Way to be greedy a**holes Microsoft.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

madcapper248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 madcapper248
Member since 2005 • 1842 Posts
As it's common knowledge by now, the fall update made m rated FREE downloads inaccessible to anyone under 18. But if you have Microsoft points and want to download something M rated that costs money that's completely fine. They're bending over backwards for the lawyers and parents groups that hate videogames but making sure they can get our money. There's not even an option to download free M rated content. I'm 17 now but I have a child account and I can't download anything rated 17+? WTF!?!?!?!?
steven_v89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 steven_v89
Member since 2003 • 1042 Posts
If you think about it, it makes sense.
Use your brain and think about what Microsoft is doing there..
madcapper248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 madcapper248
Member since 2005 • 1842 Posts
making sure they still get our money? I'm pretty sure I said that.
kapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kapp1
Member since 2004 • 1138 Posts
I have the same problem. They had better get this fixed ASAP.
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
As it's common knowledge by now, the fall update made m rated FREE downloads inaccessible to anyone under 18. But if you have Microsoft points and want to download something M rated that costs money that's completely fine. They're bending over backwards for the lawyers and parents groups that hate videogames but making sure they can get our money. There's not even an option to download free M rated content. I'm 17 now but I have a child account and I can't download anything rated 17+? WTF!?!?!?!?madcapper248
MS didnt get to where they are today by providing excellent customer service.
mattg90520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattg90520
Member since 2006 • 3115 Posts
its fine that they fixed it so only 17+ could download 17+, aka M, demos. however it is so sneaky and greedy, not to mention hypocritical of them, to let people under 17 download M demos if they pay for it. that is if what you say is true
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

I know how to bypass it (i did it), but the mods would have my head if i told you.

I agree with then topic creator. If you can buy an M rated game at age 17 why can't you download the content for said game. Honestly i couldn't download the demo to Kane and Lynch, but if i went to ANY store i can buy the game legally. How does that make sense?

cheetfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cheetfreak
Member since 2005 • 1986 Posts
If your smart enough to "think" what the reasoning is behind micrsoft doing this. you should be smart enough to figure out a way around it. i did it and it took me all of ten minutes.
kapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kapp1
its fine that they fixed it so only 17+ could download 17+, aka M, demos. however it is so sneaky and greedy, not to mention hypocritical of them, to let people under 17 download M demos if they pay for it. that is if what you say is truemattg90520
That would be fine if that was what they had done. I'm 17 and am blocked from downloading anything M-rated.
kapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kapp1
If your smart enough to "think" what the reasoning is behind micrsoft doing this. you should be smart enough to figure out a way around it. i did it and it took me all of ten minutes.cheetfreak
If you're talking about making an alternate silver account, I've tried that. It works when it comes to older stuff but fails miserably elsewhere, as silver members have to wait an extra week to download anything.
cyrax453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cyrax453
Member since 2004 • 1666 Posts
So people under 18 can't DL Mature rated demos? That's really lame...glad I'm 19.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

[QUOTE="cheetfreak"]If your smart enough to "think" what the reasoning is behind micrsoft doing this. you should be smart enough to figure out a way around it. i did it and it took me all of ten minutes.kapp1
If you're talking about making an alternate silver account, I've tried that. It works when it comes to older stuff but fails miserably elsewhere, as silver members have to wait an extra week to download anything.

Think Email Adresses...

kapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kapp1

[QUOTE="kapp1"][QUOTE="cheetfreak"]If your smart enough to "think" what the reasoning is behind micrsoft doing this. you should be smart enough to figure out a way around it. i did it and it took me all of ten minutes.Agent_Kaliaver

Think Email Adresses...

Changing the birthday of my email address had no effect. Changing addresses is not an option given my MSN list. If neither of those is what you were alluding to, please send me a PM. I would really like to get around this, but MS should just fix it.
KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts

So people under 18 can't DL Mature rated demos? That's really lame...glad I'm 19. cyrax453

LAWL yea many dont have to worry about this....sux for the kiddies

MuffinPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 MuffinPunk
Member since 2007 • 4845 Posts
What's wrong with an alternate silver account. It works fine for me. You get to download M stuff just like before, you can even play it under your regular account once it's downloaded. Is waiting a week really gonna kill you. Besides that frontline demo was accessible for download at the same time it came out. I created the silver account and it was right there.
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 teebeenz
What's wrong with an alternate silver account. It works fine for me. You get to download M stuff just like before, you can even play it under your regular account once it's downloaded. Is waiting a week really gonna kill you. Besides that frontline demo was accessible for download at the same time it came out. I created the silver account and it was right there.MuffinPunk
...so you goto pay for gold AND wait like Silver. Wow, what a deal.
MuffinPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MuffinPunk
Member since 2007 • 4845 Posts

[QUOTE="MuffinPunk"]What's wrong with an alternate silver account. It works fine for me. You get to download M stuff just like before, you can even play it under your regular account once it's downloaded. Is waiting a week really gonna kill you. Besides that frontline demo was accessible for download at the same time it came out. I created the silver account and it was right there.teebeenz

I rarely download anything but demos, DLC or once in a while an arcade game but not every thing's rated M or unrated. And the wait is not bad enough for me to complain.

Temptation53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Temptation53
Member since 2007 • 171 Posts

[QUOTE="MuffinPunk"]What's wrong with an alternate silver account. It works fine for me. You get to download M stuff just like before, you can even play it under your regular account once it's downloaded. Is waiting a week really gonna kill you. Besides that frontline demo was accessible for download at the same time it came out. I created the silver account and it was right there.teebeenz

Honestly ... you don't pay for gold (I hope no one does) to get things a week in advance ... you pay for Gold to have the abillity to play with other people online ... anything else is secondary ...

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 teebeenz
you don't pay for gold (I hope no one does) to get things a week in advance ... you pay for Gold to have the abillity to play with other people onlineTemptation53
Paying to play on others self hosted servers, that doesnt make it a better deal.
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts
I guess I don't see where the supposed problem is. The only mature, for pay content I can think of would be updates/DLC to mature games since they don't charge for videos, demos, etc. Therefore the assumption is that if you are buying these things you must already have the game. Thus, your age should have been verified when getting the game. If you don't have the game, then downloading that mature content is useless to you and unusable so there really is not mature content. Where's the problem?
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
its like this.

Live is an 18+ service. Mature defined by MS is 18+. Its stated in the Terms of Service you AGREED to when joining live.

So its M 17+ where you are. Its M 15+ here in aus. Point is, Live is 18+. You agreed to it. Deal with it.
bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
Just make another account, tell them ur over 18 and dl from that account since its all shared anyways. Im 17 to and thats what I would do to bypass it.
thirtytwoshoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 thirtytwoshoe
Member since 2007 • 261 Posts
This is the first I've heard of the problem, but Bill Gates likes to makes money in every single way why should this be any different? If it was up to me Xbox LIVE Gold would be free but unfortunately that's not the case, all I can think of is getting a new Xbox LIVE account which will suck if you have more than 10,000 achievement points.
napalm44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 napalm44
Member since 2004 • 143 Posts
i'm 18 and it wouldn't let me download a m rated content...but then i looked under account management in the dashboard and there was an option to promote your child account to an adult account...i don't know if that will help any of you but it solved the problem for me
david60639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 david60639
Member since 2005 • 6951 Posts
Lol...child account.
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts

If everyone hates Microsoft so much why don't they just get a different console? I am not trying to troll or anything, but I hate when people say "blah blah blah, I hate microsoft" etc etc, and then pre-order Halo 3 for their Xbox 360.

If you hate a company, don't support them, its really that simple.

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 teebeenz
If everyone hates Microsoft so much why don't they just get a different console?Fredrick2003x
Becuase some people are American, and lack any form of common general knowledge the world uses everyday to make its choices.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#28 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

MS is blocking people under 18 from getting to content intended for 18 and up? The shock! The horror!

There is a simple solution for anyone that has a problem with this: Turn 18.

psxcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 psxcube
Member since 2005 • 694 Posts

So MS doesn't want children to get M rated content? Big deal.

Turn 18, put a fake birth date. You know that you CAN change it without deleting your account, right?

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

Well actually i don't see the problem. I just promoted my child account to a adult account and I'm only 16. Illegal? No not really when i have my parents permission to do so. I mean ill play a M rated game whenever the hell i want to....what you think keeping me from violence is going to make me a better person? No actually its going to make me worse.

I want to shoot somebody in a video game for fun? Doesn't mean ill do it in real life.

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

[QUOTE="teebeenz"][QUOTE="Fredrick2003x"]If everyone hates Microsoft so much why don't they just get a different console?TheJuiceyBar
Becuase some people are American, and lack any form of common general knowledge the world uses everyday to make its choices.

Real mature, not my fault you british people don`t know what a dentist is.

Both of you need to L2play hockey : )

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 teebeenz
Real mature, not my fault you british people don`t know what a dentist is.TheJuiceyBar
Congrats on the Assuming everyone not American who speaks english is British, and good on you for watching a simpsons episode, I sure its a handy part of your fine literature collection.
the_animals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_animals
Member since 2004 • 329 Posts

[QUOTE="TheJuiceyBar"]Real mature, not my fault you british people don`t know what a dentist is.teebeenz
Congrats on the Assuming everyone not American who speaks english is British, and good on you for watching a simpsons episode, I sure its a handy part of your fine literature collection.

congrats on generalizing an entire country and sounding like an a@! for it. If the simpsons is so below your standards then how did you know its a simpsons quote cause i sure didnt.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#35 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

alot ppl be madder bcause what if all they play is m and they cant even download new maps or so

and make a new profile and silver accont sing up for 1 month gold and then make sure its 18 year accont you be fine

TheJuiceyBar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheJuiceyBar
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

[QUOTE="teebeenz"][QUOTE="TheJuiceyBar"]Real mature, not my fault you british people don`t know what a dentist is.the_animals

congrats on generalizing an entire country and sounding like an a@! for it. If the simpsons is so below your standards then how did you know its a simpsons quote cause i sure didnt.

Yeah me neither, he just self owned himself. Besides i was just trying to prove how stereotypic he sounded.
DlMEBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DlMEBAG
Member since 2007 • 379 Posts
How does that make them greedy? If anything there losing business. And I agree they shoudnt make a big deal about games, but thats just what the kids get for playing online with the big kids. No one wants to hang out with a child on Xbox Live, atleast thats how I see it.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#38 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
idc much i got my accont over 18 but its bit unfare because parants cant even allow them to play them or download even if they want to so ya
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 teebeenz
>congrats on generalizing an entire country and sounding like an a@! for it. If the simpsons is so below your standards then how did you know its a simpsons quote cause i sure didnt.the_animals
So not only did you misread the irony in the first sentence, you misread the 2nd. Bravo.
Avatar image for AllSystemsRocks
AllSystemsRocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AllSystemsRocks
Member since 2005 • 1079 Posts

I have the same problem. They had better get this fixed ASAP.kapp1

or what ? You will boycott MS ? Sad for Bill !!!!

AsiZaNDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AsiZaNDragon
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts

Thats why you grow a brain, wait for your XBOX live to expire, make a new account and start over WHEN YOUR 1 MONTH FREE SUBSCRIPTION RAN OUT WHEN YOU BOUGHT YOUR XBOX.

*r a geniuz*

But really, Thats what i did so i could get Windows Live on my Xbox and now none of this bothers me :D

djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts

This is the first I've heard of the problem, but Bill Gates likes to makes money in every single way why should this be any different? If it was up to me Xbox LIVE Gold would be free but unfortunately that's not the case, all I can think of is getting a new Xbox LIVE account which will suck if you have more than 10,000 achievement points. thirtytwoshoe

well he might of made loads on windows, but xbox havent turned over a profit they actually lost well over a billion so far and might not turn in a profit until they bring out the next machine

Stevie_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Stevie_Q
Member since 2006 • 2011 Posts

When I get Live in a few days I'm just gonna put my age as 18.

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

[QUOTE="the_animals"]>congrats on generalizing an entire country and sounding like an a@! for it. If the simpsons is so below your standards then how did you know its a simpsons quote cause i sure didnt.teebeenz
So not only did you misread the irony in the first sentence, you misread the 2nd. Bravo.

I have never seen you post anything productive. As a matter of fact, your posts are usually bordering on trolling and often filled with inaccuracies and ignorance. I don't know what your problem is, but I think it's about time you "upgrade your account to an adult".

Kaycm117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kaycm117
Member since 2006 • 170 Posts

As it's common knowledge by now, the fall update made m rated FREE downloads inaccessible to anyone under 18. But if you have Microsoft points and want to download something M rated that costs money that's completely fine. They're bending over backwards for the lawyers and parents groups that hate videogames but making sure they can get our money. There's not even an option to download free M rated content. I'm 17 now but I have a child account and I can't download anything rated 17+? WTF!?!?!?!?madcapper248

well if you use that brain of yours you would be able to figure out the logic behind it.

People underage usually dont have thier own credit cards, they have to use a parents card usually. In Doing im sure teh parent will ask what exactly you are buying, and give thier approval or not. In doing so, Microsoft makes sure its ok with the parents. Anyway, if your not seventeen you shouldn't be playing M rated games, we all know about the racist, loud, obnoxious 12-15 year olds that can be found playing all the online games, and us older more mature gamers are sick of it.

the_animals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 the_animals
Member since 2004 • 329 Posts

[QUOTE="the_animals"]>congrats on generalizing an entire country and sounding like an a@! for it. If the simpsons is so below your standards then how did you know its a simpsons quote cause i sure didnt.teebeenz

obviously you dont understand what irony means and nice job trying to insult my intelligence..ouch