the future of Gaming is ONLINE...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ill-thoughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ill-thoughts
Member since 2005 • 3059 Posts

it always Puzzles me now, in 2010, when games are released and they dont have ANY online whatsoever...

now i agree that there are some Good single player games out there...some will say Fallout, Bioshock, Batman and so on.....but imagine how GOOD these games would be if you could go ONLINE with them....it would boost the replayability by 10x or even 100x.....once youv explored every nook and cranny, collected every hidden object and so on, the game becomes BORING...and there isnt ONE GAME that you can name that is not BORING at some point once youv played it out...

people want to play Online...they want to compete with actual human beings on their level of intelligence and cunning so as to Test Themselves and push their game to the Limit in Difficulty and Realism in gaming...they want to play with their friends and create Unforgettable Moments that can ONLY HAPPEN when you play with an actual Person. im sure All of you can name quite a few Moments in your Gaming History that have been EPIC during an onlinemultiplayer game...

now stop and think about these moments...and ask yourself...why cant these moments be created in EVERY game????

the truth is...as we venture on into Oblivion...online gaming is a MUST of the FUTURE...and ALL games Will and SHOULD be required tohave it....and anyone who doesnt think so is lying to themselves....

XXGamerfanXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 XXGamerfanXX
Member since 2009 • 1066 Posts
Meh, Im sick of online gaming in general. Im more into the Single Player these days, with amazing storylines, and gameplay. However, I may get Halo Reach for the Multiplayer, since Im always a fan of the games.
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
I actually believe the opposite of that. While I definitely agree that online gaming is fun, not all games benefit from it. A lot of the time, developers will try to jump on the multiplayer bandwagon and try to add a tacked on, sub-par multiplayer portion to their singleplayer game, and the both singleplayer and multiplayer portions wind up suffering since their efforts aren't well focused. As a result of this, the market gets saturated with linear, 5-hour, cakewalk-in-the-park, FPS games that have mostly generic multiplayer portions. I'd rather a developer focus their efforts of developing a game towards making either a solid singleplayer or solid multiplayer. Games that are good on both counts are very rarely made.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
no they shouldnt, there needs to be a balance otherwise it will get stale and repetitive. Oblivion, Fallout, Mass Effect are all fantastic as SP experiences and thats how they should stay, they ruined Bioshock by going online, sure it was fun, but it distracted away for the SP (an enormous strength of B1). I love online gaming, but i also love a good SP game, where you dont have to worry about other people or not being able to pause and save whenever you want
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

A lot of people play games for memorable stories and characters something a multiplayer game has never offered. I will always prefer singleplayer over multiplayer.

ill-thoughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ill-thoughts
A lot of the time, developers will try to jump on the multiplayer bandwagon and try to add a tacked on, sub-par multiplayer portion to their singleplayer game, and the both singleplayer and multiplayer portions wind up suffering since their efforts aren't well focused. As a result of this, the market gets saturated with linear, 5-hour, cakewalk-in-the-park, FPS games that have mostly generic multiplayer portions. I'd rather a developer focus their efforts of developing a game towards making either a solid singleplayer or solid multiplayer. Games that are good on both counts are very rarely made.Xeros606
i think its Pathetic that we dont hold developers to a higher standard when it comes to games. if you come out with a game that has Multiplayer and Single Player....BOTH should be EXCELLENT. 90/10 effort is just Laziness on the devs part....nothing more, nothing less...
no they shouldnt, there needs to be a balance otherwise it will get stale and repetitive. Oblivion, Fallout, Mass Effect are all fantastic as SP experiences and thats how they should stay, they ruined Bioshock by going online, sure it was fun, but it distracted away for the SPchaoscougar1
again, the idea that SP will be Ruined by MP is basically what weve come to EXPECT due to devs being Lazy with MP. we as gamers shouldnt Accept these half hearted attempts...and should Demand alot more from these companies. after all, we give them 60 bucks every month of our hard earned money for a new game. there CAN be games with Great MP and Great SP....
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#7 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

your joking right,

the minute they ditch split screen on wii /nintendo systems /sp all together is the minute i stop gaming ,

take your laggy 60 dollar fees and your screaming kids with ya have fun

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="ill-thoughts"]
no they shouldnt, there needs to be a balance otherwise it will get stale and repetitive. Oblivion, Fallout, Mass Effect are all fantastic as SP experiences and thats how they should stay, they ruined Bioshock by going online, sure it was fun, but it distracted away for the SPchaoscougar1
again, the idea that SP will be Ruined by MP is basically what weve come to EXPECT due to devs being Lazy with MP. we as gamers shouldnt Accept these half hearted attempts...and should Demand alot more from these companies. after all, we give them 60 bucks every month of our hard earned money for a new game. there CAN be games with Great MP and Great SP....

lazy? you ever tried building a game? we as gamers shouldnt accept these half hearted attempts? we are spending $60 on something they spent months working on, we as gamers should be happy when a great game comes around, not if it has perfect SP and MP. Drop your standards and be a little more realistic, who are we to demand anything? and your last sentence makes no sense...
Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

i hope not,i still enjoy some sp action

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Xeros606

[QUOTE="Xeros606"]A lot of the time, developers will try to jump on the multiplayer bandwagon and try to add a tacked on, sub-par multiplayer portion to their singleplayer game, and the both singleplayer and multiplayer portions wind up suffering since their efforts aren't well focused. As a result of this, the market gets saturated with linear, 5-hour, cakewalk-in-the-park, FPS games that have mostly generic multiplayer portions. I'd rather a developer focus their efforts of developing a game towards making either a solid singleplayer or solid multiplayer. Games that are good on both counts are very rarely made.ill-thoughts
i think its Pathetic that we dont hold developers to a higher standard when it comes to games. if you come out with a game that has Multiplayer and Single Player....BOTH should be EXCELLENT. 90/10 effort is just Laziness on the devs part....nothing more, nothing less...

Developing a game isn't easy. The biggest challenge faced by developers is time; they usually don't have more than two years to make a game(if they're lucky - when Treyarch made CoD3, they were rushed and had to do it in less than a year), and most can't exactly implement all the ideas that would go into the perfect game in the short time spans they are given. Generally, only big and well established teams like Bungie and Infinity Ward can pull of something like that.

dissembled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dissembled
Member since 2003 • 357 Posts

I agree with the OP that online gaming adds uncountable replayability to any game. And yes, nothing can match the exhilaration of playing against another human being.

Unlike some of you here though, I think that game developers should strive to add both single player and multiplayer in games. The key thing to note though is that both portions should be uncomprimised. The way to do this is to apportion equal sections of the company to both sections. I doubt they don't do this already though?

Bah. I'm struggling to even think right now because I'm completely brain dead at the moment. I'll be sure to add something of note when I finally get some sleep. :lol:

ill-thoughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ill-thoughts
take your laggy 60 dollar fees and your screaming kids with ya have funmariokart64fan
you seem a bit bitter from a past experience with online gaming lol. a good connection will usually kill lagging....and if you dont like playing with kids, gather your own crew of people who play a specific game...
we as gamers should be happy when a great game comes around, not if it has perfect SP and MP. Drop your standards and be a little more realistic, who are we to demand anything? chaoscougar1
O_O @ "who are we to Demand anything"....you are obviously not aware of the power YOU hold as a Consumer of products....we have All right to demand a Great Product...and not just accept whatevers shoveled at us in an attempt to gain our funds. but i guess with Your mindset, we'll settle for everything.... we'll settle for Crackdown 2....which basically gave us the Exact Same Game with MINOR adjustments and packaged it in a new box... we'll settle for Mafia 2...which has to be the most Questionable release this year in terms of Developer DECISIONS.... we'll settle for Madden football every year, even though the game Itself has been Unchanged the past 3 years.... i mean with That attitude, we might as well settle for everything else in our lives.... lets settle for a Mediocre Job that pays Minimum Wage and NEVER advance our position or rank.... lets settle for a Fatt Wife with STD's because shes the first one to throw herself at us... lets settle for a gassed out, Polluted Environment...because Thats Just The Way It Is...i mean who am i to say anything about it being that way....i just live here....
Vance009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vance009
Member since 2010 • 125 Posts

I know that online is all the crave but some games should be only Single player. for example Dead Space 2, the online looks ok but will not be something I will first jump in too. and also when I play online games i tend to play one or two not 20 or 30.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]take your laggy 60 dollar fees and your screaming kids with ya have funill-thoughts
you seem a bit bitter from a past experience with online gaming lol. a good connection will usually kill lagging....and if you dont like playing with kids, gather your own crew of people who play a specific game...
we as gamers should be happy when a great game comes around, not if it has perfect SP and MP. Drop your standards and be a little more realistic, who are we to demand anything? chaoscougar1
O_O @ "who are we to Demand anything"....you are obviously not aware of the power YOU hold as a Consumer of products....we have All right to demand a Great Product...and not just accept whatevers shoveled at us in an attempt to gain our funds. but i guess with Your mindset, we'll settle for everything.... we'll settle for Crackdown 2....which basically gave us the Exact Same Game with MINOR adjustments and packaged it in a new box... we'll settle for Mafia 2...which has to be the most Questionable release this year in terms of Developer DECISIONS.... we'll settle for Madden football every year, even though the game Itself has been Unchanged the past 3 years.... i mean with That attitude, we might as well settle for everything else in our lives.... lets settle for a Mediocre Job that pays Minimum Wage and NEVER advance our position or rank.... lets settle for a Fatt Wife with STD's because shes the first one to throw herself at us... lets settle for a gassed out, Polluted Environment...because Thats Just The Way It Is...i mean who am i to say anything about it being that way....i just live here....

/rant lol i might be a little aware of consumer rights as i am doing a business degree. but remind me again, who forced you to purchase any of these products? There have always been good and bad games, why do you expect and think you deserve every game released to be perfect? far out, you are reading way too much into this, settle for everything? what are you talking about? you obviously dont realise that life isnt perfect, everything has its flaws and its about trying to not focus on them and only try to improve them bit by bit. Not everyone can be CEO's and date supermodels...
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Xeros606

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]take your laggy 60 dollar fees and your screaming kids with ya have funill-thoughts

Again, I will again stress the importance of understanding that developers work within stringent boundaries, and even with all the great games you see on store shelves, the chances of actually making a game that is near perfect and pleases everyone are really small. It is simply unrealistic to expect every single game released to be a unique and innovative title filled with tons of features and top notch production. Like the poster above me said, life isn't perfect, and you're not always going to have it your way; you have to make compromises here and there. Maybe you don't want to settle for a crappy job, but being the president of a large corporation isn't exactly realistic, is it? You probably don't want to date a fat chick with STDs, but don't you think the international supermodel might be out of your league? And I doubt most people support the destruction of the environment, but who is willing to live without the comforts of modern life?

Loudli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Loudli
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts

While you have a good point ,i still think the single player is of great importance, like bioshock 2 for example didnt really need a multiplayer, I think that if there is to be a multiplayer it should not be tacked on and be put with as much care as the single player experience

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Online gaming has already materialized. The future you're referring to is NOW, present. So what is the future of gaming? Please do not say Kinect... :P
Ryuketsu2043

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ryuketsu2043
Member since 2004 • 1899 Posts

I will mainly buy games FOR the online unless its an rpg or something. I will however admit some games just do not need online..like dead space 2? Sorry that does not need online if you ask me. Put the money into the singleplayer of it. Bioshsock 2 didn't need online either if you ask me

ill-thoughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ill-thoughts
[QUOTE="Xeros606"] but every game SHOULD be Unique and Innovative...or else, it shouldnt be released...nobody wants a half hearted project....i mean really, why release a game that sucks??? EVERYONE is never going to like everything...but Half or the Majority should appreciate what has been presented...
Online gaming has already materialized. The future you're referring to is NOW, present. So what is the future of gaming?Elann2008
consoles that make breakfast...
some games just do not need online..Ryuketsu2043
no game Needs online...but all games are Better with GOOD online modes...i look at a game like Heavy Rain and i say WHAT IF they made a 1 on 1 mode where you had to play as a detective and locate another player as the Criminal....and as a criminal, you could cause chaos, kill people, steal things in an area and so on???? i would buy another ps3 just to play that game....
or force you to pay for it, ex Bad Company 2.KlownMaster
people are paying for Bad Company 2?? thats odd..considering its basically COD with destructable huts O_O and any time MP ruins a game...its because it wasnt done correctly....
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

it always Puzzles me now, in 2010, when games are released and they dont have ANY online whatsoever...

now i agree that there are some Good single player games out there...some will say Fallout, Bioshock, Batman and so on.....but imagine how GOOD these games would be if you could go ONLINE with them....it would boost the replayability by 10x or even 100x.....once youv explored every nook and cranny, collected every hidden object and so on, the game becomes BORING...and there isnt ONE GAME that you can name that is not BORING at some point once youv played it out...

ill-thoughts
um yeah i got like a hundred thats not boring. want me to say them? if so ill name a few. GTA San Andreas, Super Mario bros,2,3, world, yoshis island, most beat em ups
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

No, the death matches are too repetitive and add little to the replay of the game.

Saying the future of the gaming is on-line is like saying the future of football is only defence. Think of Football with no offence game.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#23 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

not every game requires multiplayer, from my prospective. some games dont need it and the development teams realize that.

how many games have been released with taked on multiplayer thats crap? id say at least 90%. i consider that a waste of $$$ that could've been invested to polish other areas.

ill-thoughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ill-thoughts
most games dont need MP but they would sell alot better and be Recieved by the Online Crowd alot better... and rather most people realize it or not...people who want MP make up over 50% of all gamers... i can tell you how many people said "im not buying Mafia 2 because it doesnt have online mp"....
IzzieWaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 IzzieWaru
Member since 2010 • 905 Posts

most games dont need MP but they would sell alot better and be Recieved by the Online Crowd alot better... and rather most people realize it or not...people who want MP make up over 50% of all gamers... i can tell you how many people said "im not buying Mafia 2 because it doesnt have online mp"....ill-thoughts

1. Why do you randomnly capitalize words that don't need to be capitalized?

2. Developers work on a BUDGET. If you're willing to wait longer and pay more for a game so it can have multiplayer tacked on (even if it wouldn't work well with the gameplay)...well...that doesn't make sense to me.

3. Calling developers of some of the best single player games around like Mass Effect and Bioshock "lazy" is laughable. Lazy is making a 3 hour campaign and tacking on multiplayer before throwing it on the market.

4. I'm guessing you made up the "over 50%", but while a lot of people enjoy multiplayer, no one wants it for EVERY single game on the market.

Some games work well with multiplayer, others don't. Demanding all games include it, when it would obviously inhibit a lot of games is incredibly stupid.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Single and multiplayer games need to be equal, and there needs to be bots for multiplayer games with short campaigns.

sharkbiscuit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sharkbiscuit79
Member since 2009 • 1142 Posts

Online is good but most of the titles out there with multiplayerare variations of the same game modes just in different settings. If single player went then so would my gaming days.

Easports48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Easports48
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts
Meh, Im sick of online gaming in general. Im more into the Single Player these days, with amazing storylines, and gameplay. However, I may get Halo Reach for the Multiplayer, since Im always a fan of the games.XXGamerfanXX
Same here. MP games are overrated..
Easports48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Easports48
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts

people want to play Online...they want to compete with actual human beings on their level of intelligence and cunning so as to Test Themselves and push their game to the Limit in Difficulty and Realism in gaming...they want to play with their friends and create Unforgettable Moments that can ONLY HAPPEN when you play with an actual Person. im sure All of you can name quite a few Moments in your Gaming History that have been EPIC during an onlinemultiplayer game...

now stop and think about these moments...and ask yourself...why cant these moments be created in EVERY game????

the truth is...as we venture on into Oblivion...online gaming is a MUST of the FUTURE...and ALL games Will and SHOULD be required tohave it....and anyone who doesnt think so is lying to themselves....

ill-thoughts

I disagree.

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SpArKs424
Member since 2010 • 2203 Posts

Some Games like Bioshock and Fallout and Mass effect they dont need online and Multiplayer Would ruin the Overall experiance these games are for you to feel alone and atmospheric . look at Bioshock 1 it had great Rich story , a underwater city i wanted to explore , and Bioshock 2 comes out and its Good but seems like they tried to focus on multiplayer which was a fail in my opinion .some games should be left alone not all games need Multiplayer/Co op.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#32 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

A big huge MEH from me.

I love online gaming but man every game does not need multiplayer. Look at how horrible condemened, The Darkness and other online was that they just threw on? It was complete crap.

I dont mind singleplayer only games. WHY? Well they concentrate on story and characters, which I enjoy.

All singleplayer games DONT have to have online...

Developers should do what works best for certain games. COD and HALo need online and campaign, but rpgs like Lost Odyssey and Mass Effect2 dont need that crap. TF2 needs online, thats all it is, doesnt have a singleplayer and thats fine because it does online gaming 110% awesome.

Bottomline is some of us LOVE singleplayer games where effort was put into the campaign experience.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#33 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

most games dont need MP but they would sell alot better and be Recieved by the Online Crowd alot better... and rather most people realize it or not...people who want MP make up over 50% of all gamers... i can tell you how many people said "im not buying Mafia 2 because it doesnt have online mp"....ill-thoughts

Just because your little circle of friends wants Multiplayer all the tiem doesnt mean every other gamer in the world is like that.

Some games DONT need online, period. And it peopel dont want to play games with no online then thats fine, but there will ALWAYS be people who only play singleplayer games and that wont change.

Also where is this 50% of gamers play online? I dont see a link to a source..

Some like online.. some like singleplayer.. some like both.

God I hope all games are not online focused in the future, that would suck.. wed just have COD type games and thats it, where all the do is concentrate on the multiplayer and make a 4 hour long crap singleplayer.

You need both online and singleplayer games imo.

Witchsight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Witchsight
Member since 2004 • 12145 Posts
I dont play games online. Thats not why i started playing games, and thats not what makes me want to continue. Did you ever own a SNES? :?
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="ill-thoughts"] people are paying for Bad Company 2?? thats odd..considering its basically COD with destructable huts O_O and any time MP ruins a game...its because it wasnt done correctly....

i loled
MystikRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MystikRex
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
I really hope you're joking. Not everyone wants to play online all the time you know. I personally prefer single player games as they wipe the floor with multiplayer oriented games any day. I'd much rather have a great story, characters and world to inhabit than just running around killing everyone else or being forced to rely on complete strangers.
Avatar image for _SOULtoSQUEEZE_
_SOULtoSQUEEZE_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 _SOULtoSQUEEZE_
Member since 2007 • 1495 Posts

even though i agree any game could be made better with a good multiplayer mode, its just not realistic to expect every game to have it. and its not the devs being lazy. some developers just arent talented enough or creative enough to make a good game, and alot of other devs simply just dont have the money or resources to.

ill-thoughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ill-thoughts
someone said something about Fallout 3. i loved the Idea of Fallout and enjoyed the game...for about 10 minutes....then it just became Deathly Boring to me...i couldnt help but wonder how much more FUN that game would have been for me if i could go Online and possibly compete with other people with my customized character...seemed like a very missed opportunity.
Did you ever own a SNES? :?Witchsight
nah, i was always a sega fanatic....but i can name Many games that i Thoroughly enjoyed....which were all a Blast when they were played with other people....notably, NBA Live 2000, Madden, Sonic, Golden Eye and so on....Online MP for those games would have been Insanely fun...
kinectionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kinectionz
Member since 2010 • 39 Posts
I agree, online gaming just provides soo much more play value to a game its rediculous. But I do think the gaming industry is heading in the right direction, there are more online games coming out now than ever before.
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Xeros606
[QUOTE="ill-thoughts"] but every game SHOULD be Unique and Innovative...or else, it shouldnt be released...nobody wants a half hearted project....i mean really, why release a game that sucks??? EVERYONE is never going to like everything...but Half or the Majority should appreciate what has been presented...

Like I've said before, realistically, not every single game released is going to be perfect. No matter how much a developer cares about a game and no matter how much work they're willing to put into it, there are things working against them; it's just not always going to happen and if a game isn't perfect, it isn't always because the people behind the game are bad/lazy developers, or because they don't care. If only "perfect" games were ever allowed to see store shelves, we'd probably only get a handful of new releases every year.
MystikRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MystikRex
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts

someone said something about Fallout 3. i loved the Idea of Fallout and enjoyed the game...for about 10 minutes....then it just became Deathly Boring to me...i couldnt help but wonder how much more FUN that game would have been for me if i could go Online and possibly compete with other people with my customized character...seemed like a very missed opportunity. [QUOTE="Witchsight"]Did you ever own a SNES? :?ill-thoughts
nah, i was always a sega fanatic....but i can name Many games that i Thoroughly enjoyed....which were all a Blast when they were played with other people....notably, NBA Live 2000, Madden, Sonic, Golden Eye and so on....Online MP for those games would have been Insanely fun...

I seriously doubt that when you were playing your Mega Drive you were thinking "wow these would be great online with strangers!".

Yes there were multiplayer games back then but you played them with friends in the same room. These days the majority of multiplayer is online and you don't need to spend much time on XBL (I have a 360) to bump into the worst dregs of society. And of course if you play without a headset people just kick you out the room.

I don't know many gamers but the ones I do know all play games I hate so I can't play online with them. I grew up playing single player on Mega Drive, Windows 95, GameBoy, PS1 and PS2. It will always be what I prefer.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#42 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I agree with everyone who doesn't need it as an requirement for games.

chaosflare44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 chaosflare44
Member since 2009 • 601 Posts

To make every game have online would be stupid. Adding multiplayer takes away resources that would ordinarily be used to make the single player better, and vise versa. The result is both single and multiplayer suffer. Its not because the developers are "lazy" or "uncreative", its that they just don't have enough resources.

Think of it like this. You have $100, you can either use all of to make a great single/multi player experience, or you can split it 50/50 and end up with a game that has both single and multiplayer, but both are half as good as they could have been.

Whats more, even if you had plenty of resources, the simple fact is, not every game would be fun with multiplayer. Games with heavy dialogue a la Mass Effect would be boring for the second player as they would be stuck waiting while first player talks to the NPCs, horror games, are never as scary with multiplayer, just compare RE 5 to Dead Space or Alan Wake, then there is your example, Heavy Rain. Not only would making a second player control the murderer make Heavy Rain a completely different game, (a player is not obligated to make the same decisions as the origami killer, thus it would be impossible to make a coherent story) but it would be completely obvious who the murderer is. Since there are only two players, if your not the murderer, that must mean the other player is.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Xeros606

To make every game have online would be stupid. Adding multiplayer takes away resources that would ordinarily be used to make the single player better, and vise versa. The result is both single and multiplayer suffer. Its not because the developers are "lazy" or "uncreative", its that they just don't have enough resources.

Think of it like this. You have $100, you can either use all of to make a great single/multi player experience, or you can split it 50/50 and end up with a game that has both single and multiplayer, but both are half as good as they could have been.

chaosflare44

This is a more straightforward way of saying what I've been saying in this thread.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chaoscougar1
someone said something about Fallout 3. i loved the Idea of Fallout and enjoyed the game...for about 10 minutes....then it just became Deathly Boring to me...i couldnt help but wonder how much more FUN that game would have been for me if i could go Online and possibly compete with other people with my customized character...seemed like a very missed opportunity.ill-thoughts
i think the only missed opportunity was you playing fallout 3 for only 10 minutes and then thinking you know of ways to improve the game
Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

The future is in couch co-op bro. Do you not remember Super Contra? That game came out a few days ago, and it's GREAT!

/sarcasm