Trash talking on xbox live - British Vs. Americans

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Livewirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Livewirez
Member since 2006 • 597 Posts

Ok i know there are probably hundreds of topics on the forums about trash talking on xbox live, but after playing a game of Gears of War todayand the trash talking was so disgraceful, I had to talk about it. It's an absolute disgrace the way some people from both America and Britain are so competitively hateful (if that makes sense) against each other, it really is astounding. Now i'm not saying EVERYONE is like this, but from personal experience from playing alot of games on xbox live, there is ALOT of people from both sides who are like this (on xbox live), why I don't know but here's how this one started and it's pretty roughly put together because alot of it I just tried to not listen to too much.

The room has 6 players, the 7th joins (an American) and he says, 'Would anyone on the COG team kill someone with glasses?' and then most of theCOG team (who were British) said, 'Yes we ****ing would', in there on way of course. Throughout the rounds, both teams would fire insults at each other and I found it quite strange that the COG team were British, the Locusts were American all but me and i'm British, I hardly said anything to them about it afraid that they would then turn to insulting me (my voice for example, i'm Northern Irish) so I kept very quiet. But some of the things they said to each other like the British singing ,'Where's your towers, where's your f**king towers, where's your tooooowers?', in response to jabbing from the Americans, who then countered back, 'The Queen's sucking my**** you know',and 'America is the world's biggest superpower, we control everything, your country is pathetic with your **** democracy with your queen', and 'I f**ked this British chic the other weekend her **** stank'. Now the British (in this game anyway) replied back alot with racist comments about black people, and i've heard that alot these days especially in gears of war. What I will say is I don't form a general opinion of eithercountries from these people's veiws and comments.

gameplaya4lyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gameplaya4lyf
Member since 2005 • 584 Posts

Some of those things just took it a little to far, but I think the American vs British rivalry is good, when people poke slight jabs, it keeps XBL interesting

tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts
it's always like that pretty much. that's why i don't even plug my mic in most the time.
karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 karriston
Member since 2005 • 3631 Posts
The immaturity on XBL is astounding, but there's not much we can do. The rep system is usless, filing a complaint seems to lead to nowhere, and if you try to say something, tyou just get dragged into the mix. Really, the only thing we can do is just play with friends. Also, check the union in my sig, we started it yesterday to avoid situations like the one you described. P.S., I'm from N.I. too :p
jra32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jra32
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
efery time i go into a room in gears i ask if the host is british to see if therres lag and they call me a fat am,erican
greengunna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 greengunna
Member since 2005 • 228 Posts
not meaning to cause arguments but nearly every time i hear trash talking the americans start it
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

Some of those things just took it a little to far, but I think the American vs British rivalry is good, when people poke slight jabs, it keeps XBL interesting

gameplaya4lyf

I agree there should be some competition thats what makes online gaming interresting. but it should be FRIENDLY competition. its just a game.

slipslayer_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 slipslayer_666
Member since 2005 • 2360 Posts

Gears of War: Bringing together completel a**holes since 2006.

For some odd reason Gears just brings out the worse in people, for another odd reason ive only been observing and not joining in on the verbal fights. But no matter where people are from when they play a game the trash talking just starts automatically, if not after a round or two someone will gloat about a kill and then all hell breaks loose.

I will say however the Brits (iam american BTW) seem less inclined to start the trash talking, they usually end up provoked into some stuff, with the exception of little kids that just tend to scream crazy crap and curse. They always bring up 9/11 and how bush is a prick then they kinda wade the waters before making fun of black people, iam half black but i just ignor it because what am i gonna do? They havent invented the 'punch people through the internet' button and untill they do, theres nothing anyone can do.

Besides that, ive played with some italians on locust, none of which could speak english, and one of them decided to glitch sending the Cog side into hysterics and an all out verbal war in 2 languages. Also played against a german guy who couldnt figure out how to curse in english so he would say stuff like "What the s**t" and "Mother d*mner" and that ended up FUBAR cause people would make fun of that, and his side would steal his kills.

fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts
The British Vs American rivalry is great not just on Live but everywhere like where i work there are a few American and the banter between us is hilarious but there are and always will be people who go too far on both sides and when they meet you get the siuation you just described.
karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 karriston
not meaning to cause arguments but nearly every time i hear trash talking the americans start itgreengunna
That's because the majority of XBL players are American.
XTREMEGAMER5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 XTREMEGAMER5
Member since 2004 • 974 Posts
not meaning to cause arguments but nearly every time i hear trash talking the americans start itgreengunna
agreed, tho it happens with evreyone. Good effort on writing some big topic on this too by the way
Livewirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Livewirez
Yes, 'you a fat american' is a common insult I hear alot like many others. It's when the insults escalate to 'Where's your f**king tower, where's your towers?...' that hit me and untill now I wouldn't talk about it when anyone because i'm not one who regularly posts on forums. I will check out that union btw, it sounds interesting but I usually only post something and check it after 5 mins to read comments, then leave it for an hour or longer beore returning to check on it again so I'm not a regular poster, thanks for the comments though.
greengunna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 greengunna
Member since 2005 • 228 Posts

it seems to be that americans only talk about how much tea the british drink, and the british only talk about how much food the americans eat when you actually think about it its really dumb how a game can lead to that argument

iboo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 iboo01
Member since 2007 • 2784 Posts

This just keeps on F****n happening just a month ago i think it was ppl from england vs american then ppl from austraila

we get the point there are a lot of stupid ppl on LIVE get over it

blarghe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blarghe
Member since 2005 • 159 Posts

XBL has a great feature called mute. I just mute people that start talking like that then they usually quit because they dont get a response.

Livewirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Livewirez

Gears of War: Bringing together completel a**holes since 2006.

For some odd reason Gears just brings out the worse in people, for another odd reason ive only been observing and not joining in on the verbal fights. But no matter where people are from when they play a game the trash talking just starts automatically, if not after a round or two someone will gloat about a kill and then all hell breaks loose.

I will say however the Brits (iam american BTW) seem less inclined to start the trash talking, they usually end up provoked into some stuff, with the exception of little kids that just tend to scream crazy crap and curse. They always bring up 9/11 and how bush is a prick then they kinda wade the waters before making fun of black people, iam half black but i just ignor it because what am i gonna do? They havent invented the 'punch people through the internet' button and untill they do, theres nothing anyone can do.

Besides that, ive played with some italians on locust, none of which could speak english, and one of them decided to glitch sending the Cog side into hysterics and an all out verbal war in 2 languages. Also played against a german guy who couldnt figure out how to curse in english so he would say stuff like "What the s**t" and "Mother d*mner" and that ended up FUBAR cause people would make fun of that, and his side would steal his kills.

slipslayer_666

I agree, gears brings the worst out of everyone at times. I would observe the verbal fights aswell, rather than say anything because you would just add fuel to the fire really. See xbox live is world wide, and that's the problem, we're contesting against people from many different parts of the world and our pride is hurt when a foreign man brings you down to your knees and humiliates you in the game (gears) which sparks racial insults and about your/their country origin etc...but what can we do? I wish the file complaint system actually meant more than a statistic on your Gamer profile. It should be that if you receive so many valid complaints like a points system, your account is banned temporarily. Unless it actually does work that way but isn't being used properly.

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
That's why I don't chat to people online. You can't trust anyone, you can't become friends with anyone. It's all just full of hate, and it's impossible to find people who just play games for fun. People say things that they believe, but would never say in real life. It's all a sad but true indication of how people truly feel about others inside.
karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 karriston

This just keeps on F****n happening just a month ago i think it was ppl from england vs american then ppl from austraila

we get the point there are a lot of stupid ppl on LIVE get over it

iboo01
What a horrible way to live your life. "Get over it" is hardly the best advice. If everyone lived like that, we'd never change anything for the better.
Livewirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Livewirez
Thanks :) all of these comments are great btw, id like to ehar all your views .
Teh_gamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Teh_gamer05
Member since 2005 • 840 Posts
The americans are the most arrogant race in the world, that's the problem. They seem to have this thought that they won alll the wars (ww2 for example) on thereselfs, but the fact is they didn't, they only came in halfway through. " we won the war u aint nothing without us " etc. The difference is, the american race is a bully race, if 8 or so of them are in a room of CoD 3, all talking together, they'll all gang up on one specific person, where as if it's 8 english in a room talking together, we'd rather just make jokes at eachother and laugh about it. " haha Imm0rtal you shoot like you have 2 fingers on your hand ya pikey " a comment last night for example, said to me after a rather bad shot. If I was an american, I would of gone crazy and started hurling insults back, calling him a fág,make jokes about his mum, etc, but me being english, and being able to take friendly banter, i laughed and replied " go on the other team and you can see how good my shot is " and we all laughed and lived happily ever after.
MysticDynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 MysticDynamite
Member since 2006 • 2013 Posts
Unusually, I've played dozens of games in Gears of War, and not once has there been a flame war in our games.
Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts
i would laugh because its always funny
Livewirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Livewirez

OK I wouldn't go as far as saying that ALL Americans are an arrogant race, they're not aliens from another planet, they're people from another country and not all british are all singing and dancing on xbox live. You and your friends may be laughing and joking harmlessly but that's not to say all British are as pleasant. We shouldn't be saying that one country is more so than the other, but i'll abmit to it that alot of the times an American has startedthe arguments (because there's probably more of them)but to say that all Americans as a race are like that is completely throwing what me and others on this topic have said out the window. Thanks for all comments.

Th3James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Th3James
Member since 2007 • 297 Posts
well gears has become a "monkey SH!T fight" lately people throwing insults at another with no regard for there actions thinking because they are in a place where they can talk to others without having them physically assault them makes them think they can scream racial slurs and such
XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts

usa- think they are the big peple on campus

british beople are the same but once they are made fun of they all ways reffer to the twin towers." hey f-u BI#$%, THE TWIN TOWERS BABY

TWIN TOWERS" some thing like that.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
It doesn't matter where anyone is from, a large portion of the XBL communitycan be classified as "jerks." (Everyone's jerk % is roughly the same, it's just a matter of there being more americans on XBL than most nations, so it may appear there are more American Jerks) Americans are not a "race," btw.
julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts
Well, your answers weren't very intuitive so I picked break it up but thats not really what I would do, but if they are heavily arguing then i would just make neutral jokes and keep things on the lighter side, but I assume you mean hateful arguing but if its all in good fun I wouldn't care.
slipslayer_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 slipslayer_666
Member since 2005 • 2360 Posts

The americans are the most arrogant race in the world, that's the problem. They seem to have this thought that they won alll the wars (ww2 for example) on thereselfs, but the fact is they didn't, they only came in halfway through. " we won the war u aint nothing without us " etc. The difference is, the american race is a bully race, if 8 or so of them are in a room of CoD 3, all talking together, they'll all gang up on one specific person, where as if it's 8 english in a room talking together, we'd rather just make jokes at eachother and laugh about it. " haha Imm0rtal you shoot like you have 2 fingers on your hand ya pikey " a comment last night for example, said to me after a rather bad shot. If I was an american, I would of gone crazy and started hurling insults back, calling him a fág,make jokes about his mum, etc, but me being english, and being able to take friendly banter, i laughed and replied " go on the other team and you can see how good my shot is " and we all laughed and lived happily ever after. Teh_gamer05

Yeah, trash talking is universal, reguardless of country and what country didnt tell they're troops after WW2 was over that they're the reason theywon, you cant have a world war with out every country participating that was on the winning side saying they're the reason why. Even tho it was a joint effort.

Anyways i will agree with you and say that most arguments about shooting horriably will usually end up with someone saying "F**k , you lets see you make that shot prick or something of that equivelant, but there have been other times where people just say "Yeah i know that sucked" and that will be that. I have had off days with the longshot and insted of being a prick i just said "Someone take this from me i cant hit a damn thing." everyone had a laugh and the game continued. But that rarley happens and you'll always end up with one guy who thinks he's the messiah with a gun and will horde it till the end of the world.

Livewirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Livewirez

It doesn't matter where anyone is from, a large portion of the XBL communitycan be classified as "jerks." (Everyone's jerk % is roughly the same, it's just a matter of there being more americans on XBL than most nations, so it may appear there are more American Jerks) Americans are not a "race," btw. Staryoshi87

That's one way of looking at it lol. Only some people can take more abuse than others before insulting back and some just cant talk back at all (like me) because i'm not very good at insulting people (intentially, anyway). Well, i've let off some steam for now, best to get these things off your chest and handle things diplomaticly than have arguments lol.

Livewirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Livewirez

Yes I meant what would you do in a heated argument like the one I described in my first post, but I couldn't fit alot of that into the question but I didn't think about joking to keep things on the lighter side, that's a good option, i'll put that in lol.

EDIT: Actually i think i'll leave it, incase It resets the votes or something, but if you would neutrally joke around so not to pick a side or anything then just leave a comment. btw i'm going to be away from my PC for a while, so please keep the comments and votes coming if you want to, i'm interested in seeing everyone's views, buti'll be back in a while.

scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts
Seems like you guys are number 1 for world peace lol.
guitboxdude25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 guitboxdude25
Member since 2006 • 2120 Posts
one time on lost planet multyplayer it was me and a group of british people and i had imitated theyre accent but they were cool and they made fun of mine and we kind of just had fun the whole game makin fun of eachothers customs and language and stuff.it was really funny.so i guess to some extent that would be trash talking but trash isnt a big deal,its part of the game,although racial slurs and frequent cursing(especially by 11 year olds)is just annoying and to some point shocking.and should deff. not be tolerated.