So Project Scorpio is a Next Gen Console, Right?

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

It's not a "half-step" like the rumored PS4.5/PS4K/PS4 Neo, right?

Microsoft has been for a while now trying to combine their Windows and Xbox platforms into some type of unified system. The end game seems to be a family of Xbox consoles that all games can scale across (old games on the new systems, new games on the old systems) just like PC. Microsoft claimed as much for at least the XBO and Scorpio.

And in this sense, Project Scorpio would be the end of the "traditional" hardware cycle where one generation replaces another. As long as games are made to scale with the hardware like PC games do, Microsoft could bring out a new console any time they want. They could even launch a high end model alongside a cheaper model with lower specs at the same time. It's like this generation is being extended indefinitely.

So the real question that I was hiding until the end: is Sony also pulling this same shtick with the Neo? The rumors are that it'll share its library with the PS4... so does that mean Sony had the same plan? Is this generation the "last" generation because it'll go on forever?

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

No, but it will be the most powerful console ever released capable of 4k gaming (so they say) but share a library with the Xbox One. But it's dumb because you might as well buy a gaming PC because the scorpio will cost at least $800.

panda30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 panda30
Member since 2016 • 941 Posts

Microsoft forcing Sony into a Wall

NX and Scorpio will be 2017 consol so now they have to make a move or Stay behind

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I wont talk about Sony other than to say good luck to their conference, I'm watching it in a bit....prefer to leave that opinion of mine in SW board.

Regarding the generation label for the Scropio, yes and no. The power gap with current Xbox One seems massive, so yes for that in terms of generational leap. But they also said all XOne games and accessories will work on the Scorpio, so that is where it distinguishes itself from my past experiences, for the consoles I owned. That is the aspect that sold me on the Scorpio, that what I'm investing in the XOne now will carry over.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

I wont talk about Sony other than to say good luck to their conference, I'm watching it in a bit....prefer to leave that opinion of mine in SW board.

Regarding the generation label for the Scropio, yes and no. The power gap with current Xbox One seems massive, so yes for that in terms of generational leap. But they also said all XOne games and accessories will work on the Scorpio, so that is where it distinguishes itself from my past experiences, for the consoles I owned. That is the aspect that sold me on the Scorpio, that what I'm investing in the XOne now will carry over.

Yep, this.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@JayQproductions: I think people hear 6TFLOPS and immediately think $700 GPU, but AMD is showing off $200 GPU's that can pull that off now. I really don't see Scorpio being over $600, and honestly, it'll probably be $400-500 with MS taking a financial hit to sell them and recouping the money on the games. This isn't just an attempt to have the most powerful console. it's meant to punch Sony right in the teeth and stagger them.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@suicidesn0wman said:

@JayQproductions: I think people hear 6TFLOPS and immediately think $700 GPU, but AMD is showing off $200 GPU's that can pull that off now. I really don't see Scorpio being over $600, and honestly, it'll probably be $400-500 with MS taking a financial hit to sell them and recouping the money on the games. This isn't just an attempt to have the most powerful console. it's meant to punch Sony right in the teeth and stagger them.

Yeah, I don't think it'll be as expensive as everyone's predicting. Especially by the end of next year...

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@elheber: Nope. It's an Xbone.5 and is meant to compete, if not destroy Sony's rumored/upcoming NEO/PS4K/PS4.5. Scorpio is even using the same Xbone peripherals.

If the Scorpio was a standalone, we Xbone owners would be f***ed since it's coming way early in 2017 (gave up four years of Xbone games). It would mean the end of the Xbone and the beginning of the Scorpio, much like we see happening with the 360, and before with the original Xbox 1 OG.

That would mean the Xbone's lifespan would be cut short, something that consumers that spent $100s of dollars for an Xbone should not be cheer-leading.

panda30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By panda30
Member since 2016 • 941 Posts

its both new and not all games will run in all 3 consols just difrent graphics / res / fps

where neo its just res/fps

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

It gives me lots of time to save up to buy the xbox project scorpio.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

It will be the platform that we'll build on for a decade or more through upgrades likely every two years or so by changing out easily accessible modules whether changing out CPU, GPU, Ram.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :P

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidTy

It's not. It's just an Xbone with 4K designs and in another interview, Phil said if you don't have a 4K TV, don't buy the Xbone Scorpio, it's for that market.

Microsoft announced Project Scorpio, a more powerful Xbox One, at its E3 press conference. It supports 4K gaming, and Xbox head Phil Spencer said in an interview with Eurogamer that the console's full benefits can only be seen on a 4K TV.

"[If you own a 1080p TV] then you should buy [an Xbox One S], because Scorpio is not going to do anything for you," Spencer said. "Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don't have a 4K TV, the benefit we've designed for, you're not going to see."

Spencer added that you can buy the Scorpio, though you would need to "buy a 4K TV to take advantage of the increased performance." Spencer also talked about how the most powerful console isn't always the one that "wins," noting theWii's strong sales last generation.

Xbox clarified again for those that don't understand what the Xbone Scorpio is, it's never going to have exclusives. It's an Xbone 4K machine:

There's been a fair bit of confusion regarding whether or not the Xbox One Scorpio, Microsoft's major spec bump for the Xbox One that is launching late next year, will get any exclusive games or not. Some people within Microsoft are ruling out the possibility, while others say that the choice will be left to developers.

However, in an interview, Xbox head Phil Spencer has set the record straight once and for all-

there will be no Xbox One Scorpio exclusives.

"For you and I, we usually think about generations in terms of what games will it play?" Spencer told Eurogamer. "This thing will play Ryse: Son of Rome, a launch game for your Xbox One. And we'll have launch Scorpio games as well that are playable on an Xbox One, Xbox One S and Scorpio and look great on all three of them," he concluded, adding very definitively and explicitly that the Xbox One Scorpio will not have any exclusives whatsoever. "There won't be Scorpio exclusive console games. Absolutely not.

"When you're buying a console game from us, you know that console game will run on your original Xbox. No-one gets left behind. We said that on stage. Your Xbox One S and Scorpio. That's an important design point for us. They're all part of the same family. And we want to make sure just like when you're buying your music today, you don't worry about upgrading to a new phone that somehow won't play your old songs or your new songs. We think about your Xbox One collection of games that will move with you between those different consoles," Spencer explained.

So if you own an Xbox One already, and don't feel like buying another one- don't.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SolidTy

@sukraj said:

It gives me lots of time to save up to buy the xbox project scorpio.

Just a heads up, if you read Phil's recent Xbox interviews (I posted one above),

"if you don't have a 4K TV, the Scorpio won't do anything for you."

They should probably rename the Xbone Scorpio the Xbone 4K to help clear up the confusion for people.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

@SolidTy: I agree from the conference and all these statements I'm just lost. At conference I got "this is a beast machine and will be 4k and run games 60fps". Now I'm hearing it's just 4k and dynamic scaled games will benefit. It's a bit muddy with what it will provide. Not having a 4k tv I was just hoping for 1080p/60fps as that would interest me. My hype is way down until it gets cleared up.

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

@BigBadBully said:

@SolidTy: I agree from the conference and all these statements I'm just lost. At conference I got "this is a beast machine and will be 4k and run games 60fps". Now I'm hearing it's just 4k and dynamic scaled games will benefit. It's a bit muddy with what it will provide. Not having a 4k tv I was just hoping for 1080p/60fps as that would interest me. My hype is way down until it gets cleared up.

Here's 3 things that's for sure.

1) It will NOT run 4K games at 60fps, not even a GTX 1080 can do that (DX12 or no).

2) If you don't have a 4K TV, don't bother with the Scorpio.

3) Playing games on a 1080p TV using a Scorpio won't magically make your games 60fps.

Avatar image for scrollinglayers
ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ScrollingLayers
Member since 2015 • 632 Posts

Assuming the specs for Neo and Scorpio don't change (other than minor adjustments) Scorpio would have essentially an extra PS4 worth of GPU performance over Neo.

Scorpio: 6 TF

Neo: 4.2 TF

OG PS4: 1.8 TF

6 TF - 4.2 TF = 1.8 TF

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Xbox Scorpio is really a "next generation" Xbox console. Since project Scorpio features a 6 Teraflops of processing power. And other jumps in tech power.

Microsoft just is not really promoting Scorpio as a Xbox 4. Since project Scorpio will be at least $500.00 at launch. mainly Scorpio is being made to support VR gaming. But when VR headsets do not catch on with the mainstream and VR gaming dies out and proves to be a fad. Like Motion controls and 3D gaming. Then the extra processing power of Project Scorpio will be use for next generation games.

So Project scorpio is a really decent jump for games, But MS is just playing in low key since they do not want to divide the Xbox gaming base. Xbox one, and Xbox one S gamers will be left behind in favor of Xbox scorpio gamers. But for now VR is the mainstay.