Tech Question on 360

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jiff_man12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jiff_man12
Member since 2005 • 88 Posts

I've had my 360 on the floor and in vertical for a month now, It's a hardwood floor, the room is always cleaned and the tv blocks the sun from reaching it - is it still at risk? I don't wanna have to move it to back to my dark, dark room. Sure it's cold there, but all i've got is a 21" SDTV and I don't wanna go back to crappy old SDTV... :(

By the way, since I can't make a proper topic outside of the 360 forums that can attract Enlightenedones' attention, I guess I'll just have to say it here: Yeaahhh... We believe you alright. Big tourney winner? How come you can't pay for a new 360 that your "grampa" broke? 63 year old? You admitted you lied in the same page! Maybe you're Jack Thompson in disguise.

PhilGDUK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 PhilGDUK2
Member since 2006 • 79 Posts
should be fine as long as the room ain't too hot and the power supply isn't covered.
lordofthesuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lordofthesuck
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts
having it in hot places puts it at risk? xP man i never knew i've had my 360 in a hot room all weekend and never did anything haha
dunamistheou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dunamistheou
Member since 2005 • 4744 Posts
Should be fine. Ironically, a lot of people that do have 360 issues have their 360 plugged into a surge protector.
boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts

Should be fine. Ironically, a lot of people that do have 360 issues have their 360 plugged into a surge protector.dunamistheou

Seriously, why wouldn't somebody want the 360 plugged into a surge protector? I don't get how MS says that can cause issues. My computer, TV, PS3, every other electronic in the world....all plugged in to one with no issues. WHy would the 360 have an issue? Plus...do I want my 360 to fry out in a lightening storm? Not really.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d27a0be87356
deactivated-5d27a0be87356

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 deactivated-5d27a0be87356
Member since 2007 • 533 Posts

Its best to keep it horizontal and heres why. The fans in the back of the 360 push air outside outside the console towards the back, meaning that, even though there isn't a dedicated air intake it still has to come from somewhere. The place with the most holes for air to come in is on the right side of the console, which ends up underneath when you put it in a upright position. Air still comes in but is less hindered when horizontal. Also, if you look that the last picture of this page http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2610&p=3

That bronze colored heatsink you see is connected to the GPU, the main reason of RROD. The rear fans are directly connected to it as you can see, providing constant air flow, but if you notice the CD rom drive and the fans themselves are blocking the left and rear side of the case while the front provides little to no ventilation, making the right side ventialtion grid the only direct source of air onto the GPU's heatsink. Bottom line, the right side is your air input, and the back is the output. Keep both as unhindered as possible.