S-Video Cable, worth 30 bucks?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shohodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shohodan
Member since 2004 • 34 Posts
Tried posting this last night, no takers. Basically i have a standard def trinitron and want the picture to be better. currently using the composite cables that came with the premium box, so will getting an s-video cable make for better picture quality? comments?
Bigfoot_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Bigfoot_Slayer
Member since 2003 • 211 Posts

It will probably change a little bit... But I would suggest looking around places like ebay or something.. That could really help... And you can probably get it a lot cheaper there instead of at the store. 

But whether or not it will matter kind of depends on your TV.. If it does change it, it probably won't a whole lot. 

KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts
it will only make a diference if your tv is a standard but a flat screen if you know what i mean i have one in my bedroom its flat screen but a crt and the s-video really brought out the brightness and colors a bit better when i tried it on my other crt before i bought by flat panel it did nothing close to what it did to my flat screen crt
shohodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shohodan
hmm. well it is flat screen, and a crt, its a four year old (or so) trinitron. isnt flat panel HDTV?
reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 reubendarosa
Member since 2005 • 2727 Posts

Tried posting this last night, no takers. Basically i have a standard def trinitron and want the picture to be better. currently using the composite cables that came with the premium box, so will getting an s-video cable make for better picture quality? comments?shohodan

my brother has a Sony Trinitron and even though it's SD i can plug the component cables in to his TV and it makes the picture look alot better then S-Video or composite.

So check to see if your tv has Component inputs even though it's not HD

UmbrellaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 UmbrellaMaster
Member since 2003 • 191 Posts

I have all SD TV's in my house but I badly wanted HD so... I went out and paid $30 for the 360 --> Monitor cable and plugged it into my 19" widescreen LCD monitor.  Works wonders with the speaker system I've got hooked into it and I get full HD from it.  For me it was the low cost HD option and works out great.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/

The official website has it posted for $40, but I paid $30 at my local Gamestop.  You can find decent deals around or on Ebay like someone else said. 

shohodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shohodan
no luck. its just got the 3 standard slots for sd inputs, so do you mean plug the HD jacks into the slots or switch the tab into HD?
reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 reubendarosa
Member since 2005 • 2727 Posts

no luck. its just got the 3 standard slots for sd inputs, so do you mean plug the HD jacks into the slots or switch the tab into HD? shohodan

no, if it only has the regular inputs then just forget about component. you want to use S-Video right? Well like that guy said, a 2-30dollar VGA cord can easily plug into a computer monitor and you can get HD resolutions on it.

IMO it's up to you, it's your 30 bucks, you decide if you want the s-video cable or not. ofcourse it will look better then the current ones but nothing HD like.

Comp_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Comp_
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The difference will be about nil.
shohodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shohodan
i see. well i COULD set it up on my pc monitor but i kind of like sitting in my living room playing it, if you get what i mean. And yeah, i know its not going to make it HD-like, but what i wanted to know was if the quality was remarkably better, or just "kind of". solid replies guys, thanks for the info
GTZ2k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 GTZ2k3
Member since 2003 • 472 Posts
I remember when I switched my originial XBox from composite to S-Video and was stunned by the video quality.  It's no an HD-quality stunned, but it is a lot clearer than composite.
technofranki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 technofranki
Member since 2005 • 1333 Posts
You can get a S-video cable for only US$ 6.95 at Divineo.cn.