Spencer hoping to Strengthen Japanese support

#1 Posted by Ovirew (9103 posts) -

via IGN.

XBOX lead Phil Spencer says it's looking like we can expect to see some Japanese games at this year's E3 on June 10th. He is working to try and get some Japanese publishers' projects into their main showings, stressing that "support from Japanese publishers has been a focus", and singling out SEGA as one of the companies he'd like to see the XBox One get more franchises from.

Article also goes on to mention the ambiguous fate of Scalebound, which was cancelled last year, but had its trademark renewed. It's unclear whether Microsoft did this to keep hold of the IP, or if there still may be hope for Platinum Games' long-in-development JRPG.

Wondering what everyone thinks?

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the XBox One get more Japanese games, and receive more support abroad. But as I've said for a few years now, I don't think they should go out of their way for developers and publishers that would rather ignore the American console.

I am appreciative of good Japanese games that have made it to the console, such as the Souls games, ReCore, and the upcoming remaster of the first two Shenmue games. I would love to see XBox improve its 3rd-party support in that way, but I still think that is less important than Microsoft strengthening its 1st-party offerings.

#2 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19169 posts) -

@Ovirew said:

via IGN.

XBOX lead Phil Spencer says it's looking like we can expect to see some Japanese games at this year's E3 on June 10th. He is working to try and get some Japanese publishers' projects into their main showings, stressing that "support from Japanese publishers has been a focus", and singling out SEGA as one of the companies he'd like to see the XBox One get more franchises from.

Article also goes on to mention the ambiguous fate of Scalebound, which was cancelled last year, but had its trademark renewed. It's unclear whether Microsoft did this to keep hold of the IP, or if there still may be hope for Platinum Games' long-in-development JRPG.

Wondering what everyone thinks?

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the XBox One get more Japanese games, and receive more support abroad. But as I've said for a few years now, I don't think they should go out of their way for developers and publishers that would rather ignore the American console.

I am appreciative of good Japanese games that have made it to the console, such as the Souls games, ReCore, and the upcoming remaster of the first two Shenmue games. I would love to see XBox improve its 3rd-party support in that way, but I still think that is less important than Microsoft strengthening its 1st-party offerings.

Yeah agreed. They should make it as easy as possible for Japanese devs to bring their games to Xbox, but don't throw money at them hoping they bring their games over. That money would be better spent improving their Western games output, IMO.

#3 Posted by Cboy95 (171 posts) -

Possibly an Xbox One port of Nier Automata or Persona 5? I hate third-party exclusives.

#4 Edited by Abdulelah12300 (6 posts) -

Hi

#5 Edited by Ovirew (9103 posts) -

@cboy95: I never played the Nier games, but the people behind Drakengard made them and I enjoyed that, so I'd probably be willing to try it.

Persona 5 is one of the ps4 jrpg exclusives I'd like to be able to play. I just wouldn't go out and pay top dollar for it.

It would be good to see some newer Japanese games get xbox one releases. I don't even care if it's exclusive or multi-plat, just getting support from the East would be wonderful.

#6 Posted by Alucard_Prime (10107 posts) -

On that front I would like to see more Shoot em ups and Action RPG games, there is already a nice amount of those(especially shoot em ups), but these are genres I love so more is always better. JRPGs I don't really need more, I rarely play them, I can enjoy them from time to time but I usually prefer to play something else. I did get the Ys game recently and I have a few in my backlog so I'm good with those.

#7 Edited by Cboy95 (171 posts) -

Maybe bringing Blazblue Cross Tag Battle to Xbox?

#8 Posted by I_P_Daily (12363 posts) -

Would love to see MS get Mistwalker to do sequels to Lost Odyssey & Blue Dragon.

#9 Posted by robert_sparkes (3241 posts) -

Lost odyssey would be good but I doubt it would sell well enough to be worth the investment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8284346a788
#10 Posted by deactivated-5b8284346a788 (295 posts) -

@cboy95 said:

Possibly an Xbox One port of Nier Automata or Persona 5? I hate third-party exclusives.

I doubt that would happen. I'm not sure if Sony has some kind of influence over that either.