star ocean: the last hope......the best rpg ever???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

eicole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 eicole
Member since 2009 • 79 Posts
star ocean: the last hope......the best rpg ever??? i think it is the best ever made game!!!! it's better than final fantasy!!! yeah!
GymFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 GymFox
Member since 2009 • 709 Posts

To each his own my friend, but i would take LO instead

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

No way it isn't even this gen JRPG. The only thing that saved this game from being uter crap was the fact it had a good battle system. Also the re-play is great (if you aren't playing for the story and characters). Well at least the story wasn't as bad as the story in SO3.

gggamezzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gggamezzz
Member since 2008 • 32 Posts
Nah...it was fun, but it was lacking in so many areas.
bendean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 bendean
Member since 2003 • 2531 Posts
lol i think not Final Fantasy X ftw!!
ShadowsRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ShadowsRunner
Member since 2006 • 742 Posts

After playing games like Lost Odeyssey, Eternal Sonata, Tales of vesperia and any other RPG on xbox 360. Star Ocean : The Last Hope disappoints me a lot. It's just aint fun at all. It is good when you are still in the main campaign but it's jsut annoying at the end.

ShadowsRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ShadowsRunner
Member since 2006 • 742 Posts

final fantasy would blow star ocean away by miles though

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#8 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Best ever? Dude, Mass Effect and Oblivion both blow anything out this gen out of the water. But if we're talking JRPGs, I'd go so far as to say that Eternal Sonata is my fave this generation.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I haven't even played it yet and I confidently say it's not even close to being the best RPG ever made. I'm sure it's an alright game, but nothing fantastic.

Avatar image for LABoxingFighter
LABoxingFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LABoxingFighter
Member since 2009 • 237 Posts
HELL NO! Tales of Vesperia shoulda got "Game of 2008"
sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts

It was fun, and I did complete it, however I liked Tales Of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata and even Infinite Undiscovery better. :?

MST3K_Servo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MST3K_Servo
Member since 2009 • 38 Posts

I think Star Ocean was really good, just lacking like others have said. It may sound silly but one thing that held it back for me were the horrible achievements, 80% of them are horribly time consuming and not fun to get. I wasnt a big fan of the item creation system either, going back to the ship to create things was inconvenient and farming for items was boring.

I would definitely say ToV is the best JRPG on the 360.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts

Best ever? Dude, Mass Effect and Oblivion both blow anything out this gen out of the water. But if we're talking JRPGs, I'd go so far as to say that Eternal Sonata is my fave this generation.

NeonNinja
Every so often you see a comment that completely surprises you... Eternal Sonata, really? I think we are the only two in the world that agree on this opinion. ME was great, and Oblivion was surpurb, but Eternal Sonata is still worth talking about and playing through again IMO. It had a great TB battle system that didn't require any poorly programmed AI to control your other party members, and it had a pretty interesting story and symbolism. I do plan on replaying all three again, but the first one to get a repeat was Eternal Sonata...
Laharl5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Laharl5
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

Chrono Trigger maybe.. and FF games close behind maybe..

2uneek4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 2uneek4u
Member since 2006 • 2548 Posts
i havent played star ocean yet since its not out till june in australia. but i have to say ffX > eternal sonata > lost odyssesy > last remnant Those are my fav JPRG ever. im also waiting for tales of vesperia to come out in australia.
gr8scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gr8scott
Member since 2003 • 1008 Posts
Star Ocean: Last Hope was a great RPG, but not the best rpg ever. I will say that I liked it better than any Final Fantasy RPG after FFX. Over the last few years, I have really grown to like western RPG games more. I'm not saying JRPG games are bad, but I am more interested in western RPG games than JRPG games. Thus, I find games like Mass Effect, KOTOR, Fallout 3, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Jade Empire more appealing to me than the newer Final Fantasy games, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, and Enchanted Arms. JRPG aren't bad games at all, but they don't appeal to me as much as they used to. I feel there are better RPG games available than Star Ocean: The Last Hope. However, Star Ocean: TLH is a great RPG and I'm glad I played it.
KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts

lol i think not Final Fantasy X ftw!!bendean

^This^.

iboo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 iboo01
Member since 2007 • 2784 Posts

To each his own my friend, but i would take LO instead

GymFox
same, I found SO just a bit too repetitive, the story line had errors, and at points was too difficult
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#19 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
It was fun but lacking in many areas of gameplay such as, voice acting and story line. Both were mediocre at best. That having been said, I still really enjoyed it but I'm a huge Star Ocean fan. I don't think it's anywhere NEAR Final Fantasy status.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jasonharris48

Best RPGs would still have to be XenoGears (PSX), PlaneScpae Torment and Vagrant Story IMO. Best FF title between FF6 and Tactics.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Well, I played about 20 minutes of it and turned it off.

Corny, dumb dialogue from yet another JRPG, I cant take any of them seriously.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jasonharris48

Shmiity

Let me give you a helpful tip. Never I mean never pla a Star Ocean title expecting to get a good cast of characters and story out of the game. As for the corny dumb dialouge from JRPG. You should give Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP version has a better translation), XenoGears (PSX), Vagrant Story (PSX),Some of the MegaTen games (you proably won't enjoy P3 and P4 to much though), Valkyrie Profile 1,2, Odin Sphere.Just stay away from the Star Ocean Series, Final Fantasy X, the Tales series. If you want to avoid the awful chesssy dialouge.

RCGV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RCGV
Member since 2006 • 218 Posts

Tales of Symphonia was my favorite JRPG. I've played through it about 4 times.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

its story was laughable

great gameplay tho

Avatar image for insomniac_loser
insomniac_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 insomniac_loser
Member since 2005 • 168 Posts

This is one i just couldnt get into, im a fan of many rpgs this one just didnt do it for me.

bokiloki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bokiloki
Member since 2008 • 1452 Posts

final fantasy 9 is the best ever. persona 3 and 4 are up there. final fantasy 10 and 12 are strong, kingdom hearts not reall an rpg but close enough are all better. just to name a few.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#27 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

raahsnavj

Every so often you see a comment that completely surprises you... Eternal Sonata, really? I think we are the only two in the world that agree on this opinion. ME was great, and Oblivion was surpurb, but Eternal Sonata is still worth talking about and playing through again IMO. It had a great TB battle system that didn't require any poorly programmed AI to control your other party members, and it had a pretty interesting story and symbolism. I do plan on replaying all three again, but the first one to get a repeat was Eternal Sonata...

I'd say we probably are the only two people who will consider that awesome. I really do love it, for the same reasons you pointed out. I've played throught it twice and it's really fun even on a second playthrough because of the Game+ after you beat it once. The battle system in particular is one of the best I've played. It's very innovative and fun, and I especially love how it becomes more and more complex the more you progress through the game. The final level of the battle system is just ridiculously fun and keeps you on your toes the whole time. It's an excellent game, and I'm glad to see someone else likes it as much as I do.

Pelm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#28 Pelm
Member since 2004 • 162 Posts

umm hell no unless you considered how totally long it is then yeah but if were talking quality then no its so uneven in realism so off in voice acting, and so off in real time movement that it's not even remotely funny. The way the characters act, talk and even look turn a lot of gamers off even me and i'm a huge rpg fan. But because it's so long and the battle system is good that matches and saves it from doom. i'm not going to review it here but I will tell you what's true and what's not and quite frankly the truth is star ocean 4 is NOT the best rpg ever, the best rpg ever is without a doubt: Fallout 3. That has got to be THE best rpg I have ever played I mean the things i could even go into about that game is sick. No star ocean 4 does not match on any level with Fallout 3 and frankly I don't think any rpg does... not now anyways.

Sophette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sophette
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts

While I couldn't call it the best ever, it was one of the better JRPG's on the 360. The characters are way too generic for my taste and every time I hear 'kay, my blood pressure goes up. Of course, you don't play Star Ocean games for the story, you play them for the amazing battle system, IC and overly dramatic private actions.

Pelm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pelm

sophietta, i don't think you even readwhat i said, i was comparing so 4 to FO 3, and then ended by saying that FO 3 is the best rpg ever, so where did you get so 4 was the best rpg ever out of that?

sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts

sophietta, i don't think you even readwhat i said, i was comparing so 4 to FO 3, and then ended by saying that FO 3 is the best rpg ever, so where did you get so 4 was the best rpg ever out of that?

Pelm

What are you talking about he didn't suggest you said that?

Pelm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pelm

everbody KNOWS FO 3 is the best rpg ever

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

[QUOTE="Shmiity"]

jasonharris48

Let me give you a helpful tip. Never I mean never pla a Star Ocean title expecting to get a good cast of characters and story out of the game. As for the corny dumb dialouge from JRPG. You should give Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP version has a better translation), XenoGears (PSX), Vagrant Story (PSX),Some of the MegaTen games (you proably won't enjoy P3 and P4 to much though), Valkyrie Profile 1,2, Odin Sphere.Just stay away from the Star Ocean Series, Final Fantasy X, the Tales series. If you want to avoid the awful chesssy dialouge.

Yeah Tales of Vesperia dialogues were cheesy