What did people do with there 360 HD-DVD add ons?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

larocabottom1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 larocabottom1
Member since 2003 • 190 Posts
I still have mines but I'm thinking about selling it, I was just wondering what u guys did with urs, also how do u get movies to display in 1080p, all my games and everything else on my 360 displays in 1080p except for the hd-dvds, it goes to 1080i.
ps3killer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ps3killer89
Member since 2008 • 272 Posts
well i dont own one but i thought about geting one and just get a hole bunch of the movies cheap i found a player new for 39.99 on newegg and its not a bad deal and their are sum good movies on it and it will do till i get a ps3 for blu-ray
Scarface_tm431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Scarface_tm431
Member since 2004 • 10063 Posts
I sold mine 2 weeks before it 'died'
HeatMoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HeatMoe
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
may be sold it
Cactus_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Cactus_Matt
Member since 2008 • 8604 Posts

I still have mines but I'm thinking about selling it, I was just wondering what u guys did with urs, also how do u get movies to display in 1080p, all my games and everything else on my 360 displays in 1080p except for the hd-dvds, it goes to 1080i.larocabottom1

Paperweight

War_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 War_Martyr
Member since 2007 • 598 Posts
In the closet next to my VCR and cassette player. My graveyard for outdated technology.
Yorkin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Yorkin_360
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts

"Nice to meet you HD DVD and welcome to The Land of Lost Toys."

Que the music.

And I don't want the world to save me,

'Cause I don't think that they'd understand,

When everything's made to be broken,

I just want you to know who I am.

*fade to black*

Good bye HD DVD... good bye

dth_dlr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dth_dlr
Member since 2006 • 7517 Posts
thankfully i didn't buy one,i guess most people who owned one sold it
jlm13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jlm13
Member since 2002 • 762 Posts

In the closet next to my VCR and cassette player. My graveyard for outdated technology. War_Martyr
I hate when people say this. HD DVD looks the same as Blu Ray so I guess Blu Ray is outdated too.

Anyways I watch mine because there is nothing wrong with perfectly good HD movies. People that have Blu Ray will finally get to see how good Transformers looks in HD in a few days.

boyinfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 boyinfridge
Member since 2006 • 1796 Posts

[QUOTE="War_Martyr"]In the closet next to my VCR and cassette player. My graveyard for outdated technology. jlm13

I hate when people say this. HD DVD looks the same as Blu Ray so I guess Blu Ray is outdated too.

Anyways I watch mine because there is nothing wrong with perfectly good HD movies. People that have Blu Ray will finally get to see how good Transformers looks in HD in a few days.

thankyou mate I dont know whats wrong with these people I got one when I knew it was dead because I love transformers in HD and there are hundreds of movies you can still buy for as little as 2.99 but the Blu-ray equivalent will be 19.99 or more and I dont care what anyone says the HD-DVD feature are better integrated and for that superior to blu-ray although blu-ray is starting to catch-up now Rambo on Blu-ray was great

Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts
Still have mine and use it occasionally.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#12 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
I'm keeping mine. I don't see why not, since the movies I have on it are great.
-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -DrRobotnik-
Member since 2008 • 5463 Posts
Im considering buying one actually. GAME are selling them new at 12.99 and you can find HDDVDs for as little at 3 on Amazon.
DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DZBricktop
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
I got the HD-DVD player for $50 with 6 free movies. Now ive been stocking up on the hundreds of HD-DVDs that are out there for DIRT CHEAP. I payed less for my HD-DVD player and 35 movies than my buddy did for his Blu-Ray player alone. I still get anywhere from 3-4 HD-DVD movies for what he pays for 1 Blu-Ray. Of course, all my new purchases are Blu-Ray if i want that particular movie in Hi-Def. But i check to see if any slightly older movie i still want is out on HD-DVD first, cause its a 3rd of the price. Because its so cheap, i have 10x the movies on HD-DVD than Blu-Ray. And because i have so many more movies in HD-DVD then Blu-Ray, i STILL watch it more as a "dead" format than i do over the format that "won".
chicagog19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chicagog19
Member since 2006 • 753 Posts
It still upscales regular dvds and you are not wearing out the dvd drive in the 360 when you want to watch a movie.
larocabottom1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 larocabottom1

It is still a great player I was just wondering why it doesn't display in 1080p, only 1080i.

bssauter13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bssauter13
Member since 2007 • 545 Posts
[QUOTE="jlm13"]

[QUOTE="War_Martyr"]In the closet next to my VCR and cassette player. My graveyard for outdated technology. boyinfridge

thankyou mate I dont know whats wrong with these people I got one when I knew it was dead because I love transformers in HD and there are hundreds of movies you can still buy for as little as 2.99 but the Blu-ray equivalent will be 19.99 or more and I dont care what anyone says the HD-DVD feature are better integrated and for that superior to blu-ray although blu-ray is starting to catch-up now Rambo on Blu-ray was great

outdated means now being made anymore, atleast it means that in my book, but that is a way to save money bcuz it is the same thing from wat i see. (blu-ray n hddvd)

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#18 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
If there are any good movies in the HD DVD format I may just pick one of the add ons up. It's so cheap, it's worth it if theres some good movies.
ray03314506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ray03314506
Member since 2006 • 642 Posts
The moment I found out that the HD DVD drives were being discontinued, I traded my drive to a friend for Burnout Paradise and 25 bucks. I also gave him the movies that I had purchased for it so I took a loss but, in the end, there's no reason to support a "dead" format. I also received the $50 gift card from Best Buy so that sort of eased the pain.
septemberluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 septemberluc
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
I still have it, and I still use it. I'll continue to do so until the day I ultimately get rid of my Xbox 360. I bought far too many HD DVDs (at closeout prices, mind you) to get rid of the player. :)
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

It is still a great player I was just wondering why it doesn't display in 1080p, only 1080i.

larocabottom1

The 1080i/p issue in your case is likely do to the fact that it will not output over component at 1080i. This is a copy protection measure for analog signals, but it can be circumvented by either buying the VGA adapter or using HDMI if that option exists, as those are the only way to get 1080p through a video source. Games are fine though.

JOHN117_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JOHN117_basic
Member since 2002 • 3418 Posts
The moment I found out that the HD DVD drives were being discontinued, I traded my drive to a friend for Burnout Paradise and 25 bucks. I also gave him the movies that I had purchased for it so I took a loss but, in the end, there's no reason to support a "dead" format. I also received the $50 gift card from Best Buy so that sort of eased the pain.ray03314506
I used that 50 dollar gift card to pick up the mgs4 bundle on release day.;)
Tda503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#23 Tda503
Member since 2004 • 86 Posts
you cant sell that **** now, nobody wants it, and any store that still has it has it on clearance for like 20 bucks. no joke
1uP_OnYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 1uP_OnYou
Member since 2008 • 3183 Posts
if I had one I'd place it in a cardboard box in the corner of the attic where Sega CD, Atari Jaguar,and Virtual Boy are. :lol:
gglass19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gglass19
Member since 2006 • 67 Posts
I use my HD DVD player for watching all my movies, I just bought another one for my bedroom xbox (I use my Xbox 360 for games and the HD DVD player for movies)
berzerk0912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 berzerk0912
Member since 2006 • 961 Posts
i use it once in awhile 4 cheap hd dvd movies.
Packt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Packt
Member since 2004 • 3380 Posts
I just rip movies onto my external HD and put it on my 360. Can get any quality I like.
larocabottom1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 larocabottom1

[QUOTE="Packt"]I just rip movies onto my external HD and put it on my 360. Can get any quality I like.[/QUOTE

how do you do that,can the 360 read an external hard drive?

theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 theafiguy
Member since 2006 • 962 Posts

Honestly, who really cares? HD is still a baby technology that isn't economic enough for most consumers to even actually purchase. So many things for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are so expensive that no one really even cared. HD-DVD is dead and it was inferior, and that is why Blu-Ray "won".

Blu-Ray is a better format simply because it can hold more data, I know this has very little to do with the tread but it just ended up being a discussion about the people who were all miffed about HD-DVD dying or that Sony did win the HD format war. So many people care far too much or have such an overstated opinion.

As for the actual topic for the thread, I saw most of my friends keep them because they bought a lot of HD-DVDs and they loved them. They've also all invested in PS3's for Blu-Ray looks and sounds a million times better.

mushi799

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mushi799
Member since 2006 • 1163 Posts
put a bluray sticker on it and pretend
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
[QUOTE="boyinfridge"][QUOTE="jlm13"]

[QUOTE="War_Martyr"]In the closet next to my VCR and cassette player. My graveyard for outdated technology. bssauter13

outdated means now being made anymore, atleast it means that in my book, but that is a way to save money bcuz it is the same thing from wat i see. (blu-ray n hddvd)

lol whats wrong with these people? whats wrong with u? sure the HD-DVD player is fine now, but as no new HD-DVDs are being made anymore, anything u have now is about as new as its gonna get, 6 months to a year ull realise what 'these people' are talking about

SicHeretic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SicHeretic
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
lol
Bulova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bulova
Member since 2003 • 1237 Posts
Ummm...I use it to watch HD-DVDs? What else would I do with it?
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#34 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Ummm...I use it to watch HD-DVDs? What else would I do with it?Bulova
Could watch DVD's with it, too. Hell, you could even use it with a Windows XP/Vista/OS X computer. XP would need a specific Toshiba UDF driver so that it could read the disc information on those HD-DVD's. Vista has that natively, but both need PowerDVD 8 Ultra to read and play these movies. OS X can actually recognize the drive and discs no problem, but there is no software currently available on the MacOS that can play either HD-DVD or BluRay (ironic when there are BluRay burners already available in third-party for the Mac).
FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts
i still use it to watch HD-DVDs cause you can get them for like 5 bucks on ebay
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#36 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I'm keeping it as a backup for when my standalone HD-DVD player dies, and as an external disc drive for my little Acer One.
smokeyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 smokeyf
Member since 2004 • 176 Posts
I took full advantage of the end of HDDVD. I have close to 50 movies and 2 players and didnt pay more than a couple hundred bucks for everything. The Discs arent going to go bad and the players will last a long time. Not to mention that HD-DVDs play in PS3's. Why would you pay 30+ per movies when you can buy them for next to nothing. I'm not at all ashamed of having and continuing to use my player.
BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts
I still have mine. I'm thinking about seeing if I can pick up another as a backup just in case. I still have a decent sized HD-DVD collection, which only grew after Blu-Ray won due to the cheap prices on a lot of my favorites. At some point, I might migrate what I can over to Blu-Ray (at least for favorites like Blade Runner, which I already own in both formats), but until then I plan on keeping some sort of HD-DVD player handy.
agentluap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 agentluap
Member since 2005 • 2254 Posts

I still have mine as some decent movies came out on HD-DVD and I only have to pay £4.99 for them now. So I've kept it to get the movies I want for cheap.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#40 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
I still use mine for regular DVDs. It does a decent job of upconverting them to better resolutions. If nobody has mentioned it yet, to show 1080P check to see if your TV is capable of displaying that resolution. Many aren't.