Virtua Tennis 3 - Better than Top Spin 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AudioSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 AudioSoldier
Member since 2004 • 4928 Posts

I'm interested in buying the game. Nonetheless, is it worth the money? I'm a fan of 3's predecessor, but is the game better than, say, Top Spin 2, which I found somewhat lackluster.

Thanks.

martinoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 martinoob
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts
I played the demo and thought it was terrible, The original dreamcast version is so much better. The cheesy crap music and awful control killed it for me. Sega is a shadow of itself. Top spin2 is a far better game.
AudioSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AudioSoldier
How does the full game fare?
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
I played it on PSP, it is good, but if you have played any before this, its not a major difference.
AudioSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AudioSoldier
For anyone who has played it on the 360, what are the achievement points like? How does Top Spin 2 compare? I'm guessing very few have the game at this juncture, or just don't want to comment on it. Heh.
Avatar image for tylerdurden2621
tylerdurden2621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tylerdurden2621
Member since 2006 • 704 Posts
Hmm, just maybe you should at least try it and not base everything on the demo. I think its probably one of the most realistic tennis games that  have been made, I cant think of one thats better, and I am a tennis fanatic. I get every tennis game, snes jimmy connors was pretty fun. Anyways, the footwork on the game is much more realistic then most tennis games. Ususally tennis games are so forgiving, you can run one way, and just stop in your tracks pretty much and run the other way, this game isn't like that, its more realistic. If you get got off balance, or put on the defense its tough to come back. The game looks great, and the players strokes really mimic their real strokes pretty well. Things I dont like is the serving, the power serve is fine, but I am not sure whats going on with the kick and slice serves on the game. Also, the game needs to either had fake computer players to make the draws for the tournaments bigger, or just add more real pros, even second rate ones, pretty much anyone to just get more variety. Most of the mini games are pretty good, some of the tennis academy games are kind of weird, but overall good. Overall its a very good tennis game, certainly one of the best. If you like tennis games it would be hard for me to imagine anyone not like this one. Here is a tip for the next tennis game. How about a legends version, put current and retired pros, thats what I want to see. There was one on genesis that had a game that had current pros and retired ones, and it was fairly decent for its time, I would like to see something more like that.
AudioSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AudioSoldier
Hmm, just maybe you should at least try it and not base everything on the demo. I think its probably one of the most realistic tennis games that have been made, I cant think of one thats better, and I am a tennis fanatic. I get every tennis game, snes jimmy connors was pretty fun. Anyways, the footwork on the game is much more realistic then most tennis games. Ususally tennis games are so forgiving, you can run one way, and just stop in your tracks pretty much and run the other way, this game isn't like that, its more realistic. If you get got off balance, or put on the defense its tough to come back. The game looks great, and the players strokes really mimic their real strokes pretty well. Things I dont like is the serving, the power serve is fine, but I am not sure whats going on with the kick and slice serves on the game. Also, the game needs to either had fake computer players to make the draws for the tournaments bigger, or just add more real pros, even second rate ones, pretty much anyone to just get more variety. Most of the mini games are pretty good, some of the tennis academy games are kind of weird, but overall good. Overall its a very good tennis game, certainly one of the best. If you like tennis games it would be hard for me to imagine anyone not like this one. Here is a tip for the next tennis game. How about a legends version, put current and retired pros, thats what I want to see. There was one on genesis that had a game that had current pros and retired ones, and it was fairly decent for its time, I would like to see something more like that.tylerdurden2621
Hmm, just maybe you should at least try it and not base everything on the demo. I think its probably one of the most realistic tennis games that have been made, I cant think of one thats better, and I am a tennis fanatic. I get every tennis game, snes jimmy connors was pretty fun. Anyways, the footwork on the game is much more realistic then most tennis games. Ususally tennis games are so forgiving, you can run one way, and just stop in your tracks pretty much and run the other way, this game isn't like that, its more realistic. If you get got off balance, or put on the defense its tough to come back. The game looks great, and the players strokes really mimic their real strokes pretty well. Things I dont like is the serving, the power serve is fine, but I am not sure whats going on with the kick and slice serves on the game. Also, the game needs to either had fake computer players to make the draws for the tournaments bigger, or just add more real pros, even second rate ones, pretty much anyone to just get more variety. Most of the mini games are pretty good, some of the tennis academy games are kind of weird, but overall good. Overall its a very good tennis game, certainly one of the best. If you like tennis games it would be hard for me to imagine anyone not like this one. Here is a tip for the next tennis game. How about a legends version, put current and retired pros, thats what I want to see. There was one on genesis that had a game that had current pros and retired ones, and it was fairly decent for its time, I would like to see something more like that.tylerdurden2621
Yeah I suppose demos aren't always indicative of the full game. Thanks, I'm going to get the game I think.
PlayaCDubb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PlayaCDubb
Member since 2003 • 440 Posts

I have a friend who owns both of them and he prefers Top Spin. I forget why he said he did though....sorry

Game_Lover70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Game_Lover70
Member since 2007 • 324 Posts
I have it, it's pretty good Xbox Live sucks though becuase no ones on and the achivement points are like rank 200, rank 100, rank 1, beat all training minigames stuff like that
anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 anandram
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
VT3 is a great game. Topspin is great also but they are different types of tennis games if that makes sense. TP2 is pure simulation ie: lots of shot selections and holding down a direction too long makes the ball go wide etc....VT3 is more arcadey in the sense that you are balsting the ball back and forth but it does get very tactical if you play a decent player. i love VT3 and topspin and they both give the authentic feeling but i think i would sway ever so slightly towards VT3. Not alot of people actually KNOW how to play TP2 by the way, i own practically ALL THE TIME online and it gets tedious beating the crap outta people because they cant hit lines on the court. When you do get a decent player in TS2 its great though, but they are few and far between, becasue iv notcied not many people play it anymore :( VT3 is great online and even the crappest of players give u a go because its 'easier' to pick up and play. TS2 gives you about 10 maybe 20 shot rallies if your lucky, VT3 i had a 50+ shot rallie the other day and got an achievement :D, i dont know why but VT3 seems more authentic in a way, players move a it more realistically i think thats why. I wish they would have put taunts in though, id love to be able to congratulate someone on a point well won, iv wanted to do that many times but couldnt! Also, to be able to shove it down someones mouth that they lost a point or got 'owned'. :D ...... My.........50 cents :P
Shniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shniper
Member since 2007 • 88 Posts
In my opinion, Virtua Tennis 3 is a MUCH better game than Topspin. I haven't gotten around to playing online yet, which is almost a good thing if a tennis game can entertain you enough in single player that you aren't bothered to go online.
AudioSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AudioSoldier
Thanks guys. Yeah I struggled with Top Spin 2. Couldn't really get good at it -- I also found the presentation a bit lacking, which is why I'm keen to try VT3.
ashuncc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ashuncc2
Member since 2004 • 886 Posts

I'm interested in buying the game. Nonetheless, is it worth the money? I'm a fan of 3's predecessor, but is the game better than, say, Top Spin 2, which I found somewhat lackluster.

Thanks.

AudioSoldier

Virtua Tennis is more arcade and fun, if you are not a tennis player.

I personally enjoyed Top Spin 2 more.  The movement and playability is more realistic.  This is coming from someone that played a bit growing up.  I played in NCTA, Southern Region, and USTA tournaments.