What do you need to play movies on the x360?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 specialed
Member since 2003 • 3669 Posts

I am prob going to get the arcade version(long story, but thats the best choice for me at the moment).

If I want to play movies on it, what would I need?

Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts
Just a dvd, you can get the remote but it's not worth it imo.
havenshadow07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 havenshadow07
Member since 2008 • 83 Posts
First I would suggest looking at the components for the arcade as I cannot remember what everything is inside it. But I have the xbox 360 version that is in the middle of all of it which might be the arcade...*ponders. Anyway the elite and the arcade I believe have a dvd drive in them and will play movies just pop them in. If however you get the core system you may need upgrade the drive but I doubt it. Just get the system and pop a movie in. If it does not play then come back with more questions. Much luck;)
specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 specialed

Yeah, I am prob going to bestbuy today, so thats why I ask now just to pass some time here at work.

But I def will look into it when I get there, and get some component cables soon as well.

Does anyone know what res. the movies play in on your tv when playing them from the x360?

I have a 720p lcd tv, btw.

havenshadow07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 havenshadow07
Member since 2008 • 83 Posts
I don't think this is fact just what I've heard. The movies that were originally created in a lower resolution will look a little better when you play them in HD. So it is going to look a bit like 1080 I think. But if anyone actually knows please do correct me.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
my hd tv comes up with the resolutions whenever it changes modes and when i put a DVD in my xbox it comes up and says its running at 576P ive also got a upscalling dvd player running on hdmi and some films do look a little better in 720p if they newer titles but its not as good as HD really, unless the film has amazing special effects when ive watched HD films then it dont really add that much being hd. if you download films off the net from now on look for the few gig MP4. once you download you can fit them on a normal dvd as a data file and you xbox will play them, and guess what they are basically HD-VIDEO FILES but compressed like xvid/divx etc so u can fit a huge blue ray film over 4 gbs and watch them on ur xbox. if you have a HD TV then you dont really want to be buying an arcade, they dont come with any of the leads for a start that you need to run your xbox in hd. here are a few other things missing which in the long run you will probally end up buying. headset - if you dont use one at the moment then most people think they are silly, but if you play any games online your going to regret not having one as they are good when u start to talk to ur friends online who are playing with them. if you dont have one then everyones voices will play out of your speakers for the games and it sounds bad. hard drive - the memory card you get with the arcade wont allow you to download anything or much from xbox live marketplace. for your games they is a load of free content and demos you can get off the net, and you can even rent HD FILMS off the internet for it as well. controller is wireless instead of wired. if you are coming from older systems i was the same thinking the wired ones done me well before. but the wireless pads are great and you soon get used to not having the wire get on your nerves. no hd-tv lead- so when u get ur arcade your going to have to go out and buy yourself a new lead, this will be most of the difference of price between this and a 20GB PRO/PREIUM. all the extras come with all the other models of xbox, get one with a hard drive - you will only end up getting one in the long run. 95% of people i know who got the arcades/cores eneded up getting the hard drives. and all the extras cost loads more than the acutal difference of price between a arcade and a 20gb hd xbox. you get mugged if u buy stuff like the hard drives seperate by paying over the odds, but if u get a 20gb model you will already have one instead of having to pay over the odds for a hd because the system really needs it. trust me if u cheap out now, i bet you will get end up paying over the odds to get all the extras you missed out on by not buying a 20gb model, for a start your going to have to buy extra leads etc to get hd to work on it as the arcade only comes with a scart style av lead
Dion2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dion2k7
Member since 2007 • 1353 Posts

I don't think this is fact just what I've heard. The movies that were originally created in a lower resolution will look a little better when you play them in HD. So it is going to look a bit like 1080 I think. But if anyone actually knows please do correct me.havenshadow07

yh 1080i with hdmi cables

specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 specialed

my hd tv comes up with the resolutions whenever it changes modes and when i put a DVD in my xbox it comes up and says its running at 576P ive also got a upscalling dvd player running on hdmi and some films do look a little better in 720p if they newer titles but its not as good as HD really, unless the film has amazing special effects when ive watched HD films then it dont really add that much being hd. if you download films off the net from now on look for the few gig MP4. once you download you can fit them on a normal dvd as a data file and you xbox will play them, and guess what they are basically HD-VIDEO FILES but compressed like xvid/divx etc so u can fit a huge blue ray film over 4 gbs and watch them on ur xbox. if you have a HD TV then you dont really want to be buying an arcade, they dont come with any of the leads for a start that you need to run your xbox in hd. here are a few other things missing which in the long run you will probally end up buying. headset - if you dont use one at the moment then most people think they are silly, but if you play any games online your going to regret not having one as they are good when u start to talk to ur friends online who are playing with them. if you dont have one then everyones voices will play out of your speakers for the games and it sounds bad. hard drive - the memory card you get with the arcade wont allow you to download anything or much from xbox live marketplace. for your games they is a load of free content and demos you can get off the net, and you can even rent HD FILMS off the internet for it as well. controller is wireless instead of wired. if you are coming from older systems i was the same thinking the wired ones done me well before. but the wireless pads are great and you soon get used to not having the wire get on your nerves. no hd-tv lead- so when u get ur arcade your going to have to go out and buy yourself a new lead, this will be most of the difference of price between this and a 20GB PRO/PREIUM. all the extras come with all the other models of xbox, get one with a hard drive - you will only end up getting one in the long run. 95% of people i know who got the arcades/cores eneded up getting the hard drives. and all the extras cost loads more than the acutal difference of price between a arcade and a 20gb hd xbox. you get mugged if u buy stuff like the hard drives seperate by paying over the odds, but if u get a 20gb model you will already have one instead of having to pay over the odds for a hd because the system really needs it. trust me if u cheap out now, i bet you will get end up paying over the odds to get all the extras you missed out on by not buying a 20gb model, for a start your going to have to buy extra leads etc to get hd to work on it as the arcade only comes with a scart style av leaddjrobst

Even though I prob will not use much of the internet part, or downld games, I will ask my wife if its possible to get the 20gb one at bestbuy for 259.99...:) I told her that the difference in the two if I buy the component later and poss the harddrive will be almost a 50 dolla difference, atleast...So I will see what she says, if she doesnt bite my headoff...

djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
in uk its twice as much hard drive works out about 50pounds rrp. which is nearly $90-100 its defeinetally worth it. and the net side of things might not seem like ur cup of tea but once u get a real slice of it with the one month free u get its probs enough to warm u up to the idea of using it that way as well
specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 specialed

But then I would have to buy a wireless router connector for my 360, right?

I know with my wii, it already has wifi capability, you just have to have a wireless router in the house.

or does the 360 have built in wifi?

morrison0880

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 morrison0880
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Hey Specialed. You can watch movies on your xbox through the usb port. Simply copy the movie onto a flash drive and plug it into the xbox. The movie will be in the Portable Device tab of the movies screen. Unfortunately, you cannot save movies onto your xbox HD (unless you DL them through Microsoft), so since I don't like streaming media from my computer, I use my external HD, copy movies onto it, and connect it to my xbox via the usb port. It's like having my entire movie collection on the console. Hope this helps.
CATERBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CATERBIRD
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts
nothing at all my friend, it simply plays dvds already, its an entertainment system, no blu ray but it can still deliver some punchy auidio on even the smallest tv's. like mine for exmp, 19 inch tv and my 360 pumps into it like a 37-42 inch.
TheRevanent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 TheRevanent
Member since 2006 • 201 Posts
Just throw your DVD in the 360 and it should play just fine.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
I'm not sure if anybody mentioned this yet (I've had this page up for like....an hour), but if you are interested in playing Blu-Ray discs on your 360 someday, Microsoft is planning on releasing an external Blu-Ray Disc Player for the 360 sometime down the road. This is great news, since now if you want to use your 360 to watch movies in the highest quality, you're all set - no need to buy a seperate Blu-Ray Player.
Avatar image for StromileSwiftee
StromileSwiftee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 StromileSwiftee
Member since 2003 • 385 Posts

But then I would have to buy a wireless router connector for my 360, right?

I know with my wii, it already has wifi capability, you just have to have a wireless router in the house.

or does the 360 have built in wifi?

specialed

Nah, 360 doesnt come wifi... you'll either have to pick up the wireless adapter ($99) or use an ethernet cable to hook it up to modem/router

Cool thing about the wireless adapter, I have my 360 networked with my laptop and play movies off my laptop on 360, only thing is certain video formats can only be played on the 360 if its connected with XBL