What do you think about Games for Gold?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demian742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 demian742
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
What do you think about it?
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
It's a nice bonus for people who were already paying the $5 a month to play online. It's also been nice as all the games offered so far, I haven't already owned, and I look forward to Dead Rising 2 next week.
CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#3 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts
Its alright. We were getting nothing before so its a nice bonus i guess. Already have a huge pile of games to go through too so I won't be able to play these free games for a while.
FastEddie2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FastEddie2121
Member since 2009 • 3081 Posts
It's okay. Most of the games are old so I either already have them and if I wanted one, I could get it for a few bucks on amazon.com. I'm actually enjoying Defense Grid a lot even if it is just an tower defense game, and an arcade game at that. It does feel a bit stingy though especially when the dlc for the free games is at full price.
equanox214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 equanox214
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts

I feel like its a really shoddy attempt to mimick the psn model. I was so excited when i heard this was coming but whats the first game i get? defense grid? followed by old ass assassins creed 2 which i beat when it released, dead rising is the decent one so far but even that is years old. Even my wife complained she got  her ps3 (mine broke in a move) she immidiatly got sleeping dogs, xcom, uncharted 3 and little big planet kart.

Now im not trying to troll dont get me wrong, i guess its nice to get free perks but camon microsoft you have to actually try to entice your customers! I would be going ape shit if they were giving away previous arcade games of summer.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
It would be nice for newer games, not ones that are years old.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#7 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

It's good that they are trying to give us something like PSN+ does but all we have gotten so far is games you can get for about $3-$5 and in one case we got an XBLA game that was just being given away for free on the PC a few months before. It's also a shame that we have only gotten the more popular games that most of us have probably already played and/or games that we have long moved on to their sequels.

robbie80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 robbie80
Member since 2005 • 988 Posts

It's good that they are trying to give us something like PSN+ does but all we have gotten so far is games you can get for about $3-$5 and in one case we got an XBLA game that was just being given away for free on the PC a few months before. It's also a shame that we have only gotten the more popular games that most of us have probably already played and/or games that we have long moved on to their sequels.

Legolas_Katarn

it end in december dont think xbox one be doing it

EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EmpCom
Member since 2005 • 3451 Posts
Something or nothing
marinevetstl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 marinevetstl
Member since 2012 • 175 Posts
They may be old, but they are free. I downloaded them just because. But the freebies I get with PSN+ just smash anything like MS is doing. but they are free all the same.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I feel like its a really shoddy attempt to mimick the psn model. I was so excited when i heard this was coming but whats the first game i get? defense grid? followed by old ass assassins creed 2 which i beat when it released, dead rising is the decent one so far but even that is years old. Even my wife complained she got  her ps3 (mine broke in a move) she immidiatly got sleeping dogs, xcom, uncharted 3 and little big planet kart.

Now im not trying to troll dont get me wrong, i guess its nice to get free perks but camon microsoft you have to actually try to entice your customers! I would be going ape shit if they were giving away previous arcade games of summer.

equanox214

Either you or your wife doesn't understand the difference between renting and buying something

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

I love it. it makes me feel like LIVE is less of a rip off. I downloaded defense grid and fable 3. 

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

[QUOTE="equanox214"]

Jaysonguy

Either you or your wife doesn't understand the difference between renting and buying something

i see you make alot of topics on this this specific matter, literally the third time iv seen you bring it up in these forums.why does it upset you so much? Its the same thing with games on demand i stop paying live i lose the game, only thing is il constantly have psn becuase its a fantastic service. on top of which i get great discounts like rayman origins for 5 dollars this week, Do you just wait around for a psn mention and fire away at your keyboard?
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="equanox214"]

Djmaster214

i see you make alot of topics on this this specific matter, literally the third time iv seen you bring it up in these forums.why does it upset you so much? Its the same thing with games on demand i stop paying live i lose the game, only thing is il constantly have psn becuase its a fantastic service. on top of which i get great discounts like rayman origins for 5 dollars this week, Do you just wait around for a psn mention and fire away at your keyboard?

Just so it is clear, PSN+ is the service that has to be continued in order to keep playing games offered for free - they're tied somehow to being a + member - so, if you're not a + member any more, you cannot play them any more. Games With Gold allows you to 'purchase' a game - just like purchasing any other game - it gets tied to your Live ID where the main difference is once it is tied to your Live ID, they don't remove your access to play the game or download it again if you drop Live. At least that's what I'm understanding from the posts I've seen in the past. Quit Live - games with gold still tied to ID, and still playable / re-downloadable. Quit PSN+, and no more "+" game access.
Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts
[QUOTE="Djmaster214"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Stinger78

Just so it is clear, PSN+ is the service that has to be continued in order to keep playing games offered for free - they're tied somehow to being a + member - so, if you're not a + member any more, you cannot play them any more. Games With Gold allows you to 'purchase' a game - just like purchasing any other game - it gets tied to your Live ID where the main difference is once it is tied to your Live ID, they don't remove your access to play the game or download it again if you drop Live. At least that's what I'm understanding from the posts I've seen in the past. Quit Live - games with gold still tied to ID, and still playable / re-downloadable. Quit PSN+, and no more "+" game access.

Thats weird if thats the case becuase the minute i lose connection to xbl all my purchased games stop working. Assuming it is the case i would rather rent 20-30 great games for as long as i have psplus (which is not going to run out any time soon) than to pay for xbl and get a handful of old games from here till december.
Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
I think it's a rather limp, pathetic gesture from Microsoft. I suppose it's a nice bonus - in a better-than-nothing fashion - for people who are paying for Gold anyway, who already consider Gold a fair deal and a decent value. But as someone who doesn't really care about online multiplayer, or using my 360 to browse the internet, or streaming movies and music, or any of the other apps that are locked behind Gold, the selection of free games (along with the "Exclusive to Gold" sales) isn't an incentive to sign up and start paying. If Microsoft were to get serious and start matching Sony's PSN+ model, with multiple free games per month (many of them less than a year old) and actual sales where older games are marked down to $5 or less and newer releases are actually cheaper than physical copies, then I'd seriously consider dropping my PSN+ account and switching to Gold. But, for the time being, there's simply no value to a Gold account for me, while this last year of PSN+ has easily paid for itself three times over between the free games and the savings from extra discounts on various sales.
demian742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 demian742
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I feel like its a really shoddy attempt to mimick the psn model. I was so excited when i heard this was coming but whats the first game i get? defense grid? followed by old ass assassins creed 2 which i beat when it released, dead rising is the decent one so far but even that is years old.

equanox214
Maybe,but what about new gamers that didn't have the change to play the games and never found them?That would be a nice bonus for them.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I love it. Free games on consoles are always a good thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

Its alright. We were getting nothing before so its a nice bonus i guess. Already have a huge pile of games to go through too so I won't be able to play these free games for a while.CRUSHER88

Same here, although yesterday I tried crackdown (I always wanted to play it) and today I finished the story, it was really fun.

Now give me crackdown 2!

vpacalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 vpacalypse
Member since 2005 • 589 Posts

Doesn't match the competition.

Don't like the trivial fact of 'you get to keep the game instead of just rent it'.

It's a nerd's argument... normal people will pay back to back years equaling many years...turning it in to a 5-10 year rental, especially since online play will be a mandatory fee next gen.

Only hardcore gamers would be fussed.

So somewhat still behind the times but catching up...

On another note, I'm liking all these X1 180's...Xbox as a brand in general is catching up fast after a few slow years.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="equanox214"]

Djmaster214

You don't understand either

When you rent a game on that other service you're renting it, worse yet you're paying for a rental service that doesn't allow you to pick any of your rentals, I guess that's good for someone who lacks initiative.

Games for Gold allows users to own the games. No matter if they keep the service or not they own the game.

Also Live has been doing sales for ages, that's nothing new.

WeskerTeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 WeskerTeam
Member since 2010 • 1827 Posts

[QUOTE="Stinger78"][QUOTE="Djmaster214"] i see you make alot of topics on this this specific matter, literally the third time iv seen you bring it up in these forums.why does it upset you so much? Its the same thing with games on demand i stop paying live i lose the game, only thing is il constantly have psn becuase its a fantastic service. on top of which i get great discounts like rayman origins for 5 dollars this week, Do you just wait around for a psn mention and fire away at your keyboard?Djmaster214

Thats weird if thats the case becuase the minute i lose connection to xbl all my purchased games stop working. Assuming it is the case i would rather rent 20-30 great games for as long as i have psplus (which is not going to run out any time soon) than to pay for xbl and get a handful of old games from here till december.

You need to do a licsense transfer in order to play all your dlc offline.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#25 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Well, for me it's a great deal because I haven't owned any of those games besides Halo 3. But I do understand why some of my Xbox peers are pissed, because if you've already owned those tittles, its really pointless.

CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#26 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
Free = good. As a competitive move, it's too little too late, IMO.