Upgrading 20GB HD to 60GB

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wedge598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 Wedge598
Member since 2003 • 1263 Posts

Someone tell me I'm wrong. After doing a little research I've discovered that the new live starter pack with the 60GB HD that's available is only really good for Arcade console owners as the pack doesn't include a cable to transfer data from your old 20GB drive to the new drive. WTF?

So all of us 20GB owners are screwed? We can't upgrade without losing all our save games and offline profiles?

I see a place on the Xbox site which allows you to request a data transfer kit for free but it seems to be geared toward those people who are upgrading to the 120GB elite system. The form you fill out requires the serial numbers of your old 20GB system and the new elite system. So I suspect they'd give you a hard time if you wanted to get this kit to use on the new 60GB starter pack.

Why has MS completely ignored the masses of people who want the larger hard drive to start taking advantage of the install to hard drive option in the NXE???

It almost seems like the best option is to purchase a 512MB memory card in addition to the starter pack so you can transfer your offline profiles and some saves to the memory card. But now you're talking about a $150 expenditure to transfer some of your data. And then what about the licenses? Will those get transfered when you recover your Live Gamertag?

This is a very disappointing proposition. :(

Fakenamelmao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Fakenamelmao
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts
i heard if u complain/talk to customer service they will send u one but good luck, MSofts Customer service is a joke.
ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
You can also use a MU to transfer the.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#4 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

same situation

i bought the 60gb HDD and after realizing MS wouldn't send me a transfer cable because it wasn't an Elite console, i returned the HDD. I even looked on ebay to purchase a transfer cable, only to find they were selling for $70-$80....it would cost more to buy the 60GB HDD + transfer cable than just getting the 120gb with the cable.

for your sake i hope you can get the cable from MS...me, after a LOT ot research i gave up.

Vance_009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Vance_009
Member since 2004 • 2005 Posts
Sounds like allot of trouble for something that MS should have done in the first place.
flash69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 flash69
Member since 2002 • 754 Posts
i have just upgraded to the elite. couldnt be bothered with the tranfer cable. All licences for arcade games get down loaded with your profile. the only thing i lost was my game saves. Now that i have had to start all my games again its been a complete joy playing the likes of d.o.a. 4. dead rising. To answer your question about liecences they come with your profile. just need to d/l the arcade games again for free and any other content you may have paid for.
sweet1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 sweet1234
Member since 2003 • 196 Posts
I went from 20 GB to 120 Gb and they sent me 2 cables... dumbasses....
jedibish95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jedibish95
Member since 2005 • 177 Posts
I am not sure though but i got a 60 gig hardrive for Xmas and i got a cord with mine. IDK if its the transfercord or what because havent messed with it to much lately.
jarvis008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 jarvis008
Member since 2008 • 518 Posts
When I bought this pack I rang Microsoft and they said they would send me a cable for free. It took a couple of weeks to arrive but was worth the wait as after using it I sold it on ebay for GBP20 (USD30). After selling my old hdd and the other stuff that came with it that I didn't want I ended up making a profit off the upgrade.
Jdon2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jdon2008
Member since 2008 • 465 Posts
Go to xbox.com and fill out a paper that will get you a free one. When your on the site search data transfer kit, andyou will see a link with the paper to fill out.
BaconB1ts123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 BaconB1ts123
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

I gave up and just got a memory unit and returned it the next day. Yeah it is kind of sneaky but they make it way to hard to just get the cable. I had to phone them twice and then fax the request just to wait for it to get rejected because I did not have a serial number for an elit console ( I just bought the 60gig drive). I could not recover my profile on the new drive because my Live ID is long gone.

Now it is done.

Aurey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Aurey
Member since 2004 • 520 Posts

Why don't you just buy a 120GB HDD? I bought one last week and it included the transfer CD and cable, it took like 40 mins. to transfer all the data from the old drive to the new one. So far I've installed 6 games and still have 60BG free.

Nykid31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nykid31
Member since 2008 • 65 Posts
you can try 2 call them but make sure u no a lil chinese and turn your phone volume all the way up lol
Bulova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bulova
Member since 2003 • 1237 Posts

Try craigslist....thats what I did...bought myself a 60GB HDD and transferred all my saves....

I'm now selling my old 20GB HDD on craigslist too...

ratavaquera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 ratavaquera
Member since 2005 • 732 Posts
I went from 20 GB to 120 Gb and they sent me 2 cables... dumbasses....sweet1234
lol
rrandolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rrandolph
Member since 2006 • 203 Posts

ok you're exactly right. A very funny business decision if I say so myself. This is an attempt to make users buy the 120GB HDD because it comes with the transfer cable. Well, they got me. I just shelled out the dough because it wasn't worth my hassle to find a transfer cable individually; plus more space couldn't hard right? The 60GB starter kit is $100 and the 120GB HDD is $150. For $50 more you get 2x the space.

I understand this is exactly what Microsoft wanted me to do, but at the same time it did provide a need. I've downloaded about 6 games, have a ton of music, have all my games saves, etc. So basically you have two options 1) buy the 60Gb with no transfer cable (wtf Microsoft) and call MS maybe they will give you one maybe they won't or 2) just spend the extra $50 and be done with it. It's a decision that you must make but if you don't want to spend the xtra $50 I totally understand.

impl0sion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 impl0sion
Member since 2006 • 851 Posts
MSofts Customer service is a joke.Fakenamelmao
They were great both times my 360 broke down.
SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts
Didn't even know you could pick up the 60GB stand alone.... dude, just cough up and go for the 120, you will be glad you did.
Wedge598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Wedge598

I guess I see MS wisdom finally. They expect that owners of systems with Hard drives would want to upgrade to the 120 GB version to make their system like the elite model.

The 60GB upgrade is obviously geared just toward arcade owners that want to move into the hard drive model and are on a budget.

Personally I don't plan on using the system to store movies or music so I just wanted a little bigger hard drive to allow me to install a few games to the hard drive.

I can pick up the 120GB drive online for less than $130 so perhaps I should just do that.

Wedge598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wedge598

Once again I've succumbed to M$ and bought another overprice peripheral for the Xbox. I went ahead and picked up the 120GB hard disk upgrade for $150 at a local Best Buy. I thought about getting it online for $130 shipped but wasn't comfortable with taking the risk of shipping the sensative device to my house so I opted to pay a little more and get it local where I could easily return it. Stupid paranoia I know, but oh well.

This is twice now that M$ has impressed me with the product working exactly as advertised and with no hiccups so far *knock on wood*. I plugged the new drive into the Xbox via the transfer cable and ran the transfer disc and just 35min later the new drive was up and running with all my old content intact. I installed three games last night and they all ran great.

Hopefully this will give me a little quieter operation with a little less heat and that will help prolong the life of my Xbox which is a year old already.