awesome but not best atleast IMO dont hate me . lol

my picks would be :

Halo Reach

Halo 3

Halo CE

ODST

Halo 2

I picked Halo 3 because well you finish the fight , awesome battles , You end the flood and take down Regret . Good ending that copied Halo CE in a good way . Idk i just Enjoyed halo 3 the best out of the original trilogy .

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
1. Halo 2. Halo 3 3. Halo Reach 4. Halo 2 5. Halo ODST
damaster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 damaster101
Member since 2005 • 1476 Posts

1.Halo CE is easily the best campaign of the lot.I have played through it that many times over the years and its actually still an intense game.I like it more then the others because your thrown into the unknown and your just fighting some crazy alien force.The elites are just menacing i loved how they spoke there own language.

2.Reach.Intense gameplay, excellent music, story is straightforward.Hunters are so badass.

3.Halo 2 was alright but i hated how the game drifted with the arbiter and this indepth story about the aliens.I remember the first halo being very intense and sucking you in while halo 2 just felt arcadey and didn't put me on the edge i was very dissapointed.

4.Halo 3 i didn't enjoy.There was 1 great level but other then that I hated the campaign i never knew what the hell was going on storywise, it was all jargon to me.

(I never played ODST)

With all the campaigns though there was always a crap moment for example Halo CE on The Library...man i hate the flood.Maybe i'm biased and just wanted to fight ruthless phychotic aliens instead of big dumb apes...we already got those.

gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts

1. Halo Reach

2. Halo 2

3. Halo 3

4. Halo 3 ODST

I never played Halo CE.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#20 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
# 5. Halo 3 #4. Halo 3 with proper partners, co-op #3. Halo 2 #2. Halo 2 with proper partners, co-op #1. Halo CE The first one's campaign had about all the highest qualities out of the Halo games I chose to play all the way through. It was long enough to cover the proverbial bases. You truly felt alone out there, and at the same time, even when there were allies on the field, you truly felt like you were the only one that was entirely equipped to be able to handle what was going on. It made you feel bad when you couldn't save one of your friendlies in battle... at least until reinforcements came in after certain points. And the difficulty settings were much more balanced in CE's campaign than they were in any other game. Though I appreciated the dual-wielding enhancement from Halo 2, I almost feel that only one at a time in the first game really forced you to think carefully about how you used your weapons. Even though it might have been overpowered, the handgun from Halo was still much more useful than it was at any other game I played in the series. The second game's campaign was... decent. Mechanics were improved sure, but it felt more like Kotor2 to the first game's kotor. it didn't feel "as complete." And the cliffhanger ending was a downer. Halo 3 just bastardized everything that was good about the prior games' campaigns. Even though there were a lot of people around, they were far useless compared to the scattering of troops in even the first game. And the bump in difficulty even between easy and normal was sharper than normal to heroic in #2. The skulls collecting and especially the meta-game stuff they tried to add only served to magnify frustration more than fun in the campagin, and pretty much burned me out on the franchise faster than bathing in hydrochloric acid (for those of you that don't know, that's the same kind of acid your stomach uses to digest food).
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

[QUOTE="BLAS1AN"]

SpArKs424

Im sorry to disagree it was awesome but not best atleast IMO dont hate me . lol

my picks would be :

Halo Reach

Halo 3

Halo CE

ODST

Halo 2

I picked Halo 3 because well you finish the fight , awesome battles , You end the flood and take down Regret . Good ending that copied Halo CE in a good way . Idk i just Enjoyed halo 3 the best out of the original trilogy .

my rating was based off memorable moments. Halo 3 ending was a straight rip off of CE. I felt cheated. Halo 3 is my 2nd fave campaign though. would be first if it werent for the ending.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#22 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
1: Halo 2: Halo 3 3: Halo 2 4: Halo Reach 5: Halo ODST
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Not many would agree with 3 being number 1.

gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts
1.) Halo: Reach 2.) Halo: Combat Evolved 3.) Halo 3 4.) Halo 2 5.) Halo: ODST
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

I did not like their list. I would rate it

1- Halo

2- Halo 3

3. Halo 2 or Reach

4. Halo Reach or 2

5. ODST

I didn't like ODST, I don't see how it deserved a rank higher than any of the main games.

Raiden004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 Raiden004
Member since 2009 • 1605 Posts

#5 Halo 3 ODST (its cool to see the war in the perspective of a normal soldier, it introduced Firefight.)

#4 Halo 2 (The new features it had like duel wielding, energy sword, hi-jack and extremely intense gun fights, awesome multiplayer.)

#3 Halo 3 (A game everyone was hyped for. First next gen Halo, Great multiplayer, and finishes the story nicely.)

#2 Halo Combat Evolved (The game that started it all, introduced many new ways for FPS's. Good gameplay and for PC it had amazing multiplayer.)

#1 Halo Reach (The final game in an amazing series, it takes 1 step forward and 2 steps back in multiplayer, even more intense gun fights, best graphics for a halo game.)

emperorzhang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 emperorzhang66
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts
Halo 2 > Halo CE = Reach = Halo 3 > ODST
Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts
1. Halo Reach 2. Halo 3. Halo 2 4. Halo 3 5. ODST
RANDOMDUDE22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 167

#29 RANDOMDUDE22
Member since 2010 • 93 Posts

1.Halo reach

2.Halo wars

3.Halo 3

4.Halo odst

Avatar image for ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
Member since 2007 • 1987 Posts

Halo 3 was my favorite of the campaigns follwed by halo 1, then halo reach, halo 2, then ODST.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Reach is my fave. They went back to their Halo 1 roots by re-adopting the idea that less is more. Halo 2 and 3's pacing got a bit crazy and felt, at times, overproduced.

I think Reach also has a better ensemble set of characters.

xxxCr00k3dxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xxxCr00k3dxxx
Member since 2009 • 1006 Posts

[QUOTE="Legendaryscmt"]

1. Halo Reach
2. Halo
3. Halo 3
4. Halo ODST
5. Halo 2

Elann2008

I second this.

I completely agree with this also.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
I don't like their list much at all. Combat Evolved > Reach > 3 = ODST > 2
Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

1. Halo: Combat Evolved
2. Halo: Reach
3. Halo 3: ODST
4. Halo 3
5. Halo 2

I often wonder if Xbox would have been a success without Halo.

Avatar image for DamianAlexander
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DamianAlexander
Member since 2008 • 3762 Posts

5. Halo 2 - I hated the campaign to no end. I hated being a covenant, fighting other covenant, and being in a group full of covenant, and not knowing who was who. I hated killing my poor AI as I struggled with who was who.

4. Halo ODST - The campaign took me about four hours on Legendary, four player Co-op. I never really felt vincible since they just replaced Shields with Stamina. The story was kind of boring and I wished it was more of a stealth game with no Stamina.

3. Halo: Reach - The campaign kind of flew by. The characters were dry and didn't really spark an interest. Most of the levels felt like a "I've been here, done this before" kind of thing. The two flying missions did spice things up a bit but not enough for me to give the game more credit.

2. Halo 3 - This installment had one thing that made it great in my eyes, four player Co-op and while I have played every single Halo in co-op nothing compared to how much fun I had playing through the story with four of my closest friends at the time.

1. Halo: Combat Evolved - My friend picked this up and we beat it on Co-op, on every single difficulty. There's something to be said about beating a campaign three times in a row and never getting bored of it. At the time I believed in religion and we would gather at our church, system link 16 Xbox's together with a bunch of TV's and play again for hours and hours at a time. It was my first taste at multiplayer gaming other than just playing with one other friend on Golden Eye.

max-Emadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 max-Emadness
Member since 2009 • 1781 Posts

5. Halo 3 Odst

4. Halo 3

3. Halo 2

2. halo Reach

1. Halo CE

demonic_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 demonic_85
Member since 2009 • 1395 Posts

I dont get why everyone loved Halo 3's campaign so much, I thought it was easily the worst in the series. The first game is still my favorite and Reach is pretty good too. Reach's major flaw is the main character is kinda lame... I mean come on he didnt even have a name!

1. Halo CE

2. Halo Reach

3. Halo 2

4. Halo ODST

5. Halo 3

HaDoKeN_NaTe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HaDoKeN_NaTe
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts

To me it's

Halo CE

Halo: Reach

Halo 3

Halo ODST

and Halo 2

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

1. Halo Reach

2. Halo 2

3. Halo

4. Halo 3

I never got around to playing Halo wars or ODST, but I dont really want to anyways.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

1. Halo

2. Halo 2

3. Halo 3

4. Halo Reach

5. Halo ODST

Funny how my order is almost the exact same as the release date order.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

By the way, IGN's list sucked, as usual. They are just overrating Reach's campaign because of all the hype it has surrounding it. How Halo 2 can be the last one on their list is beyond me...

Gonnzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gonnzzo
Member since 2010 • 124 Posts

5. Halo: ODST

4. Halo 2

3. Halo: CE

2. Halo 3

1. Halo: Reach

pretty much the same tbh

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SpArKs424

By the way, IGN's list sucked, as usual. They are just overrating Reach's campaign because of all the hype it has surrounding it. How Halo 2 can be the last one on their list is beyond me...

SilentSoprano

i agree with them actually for the first time i agree their list do suck but this is pretty much how i rated mine .

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

SilentSoprano

Halo 2 would've been higher on the list if they hadn't jumped the shark with the grave mind. Story-wise, it has its place, so I'm going to say it was a problem with the storytelling that made the grave mind kinda ridiculous.

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SpArKs424

[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

VoodooHak

Halo 2 would've been higher on the list if they hadn't jumped the shark with the grave mind. Story-wise, it has its place, so I'm going to say it was a problem with the storytelling that made the grave mind kinda ridiculous.

Yeah seriously that ending i didnt mind at the time but looking back i feel cheated . none of the games are horrible either i love every single halo Just enjoy others over some . cant wait one day im gonna marathon halo from reach to halo 3 .

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
I loved all the campaigns. They all had their own high and low points. I'm not going to rank them but I'd like to say this about the Halo 2 campaign: I think that the Halo 2 campaign sometimes gets a bad rep because there are people who still feel spurned by the unexpected cliffhanger ending all these years later. I remember when I first beat it, wondering if I had missed another level because I didn't beat it on Legendary the first time through. But time has passed and we have all "Finished the Fight" and I can look back on Halo 2's campaign more favorably. Yes even the Arbiter levels. I have come to respect that character and his place in Halo lore. There were a lot of major plot points introduced in this campaign. We are introduced to the Prophets and their religious "Great Journey." We see the betrayal of the Elites by the Covenant and the transfer of power to the Brutes. Johnson becomes a true character in that he's not some nameless commander with a few funny lines. Of course we meet the Arbiter and one of my favorite and often underrated characters, the Elite Shipmaster, Rtas 'Vadum. We see more of him in Halo 3, but I just think he's a bad ass character.  Also, this shot from the opening cinematic of the ODST campaign, gave me even more new-found respect for Halo 2's story. We're seeing In Amber Clad with MC aboard, leaving for Delta Halo. It was a reminder of the epic events going on elsewhere while the ODST's are left dealing with the Covenant Invasion at New Mombasa. It made me want to go back and play Halo 2.
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

SpArKs424

Yeah seriously that ending i didnt mind at the time but looking back i feel cheated . none of the games are horrible either i love every single halo Just enjoy others over some . cant wait one day im gonna marathon halo from reach to halo 3 .

In the month leading up to the release of Reach, I went back to the beginning. I played through in order, Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo ODST. I timed it just right and finished ODST's campaign a few days before Reach's release. I've just finished Reach on Solo Legendary. So, yeah, all of Halo's story is very fresh in my mind.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#48 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

meh, none of them have been above average for me...i honestly find them very boring and only continue to support based on multiplayer. with that said, i enjoyed them in this order:

Halo 2

Halo 3

Halo Reach

Halo CE

again, none were exceptional or memorable

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SpArKs424

meh, none of them have been above average for me...i honestly find them very boring and only continue to support based on multiplayer. with that said, i enjoyed them in this order:

Halo 2

Halo 3

Halo Reach

Halo CE

again, none were exceptional or memorable

chex81

Your obviousy expecting something your not gonna get . Better to just Embrace what we have for now the campaigns are awesome you just have to dig Deep in and pay attention to the story bet if i gave you a quiz on the storys you would fail.

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SpArKs424

I loved all the campaigns. They all had their own high and low points. I'm not going to rank them but I'd like to say this about the Halo 2 campaign: I think that the Halo 2 campaign sometimes gets a bad rep because there are people who still feel spurned by the unexpected cliffhanger ending all these years later. I remember when I first beat it, wondering if I had missed another level because I didn't beat it on Legendary the first time through. But time has passed and we have all "Finished the Fight" and I can look back on Halo 2's campaign more favorably. Yes even the Arbiter levels. I have come to respect that character and his place in Halo lore. There were a lot of major plot points introduced in this campaign. We are introduced to the Prophets and their religious "Great Journey." We see the betrayal of the Elites by the Covenant and the transfer of power to the Brutes. Johnson becomes a true character in that he's not some nameless commander with a few funny lines. Of course we meet the Arbiter and one of my favorite and often underrated characters, the Elite Shipmaster, Rtas 'Vadum. We see more of him in Halo 3, but I just think he's a bad ass character.  Also, this shot from the opening cinematic of the ODST campaign, gave me even more new-found respect for Halo 2's story. We're seeing In Amber Clad with MC aboard, leaving for Delta Halo. It was a reminder of the epic events going on elsewhere while the ODST's are left dealing with the Covenant Invasion at New Mombasa. It made me want to go back and play Halo 2.  DJ_Magneto
And i totally missed that in ODST good eye ...