Teaching GF how to play Call of Duty

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cowing30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Cowing30
Member since 2007 • 450 Posts

So the other day my girlfriend calls me telling me she wants to learn how to play Call of Duty and see what all the fuss is about. Now mind you we have tried this briefly before where we played against eachother 1v1 and i attempted to teach her at the same time which as you can imagine didnt go well. My question is how do i go about teaching someone who doesnt play video games how to play an FPS?

My first step was to get her a little more familiar with playing with the controler so we played through Lego Batman together that being the simplest controls i can think of.This is currently her only real gaming experience.

My only idea at this point is to have her play through the campaign on the easiest difficulty and see if she can develope the ability to aim, shoot, and move.

Are there any other FPS games that would be better for beginners? I thought from a control standpoint Halo may be easierto learn seeing as how you dont aim down the sights, hold your breath, have perks or killstreaks or anything like that.but she did specifically ask for COD.

Any help would be appreciated.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DranzarTypeF
Member since 2009 • 2623 Posts

I could make a joke aboyut COD's learning curve right now...but I think i'll pass for now lol.

gawnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gawnn
Member since 2003 • 312 Posts

I could make a joke aboyut COD's learning curve right now...but I think i'll pass for now lol.

DranzarTypeF
HA!
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

i recommend Halo. I taught my GF Halo and she became a Halo and first person shooter fan ever since. the movements are slower paced then COD so its an easier learning curve. Bungie actually tested there games with people all ages including grandmas, lol

hckydude1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 hckydude1103
Member since 2005 • 2230 Posts

why would you let her play a game as bad as COD?

Blackhawk692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blackhawk692
Member since 2005 • 1306 Posts

If you can handle being a little frustrated, you can try playing togther. The best way to learn is to play, plain and simple.

-ICON-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 -ICON-
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts

hckydude1103
probably because cod was made for noobs with no skill.
MrBubbles59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrBubbles59
Member since 2010 • 686 Posts

Just play together I quess lol.

Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
[QUOTE="hckydude1103"]

-ICON-

Despite the amount of flak it gets on these boards, MW 2 is still a great game, especially online. Every shooter has its problems, even Battlefield Bad Company 2.
NoDzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NoDzombie
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts

he asked a simple question are you all so petty that you have to turn it into a fanboy debate instead of answering?

when i taught my girlfriend her only previous experience had been the Wii, so firstly i got her playing a few pretty easy games like the lego series, and other slow paced games like viva pinata, which allowed her to get used to the controller

we then started with some co-op games, some more lego, as well as army of two, left 4 dead, halo3, gears of war all in co-op on the easiest dofficultys

then i left her to herself, and she now plays a lot of single player games, she really enjoyed bioshock, mass effect 2, batman AA, assassins creed 2, she still stays away from multiplayer cause she gets to frustrated, but she loves single player games now, which is a massive improvement on where she was before

best advise though is to avoid games where you have to play against each other at all costs, cause they will just get really stroppy about how you are so much better than them, or about how you are just letting them win, either or

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DranzarTypeF
[QUOTE="-ICON-"][QUOTE="hckydude1103"]

Doomtime

Despite the amount of flak it gets on these boards, MW 2 is still a great game, especially online. Every shooter has its problems, even Battlefield Bad Company 2.

No man it isn't a great game, MW2 sucks more then the other COD's and is one of the worst developed shooters on the 360/PS3...if the presentation and graphics weren't so amazing the bad gameplay wouldn't get overlooked.
Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Doomtime
[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"][QUOTE="Doomtime"][QUOTE="-ICON-"] probably because cod was made for noobs with no skill.

No man it isn't a great game, MW2 sucks more then the other COD's and is one of the worst developed shooters on the 360/PS3...if the presentation and graphics weren't so amazing the bad gameplay wouldn't get overlooked.

What exactly makes it suck more? Most of the notable glitches have been fixed and it is still excellent to play online. Please don't say campers, because that is such a lame, cop-out excuse. You can't expect to run around this game non-stop and have success, and that's how many people believe they are supposed to play, but they continuously die and don't understand why. Most of the people that say the game sucks on this board aren't very good to begin with.
DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DranzarTypeF
[QUOTE="Doomtime"][QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"][QUOTE="Doomtime"] Despite the amount of flak it gets on these boards, MW 2 is still a great game, especially online. Every shooter has its problems, even Battlefield Bad Company 2.

What exactly makes it suck more? Most of the notable glitches have been fixed and it is still excellent to play online. Please don't say campers, because that is such a lame, cop-out excuse. You can't expect to run around this game non-stop and have success, and that's how many people believe they are supposed to play, but they continuously die and don't understand why. Most of the people that say the game sucks on this board aren't very good to begin with.

Exact opposite in my situation...its not even about the bugs anymore, the gameplay caters to amateurs of the series, anybody can be good within a few hours. Kill streaks do 50% of the work for you thenh perks handle the rest.
Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Doomtime
[QUOTE="Doomtime"][QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]No man it isn't a great game, MW2 sucks more then the other COD's and is one of the worst developed shooters on the 360/PS3...if the presentation and graphics weren't so amazing the bad gameplay wouldn't get overlooked.DranzarTypeF

Exact opposite in my situation...its not even about the bugs anymore, the gameplay caters to amateurs of the series, anybody can be good within a few hours. Kill streaks do 50% of the work for you thenh perks handle the rest.

I don't see what's so bad about having a community that's "good" at the game. Does it bother you that there aren't enough terrible players for you to pick off? As for the killstreaks, they only do work if the other team doesn't make adjustments. If there's a harrier or chopper in the air, communicate to take that thing down and if that's not going to happen, use the cold blooded perk.
TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

QUIT HIJACKING!!!

Anyways Mario Kart is a good game to play with your GF. Someone else said Halo thats a good one play through co op. And gears of war 2 is pretty fun.

My gf really liked Fable and fable 2. Just play as many co op games as you can.

Oh and now thats shes done with lego batman get her started on Arkum Asylem.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BLAS1AN

its sad how a simple topic about teaching someone a game turned into fanboy wars and bashing the COD franchise.

InjuredStraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 InjuredStraw
Member since 2009 • 151 Posts

:)

zellwood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zellwood69
Member since 2008 • 224 Posts

I used Perfect Dark Zero with the bots on the MP to teach mine and to let her get used to the idea. now she goes through any FPS no problem. Oh yeah if shes a girly girl make sure you add the good job babe every now and then it pays off for you too...

MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

Yeah, when I first play COD I was horrible. I can't even beat a level on regular!

Now I can play it on Veteran.

LightColor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LightColor
Member since 2006 • 2709 Posts
the way sum of u guys make it sound, ppl can really make sum money off of teaching how to play on a console, lol really just throw them the controller n let them figure it out, they aren't stupid lol
superapo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 superapo
Member since 2009 • 1714 Posts

Play left 4 dead, its a great co-op expierience with easy controls. I was playing with my 10 year old cousin and we had a blast.

zellwood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 zellwood69
Member since 2008 • 224 Posts

the way sum of u guys make it sound, ppl can really make sum money off of teaching how to play on a console, lol really just throw them the controller n let them figure it out, they aren't stupid lolLightColor

That works for most "girls" but there are some that never just get it.. but then are they really trying or are they just trying to get the guy off the game for there own reasons.. Something to think about lol

Cowing30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cowing30
Member since 2007 • 450 Posts

Thank you to all of those who gave actual answers. im definatly going to go with halo and left 4 dead sounds like it would be very fun. the intensity of the fast zombies would prolly scare the s*** out of her.

idk how this turned into MW2 bashing but you really cant bash it. it may not be as good as COD4 but its still a great game and a blast to play with your friends.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BLAS1AN

you teaching her inverted or non? when i teach new comers i like to use the right thumbstick in relation to your head. push forward on thumbstick is like your head going down, push back on thumbstick is like you tilting your head back...etc

damstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 damstr
Member since 2003 • 8217 Posts

My girlfriend asked me the other day if I would teach her to how to play...I predict she lasts 5 minutes before giving up. Haha We are going to try Forza 3 though even though its not an arcade game. Should be interesting. Lol

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Doomtime

Exactly...its just popular to piss on COD. Is it my favorite game no...but then no FPS is my favorite game. On the flip side its also not my least favorite game. I enjoy MW2 a lot and in all honesty as you said Bad Company 2 has some flaws as well. Its a great game just like MW2 but to act as though its worlds ahead of COD is a mistake.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Thank you to all of those who gave actual answers. im definatly going to go with halo and left 4 dead sounds like it would be very fun. the intensity of the fast zombies would prolly scare the s*** out of her.

idk how this turned into MW2 bashing but you really cant bash it. it may not be as good as COD4 but its still a great game and a blast to play with your friends.

Cowing30

Any thread on these forums that mentions MW2 these days turns into bash fest...kind of sad really. Its not the best game ever made but its certainly not the worst. People just like to pick on it and then act as though they are the only people who don't like MW2 when in reality more people hate on it than compliment it.

armyman455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 armyman455
Member since 2008 • 914 Posts

i was playing halo when my friend came over once and she decided she wanted to learn, three hours later i wanted to kill myself and her, i dont know if its just her but it was so frustrating to watch someone who doesnt know how to play, for the sake of the relationship i say take up learning something shes into because the gaming will not end well

jad206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jad206
Member since 2009 • 1821 Posts

Doomtime

Take that back you. . . MONSTER!

Edit: It would be 10 times better if the CoD noob's didn't think they are good and try playing it.(10 times better then what it is now. It is already better then MW2).

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I would try something like left 4 dead. It not to hard.

You can really only teach the basics. You really can't make her good. Everything just takes time and playing.

RxYxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RxYxx
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

hckydude1103
HAHAHA LMAO
MissMorphine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MissMorphine
Member since 2008 • 1156 Posts

hckydude1103

thats exactly what i was going to say... u must really hate your gf to torture her making her play COD lol

TheOmegaRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheOmegaRex
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Does she want you specifically to teach her? If not, I'd help out. I've taught plenty of my friends and random people I've encountered throughout online how to play either Gears of War, Halo or Call of Duty at high levels. (You can say these games take no skill but if you're actually playing people who know what they're doing, it's not so easy) PM me if you're interested. No, I'm not like the kids on Xbox Live who say "1600 points for lessons" because I do them for free. (That's why foreigners are much better than Americans at games, they actually share anything they learn about the game, thus games constantly evolving and why 10 year old games are still played in Japan/Europe)
superiorNilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 superiorNilly
Member since 2007 • 547 Posts

i recommend Halo. I taught my GF Halo and she became a Halo and first person shooter fan ever since. the movements are slower paced then COD so its an easier learning curve. Bungie actually tested there games with people all ages including grandmas, lol

BLAS1AN

Yeah I got my GF to play halo and she enjoyed it. I tried with COD and other FPS games but she wouldnt touch them.

summer_star17x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 summer_star17x
Member since 2007 • 2683 Posts

Cowing30
try teaching her with a retro shooter first.. they are slower and easier to learn. i recommend using DOOM from the XBLA..because with that version you use both dual sticks, she can learn easily from that. then move on to halo.
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BLAS1AN

try teaching her with a retro shooter first.. they are slower and easier to learn. i recommend using DOOM from the XBLA..because with that version you use both dual sticks, she can learn easily from that. then move on to halo.

great point. your GF would love serious sam because its not a hard core FPS.

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

I have been trying to teach my mom to play video games so I kind of know how you feel, try to get her used to the why a FPS controls, I would recommend starting off by getting her used to moving around and the basic controls in a no-pressure environment. Start a private match and teach her the controls and how to accurately shoot, then you can spar with her when she thinks she is ready but don't make winning your top priority, try to go easy and when you think she is playing well enough gradually increase your effort to winning. The trick is to not throw the game in her face from the very beggining, not everyone was born with a controler hooked up to their embilicle cord you know.

Oh, and to everyone saying that CoD is a bad game to start on your wrong, CoD is a great game to begin learning the basic formula of FPSs, it's easy to pick up for begginers, it's certainly better than throwing her into a game of team SWAT on Halo 3.

nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts

Doomtime

Yea just have a more problems than others in their kind. Like geniuses and slow people. We still love slow people though....MW2 is just one big ginormous happy little mistake.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

[QUOTE="Doomtime"][QUOTE="-ICON-"] probably because cod was made for noobs with no skill.nate_c-12

Yea just have a more problems than others in their kind. Like geniuses and slow people. We still love slow people though....MW2 is just one big ginormous happy little mistake.

yeah, and in most games with problems, the developer bothers to fix them, and doesn't just turn a blind eye

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
Just put it on the training ground on MW2 and make her play through it a few times. Then get her to play the rest of the campaign on the easiest difficulty setting. Then when she has the controls in her head, tell her alls you need is brains and a good reaction to be good ;).