Strange Colours in Gears of War..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OXM-Madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 OXM-Madman
Member since 2006 • 174 Posts

Hey guys, I recently rented GoW since GoW 2 is coming out soon, and everything was fine since Saturday (the day I got it). Today though when I popped in the game there was this wierd colour thing. As in grey would appear as blueish lumps of pixels. I ejected the disc, no problem on my Dashboard, put it back in, same problem with the game. Ejected it, then my Dashboard got it. Turned off the Xbox, put in BioShock, no problems after half a hour of playing (noticed the GoW colours immideately).

Any ideas what is wrong?

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
Could be a problem with the disc itself. I would try another GoW disc, and would test that out. If it happens again, your video might be on its way out. I had a similiar problem, and now my 360 is unplayable.
moz_exe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 moz_exe
Member since 2006 • 2374 Posts
My Gears game has done this ever since I bought it, I have no idea what causes it though.
The colours usually show up at the Fueling Station, on bits of sheet metal.
Nobody could ever tell me what the problem was.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Graphics card is dying. I had an old card that did something similar, and my laptop's card fizzled out like that earlier this year as well, going from sparkly pixels on some textures to everything, and eventually it started popping green pixels in everywhere, including my boot screen.

I don't imagine the 360 would be any different, although usually it doesn't die slowly, it goes out with a bang.

OXM-Madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 OXM-Madman

Thanks Moz, it oculd be that, as I rented it off a online store, so it could be old.

DJ_Lae, thanks as that was my guess. Does the towelie trick fix it? If I have to resord to that.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Well, if it keeps doing it, that may lead to the three red rings, which would be covered under warranty. The towel trick wouldn't do anything, since it's just rumoured to re-melt the solder connecting the video card to the motherboard, which was one of the more common red-ring causes.

At least, that's what I think it's supposed to do. I can't imagine wrapping the console in a towel doing much of anything other than burning out components.

OXM-Madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OXM-Madman

Well I think what it is supposed to do is melt the components and be left for half a hour so they can harden. So I'm guessing that it would kind of re-connect it. And as I said, it was only GoW it appeared under (and only today), and I've sent it back in the post about half a hour ago.

I think I'll try the towelie trick anyway if it does read RRoD. Then hopefully when I send it off I'll get the new Falcon motherboard... (smaller CPU from 90mm to 65mm, reducing the chance of RRoD from 30% to 10%) :)

Othello77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Othello77
Member since 2008 • 72 Posts
Mine started going blue in dark areas of all games. Maybe you just notice it because GoW is darkish. It ended up turning into an E74 message for me within a few weeks and my Xbox was replaced. It is a problem with the graphics card.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
sounds like graphic card on the mother board on the way out, id expect you to turn on and off one day after it getting really bad and it will be perm on then next time u reboot probally get the old E74 error. and send back to ms
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 djrobst

Well, if it keeps doing it, that may lead to the three red rings, which would be covered under warranty. The towel trick wouldn't do anything, since it's just rumoured to re-melt the solder connecting the video card to the motherboard, which was one of the more common red-ring causes.

At least, that's what I think it's supposed to do. I can't imagine wrapping the console in a towel doing much of anything other than burning out components.

DJ_Lae
its E74 coming on not 3 red lights. thats the graphics unit dying, and it aint covered by the ms 3 yr 3 rrod warranty. but if u get it do what i did out of warranty and say u got 3 red lights on the xbox and they will fix it anyways once collected.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 djrobst

Well I think what it is supposed to do is melt the components and be left for half a hour so they can harden. So I'm guessing that it would kind of re-connect it. And as I said, it was only GoW it appeared under (and only today), and I've sent it back in the post about half a hour ago.

I think I'll try the towelie trick anyway if it does read RRoD. Then hopefully when I send it off I'll get the new Falcon motherboard... (smaller CPU from 90mm to 65mm, reducing the chance of RRoD from 30% to 10%) :)

OXM-Madman
you wont get a falcon mother board. because you keep your powerbrick and the falcons use a different powerbrick which has a different voltage. so u will get the mother board replaced by ms and it will be one that fits in with what you already have in ur xbox. you dont need to towell trick it to send to ms, just tell them you have 3 red lights, they will ask about the light on the power brick say its green and they will arrange to colllect it from you. once collected it goes to the depo to get fixed and they dont check about the warranty at this stage but the run a test on the machine and find every fault and fix them all. so for example u might send off saying its RROD but if the dvd drive cud do with a replace they will fix that while its there. you wont get falcon etc unless you had rrod a few times and the problem is too bad they can replace the parts in the xbox then they will give u a refurb (most likely and still probs match the power brick u got at home so no falcon) or if u had the rrod a few times and sent back like 3 say and they cant fix they might give you a new console. one of my friends has had a new one sent back to him and it includeded new power brick the lot bar new hd drive and pads. but he did have a mega go at them for having his 3rd RROD in the space of 18 months
OXM-Madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 OXM-Madman

Oh ok, it's just last time I sent off my Xbox to them (I'm in the UK) I got a brand spanking new one (which is now a brand spanking breaking down one).

I am not bothered about it, as long as it lasts another 2 days (getting Far Cry 2 this friday ). But then again a 3 week wait... :(

OXM-Madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 OXM-Madman

By the way Othello I am very sure that it is only GoW, as I played a few games, stopped moving, then looked around on the screen for blue areas a couple of times.

And I am beginning to hope more and more it is the disc that was the problem, as as I mentioned GoW is the only game that does this.

Edit: After playing BioShock for 15 mintues I am more convinced it was a problem with GoW. I spent around half of the time looking for blue pixels, and I found nothing.

moz_exe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 moz_exe
Member since 2006 • 2374 Posts
Well it still does it with my brand new 360, so I doubt it is the graphics card...
69ANT69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 69ANT69
Member since 2007 • 8472 Posts
The disk is probably damaged.
OXM-Madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 OXM-Madman
In case you guys didn't notice by my recent edit, I really think it was the disc now. I played BioShock for 20 minutes and spent half that time looking for blue pixels. Guess what I found? Nothing. No visual problems whatsoever. The very worst that happened (and I'm guessing this was a game glitch) is when I equipped my camera for a split second everything in the game (as in I can still see the health and EVE bars as well as the ammount of film I had without any changed) had a green smoke effect, but that was probably because I was under a vent (I was on the level Neptune's Bounty).
OXM-Madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 OXM-Madman
My suspicions of my Xbox dying have reamerged. For the last 3 weeks or so in all of my games when I turn too quickly for a split second some areas of the screen just go white. It's happened in Fable 2, BioShock, GoW 2 (once in a area that was loading), and Dead Space. Also, even after installing it to my hard drive, at times the pop in for GTA IV becomes pretty bad. One example is that in the Booth tunnel one section of the tunnel had no lighting and only driving under it made it suddenly pop in, and upon entering the tunnel a awful lot of detail appeared all at once. Also the same thing happened with road lamps. Is my console dying?