The fight to bring Golden Eye 007 to XBLA continues...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#1 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

http://mundorare.com/news/2008/10/one-last-martini-to-goldeneye/

Yeah, it was the 1st FPS I've played, and I find it crazy that these guys can't get along, then again, they're greedy.

Here's a video of the XBLA version of Golden Eye 007 with better graphics, it brings back memories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_iLkIJ9Yg

dazza_avo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dazza_avo
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts

why is this game rated so highly?

it sucks

sToK3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sToK3d
Member since 2006 • 418 Posts
Nostalgia is not a dish best served cold. This game was amazing during it's debut and consequent years, but I doubt many people will truly enjoy it after all the improvements that have been done to FPS's over the years. It might be fun for a little while, but then you'll remember there are other games as well.
dazza_avo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dazza_avo

Why bother bringing it out for 360?

people will be thinking:

should i play goldeneye or cod 4?

goldeneye will never get played.

Avatar image for TIE_Elite_Pilot
TIE_Elite_Pilot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 TIE_Elite_Pilot
Member since 2004 • 829 Posts
I hope one day it finally makes it onto XBLA. I'd finally be able to retire my N64 if it did. and yes, I still have the 64 kicking around, with 4 controllers just fr this game (OoT and Majora's Mask I have on the GCube disk that came with the platinum colored system).
Avatar image for deactivated-59da85d821feb
deactivated-59da85d821feb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-59da85d821feb
Member since 2006 • 2075 Posts

people will be thinking:

dazza_avo

You obviously never played in in it's heyday on the N64.

And it will be an arcade game. Not a disc release. So it's more like "Should I play Goldeneye or Doom?"

VegetaJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VegetaJr
Member since 2006 • 1437 Posts
Nintendo really does rub me the wrong way on this one. We've been begging for a VC release for a long time, if allowing MS to have a graphically updated remake is the way to do it, THEN DO IT. If they think graphics aren't what matters, but game play is, then they shouldn't get hung up over the XBLA version looking better.
dazza_avo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dazza_avo
[QUOTE="dazza_avo"]

people will be thinking:

comeonthehoops

And it will be an arcade game. Not a disc release. So it's more like "Should I play Goldeneye or Doom?"

1. Yes i did play it in its "heyday". it was nothing special.

2. I know it's not a disc release. doesn't mean you can't choose a disc game over it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59da85d821feb
[QUOTE="comeonthehoops"][QUOTE="dazza_avo"]

people will be thinking:

dazza_avo

2. I know it's not a disc release. doesn't mean you can't choose a disc game over it.

If you played it back in the nineties, then you would at least acknowledge it as being a revolution in console FPS games, even if it wasn't to your taste. I still don't think you played it, or at least didn't complete it and play multiplayer a lot.

And why would you compare a £40 game to a £10 one? That's just silly. Obviously the £40 will probably be bigger and better. But many gamers will just want a game that's good value for money. That's why xbla is so successful - it has many high quality, cheap games that appeal to casuals and the hardcore alike.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#10 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts
Golden eye was good back than since there was nothing on the n64, but it does suck today. Just like doom, controls are dated and pointless to play
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#12 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Nostalgia is not a dish best served cold. This game was amazing during it's debut and consequent years, but I doubt many people will truly enjoy it after all the improvements that have been done to FPS's over the years. It might be fun for a little while, but then you'll remember there are other games as well.sToK3d

I agree. It would be nice to have on XBLA for some people but why people want the game so much confuses me. It was a great game when it came out and for a while after but FPS games age much faster than RTS, Platform, or RPG games do. Like you said I'm sure it would be fun for a little while but what would keep us playing it? Most of the people who want the game to come out can just hook up their N64 and play it, I don't know why they want to pay for it again.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

All of this because of incorrectly filed paperwork

If the licenses were transferred correctly none of this would be happening right now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59da85d821feb

[QUOTE="sToK3d"]Nostalgia is not a dish best served cold. This game was amazing during it's debut and consequent years, but I doubt many people will truly enjoy it after all the improvements that have been done to FPS's over the years. It might be fun for a little while, but then you'll remember there are other games as well.Legolas_Katarn

I agree. It would be nice to have on XBLA for some people but why people want the game so much confuses me. It was a great game when it came out and for a while after but FPS games age much faster than RTS, Platform, or RPG games do. Like you said I'm sure it would be fun for a little while but what would keep us playing it? Most of the people who want the game to come out can just hook up their N64 and play it, I don't know why they want to pay for it again.

I see your point... But I really enjoyed playing through some of the old N64 games on my friend's Wii. I completed Ocarina of Time, Mario 64 and Paper Mario and they were every bit as fun as they were back in the day. I also plan on getting Banjo Kazooie for xbla next month.

dazza_avo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dazza_avo
[QUOTE="dazza_avo"][QUOTE="comeonthehoops"][QUOTE="dazza_avo"]

people will be thinking:

comeonthehoops

If you played it back in the nineties, then you would at least acknowledge it as being a revolution in console FPS games, even if it wasn't to your taste. I still don't think you played it, or at least didn't complete it and play multiplayer a lot.

And why would you compare a £40 game to a £10 one? That's just silly. Obviously the £40 will probably be bigger and better. But many gamers will just want a game that's good value for money. That's why xbla is so successful - it has many high quality, cheap games that appeal to casuals and the hardcore alike.

I don't car whether or no you think ive played it.

and i wasn't comparing the 2 games. i was comparing how much a gamer would want to play each of them.

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
I want the game so bad. Let's get Perfect Dark while we're at it.
vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts
The game hasn't aged very well for me. And if i really wanted to play it my N64 still works fine.
MARINE_B0Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MARINE_B0Y
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
i would prefer Perfect Dark than Goldeneye as an xbla
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mitu123

I want the game so bad. Let's get Perfect Dark while we're at it.Mau-Justice
Yeah, Perfect Dark was better than GoldenEye 007 IMO, and this link proves that it could come to XBLA:

http://www.gamegrep.com/rumor/12314-rare_acknowledges_ten_games_for_the_360/

arctrooper48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 arctrooper48
Member since 2006 • 1427 Posts

Nintendo really does rub me the wrong way on this one. We've been begging for a VC release for a long time, if allowing MS to have a graphically updated remake is the way to do it, THEN DO IT. If they think graphics aren't what matters, but game play is, then they shouldn't get hung up over the XBLA version looking better.VegetaJr

Your sig made me lol hard.

I would rather have graphics than a ****** control system. What's the point of gameplay when it's horribly executed?

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]

[QUOTE="sToK3d"]Nostalgia is not a dish best served cold. This game was amazing during it's debut and consequent years, but I doubt many people will truly enjoy it after all the improvements that have been done to FPS's over the years. It might be fun for a little while, but then you'll remember there are other games as well.comeonthehoops

I see your point... But I really enjoyed playing through some of the old N64 games on my friend's Wii. I completed Ocarina of Time, Mario 64 and Paper Mario and they were every bit as fun as they were back in the day. I also plan on getting Banjo Kazooie for xbla next month.

That's what I mean, I would still play those games you mentioned because they were great when they came out and are still great. I bought Paper Mario on my Wii and played Mario 64 on the DS recently, I might pick up Banjo too. But those are the kind of games I mentioned that age well. When I played Goldeneye the first time I liked it because the controls worked well, I liked how you could aim and shoot certain parts of the body, all the weapons, I liked the short parts where you had people fighting with you, it was one of the first console shooters that was done really well, and if I had people to play with I would have enjoyed the multiplayer. None of that is hard to find now in newer games.

drunkenyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 drunkenyak
Member since 2008 • 165 Posts
I had a blast playing that game back in the N64 days. I'd love to see it hit XBLA as long as they add in online multi-player and keep the local play. 8)
KamikazeDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#23 KamikazeDonut
Member since 2008 • 3016 Posts
nintendo you bastards this could have been the one game that actually made people use your stupid VC crap.
rattlersorsaei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rattlersorsaei
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
What drukenyak said about a multiplayer was pretty cool but i say leave it on the 64 and bring some more calssic arcade games i did have a lot of fun playing 007 with my friends and if i wanted to play i could hook up my 64.
DarkDemon91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 DarkDemon91
Member since 2006 • 770 Posts
Golden Eye 007....ahhh those were the good ol' days. Brings back some good memories.
SR71halo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 205

#26 SR71halo
Member since 2006 • 7799 Posts

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?rare007

Sign that petition, it might help.

And no one would play Goldeneye? Even if we do have Halo 3 and COD4, there are still people who claim that Goldeneye is the best FPS ever. Many people would play Goldeneye, especially if you gave it online play.

Oh, and I think Nintendo and Microsoft should put the game on both consoles. The Wii version would more than likely be untouched and the 360 version, of course, would be updated. That way, people can decide on what they would rather get (the original version or the updated one).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 9480473
Member since 2006 • 61 Posts

First of all if you didnt think that golden eye wasnt the best game ever made for the N64 then you didnt play it for long enough it was the best second you cant chose a disk game over it because disk chosing that disk game would require you to get up find the game then put it in where as golden eye or any other arcade game you just go to your game libray and pick a game

EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 EnderSR388
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts

Have you played Goldeneye since 1997? Just curious, because this game really isn't that great. I played it on a N64 at my friends recently and it's actually pretty awful. It was awesome back then because we didn't know any better.

I'd rather see Perfect Dark on XBLA then Goldeneye, honestly.

FalcoLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FalcoLX
Member since 2007 • 4452 Posts
Most games don't age well. This one was no exception.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mitu123

Have you played Goldeneye since 1997? Just curious, because this game really isn't that great. I played it on a N64 at my friends recently and it's actually pretty awful. It was awesome back then because we didn't know any better.

I'd rather see Perfect Dark on XBLA then Goldeneye, honestly.

EnderSR388

I played it in 1997, it was my 1st FPS after all. Here's your chance of Perfect Dark(which is better than GD007) on XBLA:

http://www.gamegrep.com/rumor/12314-rare_acknowledges_ten_games_for_the_360/

thisguy51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thisguy51
Member since 2006 • 5319 Posts
I loved the game back then but can't we just let it die? We have so many better FPS's now. If your that passionate about playing it, well...there are other means of doing it.
SR71halo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 205

#32 SR71halo
Member since 2006 • 7799 Posts
Perfect Dark is overrated, and yes I have played Goldeneye since 1997, and it's still good. Besides, the controls would also be a major improvement if on the 360.
kinger256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 kinger256
Member since 2005 • 1770 Posts
Awsome game back in the late 90`s. First FPS I played. Would definitely buy it of XBLA
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mitu123

Perfect Dark is overrated, and yes I have played Goldeneye since 1997, and it's still good. Besides, the controls would also be a major improvement if on the 360.SR71halo
What's so overrated about Perfect Dark?

To those who don't want this game on XBLA and just the N64: That's fine, you don't need to have/play it on XBLA, but I never owned this game, I played it at my cousin's house for numerous hours, both single and multiplayer. There's a reason why they port old games like Streets of Rage 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and more to XBLA: Because there are still people who play these games(like me), and I'm a very, very old school gamer. I download lots of games on the VC because I missed some old games that can be hard to find, in fact, Sin and Punishment was released only in Japan on the N64 and it finally came to America on the VC.

That's really all I have to say.

diasflac1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 diasflac1985
Member since 2008 • 44 Posts
yea comeonthehoop is risght. you cant compare an xbla game to a disc realease. I dont see an xbla game that is better so why not bring it on there?
Astrapsody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Astrapsody
Member since 2008 • 2247 Posts
Sure there are games that are considered "better" than Golden Eye 007, but if it came out, I would definitely buy it. Why? Because it's fun. Just because there are other FPS's that are "better", doesn't mean that this game is any less fun.
Avatar image for The_Dark_Jester
The_Dark_Jester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 The_Dark_Jester
Member since 2003 • 1649 Posts
I did love Goldeneye, but honestly I would love to see Perfect Dark released though. I never played Perfect Dark Zero was it any good?
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mitu123
I did love Goldeneye, but honestly I would love to see Perfect Dark released though. I never played Perfect Dark Zero was it any good?The_Dark_Jester
Perfect Dark Zero is ok at best, but there are better shooters out there.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#39 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts

why is this game rated so highly?

it sucks

dazza_avo
When it came out it was the premier FPS of the year.
rattlersorsaei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rattlersorsaei
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I love this game its phenomenal maybe they can beef up the graphics to 1080 and put it on xbox live I think that would be cool?

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mitu123

I love this game its phenomenal maybe they can beef up the graphics to 1080 and put it on xbox live I think that would be cool?

rattlersorsaei
Agreed.
sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#42 sixgears2
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts
Nostalgia is not a dish best served cold. This game was amazing during it's debut and consequent years, but I doubt many people will truly enjoy it after all the improvements that have been done to FPS's over the years. It might be fun for a little while, but then you'll remember there are other games as well.sToK3d
I agree. I have played a lot of older games that I remember as amazing from the first time I played them only to find them severely disappointing in light of this generation's advances. Games like Goldeneye should be remembered for what they contributed to gaming, but they may not be quite as great today as you remember them.
Avatar image for decepticondevil
decepticondevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 decepticondevil
Member since 2003 • 3607 Posts

I'd really like to see this released fot XBLA. I remember the first time I played Halo CE after all my friends were tlaking about what an amazing game it was all I could think was "Yeah, it's okay but it's no Goldeneye."

I feel the same to this day. I would much rather play Goldeneye (escpecially a beefed up version) than any of the Halo games any day of the week.

Also, I agree that they should just release it on both XBLA and VC and be done with it. They both have their own approaches; VC is very retro and keep the games as close to the original as possible, and XBLA has a tendency to "remake" the games or update them. If each does that with Goldeneye then what's the problem? I highly doubt anyone would buy one system over the other just to play that one game, so it's not going to be a console seller.

dthach614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dthach614
Member since 2008 • 804 Posts
i supported nintendo all the way up to gamecube and was very disapointed with the gamecube. this is the final nail in the coffin for my support for nintendo. i was thinking about buying a wii for zelda and also because my xbox 360 is broken at this time. but nope nintendo will never get another penny from me
DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

Meh

I dont really care anymore

There are a lot better shooters out there now.