Turtle Beach X41 problem!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sjaisie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sjaisie
Member since 2006 • 134 Posts

Do any of you use the Turtle Beach X41 headset and do you have a problem with the mic? We bought my son these for christmas and whenever he talks there is a buzzing coming from the headset. Only his friends can hear this noise! The game audio works absolutely fine, much better than my X1's but thats a different matter!

Thanks

Toxic8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#2 Toxic8
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

I have the X41 and have not had a single problem out of it. I do know that when the batteries get low, the headset will create a low buzz until they die. It's not terribly loud, but annoying. But as far as the mic goes it is clear, almost like my DC aviation headset. Trition makes some headsets also if you decided to return those. You will hear pros and cons on both setups.

joke_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 joke_man
Member since 2005 • 1177 Posts

Do any of you use the Turtle Beach X41 headset and do you have a problem with the mic? We bought my son these for christmas and whenever he talks there is a buzzing coming from the headset. Only his friends can hear this noise! The game audio works absolutely fine, much better than my X1's but thats a different matter!

Thanks

sjaisie

I have the X41. This issue could arrive from several issues. I'll try to talk in laymens to help you a bit.

1) Make sure that the mic is appropriately attached to the headset. It is screwed on, and can easily be taken off.

2) Take the foam padding off the portion of the mic used to talk. Make sure that the input portion for talking is properly facing the speaker's mouth. Replace the foam.

3) Regarding the white cable used to connect the headset with your xbox controller, make sure that the connector with the right angle (90 degrees) is plugged into the controller, and the straight connector is connected to the headset. Also try adjusting the mute and volume setting used on this white cord. Adjusting them to see if any noticeable difference is apparent.

Off the top of my head, that's everything I can think of that could cause the issue you are having with the mic. You can try swivelling the white connectors around in the controller, or I also suggest trying to use a different controller, as that may be the issue.

If none of the above suggestions work, it's possible there may be an issue with the headset. Exchange it and keep us updated. If the next set has the same problem, I would guess there is an issue with the controller, or the way youhave connected the headset to your TV/Xbox.

Good Luck!

doughb0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 doughb0y
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts

Speaking of X41... this question is not realated too the poster but im thinking about geting it.

Is it worth the upgrade over the X3 Infared?

Toxic8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#5 Toxic8
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

Speaking of X41... this question is not realated too the poster but im thinking about geting it.

doughb0y

I would say probably not. Unless you can find a deal on the 41's. They can eat batteries, espically if you turn the bass boost on. I am not bashing the 41's, but they are steep at $200 or close to it.

joke_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 joke_man

[QUOTE="doughb0y"]

Toxic8

I would say probably not. Unless you can find a deal on the 41's. They can eat batteries, espically if you turn the bass boost on. I am not bashing the 41's, but they are steep at $200 or close to it.

I believe you can get the X41 headset on Amazon fro $170. They are quite expensive, and if they are beyond your budget I suggest the X31. They are missing the high-end quality of the X41, and some of the features, but for around $80-100 they are well worth it.

I suggest visiting Amazon.com to read the reviews for both sets. They also have a lengthy video for each headset, with the product description. It will also talk more about the differences between the older and newer models.

As for the battery issue, I have had the X41 headset for a few months now and I change the batteries only after about 12+ hours of use. Depending on how often you use them, that's not too bad. I typically use my normal wireless mic and speakers, unless I want to really abe immersed in the game, or it's late and I want to keep things down....

doughb0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 doughb0y
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts

Money is not an issue just my headphones are fine only reason i would be upgrading is because of the 5.1 "Surround Sound" but i think it's more of a gimmick then anything am i wrong?

joke_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 joke_man

Money is not an issue just my headphones are fine only reason i would be upgrading is because of the 5.1 "Surround Sound" but i think it's more of a gimmick then anything am i wrong?

doughb0y

It's very much comparable to actual "surround sound". I was very impressed the first time I plugged things in and changed the settings to the appropriate modes. You should definitely check out the video and reviews on Amazon.

joke_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 joke_man

[QUOTE="doughb0y"]

joke_man

It's very much comparable to actual "surround sound". I was very impressed the first time I plugged things in and changed the settings to the appropriate modes. You should definitely check out the video and reviews on Amazon.

And I believe it's 7.1 Dolby surround.....

sjaisie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sjaisie

Yes they are indeed 7.1 dolby digital, connected to the xbox via optical cable. I think the sound quality of my X1's is fantastic but the X41's simply blow them away. The talk back feature works very well too. This is the option were the headset plays a little bit of your voice through the speakers too to stop you shouting because you cant hear your own voice.

My only gripe at the moment is the microphone chat problem we are experiencing. We have tried contacting MadCatz tech support twice now over a period of about three weeks and have had no response! If the microphone worked as it should I would have no hesitation to give them 8/10.

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

Yes they are indeed 7.1 dolby digital, connected to the xbox via optical cable. I think the sound quality of my X1's is fantastic but the X41's simply blow them away. The talk back feature works very well too. This is the option were the headset plays a little bit of your voice through the speakers too to stop you shouting because you cant hear your own voice.

My only gripe at the moment is the microphone chat problem we are experiencing. We have tried contacting MadCatz tech support twice now over a period of about three weeks and have had no response! If the microphone worked as it should I would have no hesitation to give them 8/10.

sjaisie
Me and my friend were going to get x31,s well he still is but i hear the tritton x720s are good and the 31s were crap apparently so ugh idk...
joke_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 joke_man

sjaisie

Before anyone else wastes their time trying to help, did you read any of the suggestions above--mine inparticular? Did you attempt to try any of those things???

Lastly, are you aware that the X41 model you claim to have is a Turtle Beach product, not a MadCatz product!?!?!?!?!??!

I'm reluctant to give you any more support.....as should everyone else be as well.

sjaisie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sjaisie

[QUOTE="sjaisie"]

joke_man

Before anyone else wastes their time trying to help, did you read any of the suggestions above--mine inparticular? Did you attempt to try any of those things???

Lastly, are you aware that the X41 model you claim to have is a Turtle Beach product, not a MadCatz product!?!?!?!?!??!

I'm reluctant to give you any more support.....as should everyone else be as well.

Firstly, there is absolutely no need to take that attitude.I do appreciate your help and last night Itried everything you said but it did not help and I apologise for not immediately confirming to you in writing that I listened to your advice. But advising everyone else not to give support seems a little childish!

Secondly, I am not "claiming" to have the X41's, we have both the X41's (my sons) and the X1's (mine) and if you took the time to check the Turtle Beach website you will find the EU customer support email address is a MADCATZ one. I did not say the headset is a MadCatz product (check the thread title), I just said I have tried contacting madcatz.

http://turtlebeach.com/support/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=830516321

Anyway, I received an email today from Daniel Nuth at MADCATZ saying that all I need to do is send them proof of purchase and they will send me a new talk back cable as this is what they think is defective! For what its worth I will let you know if this solves the problem, but please feel free to ignore!

cyanfalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cyanfalcon
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Hello, I was wondering if you knew if the X41 (which I just bought) also work with the PS3. I am hearing of a cord that you could possible put from the headset to the mini USB of the PS3 controller. Do you happen to know?
joke_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 joke_man

Hello, I was wondering if you knew if the X41 (which I just bought) also work with the PS3. I am hearing of a cord that you could possible put from the headset to the mini USB of the PS3 controller. Do you happen to know? cyanfalcon

As far as sound goes, you can hook up the X41s to your TV directly and hear everything from the PS3 through the headset. In regards to chat function, you can find some pretty good adapters for USB to mic jack (input) on Amazon. Here is your best bet, and less than $10: http://www.amazon.com/Channel-External-Sound-Audio-Adapter/dp/B001HPL86C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263261928&sr=8-1

The only issue, however, is that the adapter is for a full size USB, not the mini USB that the PS3 controller uses. I can't say for sure, but if you also invest in a Mini USB adapter to connect to the adapter I have a link to above, you should be able to connect everything (with minor hassle) and use the chat function via PSN through the X41 headset.

Personally, I think this would work and with no more than an additional 10 bucks or so investment. If it doesn't work you are only out 10 bucks....

joke_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 joke_man

[QUOTE="joke_man"]

[QUOTE="sjaisie"]

sjaisie

Firstly, there is absolutely no need to take that attitude.I do appreciate your help and last night Itried everything you said but it did not help and I apologise for not immediately confirming to you in writing that I listened to your advice. But advising everyone else not to give support seems a little childish!

Secondly, I am not "claiming" to have the X41's, we have both the X41's (my sons) and the X1's (mine) and if you took the time to check the Turtle Beach website you will find the EU customer support email address is a MADCATZ one. I did not say the headset is a MadCatz product (check the thread title), I just said I have tried contacting madcatz.

http://turtlebeach.com/support/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=830516321

Anyway, I received an email today from Daniel Nuth at MADCATZ saying that all I need to do is send them proof of purchase and they will send me a new talk back cable as this is what they think is defective! For what its worth I will let you know if this solves the problem, but please feel free to ignore!

I assumed a possible spam post. My apologies.

BaconB1ts123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 BaconB1ts123
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts
First of all I have the x41 s and they rock. I had a similar problem when I first got them. A loud static noise though when ever I plugged the chat cord in. I had to read in the instructions that to set up the chat/mic properly you need to turn the headset volume all the way down - adjust the chat volume on the cord to the right level and then adjust the game volume. it worked fine for me and the hiss is gone. As for the PS3 chat - you need to use a usb adapter that goes into the console itself. Kind of wrecks the wireless part of the idea though. I am 99% sure you can't use the mini usb in the controller for chat functions.
BaconB1ts123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 BaconB1ts123
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

I have the X41 and have not had a single problem out of it. I do know that when the batteries get low, the headset will create a low buzz until they die. It's not terribly loud, but annoying. But as far as the mic goes it is clear, almost like my DC aviation headset. Trition makes some headsets also if you decided to return those. You will hear pros and cons on both setups.

Toxic8
I wish mine did that! mine and by brothers with start to crackle and then POW! screaching in your ear if you let it die all the way. They last me about 15 hours of play per battery set so I just keep an eye on the time. $12 for 48 batteries at Costco so not too bad.
sjaisie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sjaisie

No worries joke_man. :)

Bacon bits, we did think that the chat back function may be at fault so we set them up as shown in the instructions, but this did not solve the problem. Hopefully the replacement cable will help, and who know I may even upgrade from my X1's to get rid of that damn 16ft cable! :?

oiler1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 oiler1991
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I WOULD CHANGE THE CONTROLLER..I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM..HOPE THIS HELPS
SithWarrior86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SithWarrior86
Member since 2009 • 131 Posts

Thanks

sjaisie
You need to contact support@turtlebeach.com The problem you are experiencing (and the other guy with the mic problem) is due to the chat wire. Turtle Beach will send you a new one free of charge (they did for me) and problem solved. 10/10!
neva113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 neva113
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I just bought the X41. I hooked every thing up. Only one ear has sound the right ear, then the speaker side has only limited now is this a setting im not seeing or a defective product?
Ki1rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ki1rick
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Hello, I just got the x41 and didn't realize the sound does not work on my xbox component output. ( I use HDMI ) if I were to use the component hook up the sound wont work with or without headset pluged in. Thanks for any help
Anabub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Anabub
Member since 2006 • 8316 Posts

Um this could be as simple as this ... a friend of mine has turtle beaches and well normally it's fine but when he plugs in the play and charge wire to charge up the controller the buzzing starts he can't hear it we all can ... before you start ringing here and there check that first :)

smurf_H8R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 smurf_H8R
Has anyone else had issues with using the X41 with the PS3? My x41 worked great for about 8 months and then I lost the ability to hear people talking to me. I replaced the Amigo II sound board twice and still no joy. I did find that it wil work if I set the audio input to "system default" but it doesn't adjust the sound over the game sound so I can barely hear people. Any suggestions?
giratina23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 giratina23
I bought some X41s for X-Mas and I can hear chat from friends but i can't hear the game volume!