So who else is disappointed with how overpriced and crappy DLC is getting?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts

First of all, I love DLC. I think it is a great way for developers to expand the time their customers play their games. Lately, though, I feel like I've been overwhelemed with DLC that is extremely overpriced and questionable in quality.

Examples:

Resident Evil 5: Pretty obvious. Felt tacked on and it is an extremely umbalanced versus mode that should of came with the game when it came out. $5.

Prince of Persia: $10 for less than two hours of gameplay. Hell, one of the achievements even SAYS to beat it in under two hours. I read that they took their fan's opinion to heart about the game being too easy, to they claim they raised the difficulty. Basically, all they did was make the game really dark and frustrating, not challenging.

Fable 2: Knothole Island was $10, and it took about one and a half to two hours to beat it completely and I wasn't rushing it. No additional enemies, and most of the items added were worse than the ones already available. See the Future was only $7, but it only had two quests attached to it and could be completed in less than two hours.

Fallout 3: These are the most disappointing for me considering Bethesda used to offer great add-ons for Oblivion for a very reasonable price. Considering that Operation Anchorage and The Pitt both cost $10, IMO they don't even come close in quality to Knights of the Nine for Oblivion. I would say the same thing for Broken Steel if they didn't increase the level cap along with it.

Maps are the worst in my opinion. They are should DEFINITELY not cost ANYTHING. I know that Microsoft has a rule where if something adds new achievements, then the developers are required to charge money for it...but still. They're maps. They should be added to try to keep people playing their games, not to get more money out of them. Considering that most map packs are $10 for three maps, this is unacceptable since a full game cost $60 new.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the recent Halo Wars DLC as well.

What happened to cheap DLC? Considering I only really bought things for Oblivion, I was used to getting pretty awesome stuff for a pretty low price. I remember when nearly every arcade game used to get $5, too. Now it seems like nearly everything on the marketplace is $10.

I know this post will get a lot of the cliched "if you don't want it, then don't buy it" reponses, but I still wanted to post it anyway.

Joss09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Joss09
Member since 2009 • 263 Posts

Exact same post about this yesterday, no offense but do people even look at the boards before they post?

Yes DLC is overpriced for some games but if you don't like it well, I'm sorry.

tktomo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 tktomo01
Member since 2008 • 1476 Posts
Crappy? Eh, I certainly wouldn't say so. I love the DLC side-quests for Fallout 3 (granted, I never had Oblivion or its DLC), and Gears 2 and Halo 3 have had some really awesome maps. Overpriced? Uh, definately.
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts

Exact same post about this yesterday, no offense but do people even look at the boards before they post?

Yes DLC is overpriced for some games but if you don't like it well, I'm sorry.

Joss09

I haven't been on this site for a couple weeks so I'm not going to check if someone made a similar thread. If it bothers you so much then don't post.

Spider-Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Spider-Jim
Member since 2006 • 335 Posts

Yes ovepriced!!! And who cares if someone posts a similar thread , that's the nature of forums. Not all of us spend their free time reading everything.

WARHOPPER74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 WARHOPPER74
Member since 2009 • 175 Posts

I agree but if you dont want to get ripped off read reviews. Unevenly priced downloads is my problem, what am i supposed to do with the 40 points left over. Once i have one theme i dont want a new one the next week

XXGamerfanXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 XXGamerfanXX
Member since 2009 • 1066 Posts

As much as I love DLC, you are 100% right. The DLC is just getting disappointed so far, why would i spent 400 points (i think) on Resident Evil 5 multiplayer when it should be in the game the first place? Who does this cr@p really? I just think stuff like this should be in the game in the first place, especially the freaking Maps. The only DLC I do enjoyed are the expansions, like GTA 4: Lost and D@mned, Fallout 3 (Broken Steel), oblivion (All DLC), and stuff. Besides that, everything should be in the game the first place anyways.

LightColor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LightColor
Member since 2006 • 2709 Posts
yeah some of the DLC r really stupid, like the street fighter thing lol funny stuff, good thing i don't really buy DLCs ye!
STARXWOLF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 STARXWOLF
Member since 2009 • 758 Posts

im tired of people posting stuff like this its really your fault thatyou buy the DLC thatyou dont like...i mean you only have to buythe DLCif you think its worth it and if you really want it:!::roll:

Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts

don't buy it then

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Shidira
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts

Yes, DLC is overprices, but that's why they have demos for the games (maps and add-ons excluded), so try the demo out and buy it if you like it, otherwise, leave it be. You can also find reviews, screenshots, and more for the DLC and see if it's worth the price. Would I love to see DLC become cheaper? Absolutely. Is it going to happen? Most likely not.

Carpe_Noctum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Carpe_Noctum
Member since 2002 • 1369 Posts

Some stuff is worth it, some is not. A lot of times I think that I would buy something if it was half the price. LIVE does have a new deal each week were they discount something; sometimes it's a game, sometimes a map-pack or add-on and sometimes it's something worthless. Keep an eye on those deals, you might find something you like for a reasonable price.When Shivering Isle came out on disk and was $20 that was great; you could share it and even sell it when you were done with it if you wanted.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11996 Posts

I love how overpriced it is.

The more expensive the better, that's what I say.

It makes DLC only for the ultra-elite, like me.

SirRiffAlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SirRiffAlot
Member since 2008 • 256 Posts

I am absolutely appalled by the quality of DLC. I'm not buying anymore until something comes out that I know is good, mainly a package of updates for TF2. (Scout, Sniper and Spy ESPECIALLY.)

gamer_10001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 gamer_10001
Member since 2006 • 2588 Posts

I hate it when they make it very obvious that they are ripping off their customers.

Remember those EA games where the code was already on the disc...

More recently there's the Gears of War 2 content. $10 for Combustable, $10 for Snowblind, $20 for Dark Corners if you buy everything online. Then MS will off a $20 retail package including all this and a few other things too. That's around $3 a map online and closer to a $1.50 retail. Wasn't online supposed to be easier, more convenient, and cheaper since they don't have to distribute the discs and give the store that sells it a cut?!!?

djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
well games are over priced themselves so dlc is bound to be. ive had no problem paying for stuff ive downloaded and ive only bought stuff thats added to the games and gave me alot more time and interest to get more time out the games. alot of games only last 8/9 hours nowadays anyways. so if the dlc adds 2 hours for a fraction of the cost then it aint as bad as it sounds. but you should really research what you buy and you will never have this problem with buying stuff u dont like. i for one heard about the persia dlc being not so good because i read the reviews all over the web, same with halo wars dlc and i never bought it. your just a suckka for wasting your money, you should take the same care as you would when buying a new game as you do with dlc and then you wont get burned with crap what isnt over priced these days for consoles. the games cost way more than the dlc, thats where the prices need to drop first before dlc
atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts
It's called business. Besides, M$ makes up for overpriced DLC through some free content and related things. I wouldn't say that this entirely makes up for the DLC price issue, but it alleviates at least some of it.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
I feel that the price of DLC should come down over time. The price of games falls, and yet the DLC stays at the same high price, to the point where the DLC can be more expensive to buy than the game. This happened with Oblivion, where the cost of the game fell in stores, so that it cost less than either of the DLC packs (KOTN and Shivering Isles), and eventually even the GOTY edition which included those packs, was cheaper to buy than just the DLC. While I'm really enjoying Fallout 3, that is heading the same way. Now with 5 planned DLC packs at 800 MS each, but with a GOTY edition planned as well. It will be cheaper to rebuy the game as part of the GOTY, than it would be to buy the content packs. Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't the game be the most expensive part to buy?
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

I agree that DLC is overpriiced considering already paying $60. Us gamers/consumers need to keep each other posted on what content sucks and stop buying them to get microsoft ..etc to make a change on costs. if we keep buying dlc the cost will never change.

-Phaz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -Phaz-
Member since 2006 • 927 Posts
It does suck that DLC is soo expensive, but at the end of the day microsoft is a business and you dont become rich by giving stuff away for free.
Jaidyn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jaidyn1
Member since 2009 • 319 Posts
I dont really mind about the price! i think the prices are high because alot of people like them and they will buy no matter the what the price is :P
Mr_arizona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mr_arizona
Member since 2006 • 3829 Posts

People are buying there dlc, ust because you don't like doesn't mean someone else didn't like it.

I have nothing against capcom for charging us $5 for dlc,they get money and I get to play awesome multiplayer in my opinion.

Should it have been on disc? Yes.

Did they know people like me would gladly give them $5 for it anyways? Yes.

As long as games like Halo and gears don't try this idea I think we are ok.