The 3-Red-Light Club: Join Up!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Marmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 Marmin
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

This past Monday I woke up to find that my 360 has now joined the "3-Red-Light" club.

But that's not my real problem.

My real problem is with feeling as though I have been pushed outside of my warranty. I had called customer service roughly five-ish months ago to ask about a "Cannot read disk" error I had been seeing sporadically with a few different games that I own, to see if it was some sort of problem. They assured me it was due to the fact that the saved game files created by the system were corrupt, but the fix was easy: just delete the saved game file and restart the game. Now erasing all my progress didn't seem like the best fix, but it did work. Another month goes by and again and after the same error persists I call customer support and receive the same solution in response, but after asking if my console should come in for repair I was told it didn't, and that it is a pretty common problem. Rise and repeat same problem/conversation two more times.

Now fast forward to just after Windows Media Player 11 is released my 360 will no longer connect to my PC (since its availability I had been using Windows Media Connect, which now cannot be used as it is now integrated into WMP11) and after two and a half hours speaking with customer service the answer to my problem is that "some PCs just aren't able to connect with an Xbox 360". Ok, fine, I guess I'll just stream my music from an iPod. Again it is not a huge problem and again it is not a problem with the hardware, just a sort of user error.

Jump back to the NOW.

At this point I have a non working 360, at just two months outside of my warranty, which now requires a repair. And the thing is, I don't have a real position to defend. I am outside warranty, and I will have to pay whatever repair costs are asked of me. I realize that. It is a better deal than having to buy a new system, and I do get one exciting month of Xbox LIVE Gold.But that's not the thing. My real problem is that I shouldn't have to pay this much. I wanted to get it fixed before my warranty was up, I was worried about my investment; $400 initially is a pretty big chunk of change, now another $130 a year later is kind of steep ($126, if you take into account the one month of free Xbox LIVE Gold). Now here's the other problem with my argument; you can't have people getting free elective repairs on their 360s, I mean if you could why not send it in every six months for a good old tune up; its just not cost effective. So here I am again, without a real solid argument besides how I "feel" I've been treated.

And I can't get mad at customer service, they're doing their job, and they were nice and accommodating each time I talked with them even when I was getting frustrated.

I'll wrap this up with again saying: 'I feel like I was pushed outside of my warranty'.

Please if anyone else out there has had an experience like this let me know, let everyone know just throw it up here. If it is just me that's not bad; considering how many people play this thing. I hope it has been just me, but if not this type of situation shouldn't be tolerated. The idea of an Xbox community sounds like a good thing, but it has to be worked for; from both sides.

Signed,
New College Grad/Summer/Rain Outside/No 360

PS. The games I initially had the "Disk Error" problems with were: 'Gears of War', 'Viva Piñata', 'Saints Row', 'Marvel Ultimate Alliance', 'Madden '07', 'Oblivion'.I had also been connected to my PC since I purchased the console in the middle of March of 2007.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts
Sucks, man. I am so scared this will happen to me some day but fortunately my 360 has been ok for over a year now.
mother_farter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 mother_farter
Member since 2003 • 16676 Posts

sorry to hear about that man =/ im on my 3rd xbox now and not once did they ask about my warrany or anything..they just fixed it for free everytime. personally i dont think people should have to pay for repairs..its not thier fault that the 360 breaks down. we just want to play our games...the red light problemis ridiculous, the 360 breaks down like no other system. i dont think there has ever been such a huge % of console failures since the 360 really. if my 360 breaks down again which then ill be on my 4th! i cant see myself having to pay for repairs..i wont..ill argue as long as i have to for my 360 to be repaired free of charge because its not our fault its theirs.

good luck wih your future consoles..i hope you dont have anymore prolems with it.

Volodnikov9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Volodnikov9
Member since 2004 • 1758 Posts
Go through the error code guide. If you have error code 0102, then try the eraser fix. My 360 received the three red lights last week and I nearly killed myself (not really). However, I called MS and since I got my 360 in December 2005 I was off the warranty. They wanted me to pay 140 bucks! After looking online I found the eraser fix (just look up 360 eraser fix in Google) and it works perfectly now. It does require you to open up your 360 though.
rsbrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 rsbrage
Member since 2005 • 58 Posts
Thats sucks, My xbox 360 Just gave me the 3 red lights last week. I am not all surprised, I was expecting it sooner or later i just wish it would have happen when i still had the warrenty. Now i have to pay $104.99 to get it fix. customer Rep. first told me that i had to pay $140 but after giving my serial# he said he would give me a 25% discount with a 1 Year warrenty? I thought that was wierd, but was not going to complain about it. I am hoping i do have to send it in agian once i get it back. I have heard a lot of reports of people sending it 2-3 times. I guess i well keep my fingers crossed.
SoUtHhOlLiZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SoUtHhOlLiZ
Member since 2005 • 681 Posts
dot get too happy for your 360, mine died about 2 days ago, and i kept it in the best care for over a year, then it just died without warning,
karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 karmageddon2k4
Member since 2004 • 919 Posts

Sucks, man. I am so scared this will happen to me some day but fortunately my 360 has been ok for over a year now.nooblet69

Ya it is scary. I thought everyone else just had bad luck and such and then one day my perfectly fine 360 up and died out of the blue. No warning just died. Threw in fight night and not even 5 seconds into the match the system froze. Reboot and 3 lovely red lights.

karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 karmageddon2k4

Go through the error code guide. If you have error code 0102, then try the eraser fix. My 360 received the three red lights last week and I nearly killed myself (not really). However, I called MS and since I got my 360 in December 2005 I was off the warranty. They wanted me to pay 140 bucks! After looking online I found the eraser fix (just look up 360 eraser fix in Google) and it works perfectly now. It does require you to open up your 360 though.Volodnikov9

I don't get how the eraser fix actually works. I know what you do but i don't see how this corrects the problem. Actually i don't get why those little gum like squares are there in the first place. If someone knows the answer to that let me know because i'm curious how adding rubber to the back of the ram i believe it is helps. I would think it would increase the amount of heat

Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Szminsky
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts

I just got 3 red lights aswell. Do't remember if they were flashing though. I can still turn on the console and so forth. Are there different 3red lights?

karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 karmageddon2k4

I just got 3 red lights aswell. Do't remember if they were flashing though. I can still turn on the console and so forth. Are there different 3red lights?

Szminsky

That would be the red lights we speak of. You're just lucky currently although that may change down the road. At times they will work right after but fail not too long after the fact.

Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Szminsky
well that's sad. Actually it happened with my game paused (forza 2), when I returned after a snack, the console was showing the three red lights. I just rebooted it, but if what you say its true... I may have lost my will to buy any future MS consoles.
Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Szminsky

Had it since January aswell, so it's quite new.

Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Szminsky
I was just informed that we had a quick loss of power (likea second) when my 360 was on... could this be the cause of the 3 red lights... or does the 360 just reboot when that happens´?
JohnWinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JohnWinger
Member since 2007 • 1903 Posts

There's a club?

Hmmm

Interesting....

I wonder why there's not a website dedicated to broken consoles....

Oh wait!! Gamespot?!

Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Szminsky
Anyone?
Kenaz057

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kenaz057
Member since 2006 • 154 Posts
I got the three red lights two days ago. One day it was working fine then the next day it wouldn't even turn on. :/
SithLordKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SithLordKiller
Member since 2006 • 244 Posts
I didn't know that there was a club for this. However, I'm currently on my second 360 which has begun to show the tell tale signs of being near death. Time will only tell when I have to send this one in as well for a third 360 and maybe a fourth. Pretty lame if you ask me. Thanks Microsoft.
taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 taylor888
Member since 2005 • 2232 Posts

Ill join the club, but its on its way back repair so does that count?

igotdez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 igotdez
Member since 2007 • 146 Posts
i just sent mys out for repair last week and hearing people say they've been on there second and third one make me wonder how long will my 360 will last after geting repair:(
sonic0491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 sonic0491
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts
i had mine for almost a year with no problems, then it started freezing, then i got 3 red lights and it wont power on at all and im still waiting for eb to contact me to replace it (2 weeks after it started red lights) i thought i was one of the lucky ones, but i guess there all faulty, the only thing stopping me form trading it in towards a ps3 is all the games and achievements i got would be gone and worth nothing. still saving for ps3 though, much more stable system.
Super_Kid_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Super_Kid_999
Member since 2006 • 82 Posts

ok well a couple of moths ago, mabye march, end of february, on xbox.com, i read that all 360's boutght from when this new thing affeTED. WEL, THE THING IS, ALL 360'S AGET A EXRTENDED 1 YEAR WARRANTY, SINCE MANY 360'S ARE STILL BREAKING, FOR REASONS THAT THEY CANT FIGURE OUT, AND SOME THEY CAN.

Even if, this "club" you call, is a stupid idea, this should be posted on www.xbox.com , not gamespot, fr this is somehting thta xbox.com should be haveing. you ppl just post your anger for no frigin rasona dn dnot e even realize what the hell you ARE postig.

if your 360 is broke, buy a ELIte, even if its nother 80 bucks or so more then the non cofrre version, its made wiht the newest things, so your guarenteed to not have any problems. my cousin had his 360 sixed twice, and was tolsd to buy a new one ecause it would keep breaking.

SO GET A LIFE AND BY A NEW ONE, OR GIVE UYP VIDEOG G GAMES FOR GOOD!

gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts

ok well a couple of moths ago, mabye march, end of february, on xbox.com, i read that all 360's boutght from when this new thing affeTED. WEL, THE THING IS, ALL 360'S AGET A EXRTENDED 1 YEAR WARRANTY, SINCE MANY 360'S ARE STILL BREAKING, FOR REASONS THAT THEY CANT FIGURE OUT, AND SOME THEY CAN.

Even if, this "club" you call, is a stupid idea, this should be posted on www.xbox.com , not gamespot, fr this is somehting thta xbox.com should be haveing. you ppl just post your anger for no frigin rasona dn dnot e even realize what the hell you ARE postig.

if your 360 is broke, buy a ELIte, even if its nother 80 bucks or so more then the non cofrre version, its made wiht the newest things, so your guarenteed to not have any problems. my cousin had his 360 sixed twice, and was tolsd to buy a new one ecause it would keep breaking.

SO GET A LIFE AND BY A NEW ONE, OR GIVE UYP VIDEOG G GAMES FOR GOOD!

Super_Kid_999

Yup, keep spending money.

LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts

I just called tonight and a box is being shipped out to me. It is ridiculous how big of a problem this is. My second console broke and I keep wondering why this happens. This is such faulty hardware.

I always vent on Xbox.com, though.

Marmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Marmin

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm looking into the Eraser fix, but am a little worried that if I open her up that may make it harder for me to get it repaired by the nice people over in Redmond.

I did post the same thread over on the Xbox.com site as well. Oddly though I haven't received any response over there. So please if you have time, head over to Xbox.com and check out the post over there.

Hearing that there are some 360 gamers out there that have had to get their system repaired four or more times is ridiculous. I'm headed over to the Xbox.com after this to amend my post to see if there can be some sort of response from Microsoft on steps they may be taking to see what is causing all these problems. If there is any information on other sites or forums about these problems please post them here.

I'm sure that if more people speak out about their frustration with this we could possibly see some more help come out of Microsoft. I love the 360 and want to continue gaming on it, but if I have to get it repaired all the time like some of you had that seems very unlikely.

Thanks for the responses so far, keep them coming, and please let us know if you had any problems with feeling pushed past your warranty if you talked to customer service with problems before you saw the red lights.

Signed,

3RLC

Marmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Marmin

A friend of mine just sent this over to me. If you're not into reading here's the basic idea from the article:

Microsoft is extending warrenty for 3 years from purchase date as well as refunding for past repairs.

Good news for anyone in our situation.

GIVE MICROSOFT A CALL!

-N

Marmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Marmin

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2007/07/02/daily18.html?hbx=e_du

Forgot to link the article.

Check it out and give Microsoft a call.

-N

GreaterthanG0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GreaterthanG0d
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts

I'm sorry to hear this. This, friend, is called business and "money propagation", if you will. My 360 has suffered numerous problems since purchase.

• Disk Read Errors. (DREs)
  • 3-Red-Lights Death (1st console, second console [which I repaired at $96] )
  • Common freez-age in Summer, when the heat sink couldn't cope with Maltese summer temperatures.

All this has led me to believe that although MS does a better thing with regards to games titles and online service, Sony has better control when it comes to console durability and manufacture. Its the bare truth I'm afraid. Ask my singed console-shelf.

SilentMercX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SilentMercX
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts

To all complaining about repair price and warranty

On July 5, 2007

Microsoft has lowered the price from 139.90 to $99.00 US. So therefore you 25% discount would drop from 104.93 to 74.94. My contact at the Microsoft Call Center for Xbox 360 is supervisor and informed me that they usually give discounts of some sort as long as its been like a month or so since its been out. He usually give a full out free repair if its been like 5 days. The point is the price has dramatically been reduced. And yes all consoles now have a full year warranty upon return on the console. You also get the box to ship to and from

GreaterthanG0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GreaterthanG0d
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts

To all complaining about repair price and warranty

On July 5, 2007

Microsoft has lowered the price from 139.90 to $99.00 US. So therefore you 25% discount would drop from 104.93 to 74.94. My contact at the Microsoft Call Center for Xbox 360 is supervisor and informed me that they usually give discounts of some sort as long as its been like a month or so since its been out. He usually give a full out free repair if its been like 5 days. The point is the price has dramatically been reduced. And yes all consoles now have a full year warranty upon return on the console. You also get the box to ship to and from

SilentMercX

So, Is Bill Gate$ your cousin?

SilentMercX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SilentMercX
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts
No, I just a know somebody at the call center in Austin Texas and hes a supervisor. So I hear about this stuff
Canadian_Merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 Canadian_Merc
Member since 2005 • 79 Posts
I had three of mine do it andI had a period of 91 days waiting for microsoft to send me another one
dscot18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dscot18
Member since 2006 • 111 Posts
Count me in. I just got red lights on July 3rd. Luckily I have the 2 yr Best Buy PRP where you mail in the system and get a BB voucher for a new one. Sadly, I'm using it for the second time. I didn't get the red lights the first time. It just kept freezing up (Gears, Saints Row, Madden 07). I talked to a guy at the UPS Store (today, when I was mailing in my system) and he said he has had tons of 360s returned. He even mentioned that MS will be able to write off $1.5 billion because of all of the returns/repairs.
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#33 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

Count me in. I just got red lights on July 3rd. Luckily I have the 2 yr Best Buy PRP where you mail in the system and get a BB voucher for a new one. Sadly, I'm using it for the second time. I didn't get the red lights the first time. It just kept freezing up (Gears, Saints Row, Madden 07). I talked to a guy at the UPS Store (today, when I was mailing in my system) and he said he has had tons of 360s returned. He even mentioned that MS will be able to write off $1.5 billion because of all of the returns/repairs.dscot18

Darn it! Just when I was about to buy the elite 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#34 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
Heya. My 360 is in for repair right now. Left today.
anobleloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 anobleloss
Member since 2005 • 757 Posts

i'll join to my 360 had the lights of death around the end of may. i got an elite now though, never thought my system would ever die on me, guess there is a first for everything lol