Unusual Bioshock Problem - help would be appreciated

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for richard_price47
richard_price47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 richard_price47
Member since 2004 • 394 Posts

Have owned my Premium 360 since last Tuesday. It plays Gears of War, Guitar Hero 2 and Forza 2 perfectly. Won'treally play Crackdown due to freezing, glitches ingame etc but tbh i'm not too worried about that.

Got the limited edition Bioshock delivered to my door on the friday it was released. Went to play the game and it says "need an update to play this".I thought "fair enough, go for it". Go out of the room for a piss (my mistake in this situation) come back and have a message "this disk is unreadable, please clean, reset console etc".

I am now very confused because there are several weird things about this. It plays and recognises all my other games (except the notoriously dodgy Crackdown which it will run but not particularly well) perfectly. On the 360 dashboard it actually says "Bioshock" as the game currently in the disk tray. This copy of the game is brand new and in perfect condition, hadn't been touched till i opened the case.

Now i'm wondering whether this update which i failed to moniter whilst it was being dealt with (BIG mistake i know) was actually downloaded at all. My 360 is not online atm, but i thought the update actually came on the disk like Direct X for PC games, or updates for the PSP on PSP disks. Do i need to connect to Xbox Live and get this update if i don't have it to play the game? If not then is there anything else i need torectify or download first to play this game.I know it's not my console and it can't be the disk, so can anyone shed any light on all of this? Thanks in advance.

MassEffector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MassEffector
Member since 2007 • 474 Posts
There was no actual Bioshock update, but perhaps your 360 needs to be online to get a firmware update or something. Can you get online?
azshorty2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 azshorty2003
Member since 2004 • 4651 Posts
i was not aware of a needed update, unless somehow you manged to find a system so old it didnt come with the 1080p update. then it would need to update. otherwise you may have a defective disk.
richard_price47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 richard_price47
I don't know alot about this update tbh. I just popped the disk in and it came up with an update for the console so i said yes. Don't know what it was. Went out of the room (thought it would be busy loading or downloading or whatever) came back and it has the "this disk is unreadable" message. Whether it has anything to do with the update i don't know. It COULD be a dodgy disk, but i've not heard of anything like that before. Just annoying how on the dashboard even the console knows it's Bioshock but won't bloody read the disk!!
Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts
I would contact the company you bought the game from and notify them. Thye may replace the disk.
lgrub002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lgrub002
Member since 2005 • 80 Posts
My RB6 Vegas disc used to do this all the time. I just restarted the game and it worked fine.
grayfox6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 grayfox6
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
when i bought bioshock i didn't need an update so u mite want to call support.
richard_price47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 richard_price47
Is needing an update for this game pretty bad then? I checked the manufacture date and it's 23/10/06 so it's a fairly recent console anyway. I also checked this error messge on Microsoft help and support and tried everything. The only conclusion i came to from that was that it was a dodgy disk as nothing elsefitted. Least i hope it's that, rather one game than myactual console. Ipre-ordered the game off Amazon.co.uk if that makes any difference.
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
Well I got the normal version and there was no update prompt for me. So I don't know what to tell ya.
richard_price47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 richard_price47
Hmm, can't imagine the Limited Edition would be any different but i'm not sure. I've hadmy 360less than a week so i suppose you could call me a bit of a 360 "newbie". Now i don't know if it's the disk, the console or the software. I'm not TOO worried because everything else works fine, but if Halo 3 does the same thing i might cry. I can live without Bioshock i suppose. Just really confused. It doesn't even say "disk is dirty etc" it just says unreadable. How very odd.........
venomdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 venomdeo
Member since 2003 • 615 Posts
There was no actual Bioshock update, but perhaps your 360 needs to be online to get a firmware update or something. Can you get online?MassEffector
I agree have you ever did A firmware update?My friend used to bring his 360 over to get the updates he has cable now.Maybe ask A buddy if you can do what my friend use to do wouldn't hurt to try it.
richard_price47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 richard_price47

I've not been online with it yet as i'm awaiting wireless internet to get set-up at my house. However, as it is the premium system i got i suppose i could cart the console down to my living room and hook the ethernet cable up to this PCand see what happens. I'm sure i've not had any kind of update for the console since i 1st turned it on.

Also, this firmware update would make sense, as the console is fine and the disk is fine as the console recognises it on the dashboard but just won't read it. And the disk isn't dirty and the console doesn't think it is, just says "this disk is unreadable. clean with a cloth, reset the console blah blah etc etc".

Thanks for the advice, it's the only thing i haven't tried yet, bar calling Microsoft for support or Amazon for a refund/replacement.

g-rash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 g-rash
Member since 2003 • 3128 Posts
you did try taking the disc out, cleaning it, restarting the console and putting it back in right?
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
Try deleting Bioshock from your system and see if that helps.