Some Gears fans are like ostriches...

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JJpenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 JJpenguin
Member since 2006 • 955 Posts
seriously, anyone that says gears is rubbish seems to get called a troll, fanboy or pirate while they get shouted abuse at, all the while a few people stick their heads in the sand and keep saying how awesome gears 2 will be, I preordered this game, but I'm willing to accept crtiscism, as are many people who like this game. So to those of you (and you know who you are) who are so narrow minded that they can't comprehend gears being anything other that amazing...well, perhaps take a more open minded stance.
Avatar image for torontomapleafs
torontomapleafs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 torontomapleafs
Member since 2006 • 2019 Posts
Because most of the people that criticize Gears 2 and say they have played it are just Cows. Besides why do you care this is a gaming forum where their is suppose to be alot of debating.
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
People who criticise Gears 2 are people who are afraid of how good it will be.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts
yeah the reason is because people who say gears suk are 99.9% sony fanboys and gears just is that good its not like it completely revolutionized the gaming industry but what it all comes down to is is how fun it is and gears is really really fun
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

wow you guys really are fanboysphearx

i just speak the truth not everyone has to be gears fan but in the end most of the people on this website that denounce it are fanboys i dont go around saying MGS4 suks or Mario suks. Im not even a fan of mario but i admit that the games are good.

Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts
Why do you care if people talk trash about the game.. You like it, who cares what they think.
DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

seriously, anyone that says gears is rubbish seems to get called a troll, fanboy or pirate while they get shouted abuse at, all the while a few people stick their heads in the sand and keep saying how awesome gears 2 will be, I preordered this game, but I'm willing to accept crtiscism, as are many people who like this game. So to those of you (and you know who you are) who are so narrow minded that they can't comprehend gears being anything other that amazing...well, perhaps take a more open minded stance.JJpenguin

some people just dont understand that statements made against gears or any other game for that matter are simply opinions.

I personaly did not like the first one as much as hoped I would. The campaign co-op was a blast. The MP was meh because it always came down to who was the most luck with a random shotgun blast.

i'm still getting gears 2 for the campaign and maybe the MP since Ive read that they fixed some of the problems it had before. Also, new games are always $10-15 cheaper release week at my local circuit city.

K0H17K1LL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 K0H17K1LL
Member since 2008 • 63 Posts
lol i really don't like gear's..... Halo's great though
RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts

[QUOTE="JJpenguin"]seriously, anyone that says gears is rubbish seems to get called a troll, fanboy or pirate while they get shouted abuse at, all the while a few people stick their heads in the sand and keep saying how awesome gears 2 will be, I preordered this game, but I'm willing to accept crtiscism, as are many people who like this game. So to those of you (and you know who you are) who are so narrow minded that they can't comprehend gears being anything other that amazing...well, perhaps take a more open minded stance.DJSAV_101

some people just dont understand that statements made against gears or any other game for that matter are simply opinions.

I personaly did not like the first one as much as hoped I would. The campaign co-op was a blast. The MP was meh because it always came down to who was the most luck with a random shotgun blast.

i'm still getting gears 2 for the campaign and maybe the MP since Ive read that they fixed some of the problems it had before. Also, new games are always $10-15 cheaper release week at my local circuit city.

You and me are the opposite. Campaign was a little short and dry, but I LOVED online. I've put weeks of gameplay into this game.

Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Matt-4542
lol i really don't like gear's..... Halo's great thoughK0H17K1LL
I was waiting for a Halo fanboy to start something :roll:
alstevens83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 alstevens83
Member since 2008 • 1462 Posts

Doesn't bother me if some people slag off the game, They have an option. However I enjoyed the first one both on and off line. Of course some people are going to slag it off because they dont like it, but then again if everyone enjoys the same things then the world would be a very very borning place to be.

Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Matt-4542

Doesn't bother me if some people slag off the game, They have an option. However I enjoyed the first one both on and off line. Of course some people are going to slag it off because they dont like it, but then again if everyone enjoys the same things then the world would be a very very borning place to be.

alstevens83
Option? Do you mean opinion, or am I just reading something wrong?
butteman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 butteman12
Member since 2005 • 2726 Posts

[QUOTE="K0H17K1LL"]lol i really don't like gear's..... Halo's great thoughMatt-4542

wow some people are really sensitive. he was just saying he likes halo beatter than gears. i see nothing fanboyish/wrong with that.

Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Ps2stony
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
People who criticise Gears 2 are people who are afraid of how good it will be.xTheExploited
Deep. You're one of the targets of this thread apparently.
JohnnyPr1827x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JohnnyPr1827x
Member since 2008 • 228 Posts

seriously, anyone that says gears is rubbish seems to get called a troll, fanboy or pirate while they get shouted abuse at, all the while a few people stick their heads in the sand and keep saying how awesome gears 2 will be, I preordered this game, but I'm willing to accept crtiscism, as are many people who like this game. So to those of you (and you know who you are) who are so narrow minded that they can't comprehend gears being anything other that amazing...well, perhaps take a more open minded stance.JJpenguin

Who ever thinks Gears is rubbish is a ***** thats my opinion, i'm no Gears fanboy but i know a good game when i play one. Gears Of War 2 will be one of the best games of 08 no doubt about it, but i say Fallout 3 will dominate all competition and before anyone calls me a Fallout fanboy let me tell you think... I have never played a fallout game.

Edit: Don't use that word. - Aspro

K0H17K1LL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 K0H17K1LL

[QUOTE="Matt-4542"][QUOTE="K0H17K1LL"]lol i really don't like gear's..... Halo's great thoughbutteman12

wow some people are really sensitive. he was just saying he likes halo beatter than gears. i see nothing fanboyish/wrong with that.

i was to be a fanboy of any.... it would be sony but i never show it, i'm not immautre like some people..

K0H17K1LL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 K0H17K1LL
[QUOTE="butteman12"]

[QUOTE="Matt-4542"][QUOTE="K0H17K1LL"]lol i really don't like gear's..... Halo's great thoughK0H17K1LL

i was to be a fanboy of any.... it would be sony but i never show it, i'm not immautre like some people..

and well sence i am getting called a fanboy anyway..... i was going to say CoD:WaW is going to be better and so is MGS4

but i was keeping it to the X360 (only) game's.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion and people should respect that. I've barely touched my copy of Gears not saying it's bad but i'm too busy.
4dry4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 4dry4n
Member since 2007 • 1411 Posts
Because the developers of the game would be totally insane if they messed the game up. There is a vely low chance that games coming from a sucessful title blow their sequel. If the Gears team are smart as they should be they should just stick to the same formula & add a little bit of sum, sumthin.
Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Matt-4542
[QUOTE="K0H17K1LL"][QUOTE="butteman12"]

[QUOTE="Matt-4542"][QUOTE="K0H17K1LL"]lol i really don't like gear's..... Halo's great thoughK0H17K1LL

and well sence i am getting called a fanboy anyway..... i was going to say CoD:WaW is going to be better and so is MGS4

but i was keeping it to the X360 (only) game's.

No, sorry. I just read your post as if you were trying to start something, my bad.

DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DataDream
Member since 2004 • 3195 Posts

ostriches>penguins!

LOL - couldn't help it - do you have a bird obsession or something. :)

I love GeOW but it's cool if you don't. Who cares - there's allot of games I loke that no one else does and vice versa. Variety is the spice of life.

JetSpiderMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JetSpiderMan
Member since 2007 • 220 Posts

Because most of the people that criticize Gears 2 and say they have played it are just Cows. Besides why do you care this is a gaming forum where their is suppose to be alot of debating.torontomapleafs

Yea it does suck dude, my friend has a modded XBOX and he downloaded it last week, its the same game nothing that new about it case closed........modding FTW have fun till NOV 7

RobNBankz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RobNBankz
Member since 2008 • 483 Posts

Gears 2 will be amazing, at least for me. They have improved on almost everything I asked for so I won't be disappointed. Also, it has bots. It's about time games started adding in bots, they've been around forever but developers never chose to add them.

jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts
I think Gears 2 will be good. I liked the first one a lot. BTW being called a troll for stating you opinions is nothing new. I actually just came from the PS3 forum where I was a troll for not liking that piece of tripe Ubisoft calls Far Cry 2.
dragonps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 dragonps
Member since 2007 • 1702 Posts
At the end of the day a lot of people bad mouth games and never give a valid reason why. These are the kind of people who spend their time trolling on forums rather than actually playing the game.
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

yeah the reason is because people who say gears suk are 99.9% sony fanboys and gears just is that good its not like it completely revolutionized the gaming industry but what it all comes down to is is how fun it is and gears is really really funGen007

Gears 1 wasnt very fun for me and i dont own a sony console.

Quintinius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Quintinius
Member since 2006 • 1050 Posts

The reason most Gears fan respond like that is because the game doesn't "suck", it just isn't good in YOUR OPINION. And on the internet, no one cares about your opinion. Sad but true.

Go onto the PS3/Wii/PC forum and say that MGS4/SSBB/Crysis sucks and you'll get the EXACT SAME reaction. Don't put down Gears fan for a natural human reaction.

terabyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 terabyt
Member since 2008 • 52 Posts
lol i really don't like gear's..... Halo's great thoughK0H17K1LL
I'm the opposite. But I don't see why we can't get along!
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts
Gears enjoyed enormous commercial and critical success, and is still a very popular game. If someone is going to pop into a forum, and explicitly disagree with Gears' Metacritic rating and sales figures, then they're basically saying that the gaming press and the gaming public are wrong. If you're going to say that the majority is wrong, then you'd better have a damn good argument to go along with that position. The problem is, most people who start these sort of threads don't have good arguments. They usually don't have any argument at all. It's either, "I think the game sucks!", to which I respond, "Thank for sharing your opinion. You get 3 internets," or it's just "the game sucks!" to which I respond, "Why don't you do something as breathtakingly rational as providing some reasons why you think the game sucks, compared to other games in the genre?"
JJpenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JJpenguin

Wow, just wow...

granted, most of the people posting here have put forward something useful, but the fanboys...

nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
yea seriously why cant I say Halo 3 is great or Gears is great? oh wait I can, but then I would be a fanboy.
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mimic-Denmark

Gears enjoyed enormous commercial and critical success, and is still a very popular game. If someone is going to pop into a forum, and explicitly disagree with Gears' Metacritic rating and sales figures, then they're basically saying that the gaming press and the gaming public are wrong. If you're going to say that the majority is wrong, then you'd better have a damn good argument to go along with that position. The problem is, most people who start these sort of threads don't have good arguments. They usually don't have any argument at all. It's either, "I think the game sucks!", to which I respond, "Thank for sharing your opinion. You get 3 internets," or it's just "the game sucks!" to which I respond, "Why don't you do something as breathtakingly rational as providing some reasons why you think the game sucks, compared to other games in the genre?"Palantas

The gaming press and etc. is also just opinions.

Want a good argument.

I mostly play games for their single player, im not much into the muliplayer part, seems a little pointless to me. Coop i like, because there, there are some objectives, goals, working together in single player missions with a friend. Thats where i had the most fun with in gears.

But the game itself for me, was a mediocre single player experience, with very repetitive gameplay, cliched characters and basicly no real story.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Palantas

mimic-Denmark

I hear that one a lot too, from people who have unpopular opinions. If a person believes that everything is just opinion, then they should not be involved in any thread talking about whether any game is "good," "so-so," "bad," or anything else.

But the game itself for me, was a mediocre single player experience, with very repetitive gameplay, cliched characters and basicly no real story.

mimic-Denmark

You completely fail to qualify any of the terms you use here. I'll take "mediocre" as a statement of your general hypothesis. Following that, you have three points, two of which are bascially the same thing.

You say "repetitive gameplay." Okay, repetitive compared to what? If you don't like straight-forward action shooters, and you like games with more thinking diversions (read: "puzzles") then fine; play Half-Life. "Repetitive" is such a generic term, that you might have well said you didn't like the game because of "stuff and things."

And you criticize the story/characters. I was just talking about that on this forum. I'll save myself some typing and copy/paste:

Whenever someone doesn't like a game, any game in any genre, for any reason, there is one complaint that you can always to count on seeing: "The story sucked." This is always just simply stated, with no qualifying remarks. Some gamers think they're William ****ing Shakespeare, the way they go around criticizing every story in every game.

...What could they have done to make the story better? Keep in mind, you're talking about action games here. If your complaint centers around a lack of depth, then you're missing the point. That's like complaining about the story in movies like Commando or Rambo. The story's only there to provide some justification for lots of gunplay and explosions. If you're complaint centers around the characters, then again, you're missing the point. In a shooter, I don't want to stop every five minutes and have Mass Effect-sty|e conversations with my squad mates.

I

What's wrong with the story in Gears? There's zombies attacking your planet from underground. Kill them. Most shooters have extremely straight-forward stories. If you want a complex story and detailed characters, then dig up Planescape: Torment, install it on your PC, and stay away from shooters.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

i enjoyed the first Geow and already pre-ordered Geow2, since its been my most anticipated title this year on 360..

Personally i accept all criticism games i like receive, cause its impossible that a game pleases everyone... however i ignore most of the posts filled with bashing that GREAT games (mostly exclusive to a system) such as Geow2 receive since these people are mostly fanboys who dont even own the system, so they just bash what they cant play/enjoy..

Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts

Why do you care if people talk trash about the game.. You like it, who cares what they think.Matt-4542

amen to that

olpfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 olpfan
Member since 2004 • 836 Posts

well you can say gears of war 2 is going to be awesome because its not out yet. Dont get me wrong im a huge fan of Gears 1 and i hope Gears 2 is just as good if not better. But any game can be crappy, just like any movie can be crappy. Just because you see a trailer for it and it "looks" good doesn't mean its going to be. There are so many things they can screw up. The controls, story, etc.... Fallout 3 could be a bad game, you never know till you play it.

Dont say you like Gears 2 without even playing it.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
People who criticise Gears 2 are people who are afraid of how good it will be.xTheExploited
Exactly, most of the Gears hate comes from Sony fanboys who never even played it, and from people who got owned online in Gears multiplayer and try to hate on it because of that. Gears of War 2 will simply be the best game, it even beats MGS4 in my mind by FAR, the only downside is the bad shotgun in Gears 2 other than that the game is AMAZING. People just don't like Microsoft to have any exclusives that they can actually tout as simply the best!
terabyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 terabyt
Member since 2008 • 52 Posts

Gears 2 will be amazing, at least for me. They have improved on almost everything I asked for so I won't be disappointed. Also, it has bots. It's about time games started adding in bots, they've been around forever but developers never chose to add them.

RobNBankz

Bots? So you can randomly fight AI locust/cog?

olpfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 olpfan
Member since 2004 • 836 Posts

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"]People who criticise Gears 2 are people who are afraid of how good it will be.gamer082009
Exactly, most of the Gears hate comes from Sony fanboys who never even played it, and from people who got owned online in Gears multiplayer and try to hate on it because of that. Gears of War 2 will simply be the best game, it even beats MGS4 in my mind by FAR, the only downside is the bad shotgun in Gears 2 other than that the game is AMAZING. People just don't like Microsoft to have any exclusives that they can actually tout as simply the best!

what if the game turns out to not be the best game ever made?........you'd look pretty foolish dont you think

Avatar image for ItalianSta11ion
ItalianSta11ion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ItalianSta11ion
Member since 2004 • 1893 Posts
soo i take it you kind of have a thing for penguins?
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mimic-Denmark

[QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"]

Palantas

I hear that one a lot too, from people who have unpopular opinions. If a person believes that everything is just opinion, then they should not be involved in any thread talking about whether any game is "good," "so-so," "bad," or anything else.

mimic-Denmark

You completely fail to qualify any of the terms you use here. I'll take "mediocre" as a statement of your general hypothesis. Following that, you have three points, two of which are bascially the same thing.

You say "repetitive gameplay." Okay, repetitive compared to what? If you don't like straight-forward action shooters, and you like games with more thinking diversions (read: "puzzles") then fine; play Half-Life. "Repetitive" is such a generic term, that you might have well said you didn't like the game because of "stuff and things."

And you criticize the story/characters. I was just talking about that on this forum. I'll save myself some typing and copy/paste:

Whenever someone doesn't like a game, any game in any genre, for any reason, there is one complaint that you can always to count on seeing: "The story sucked." This is always just simply stated, with no qualifying remarks. Some gamers think they're William ****ing Shakespeare, the way they go around criticizing every story in every game.

...What could they have done to make the story better? Keep in mind, you're talking about action games here. If your complaint centers around a lack of depth, then you're missing the point. That's like complaining about the story in movies like Commando or Rambo. The story's only there to provide some justification for lots of gunplay and explosions. If you're complaint centers around the characters, then again, you're missing the point. In a shooter, I don't want to stop every five minutes and have Mass Effect-sty|e conversations with my squad mates.

I

What's wrong with the story in Gears? There's zombies attacking your planet from underground. Kill them. Most shooters have extremely straight-forward stories. If you want a complex story and detailed characters, then dig up Planescape: Torment, install it on your PC, and stay away from shooters.

And those that liked a game, digs up the high review scores and use em as fact, when review scores are in fact just an opinion.

Are you so insecure?

And i did give you very valid points to why i didnt like gears 1 that much.

What i gave was an opinoin, like with what you gave.

69ANT69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 69ANT69
Member since 2007 • 8472 Posts
I'm a huge Gears fan, but I don't go shouting abuse at peoples opinions.
SirCokerThe9th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SirCokerThe9th
Member since 2008 • 682 Posts
Peolpe who criticize gears 2 have every right to criticize it. Cause we can just ignore them :P
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Palantas

And those that liked a game, digs up the high review scores and use em as fact, when review scores are in fact just an opinion.

mimic-Denmark

I already addressed this. Yeah, I get your position: There's no standard (sales, critical reception, fan base) by which to judge a game, and any game can be perfect and crap at the same time, and this is all pointless. The difference between critics and (many) forum posters is that critics qualify their claims. If they think a game is bad (or good), they'll provide a number of reasons for it. Forum dilettantes just post up "This game sucks," like we're supposed to take their word as divine writ. Or they'll come up with generic, inexplicable, or just plain incorrect reasons why they didn't like a game. When it's pointed out that their rational is generic, inexplicable, or wrong, they simply respond "It's my opinion! Go away!"

Are you so insecure?

mimic-Denmark

Meaningless ad hominem attack. Moving on:

And i did give you very valid points to why i didnt like gears 1 that much.

mimic-Denmark

They may be valid reasons to you, but they're pretty silly reasons when placed in a larger context than your own gaming experience. The reasons you gave (didn't I already say this?) are generic criticisms that can be applied to most any game. Here, I'll do it. I'll pick a game at random:

Castle Crashers is a mediocre game. It has clichéd characters and no real story.

I could have

Substitute "Castle Crashers" with Gears or pretty well any other game, and we've got your "argument" there. If you don't like a game for random, generic reasons, then fine. Dislike away. However, expect your position to come under criticism if you go post it up on a public forum, like you did.

JJpenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JJpenguin
^ that may well be the greatest pwnage in the history of mankind
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts

[QUOTE="gamer082009"][QUOTE="xTheExploited"]People who criticise Gears 2 are people who are afraid of how good it will be.olpfan

what if the game turns out to not be the best game ever made?........you'd look pretty foolish dont you think

Actually I've already played it and I'm absolutely speachless, it's just I'm not at liberty to discuss it due to forum rules put in place regarding Gears 2 info. Lets just say, when you thought Gears of War couldn't get better, oh boy they really done it again with part 2 (wait and see)...it does!
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
Idk what the big deal is.. played Gears 1, amazing co-op, lots of fun... but the online/multiplayer part didn't intrigue me..