Was Retro Tony Hawk Better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kidpogo95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kidpogo95
Member since 2004 • 43 Posts

When I was just a wee lad with my PS1, Pizza Hut was giving away free demo discs if you bought a certain kind of pizza or something like that. One of the demos was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

I was in love.

Playing it for hours on end, I constantly tried to beat my score. I finally got over a million points :D

Afterwards, when it came out, I finally got a Tony Hawk game, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. It was all I played for a year.

Recently however, I've tried playing the newer Tony Hawk games. I've tried the ones on WII and 360 and even PS2 and none of them seem to bring back the memories of the first two. It seems like the more they add, the more it takes away from the original. Sure some of the additions help, like getting off your board and ways to keep your combo going, but honestly, when did Tony Hawk become more about platforming or using slow-mo to nail more tricks? I'll admit, some of the jumps you can reach by getting off your board are sweet. But please don't try to turn a skateboarding game into a building-climbing game. Tony Hawk is still fun, but to me its at it's lowest point ever right now.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11926 Posts

The first Tony Hawk game was an amazing accomplishment. The graphics and physics were way ahead of it's time. The game just doesn't have that, "god damn, did you see that?!" appeal anymore imo. Also the handling was amazing, there was no other game out that had the feel Tony Hawk had.
I think most developers have caught up in the graphics and physics department and the novel feel of the game has worn off.

Joss09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Joss09
Member since 2009 • 263 Posts

I agree the older Tony Hawks were way better, seems the one now a days are more focused on doing everything but alot of skateboarding, alot of climbing, and spray painting and other ordeals that have nothing to do with getting on a skate board and just having a good time.

gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts
Pizza Hut demo discs FTW!! I remember doing the same thing, just getting hooked on the amazing demo that was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. I feel that if they reverted back to the "old school" feel of TH that it would be too late. There are better skating games out now such as what EA has been doing with the skate games.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts

Agreed the new tony hawk games are garbage i was a loyal fan of the series since one i was obsessed with those games. it was around thaw2 i noticed the quaitly was a little degraded than in thaw it was the nail to the series coffin (though unlike alot of people i really liked thaw) but the quality was definitely way down and than the two games after that were just total garbage.

40_GLOCC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 40_GLOCC
Member since 2006 • 560 Posts
Lol yeah I remember those days getting a fresh pizza with a couple of brand new demos good times.lol
40_GLOCC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 40_GLOCC
Member since 2006 • 560 Posts

Sorry for the double post but anyone remember the disc that came with Spyro Tomb Raider 3 Metal Gear Solid

Yeah I liked retro tony hawk games better

lolnades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 lolnades
Member since 2008 • 576 Posts

yeah, the new tony hawks are pretty much crap. i remember playing number 2 on my computer for a LONG time. IMO, it got bad after 4 :|

Avatar image for deactivated-5d4b602d21842
deactivated-5d4b602d21842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 deactivated-5d4b602d21842
Member since 2006 • 5036 Posts

I can remember being addicted to TH3 for the longest time. And yes id agree with you. The Tony Hawks coming out now are TERRIBLE (except Project 8 wasnt bad)

zpoole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 zpoole
Member since 2009 • 45 Posts
Yeah tony hawks older games were so much better. the 3rd one was the last one i got cause after 2 they really werent very good
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
Oh yeah without a doubt the older Tony Hawk games are alot better. My favorite was Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4.
Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts

Yeah, they were better. Up until the first Underground they were all good, but after then I just lost interest in them.

stevejoe11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 stevejoe11
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I remember that disk! And yes, for me Tony Hawk games peaked at Undergound 1, just being able to get off your board was great. Now they kind of ruin the whole thing with all this extra stuff you can do: nail the trick, etc. They made it way too complicated. But hopping off climbing along a roof was FUN! And the story was great too! THUG2 was ok is guess, but that was just the start of the decline in the series.
hughami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 hughami
Member since 2009 • 1045 Posts
ive played every single one except the thug 2 remix and wii versions and nintendo ds ones. i owned thps3 all the way to proving ground. i returned proving ground the next day because of how unrealistic it was. i like skate way better. thug 1 was my favorite, as a skateboarder i appreciate how authentic the story was and the real life spots. i still wish there wasa skateboarding game that has realistic physics....
kidpogo95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kidpogo95
Member since 2004 • 43 Posts

Well, I loved the first, second, Underground, and Underground 2, but those were the only ones I ever liked. The 3rd and 4th ones were crap in my opinion :/

xscott1018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xscott1018
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts
i would say up until 4 were the best games. once underground came out they went down hill. i do believe activation said they will stop making tony hawk games. i have to say that skate series is the new skateboarding game to get. i really enjoyed the skate series more. it just felt like it was a lot better then the newer tony hawk games. u should check it out.
Avatar image for LieutenantFeist
LieutenantFeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LieutenantFeist
Member since 2008 • 1529 Posts

I had 1, 2 and 3 when I was a kid...they were great...Number 1 on the N64...that was awesome.

LostSoul781

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LostSoul781
Member since 2003 • 1630 Posts

The first one was my personal favorite one. It was just so simple to pull of move it made it really fun.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Underground was the last best one IMO.