THPG vs. Skate. Hint: TH loses!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 EnderSR388
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts

Neversoft really needs to stop making Tony Hawk games. Proving Grounds is an uninspired mess! It's looks even more ridiculous than Project 8 and even more unpolished. Take a look at this video of THPG. And I guess in some sort of lame attempt to still seem "edgy" and "xTremE!!1!1!!" you now have the ability to punch people for what seems like no reason. It looks like TH is losing it's grip swiftly. And not to mention that the character animation or lack thereof, is simply unexceptable. It looks like a mannequin riding the board, not a person. There is also no sense of weight to the character as seen in this trailer. They just grind with no sense of physics.

Skate on the other hand looks to be amazing and the game to beat for at least a year to come. This game looks better and better every time I see it. No stupid BS like grinding powerlines or jumping 90 ft into the air over a house and 5 swimming pools. It's just a guy and his board set against a believable city environment. Slows down the pace to make you actually feel the flow of skating and to stick the tricks with a sense of accomplishment, instead of jamming on the A button or some other button combo. It's about time a game like Skate came along.

Good bye Mr. Hawk, we had some good times but you just failed to evolve.

Childeater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Childeater10
Member since 2006 • 3027 Posts
I agree. Although if your looking for a more arcadey skateboarding game. TH is the better choice. But for a more realistic feel its going to be Skate. I've been waiting for this game since it was annouced and I cant wait to pick it up this friday.
MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
its all about Skate! :)
joey101010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 joey101010
Member since 2003 • 7521 Posts
its all about Skate! :)MichaeltheCM
Agreed.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I agree. I haven't bought a skate game since THUG, but Skate is changing all of that. THPG is looking to be the worst Tony Hawk game yet.
philip6k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 philip6k
Member since 2006 • 1365 Posts
even if skate is way better which it probably will be, tony hawk will always sell more, it has such a big fan base plus it has all the pro skaters in it and all the official stuff, and some people love the fact that instead of barely being able to pull off some basic tricks, you can do all the tricks you ever dreamed of and do crazy things in tony hawk
julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts
Well, I kind of disagree TH can still be a fun game to play it just really comes down to if you want to play a fantasy type skateboard game or a more realistic skateboard simulation game. :)
julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts

even if skate is way better which it probably will be, tony hawk will always sell more, it has such a big fan base plus it has all the pro skaters in it and all the official stuff, and some people love the fact that instead of barely being able to pull off some basic tricks, you can do all the tricks you ever dreamed of and do crazy things in tony hawkphilip6k

Exactly what I'm saying, but Skate does seem like its going to be really cool.

Corvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Corvin
Member since 2002 • 7266 Posts
I wasn't impressed at all with THPG walkthroughs on Gametrailers. Looked like a last generation game. Skate is the first skating game I've shown interest in since THPS3. Maybe not enough to buy it until its cheaper, or a rental, but its still a lot more than I can say for Tony Hawk.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
WOW another skate fanboy. I mean come people ridiculous. If you dont like TH fine,but to say stop making it is just stupid and really fanboyish. Other people still perfer TH to skate and it seems all that skate has done is spawn really annoying fanboys.
360player_eq12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 360player_eq12
Member since 2006 • 2214 Posts
to everybody saying skate is so much better .....its made by ea so its gonna turn into a tony hawk type game coming out every year with near to no improvements.
tony_fjellborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tony_fjellborg
Member since 2006 • 1123 Posts
Dont buy it, its an EA game for god sake..
childe_roland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 childe_roland
Member since 2003 • 2542 Posts
WOW another skate fanboy. I mean come people stop being an ass. If you dont like TH fine,but to say stop making it is just stupid and really fanboyish. Other people still perfer TH to skate and it seems all that skatehas done is spawn really annoying fanboys.finalfantasy94

Whoa whoa whoa!!! Take it easy, Skate IS better than TH, it's as simple as that, if you're not on the level why dont you go for a nice relaxing skate on your rollerblades and think about why you have the wrong point of view, maybe when you get home you can spend a little bit of quality time with the demo of the soon to be, new reigning champ of skateboard videogames. We'll make a "fanboy" out of you yet,non believer :)
Bertie_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bertie_Boy
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Yes without a doubt I think that Skate is going to be the skateboarding game this year it is just so much more fun and realistic and the gameplay is amazing !!!
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]WOW another skate fanboy. I mean come people stop being an ass. If you dont like TH fine,but to say stop making it is just stupid and really fanboyish. Other people still perfer TH to skate and it seems all that skatehas done is spawn really annoying fanboys.childe_roland

Whoa whoa whoa!!! Take it easy, Skate IS better than TH, it's as simple as that, if you're not on the level why dont you go for a nice relaxing skate on your rollerblades and think about why you have the wrong point of view, maybe when you get home you can spend a little bit of quality time with the demo of the soon to be, new reigning champ of skateboard videogames. We'll make a "fanboy" out of you yet,non believer :)

THats opinion my friend not fact. I played the demo and its an ok game I dont hate it, but im not really into it. Also TH and skate are totally two different games. TH is more arcady while skate is more sim based. So its not one is better then other is just people have different taste.

_iNLoVe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _iNLoVe_
Member since 2007 • 34 Posts
TH Has seemed "old" for ages now, about time another game rivalled it, especially because of how popular TH is. ;)
cmedabomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cmedabomb
Member since 2006 • 143 Posts
yeah skate is finally making a skateboarding game that uses more skill than combo button pressing
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Dont buy it, its an EA game for god sake..tony_fjellborg

I see Fight Night Round 3 in your gamertag....:|

Avatar image for deactivated-5a155dd59341e
deactivated-5a155dd59341e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5a155dd59341e
Member since 2005 • 1725 Posts

[QUOTE="MichaeltheCM"]its all about Skate! :)joey101010
Agreed.

Yup. I'll still have to try the demo though.

Carpe_Noctum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Carpe_Noctum
Member since 2002 • 1369 Posts
The problem is, TH:Whatever is about grinding powerlines and mad combos with 80ft of air, and that is fun. SKATE is, what I do when I am skating, except it lacks all the fun aspects of doing it. SKATE seems redundant, why buy the game when you could buy some new trucks or a new deck? And no, it doesn't compare to most other sports as it is a singular sport. I guess the appeal is that while hitting that Super-Sized burger, fries and drink you can pretend that you are kill'n it. Some SIM games are great, simming skateboarding doesn't seem so. Beyong that, the camera is horrid but maybe that is just the demo-only version. I'll rent it if I can use Big Black as my skater.
childe_roland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 childe_roland
Member since 2003 • 2542 Posts
The problem is, TH:Whatever is about grinding powerlines and mad combos with 80ft of air, and that is fun. SKATE is, what I do when I am skating, except it lacks all the fun aspects of doing it. SKATE seems redundant, why buy the game when you could buy some new trucks or a new deck? And no, it doesn't compare to most other sports as it is a singular sport. I guess the appeal is that while hitting that Super-Sized burger, fries and drink you can pretend that you are kill'n it. Some SIM games are great, simming skateboarding doesn't seem so. Beyong that, the camera is horrid but maybe that is just the demo-only version. I'll rent it if I can use Big Black as my skater.Carpe_Noctum

I dunno, I gotta tell you I disagree man, Kelly Slaters Pro Surfer was the TH equivalent of a surf game but that was what ruined it for me, I didn't want my little polygonal surfer dude doing 100 foot kickflips offa the face of Jaws or Mavericks, I wanted to relax my muscles after a solid session and veg infront of the tv doing a little bit of what I was just doing...Surfing.  Same with any game in the solo sports genre, I don't care if it's skiing, snowboarding, skating or mtn biking, if they can make it realistic and fun at the same time I'm all over it.  This way when my little polygonal skateboarder does a rail(not the powder kind ;) ) I can really appreciate it, it looks cool and real and I can relate a little cause it's pretty tough to do in the game and hard as hell in real life.  But whatever ya know?  That's just me. 
tony_fjellborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tony_fjellborg
Member since 2006 • 1123 Posts

[QUOTE="tony_fjellborg"]Dont buy it, its an EA game for god sake..BioShockOwnz

I see Fight Night Round 3 in your gamertag....:|

Lol, i was being kindasarcastic. But many EA gamesare pretty bad.. Fight night is not one of them though..

EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 EnderSR388

WOW another skate fanboy. I mean come people ridiculous. If you dont like TH fine,but to say stop making it is just stupid and really fanboyish. Other people still perfer TH to skate and it seems all that skate has done is spawn really annoying fanboys.finalfantasy94

I'm not a fanboy of Skate, I'm a fanboy of good games. Skate, to me, represents the next evolution in skateboarding games. The TH series, while it will always have a fanbase for good or bad, has failed to bring anything new to the table. Instead, Neversoft feels that it should just crank out the same game year after year with minor tweaks. If the TH series had gone the way of Skate and introduced an analog trick system and slower more deliberate gameplay, you bet you butt I would be in here singing its praises.

EA, in the past and even presently, has been brandished as the "Evil Empire", but for some reason they still sell millions of copies of their games. It's not so much that EA doesn't want to evolve and take the next step with their games, it's the EA knows that people will buy the same game year after year (Madden anyone??) with just enough small tweaks to not lose the original appeal of the game. That's as much of the gamers fault as it is the publishers. Skate has a solid enough foundation that I wouldn't mind playing the same thing next year with some tweaks. We've been doing that with the TH for awhile. So why should this be any different now?

Cedric169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cedric169
Member since 2005 • 2138 Posts
Agreed, We needed a new good Skate game besides Tony Hawk because they been gettin' worst with every game that they release since Underground...
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]WOW another skate fanboy. I mean come people ridiculous. If you dont like TH fine,but to say stop making it is just stupid and really fanboyish. Other people still perfer TH to skate and it seems all that skate has done is spawn really annoying fanboys.EnderSR388

I'm not a fanboy of Skate, I'm a fanboy of good games. Skate, to me, represents the next evolution in skateboarding games. The TH series, while it will always have a fanbase for good or bad, has failed to bring anything new to the table. Instead, Neversoft feels that it should just crank out the same game year after year with minor tweaks. If the TH series had gone the way of Skate and introduced an analog trick system and slower more deliberate gameplay, you bet you butt I would be in here singing its praises.

EA, in the past and even presently, has been brandished as the "Evil Empire", but for some reason they still sell millions of copies of their games. It's not so much that EA doesn't want to evolve and take the next step with their games, it's the EA knows that people will buy the same game year after year (Madden anyone??) with just enough small tweaks to not lose the original appeal of the game. That's as much of the gamers fault as it is the publishers. Skate has a solid enough foundation that I wouldn't mind playing the same thing next year with some tweaks. We've been doing that with the TH for awhile. So why should this be any different now?

Not everyone is in love with the analog system. Its basicly fight night stuck to a skatebord which I hate. I have nothing against skate,but like I said just cause you hate the TH games doesint mean they should stop making them all together. Other people enjoy them still and I admit Undergournd was retarted,but it seems TH is going back to how it was before. So you have to admit for you to say "stop making the games" because you dislike them is childesh.

EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 EnderSR388
[QUOTE="EnderSR388"]

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]WOW another skate fanboy. I mean come people ridiculous. If you dont like TH fine,but to say stop making it is just stupid and really fanboyish. Other people still perfer TH to skate and it seems all that skate has done is spawn really annoying fanboys.finalfantasy94

Not everyone is in love with the analog system. Its basicly fight night stuck to a skatebord which I hate. I have nothing against skate,but like I said just cause you hate the TH games doesint mean they should stop making them all together. Other people enjoy them still and I admit Undergournd was retarted,but it seems TH is going back to how it was before. So you have to admit for you to say "stop making the games" because you dislike them is childesh.

That's the thing, they're not going back to the way they were. Hell they're not even going forward. The TH series is just wallowing in some mess undecided if the game should be realistic or cartoony. I would respect the series more if it did go back to what made it famous. But this whole "nail the trick" and the realistic look doing cartoony things just doesn't cut it. The analog control works very well in Skate, just as it did in Fight Night R3. I didn't hear very many people complain about not being able to throw punches, I mean even OXM rated it a 10 (I know that's not saying much, but....). So it's obviously a system that works and many people are comfortable with.

It takes skill and patience and I think that what some people who played the demo lacked. The tricks weren't just handed to them with a few simple button presses. So they ran on here to tell eveyone how horrible the game is. Also, about the camera: I think it's in a perfect position. This game is about "Skateboarding", which means that the board should be the main focal point not the person or the silly crap happening in the background.

I just think that the TH series should either go back to it's roots (timed runs, hidden tapes, no Bam or Steve-O) or move into the future, but this half-assed mishmash thing it's become is just sad.

chris8010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chris8010
Member since 2003 • 31 Posts
Really, Skate hasn't caught my interest. Not being a skateboarder and not really being into skateboardingat all, I find TH games much more appealing (and I have played all of them). I'd rather be having fun skating throughthe levels and pulling off huge combos and tricks with easy button presses and occasional analog stick moving(nail the trick etc.) than having to use the analog stick to do all of the jumps and having to worry about pressing buttons to keep the speed up. I can understand if people are looking for a more realistic sim experience and choosing Skate, but for having morefun and just messing around, TH takes the win for me.
KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts
imma buy it
andrewhateme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 andrewhateme
Member since 2007 • 286 Posts

Dont buy it, its an EA game for god sake..tony_fjellborg

True that!!! Its also a skateboarding game, why would you want to play a skateboarding game?

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 finalfantasy94
[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"][QUOTE="EnderSR388"]

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]WOW another skate fanboy. I mean come people ridiculous. If you dont like TH fine,but to say stop making it is just stupid and really fanboyish. Other people still perfer TH to skate and it seems all that skate has done is spawn really annoying fanboys.EnderSR388

That's the thing, they're not going back to the way they were. Hell they're not even going forward. The TH series is just wallowing in some mess undecided if the game should be realistic or cartoony. I would respect the series more if it did go back to what made it famous. But this whole "nail the trick" and the realistic look doing cartoony things just doesn't cut it. The analog control works very well in Skate, just as it did in Fight Night R3. I didn't hear very many people complain about not being able to throw punches, I mean even OXM rated it a 10 (I know that's not saying much, but....). So it's obviously a system that works and many people are comfortable with.

It takes skill and patience and I think that what some people who played the demo lacked. The tricks weren't just handed to them with a few simple button presses. So they ran on here to tell eveyone how horrible the game is. Also, about the camera: I think it's in a perfect position. This game is about "Skateboarding", which means that the board should be the main focal point not the person or the silly crap happening in the background.

I just think that the TH series should either go back to it's roots (timed runs, hidden tapes, no Bam or Steve-O) or move into the future, but this half-assed mishmash thing it's become is just sad.

First of all I like the fact that time runs dont exist anymore. It makes you rush through a game you wanna sit down and have fun with. Also TH looks real because its next gen and the graphics gatta update. What do want them to look like down hill jam?! TH has always been a arcady game and thats what made it fun for me and others. Also THPG doesint have the jackass people like the underground series. Yes I do admit that Skate does take skill to pull off, butthat doesint mean I dont have the skill I just dont like the control layout. Yes alot of people are comfertable with the analog controler, but alot doesint equal everyone in the world. They add nail the trick,grab and manual to add new feature in the game you rather them take it out? Like I said just because a game plays arcady doesint mean it has to look arcady with big heads and cartoons graphics I mean look at NBA street homcourt. A arcady game with relistic graphics.

noambartouv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 noambartouv
Member since 2006 • 717 Posts
yeah dude i totally agree with you! the last few tony hawk games were a total catastraufy!! they were bugged, ugly, superly unrealistic in an annoying way and they were just childish and boring.... what happened to the creators of tony hawk 1,2,3? those games were awesome! awesome maps, awesome tricks, awsome goals, awesome awesome awesome! :D