The Broken XBOX 360 Discussion & Help Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Elite29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 334

User Lists: 0

#151 Elite29
Member since 2004 • 178 Posts

why do 90%+ of posters with broken 360's have less than 30 posts?rdo

Because maybe there are better things to do in life than post here over 7,100 times.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts
why do 90%+ of posters with broken 360's have less than 30 posts?rdo
I assume that your implication is that these are false claims, that this is the console equivalent of en masse character assassination. Anything's possible, sure, but do you really think that's what's going on here? This many people? Maybe these people with so few posts are coming here because until now they didn't have anything so important / upsetting to post before.
XHuskersX26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 XHuskersX26
Member since 2004 • 402 Posts
Just got my 360 a month ago and already I have a problem. It wont read any 360 disc, Music cds it reads just fine but if I put in Saints Row or NCAA 07 nothing.  It doesn't give me a disc read error or anything. It just acts as if nothing was put in the tray. Called MS and they want to send it to Texas to get it fix. Its under warranty and all but WTF. One F**king month and it already it busted! I must have played a total of 20 hours on it before this sh*t happen. This is f**king ridiculous. I don't care if it is getting fix for free. I still have to send my 400 hundred dollar investment to Texas because MS built a P.O.S. How the f**k can they get away with this.
r3dhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 r3dhead
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Well, I too have now fell victim to this garbage that I call my system. I purchased my Xbox 360, roughly, 5 months ago and had only bought 1 game the day I picked up the box (Fight Night RD 3). That is the only game to ever touch my Xbox 360. I may have logged 30 hrs total on this system and thats pushing it. So, yesterday I go out and purchase NHL 07... a game I have been dieing and waiting on end to get. Well, I come home and pop it in the system and sure enough it wont go past the menu screen, the box isnt reading ANY of my discs. I also borrowed PGR off of a buddy that day and it wouldnt load either.

So, now I have this 5lb box of garbage that I'm going to have to pay to have shipped to MS because I felt I didnt need the extended warranty at the time of purchase... for some reason I had put a tremendous ammount of faith in Mircrosoft and the 'quality' of their product's.

Down with Gates!!!!

XHuskersX26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 XHuskersX26
Member since 2004 • 402 Posts

Anyone remember back in the day when sh*t actually work for more then a month. I would not put it past MS if they purposely made defaults just so the could rake in cash and even more on extended warranty.

hornymushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#156 hornymushroom
Member since 2006 • 714 Posts
this may seems stupid but how do you know your xbox 360 have problems . im talking about strange sounds or alot of disk scratches. i think mine is broken.  some help would be apreciated thanks
FooFighter145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 FooFighter145
Member since 2003 • 415 Posts

CRAP!!!

I was sitting here pretty smug thinking I lucked out and got a keeper...

Today without warning I'm sifting through my XBOX LIve Marketplace to download some demos and wham...a weird sound like audio scratching and chirping, then the video goes garbage onscreen, kinda like artifacting on a PC if there is overheating or GPU errors and then wham lockup..

So I try to restart...Nothing...

Power down and up again....3 Rings of Red AHHHH!!!!

I am dumfounded...I have kept this machine in pristine shape...non smoker, 33 year old gamer..this has to be manufacturer issues.

Anyways, the Cost of repair is now $139.90...I'd better get a pristine one back or my fixed original

What's sad is my Atari 2600 still works....yeah, the one I've kept in my attic over 25 years :(

milsvaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#158 milsvaard
Member since 2003 • 1928 Posts
I had a very scary problem with my 360, i had just turned the 360 on for the first time in the day and the unthinkable happened, the 3 lights of death accompanied by the black screen and the message "General Hardware Failure, contact system manufacturer" in many languages. This was the first time it happened since i bought my 360 but it wasnt the first time i had experienced problems, interestingly enough, all the trouble started ever since i bought a Nyko Intercooler to help keep temperatures down. Suddenly i remembered something i read in the customer reviews of the Nyko Intercooler, some ppl had been experiencing problems with this product since it didnt supply the xbox360 with a steady current of power (the power supply is connected to the intercooler and IT supplies the 360). So i disconnected the Nyko Intercooler and been playing ever since without problems. I was fortunate enought to have figured out the problem quickly and i imagine that most ppl that bought the intercooler havent had problems with it but i think im staying away from that cooling solution and any other similar cooling solution.
rovershack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 rovershack
Heck, just bypass the MS extended warranty and use the store's. Both Sam's Club and Costco have excellent 360 packages and both of the stores have POSTED 100% satisfaction guarantees at the customer service counter. Never deal with MS again, just take your system back to Costco and let them deal with Microsoft.  They just end up returning the units to MS anyway, and they will end up at some store as a refurb later down the road.

I know they stand by their word, because I took a $600 grill that rusted out in 2 years back to Sam's. They gave me my money back no questioned asked. I have had similar experiences at Costco.

Yes, they both cost money for membership, but that's less than the price of a regular extended warranty.
JoelWhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#160 JoelWhy
Member since 2006 • 82 Posts
Heck, just bypass the MS extended warranty and use the store's. Both Sam's Club and Costco have excellent 360 packages and both of the stores have POSTED 100% satisfaction guarantees at the customer service counter. Never deal with MS again, just take your system back to Costco and let them deal with Microsoft.  They just end up returning the units to MS anyway, and they will end up at some store as a refurb later down the road.

I know they stand by their word, because I took a $600 grill that rusted out in 2 years back to Sam's. They gave me my money back no questioned asked. I have had similar experiences at Costco.

Yes, they both cost money for membership, but that's less than the price of a regular extended warranty.
rovershack
Great idea...too bad I already own this POS console. But, on the bright side, the damn thing heats up so much, at least I can use it to heat the house through the winter.
Mineut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Mineut
Thank god. Finally some place were we can talk about our busted 360s.bigroy666
do 360s get busted alot? i mean if i get 1 is there a high chance that it will break?
Mineut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Mineut
actually, if you ask me I would try getting a surge protector, like for PCs, and cool the system down with a small fan, that always worked with my dads old 2000 5 years ago. try it if your worried.
duongdo4119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 duongdo4119
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

my xbox 360 does not run as microsoft declare

i think it is not good when i play dead rising game

Avatar image for UrDaddy96_basic
UrDaddy96_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 UrDaddy96_basic
Member since 2002 • 2544 Posts
My 360 just started the get the 1 red light flashing before it boots up. I know what everyone is going to say "call M$" but I just want to know what it is before I call in the morning.
JoelWhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 JoelWhy
[QUOTE="bigroy666"]Thank god. Finally some place were we can talk about our busted 360s.Mineut
do 360s get busted alot? i mean if i get 1 is there a high chance that it will break?

The systems are dropping like flies. If you buy one, you'd better get the extended warranty. But, I highly recommend that you don't buy this console. Even w/ the warranty, you still have to deal w/ sending the console back to MS and then fighting with their customer service department to do ANYTHING they're supposed to do.
r3dhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 r3dhead
So, today I called Microsoft with regards to my non-working 360 and let me say... the customer service was suprisingly good! No waiting on the phone, I got connected to their tech right away. I detailed my problem to him, he tried to guide me through a few trouble shooting steps, which didnt work. So, I gave him my serial # and he replied that I'd have a new 360 in the mail within 1 - 4 buisness days, no questions asked. Cant really beat that!
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#168 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
I should receive my fixed 360 early next week.:)
caiaphas143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 caiaphas143
Member since 2006 • 36 Posts
[QUOTE="rovershack"]Heck, just bypass the MS extended warranty and use the store's. Both Sam's Club and Costco have excellent 360 packages and both of the stores have POSTED 100% satisfaction guarantees at the customer service counter. Never deal with MS again, just take your system back to Costco and let them deal with Microsoft.  They just end up returning the units to MS anyway, and they will end up at some store as a refurb later down the road.

JoelWhy
Great idea...too bad I already own this POS console. But, on the bright side, the damn thing heats up so much, at least I can use it to heat the house through the winter.

Look, you don't own a 360 . you know it and I know it. Yes it's popular these days to bash Microsoft but give it a rest. You're never going to scare people out of making a purchase with constant "Xbox sucks" posts so just head back to your regular forum and use your regular account.
JoelWhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 JoelWhy
Look, you don't own a 360 . you know it and I know it. Yes it's popular these days to bash Microsoft but give it a rest. You're never going to scare people out of making a purchase with constant "Xbox sucks" posts so just head back to your regular forum and use your regular account. caiaphas143
You fanboys are pathetic. I'll post this yet again (and I'm going to keep posting it) not because I think it will shut you up, but because I know it makes you lemmings cringe every time you see an objective third-party reporting on the epidemic of 360s overheating: This from an article written in May by IGN.com: "At last count, nine Xbox 360s that belong to IGN editors have completely crashed. Two editors, Hilary Goldstein and Jessica Chobot, have had TWO systems go kaput." This week, IGN posted a few letters from people w/ 360 problems. Nothing we didn't know already ("we" meaning "everybody but the fanboys,") but it's good to see a reputable video game website keeping the pressure on Microsoft. Here's part of the IGN editor's response: "...it's been my experience that, over the last 10 years, there has never been anything like the upswelling of people with broken Xbox 360 systems. People never complained about Nintendo's systems, which are almost indestructible, or Microsoft's first system, which we hit with a bat and didn't break. In fact, the bat broke. Sony's PS 1 had overheating problems, and Sony's PS2 had a bad second shipment and several bad disc drives in its shipments. But nothing appears to be as bad as Microsoft's Xbox 360..."
gold_elite420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 gold_elite420
Member since 2004 • 122 Posts
[QUOTE="gold_elite420"]

I purchased my 360 on launch day.  Last night i was playing saints row for a bit and turned off the console for dinner.  Upon my return i pushed the on button and to my suprise i see three flashing red lights (top and bottom left and lower right).  I turned off the console and unplugged all of the wires and replugged them and still i get the red lights.  I called microsoft and they troubleshooted me threw the same steps but adding that i should try and remove the hard drive, turn on the system, and if it works to turn it off again and replace the hard drive.  This actually worked at first and i was happy has hell until it decided to freeze up on me.  When i restarted it the red lights returned.  What im trying to get at is that they said i was covered under warranty ( i purcharsed it at launch) and that they'll send me a box to send the 360 in for repair.....problem is that my xbox 360 wants to work now..... no matter how many times i turn if off and restart the system i seem to get the standard green ring.  What should i do?  Send it back, call them and ask, or keep it and pretty much wait for it to crash again?  im afraid that if i send it back then they will see that it boots with the green rings and they'll return it to me.  Ive also noticed that my xbox 360 is louder now that it boots up...almost like a loud humming sound coming from the inside.  Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated! 

JoelWhy

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your system will be...how should I put this...uhmmm, did you see Old Yeller? Well, your system will be at peace with Old Yeller very soon. You're console is doing almost EXACTLY what mine did before she croaked. I had actually forgotten about the humming sound until you mentioned it. (If you listen very closely, I think your console's actually humming a funeral hymn.)

Did you buy the extended warranty?

I did buy the extended warranty but check this out....i started noticing that i can play single player with all of my games.....my system ONLY freezes during online multiplayer....when i restart the system i get the red lights.  I called ms back with this little bit of info and the person on the line seemed alittle suprised about this.  After being on hold for dang near a half an hour he came back on the line saying that there seems to be a problem not only with my console but my hard drive as well.  I would have to send them both in.  Upon hearing this i stressed the the guy that i wanted all of my saved data but he told me everything would be deleted!  The only thing that would stay is my gamerscore and gamertag.  Does this mean that all of my achievements will be deleted or is that impossible if my gamerscore will be saved?  Has anyone else had to go threw this???  The thing that really stresses me is that on the  shipping box it CLEARLY states that if you send any assessories to ms they will NOT be returned.  What if i send in my xbox360 w/ hard drive and i get it back with no hard drive?  Even worse...what if i get it back and i cant log onto my xbox live account or i have to start over with a new gamer tag???!!  i wouldnt stress it if i didnt have a close 12000+ score!!  Thanks for listening and trying to help a fellow x360 gamer. 

r3dhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 r3dhead
[QUOTE="JoelWhy"][QUOTE="gold_elite420"]

I purchased my 360 on launch day.  Last night i was playing saints row for a bit and turned off the console for dinner.  Upon my return i pushed the on button and to my suprise i see three flashing red lights (top and bottom left and lower right).  I turned off the console and unplugged all of the wires and replugged them and still i get the red lights.  I called microsoft and they troubleshooted me threw the same steps but adding that i should try and remove the hard drive, turn on the system, and if it works to turn it off again and replace the hard drive.  This actually worked at first and i was happy has hell until it decided to freeze up on me.  When i restarted it the red lights returned.  What im trying to get at is that they said i was covered under warranty ( i purcharsed it at launch) and that they'll send me a box to send the 360 in for repair.....problem is that my xbox 360 wants to work now..... no matter how many times i turn if off and restart the system i seem to get the standard green ring.  What should i do?  Send it back, call them and ask, or keep it and pretty much wait for it to crash again?  im afraid that if i send it back then they will see that it boots with the green rings and they'll return it to me.  Ive also noticed that my xbox 360 is louder now that it boots up...almost like a loud humming sound coming from the inside.  Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated! 

gold_elite420

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your system will be...how should I put this...uhmmm, did you see Old Yeller? Well, your system will be at peace with Old Yeller very soon. You're console is doing almost EXACTLY what mine did before she croaked. I had actually forgotten about the humming sound until you mentioned it. (If you listen very closely, I think your console's actually humming a funeral hymn.)

Did you buy the extended warranty?

I did buy the extended warranty but check this out....i started noticing that i can play single player with all of my games.....my system ONLY freezes during online multiplayer....when i restart the system i get the red lights.  I called ms back with this little bit of info and the person on the line seemed alittle suprised about this.  After being on hold for dang near a half an hour he came back on the line saying that there seems to be a problem not only with my console but my hard drive as well.  I would have to send them both in.  Upon hearing this i stressed the the guy that i wanted all of my saved data but he told me everything would be deleted!  The only thing that would stay is my gamerscore and gamertag.  Does this mean that all of my achievements will be deleted or is that impossible if my gamerscore will be saved?  Has anyone else had to go threw this???  The thing that really stresses me is that on the  shipping box it CLEARLY states that if you send any assessories to ms they will NOT be returned.  What if i send in my xbox360 w/ hard drive and i get it back with no hard drive?  Even worse...what if i get it back and i cant log onto my xbox live account or i have to start over with a new gamer tag???!!  i wouldnt stress it if i didnt have a close 12000+ score!!  Thanks for listening and trying to help a fellow x360 gamer. 

That sucks dude! I would try to explain/demand to them that it is imperative you keep your saved data and that it is their fault that this system is f*cking up! I would tell them to mail you a new HDD asap so you can transfer the data over. Remember, you are the consumer and they value you as a customer. If you cause enough of a fuss, I'm sure you can get something sorted out... and if not, it was worth the try!
Fyoung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#173 Fyoung
Member since 2004 • 60 Posts

My Xbox 360 broke down on me Tuesday. I had my 360 for exactly six months. It played perfect. I didn't have any problems with it at all. I put Oblivion in and played it for about hour. It started freezing up. I just resetted it. It did this 3 times. On the third time I couldn't get my 360 back on. I couldn't even get the xbox title up on my tv screen. I got the three red rings of light. Its very disappointing to have a new console that you like and to have it break down on you in only three months. I own a ps1, ps2, gamecube, original xbox. I've never had a system to break down this quick. I''ve only played maybe 300 hours on my 360.

I put this up so if this happens to you don't feel bad. You're not the only one. I did call Microsoft they told me that they would fix it for free. I'm  supposed to receive a box to mail to Texas. They told me it would probaly take 11 days. I wish that if there is a problem with the system that they would solve the problem not just for me but for everybody.

gamespotid26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 gamespotid26
Member since 2006 • 93 Posts
My first 360 lasted for about a month and a half and then the 3rlod. Took it back to target and after fighting for my hard drive they just saying no. I got a new 360 and recovered my gamertag and they gave me my gamerscore and all my achivments as well. BUT, three weeks later my second one blew up. Got my money back and am now waiting for the ps3. Its a shame too cause I loved my 360. I hope the ps3s wont have problems (knocking on wood.)
TheTrystero024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 TheTrystero024
Member since 2006 • 567 Posts
guys, I just got my 360 and I just want to ask...How do you clear the cache of your hard drive?
PowerstrokeGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 PowerstrokeGT
Member since 2004 • 907 Posts
18 pages of problems is ridiculous. There will be a class action suit agianst them. Its only a matter of time. It depends on how long it takes some people to get together and get a lawyer.
McMurmur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 McMurmur
Member since 2005 • 1427 Posts
Alright guys, time to come straight: I bought another 360.  I happened upon some money and was inclined to spend it on some gaming ventures; the 360 being one of them.  But before I actually opened the box, I called Microsoft and attempted to nab a free 2 year warranty out of them.  They didn't give in, but they did offer PGR3 as consolation. I figure a new, unopened PGR3 should rake in a good enough amount to cover the cost of an extended warranty.  It was the Samsung 50'', it kept calling and calling. I couldn't ignore. I won't hesitate to return this machine if it does malfunction again, but if it doesn't.....

that's cool with me!
h0dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 h0dge
Member since 2003 • 34 Posts
My 360 started freezing yesterday.  It now freezes within 2-3 minutes of starting any game.

I called Microsoft support today and was asked to pay $140 for the repair.  I then asked for a customer service supervisor, who indicated the best he could do was to knock 25% off the repair cost (which still leaves it in the $100+ range).  The company line appears to be:

- it's beyond the 3 month warranty
- you should have bought an extended warranty
- it's $140, but "it's the fastest support turnaround in the industry"

I asked for a callback from a higher level support person.  I'm supposed to receive that callback within 24-72 business hours.

FYI. I think the amount they knock off the repair cost is based on the # of months you've owned the system.  I'd guess that those who've had it 3-6 months will be offered either free repair or 50% off repair, while those beyond 6 months will receive 25% off repair.

I'm incredibly disheartened by Microsoft's response.  After spending over $1000 on my system, accessories, games, subscriptions, etc, it's insulting to be asked to fork over $140 for a refurbished system.

:(
tfoxwell1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 tfoxwell1
Member since 2004 • 64 Posts

Someone I know has gone as far as starting a website due to the constant problem's he's had with his 360's.  He just put the site up a day ago.  If you read the "about me" section it gives a good explanation of why the site has been started.  It definately sucks considering I've had my 360 since launch as well as my brother in law and neither of us has had any problems.  You'll have to check it out sometime.  See ya.

www.xbox360ripoff.com

LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 LTomlinson21
I got my 360 back yesterday.  It only took 6 days for everything to happen!
versatili3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 versatili3
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
im planning to buy a 360 tom.. is it still that bad? coz if it is, then il have no choice but to wait til MS solves this problem.. any suggestions would be appreciated.. TIA
h0dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 h0dge
Just make sure to buy it someplace with a good extended warranty. 

What's odd about my 360 is that it will play original XBox games fine.  It just freezes on 360 games.  Since my box has the 0102 error (google 360 diagnostic codes for info), I'm thinking it's a bad solder connection on some function of the GPU (or another chip) that isn't used by BC games.

I did try running 360 games in 480p, hoping the lower rez might help, but no dice.
versatili3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 versatili3
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
how long does it usually take before these problems occur? i mean does it take a few weeks or months?
h0dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 h0dge
Keep in mind that most of the affected consoles seem to be ones that were manufactured close to launch, when Microsoft was just ramping up production. The current theory is that the ball grid array (BGA) chips weren't very well soldered onto the motherboard. As there were three separate manufacturing facilities (AFAIK), this may affect only consoles manufactured at a specific facility. This is all complete hypothesis, but if you examine the "heat gun fix", which purports to reflow the solder on the motherboard to reconnect the chips, it's very plausible. This is in addition to the general overheating problems inherent in the design. From all I've read, it sounds as if Microsoft is cutting the thermal corners very close. Many knowledgeable folks seem to think that more could/should have been done to keep the system's heat (specifically the GPU heat) down. If the bad soldering is the problem, anecdotal evidence seems to indicate it will often take several months (6-8, perhaps) to appear. This time frame may be shortened by increased heat. If the problem is overheating, you're likely to see problems much sooner. This stands to reason; why should an overheating problem appear suddenly after several months? The console will either overheat or it won't. Time isn't going to exacerbate the problem (though external factors, such as enclosure, environmental heat, etc, might). Bottom line: a console purchased now *should* be more reliable, if only because Microsoft is likely to have identified the manufacturing bugs that have caused system failure. However, as there haven't been any changes to the way the consoles are built, from a design perspective, it remains possible that defects will occur. The overheating will likely be solved only when the manufacturing process goes to a smaller die (?) size, which will lower heat overall. Since it remains possible a 360 purchased today will fail after the 3 month standard warranty, it's essential you get a good extended warranty at purchase time, preferably one that allows you to return to point of purchase, and not send in to Microsoft.
h0dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 h0dge
And one more thing: do make sure you make every effort to keep the console as cool as is humanly possible. Environmental heat will not only increase your 360's overheating potential, it may lead to the bad solder problem. Personally, my 360 entered its death spiral shortly after I moved it from its original location (atop a cable box) to what is surely a hotter loaction (atop a large Harmon-Kardon receiver which is putting out a lot of power). I suspect the increased heat was the main factor in my 0102/freezing problem. Keep your 360 away from all other electronic components and away from any enclosed spaces. It may not avoid problems, it may not absolutely be necessary, but it definitely won't hurt your 360. It may also be a good idea to add a third party intercooler. Reviews on these have been mixed, with some people claiming they help, and others claiming they've made problems worse. They do lower temperature, but they may add to your console's power consumption. YMMV - read up on them.
FiercE23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 FiercE23
Member since 2006 • 72 Posts
i have had mixed feelings on getting a intercooler too.  havent justified the 20$ yet
ktatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 ktatum
Member since 2003 • 82 Posts
[QUOTE="caiaphas143"]Look, you don't own a 360 . you know it and I know it. Yes it's popular these days to bash Microsoft but give it a rest. You're never going to scare people out of making a purchase with constant "Xbox sucks" posts so just head back to your regular forum and use your regular account. JoelWhy
You fanboys are pathetic. I'll post this yet again (and I'm going to keep posting it) not because I think it will shut you up, but because I know it makes you lemmings cringe every time you see an objective third-party reporting on the epidemic of 360s overheating: This from an article written in May by IGN.com: "At last count, nine Xbox 360s that belong to IGN editors have completely crashed. Two editors, Hilary Goldstein and Jessica Chobot, have had TWO systems go kaput." This week, IGN posted a few letters from people w/ 360 problems. Nothing we didn't know already ("we" meaning "everybody but the fanboys,") but it's good to see a reputable video game website keeping the pressure on Microsoft. Here's part of the IGN editor's response: "...it's been my experience that, over the last 10 years, there has never been anything like the upswelling of people with broken Xbox 360 systems. People never complained about Nintendo's systems, which are almost indestructible, or Microsoft's first system, which we hit with a bat and didn't break. In fact, the bat broke. Sony's PS 1 had overheating problems, and Sony's PS2 had a bad second shipment and several bad disc drives in its shipments. But nothing appears to be as bad as Microsoft's Xbox 360..."

Umm, I've seen this guy's gamertag at MS's own forums. He owns a 360. As do I, (ChemECat is my GT) and I agree that the console is a freezing-up POS compared with everything else. The only thing that has touched the level of undependendability in this is the old NES and the PS2 DREs.
ktatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 ktatum
Member since 2003 • 82 Posts
One more thing...all you people accusing us of being posers or sony fanboys or whatever...well most of us could point you directly to our gamertags to prove we have a 360. Heck I'll add you to my FL just to prove that I'm not lying. Mine freezes up all the dang time and its sitting in the middle of the room on a cold hardwood floor. Worked nearly flawlessly for 9 months then suddenly started locking up on Saints Row. Exchanged discs, still locking up, went to another store, still locking up. Its not the game. Now locking up in GRAW and having trouble opening the guide or going back to the Dashboard without hanging for a second. Its a flat buggy piece of hardware.
helios515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 helios515
Member since 2006 • 175 Posts
Today my Xbox 360 broke, I've had it since the end of December. It had freezing problems with all of the games that I was trying to play.  I'm the type of person who cares for his gaming systems as well.  If i'm paying 500 bucks for a system and 50 to 60 for games, you need to take care of your stuff.  I went to Microsoft's support site, and from there i called their help hot line.  The man i talked to was nice, and he helped me go through the various things that might have been plaguing my console.  Once we went through everything we determined that it was in fact broke, and that I would have to send it to Microsoft to get it repaired.  He told me that my warranty expired in June... which struck me by surprise.  I thought it came with a 1 year warranty, but apparently not.  He then went on to explain that it would cost me $139.90 to get my system fixed.  I was stunned... Bill Gates, the richest man on the planet can't have his company pay for their own broken systems.   It's not like i over played it, had it crammed in a small spot to overheat it, dropped it, kicked it, or even spilt anything on it.  It just died, and Bill Gates and Microsoft can't even fix my system for a reasonable sum of money.  I know that these new systems are costing more to make, and i can deal with the fact that they might be charging me money to fix it, but 139.90 is a friggen huge amount of money for them to charge. I also own a PS2, in fact I've owned 3.  2 broke and Sony replaced both for free!!  I bought the first one from its launch untill about 2 years in and the disk read error started kicking in, and breaking my games.  Sony took it, and fixed it, and sent us money for the 4 games that were broken.  Then that system broke a year later, and they took it again and fixed it, for free again!!!   I don't want Sony fan boys bashing Microsoft, i don't want Microsoft fans bashing Sony, or anything like that.  I just want honest opinions on this issue.  Does anyone else feel that it is outrageous for Microsoft to charge that much to fix their broken/ faulty hardware??
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 LTomlinson21

how long does it usually take before these problems occur? i mean does it take a few weeks or months? versatili3

It all depends.  Just know that the longer the systems are out, the less chance of them breaking there is.  Right now, the system failure rate, is probably pretty low, as compared to early this year.

Just a buy a $20 or $30 warranty from MS, which is one year I think.

R0BAFE11A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 R0BAFE11A
Member since 2005 • 119 Posts
I found out that alot of people get offened when you talk about the 360s and the amout of them thats faulty I know from personal experince that they should accomadate you in some why for the live service you lose if you use it. I have had to send mine in twice and the first time it took a month to come back. 
ChronoChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 ChronoChris
Member since 2003 • 1147 Posts
this may be a stupid question but i havnt seen anything around stating anything about it, but i will admit im too lazy to search through every thread. i just bought an xbox 360 a few days ago and dead rising as my first title. the system and game are brand new. ive been playing the game for 5-6 hours so far and there has been about 3 disc read errors. im not sure what this means. any help is appreciated. yes i have checked to make sure the disc is clean and like i said its brand new.
cloudedsamuri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 cloudedsamuri
Member since 2006 • 1588 Posts

man my xbox 360 broke three weeks ago the three red lights of death

got my 360 back on friday but they sent it back broke still not the the three red lights this time it came on but wont read the disc anymore known of my 360 games or cds or dvd movies

ms really rushed this system my xbox 360 was poorly made i showed of never got it on launch and waited like a year

sandorisrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 sandorisrael
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
My Xbox360 broke down 7 months after i bought it, i called 1-800-4my-xbox and am getting a "pre-paid" box shipped to me so i can send them my $434 paper weight. but im being charged $139.99 becuase my warrenty is expired, why should I have to pay for the mistakes of MS. i dont see why i should, but it was either pay to get it fixed or sell it as a broken system and EB games only will pay $50 for a broken system, i got f#%$ed by microsoft, thanks for nothing Bill Gates.
JoelWhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 JoelWhy
My Xbox360 broke down 7 months after i bought it, i called 1-800-4my-xbox and am getting a "pre-paid" box shipped to me so i can send them my $434 paper weight. but im being charged $139.99 becuase my warrenty is expired, why should I have to pay for the mistakes of MS. i dont see why i should, but it was either pay to get it fixed or sell it as a broken system and EB games only will pay $50 for a broken system, i got f#%$ed by microsoft, thanks for nothing Bill Gates.sandorisrael
Make sure to file a complaint with your state's attorney general's office and the Better Business Bureau.
JoelWhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 JoelWhy
Of the people who had a run-of-the-mill overheating experience (i.e. your system failed after the warranty had expired, but the whole repair process went relatively smoothly,) did anyone receive a repair discount or some other form of compensation? And, if you did, when did your system break?
OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts
This is straight BS!!! I can't believe what I'm reading.. And then M$ has the ballz to ask it's consumers who invested $400+ in their product to pay for it's repair?  Less than a year after it's initial launch?  They better hope these gamers don't jump ship into the Nintendo or Sony camp..
pvtselect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 pvtselect
Member since 2003 • 201 Posts

this may be a stupid question but i havnt seen anything around stating anything about it, but i will admit im too lazy to search through every thread. i just bought an xbox 360 a few days ago and dead rising as my first title. the system and game are brand new. ive been playing the game for 5-6 hours so far and there has been about 3 disc read errors. im not sure what this means. any help is appreciated. yes i have checked to make sure the disc is clean and like i said its brand new.ChronoChris

I haven't had any problems with my xbox 360, but I'm pretty much in the same exact scenario you are in.  I bought mine about two weeks ago with just dead rising and have played it for about 10 hours maybe.  Thats it with the exception of a few demos.  Thankfully, I haven't had any kind of errors *knock on wood* I couldn't tell you what they mean, but if I were you I'd take it back and exchange it right away or if you're paranoid try to get a refund.  If its only been a couple of days you should be able to do that, with all the complaints I wouldn't take any chances on waiting for it to die on you. Maybe all this stuff is overblown, but I wouldn't want to take any chances with $400 hardware on the line. 

vidiofreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 vidiofreak
Member since 2003 • 427 Posts

NOOOOO!!!!!

I now have the 3 red lights. I called in to 18004myxbox, and they are like.. Since your out of warrentee you have to pay $130.. I was like.. uhhh wtf?  i dont think so... Then i reminded them how sony, even if your out of warrentee, will fix Ps2's for free. At least they did for me.. twice... And the guy from xbox was liek...   uhhh, well, we will pick it up for you?  lol..  god microsoft sucks

FooFighter145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 FooFighter145
Member since 2003 • 415 Posts

This was pretty funny!!!

So I got my "coffin" today and followed the steps to put my DeadBox 3RLOD to sleep (RIP) ...

I wanted to follow the instructions explicitely so as to not delay my order.

So I read:

Step 1:  Remove inner box from larger box

Step 2:  Place XBOX in Bag and place in box

Step 3: Close box and insert box into main box.

Step 4: Seal Box with clear disc and cover package slip with new slip

Step 5: Call UPS to arrange pickup

Then I read further down:

"To expedite processing of order please include this sheet with the following information, Name, Address, Serial number etc"

I'm like WTF???? they can't even get the return for repair instructions correct...needless to say I slipped it into the box through a crack

I did laugh at my own expense though, that's what I get for following directions :roll: