The wrong thing about Halo, and other games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Torous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Torous
Member since 2004 • 915 Posts
Is that they exeed in graphics, but they have a completely last generationfeeling. I recently saw the new "leaked" Halo 3 gameplay movie. While I was watching it I though "OMG", it is like playing the freaking Halo 1 with gr8 graphics. NOTHING NEW. The only games that look next gen to me are: 1.Mass effect 2.Bioshock 3.Fable 2 4.Forza 2 5.GoW 6. Oblivion 7.BIA HH 8.HL2 Episode 2.
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

I don't see anything next gen in Oblivion other than graphics.  I could easily say that it is Morriwind gameplay with next gen visuals, so I don't really get your statement about Halo 3.  Bungie is also held down by the fact that they need to keep long time players happy, so they can't really divert from the same old Halo formula. 

Since we haven't seen anything other than alpha and beta footage of Halo 3 it is still way too early to start commenting on this.  Wait until something more concrete is released before analyzing it. 

Torous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Torous

I don't see anything next gen in Oblivion other than graphics.  I could easily say that it is Morriwind gameplay with next gen visuals, so I don't really get your statement about Halo 3.  Bungie is also held down by the fact that they need to keep long time players happy, so they can't really divert from the same old Halo formula. 

Since we haven't seen anything other than alpha and beta footage of Halo 3 it is still way too early to start commenting on this.  Wait until something more concrete is released before analyzing it. 

Large_Soda

IMAO Oblivion is way more next gen than Halo 3. It's the amazing open nature, and the fact that at least 5 different kind of games co-existed so harmonically. No, morrowind didn't have that authenticity.As for Halo 3, it is plain stupidity to give the exact same gameplay just because it is popular. I mean, Metroid Prime in GC had a completely new gameplay style that boosted the experience in the previous gen. Halo is just ... Halo.
-Beowulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Beowulf
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts
[QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

I don't see anything next gen in Oblivion other than graphics. I could easily say that it is Morriwind gameplay with next gen visuals, so I don't really get your statement about Halo 3. Bungie is also held down by the fact that they need to keep long time players happy, so they can't really divert from the same old Halo formula.

Since we haven't seen anything other than alpha and beta footage of Halo 3 it is still way too early to start commenting on this. Wait until something more concrete is released before analyzing it.

Torous

IMAO Oblivion is way more next gen than Halo 3. It's the amazing open nature, and the fact that at least 5 different kind of games co-existed so harmonically. No, morrowind didn't have that authenticity.As for Halo 3, it is plain stupidity to give the exact same gameplay just because it is popular. I mean, Metroid Prime in GC had a completely new gameplay that boosted the experience in the previous gen. Halo is just ... Halo.

And about 99% of people who have been playing Halo since Halo 1 want just that... Halo. We don't a revolutionized game. We want the same long-standing gameplay to be brought over with flashier graphics. You are entitled to your opinion, but only speak for yourself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
deactivated-5f033ecf40fed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
Member since 2004 • 2665 Posts
[QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

I don't see anything next gen in Oblivion other than graphics. I could easily say that it is Morriwind gameplay with next gen visuals, so I don't really get your statement about Halo 3. Bungie is also held down by the fact that they need to keep long time players happy, so they can't really divert from the same old Halo formula.

Since we haven't seen anything other than alpha and beta footage of Halo 3 it is still way too early to start commenting on this. Wait until something more concrete is released before analyzing it.

Torous

IMAO Oblivion is way more next gen than Halo 3. It's the amazing open nature, and the fact that at least 5 different kind of games co-existed so harmonically. No, morrowind didn't have that authenticity.As for Halo 3, it is plain stupidity to give the exact same gameplay just because it is popular. I mean, Metroid Prime in GC had a completely new gameplay ****that boosted the experience in the previous gen. Halo is just ... Halo.

Comparing the change in gameplay from 2d metroid to 3d metroid to the change in gameplay from a 3d FPS (Halo:CE and Halo 2) to another 3d FPS (Halo 3) is kind of stupid.  Also, Morrowind had that 'amazing open nature' and the storyline was way better.  A lot of things were better in Morrowind than Oblivion.

Torous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Torous
[QUOTE="Torous"][QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

-Beowulf

IMAO Oblivion is way more next gen than Halo 3. It's the amazing open nature, and the fact that at least 5 different kind of games co-existed so harmonically. No, morrowind didn't have that authenticity.As for Halo 3, it is plain stupidity to give the exact same gameplay just because it is popular. I mean, Metroid Prime in GC had a completely new gameplay that boosted the experience in the previous gen. Halo is just ... Halo.

And about 99% of people who have been playing Halo since Halo 1 want just that... Halo. We don't a revolutionized game. We want the same long-standing gameplay to be brought over with flashier graphics. You are entitled to your opinion, but only speak for yourself.

That is correct,but if they are not capable of pleasing their own fans with something inovative that also attracts new people, I think they fail.
JoeTonks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 JoeTonks
Member since 2005 • 189 Posts

Bungie is also held down by the fact that they need to keep long time players happy, so they can't really divert from the same old Halo formula.   

Large_Soda

If they can't think of anything new they could just NOT create the game. Raging Halo enthusiast here, if you couldn't tell...

levi895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 levi895
Member since 2005 • 1235 Posts

Halo has never really been revolutionary, it has just done everything very well, and has a very deep story, fun characters and everything else. The only really revolution was that holy crap someone just did a FPS that works flawlessly on a console. But even that had been done before (007 goldeneye, perfect dark). Its just a fun game that does what it needs to do extremely well...and i dont think theres anything wrong with that.

And as for your list of true next gen games, well to be honest you're really contradicting yourself. I mean what did Gears really do other then add the reloading mechanic and better graphics? and dont say physics because HL2s ragdoll engine was better and that was technicaly last gen. Forza 2...its a racing game... going to follow the same mechanics racing games always have, just with better graphics and more cars/ stuff to do to your cars. Oblivion is 50/50, Morrowind did alot of things better, but the sheer size, AI, and implimentation of physics on so many things is pretty impressive, but as to the way you play the game...not to different.

So if you ask me, yeah there will be new cool stuff in most big games that come out, but when you get down to it the way you play the game will go down to the same basic mechanics other games have been following for so long. Its really quite rare for a game to bust out with some crazy inovative thing (half life 2s use of physics) so i really dont see the problem, some people just love to rag on halo, but its obviously doing something right.

Avatar image for SMASHED_ASPHALT
SMASHED_ASPHALT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SMASHED_ASPHALT
Member since 2007 • 1777 Posts

You can't really compare a FPS to an RPG. RPG's are meant to change drastically to give you new ways to "free roam." FPS are meant to be hectic and have fast game play. (duh). FPS are different, especially Halo, over most others because it is the same gameplay that fans of series love. It doesn't much change just a couple new weapons and a fresh coat of paint with a good story and we're off and running.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
[QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

Bungie is also held down by the fact that they need to keep long time players happy, so they can't really divert from the same old Halo formula.   

JoeTonks

Why would they NOT create the game?  If anything it would be financially stupid.  Or were you being sarcastic?

If they can't think of anything new they could just NOT create the game. Raging Halo enthusiast here, if you couldn't tell...

[QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

JoeTonks

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts

what do you think made halo so popular in the first place? if they completely change the gameplay, what's to love?

njdss4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 njdss4
Member since 2003 • 2721 Posts

Is that they exeed in graphics, but they have a completely last generationfeeling. I recently saw the new "leaked" Halo 3 gameplay movie. While I was watching it I though "OMG", it is like playing the freaking Halo 1 with gr8 graphics. NOTHING NEW. The only games that look next gen to me are: 1.Mass effect 2.Bioshock 3.Fable 2 4.Forza 2 5.GoW 6. Oblivion 7.BIA HH 8.HL2 Episode 2.Torous

I agree.  Gamers shouldn't JUST want great graphics, they should want a great story to accompany it to validate the $60 they just spent on it. 

ronnie_m17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ronnie_m17
Member since 2006 • 4014 Posts
what can they really change about halo's gameplay. If they change it it will be a diferent game, and not the halo everyone loves, if its not broke dont fix it
jericoY2J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 jericoY2J
Member since 2006 • 1688 Posts
so ur saying next-gen is about gameplay over graphics??? WtF is wrong with u.how can u make the gameplay of halo3 better???explain urself. also graphics are always gonna get better with better hardware. while gameplay is about the people producing and hleping making the game.
JOHN117_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JOHN117_basic
Member since 2002 • 3418 Posts
Even though oblivion is a great game it has done nothing that hasnt been done before. Its just a more expansive prettier kingsfield of today. With this said your argument about halo 3 not bringing anything new is tossed aside. If it wasnt mostly like the first and second game then it wouldnt be halo. I am fine with prettier graphics, bigger levels, smarter ai and an intense new branch in the storyline.
ag1002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 ag1002
Member since 2004 • 13499 Posts
I couldn't find any sense in your post.  It's a video game, what do you expect them to do?  Anyway, I don't think Bungie cares if their game doesn't meet your standards for "next-gen."
kyle_1865

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kyle_1865
Member since 2005 • 1025 Posts

I couldn't find any sense in your post.  It's a video game, what do you expect them to do?  Anyway, I don't think Bungie cares if their game doesn't meet your standards for "next-gen."ag1002

i dont think ANYONE cares about your standard for next-gen

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Woah now... Morrowind was much bigger and more diverse than Oblivion.  Oblivion was "streamlined" by Bethesda in response to complaints that Morrowind was too big and daunting.

You accusation can be levelled at almost any game for the 360.

So let's not assume what you're talking about.  Exactly how do you define "next gen"?

sammysalsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sammysalsa
Member since 2004 • 1832 Posts

firstly thats just your opinion, and you need to think of what makes things next gen. it's extremely hard to make 'revolutionary' games these days as there are already so many game types and genres out there.

the best thing people can do is make somehing that stands out and is unique and most importantly fun to play, and thats why people like halo and don't want it to change. the original halo was just a really good quality game ( @ the time ) and it was alot of fun and thats why people like it and keep coming back to it

the most next gen thing driving games is all of the advances in more powerfull technology that can allow alot more things in games that previously wern't possible.

you could probably call the wii revolutionary. probably get flamed for that but i did say probably .. 

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

Comparing a 2D game that went 3D to a game that was always 3D... okay.

Do you want them to make it 4D so it changes more?

The Halo gameplay is what fans always loved.  The story was also something.  If they changed the two what would  this game be?  I'll tell you this, it wouldn't be Halo.

This is what I expect from Halo 3.

-New Weapons *

-New Gametypes *

-New Vehicles *

-Continuation of the Story *

-Better Graphics *

That is what I expect and what has a star next to it(everything) is confirmed to be in Halo 3.  There is not much you can expect in a sequel.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
[QUOTE="Torous"][QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

-Beowulf

Sorry but I just have to comment on what you just said. First you say 99% of the halo fans want the same gameplay and then you tell the other guy he should only speek for himself, isn't that kinda strange? 

Mondrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mondrath
Member since 2007 • 314 Posts

What is a "next-gen" feeling anyway? 

A great critic (whose name escapes me) once said that there is a limit to originality, that everything (books, games, movies) fall under a certain genre or type and all we do is we add little things to make it seem that more interesting than what came before. This is very clear in the movie industry, for example, because it has been around longer than the game industry. you can take any movie today and fit it into the same genres (horror, drama...etc) that have been around for decades! Now that the game industry has some age under its belt, it is going the same and inevitable way that other entertainment forms have. the new inovations will slow down and we will find that we have settled with a number of genres and developers will merely add little nuances to make it interesting.  A lot of us gamers have seen the rapid evolution of games. Think about it: a lot of us witnessed the birth of the FPS!! a complete new creation!! and we have become used to experiencing these "births". At some point you stop having new kids and help to advance the ones you have.

Sorry to go on so much!!! Â