So I got my new 360 yesterday...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

claudiovalenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 claudiovalenti
Member since 2004 • 38 Posts

My wife came from the States yesterday and brought me my new 360 Arcade. I m freaking happy.

I really didn t have much time to play because it was very late and I had to spend quality time with my wife and daughter after we spent 1 month apart. Now I m at work and can t wait to get home.

But I got to connect it and put in Halo 3 first of course, but my concern comes because on the main menu of HALO 3, you have a background music and for like half a second or less, the music jumped a little bit, as if the disc was loading or something like that.

Is that normal and I m just being paranoic or is that a bad sign?

The games I got:

- HALO 3

- COD 4

- Bioshock

- Oblivion

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
Paranoid.
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
i havnt noticed this my self but the games you got are great
Chris_Farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chris_Farmer
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts

One question:

Are the load times long on the games you have? I wanna know whether having an HDD-equipped Xbox 360 makes a big difference for a non-LIVE player like me.

claudiovalenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 claudiovalenti

i havnt noticed this my self but the games you got are greatNSR34GTR

Thanks.

I also have available Gears of War, Forza 2 and Lost Planet from my brothers, our strategy will be to share the games we buy.

Well, if I m just being paranoic, that s a relief.

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
Halo 3 is only an average shoooter. Bioshock stinks. I would suggest returning both and getting GOW and Rainbow Six
APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts

Halo 3 is only an average shoooter. Bioshock stinks. I would suggest returning both and getting GOW and Rainbow Sixmohfrontline

FYI GOW means God of War (PS3 Exclusive) GeoW is Gears of War

But don't listen to him Halo 3 and Bioshock are both respectively great games.

claudiovalenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 claudiovalenti

[QUOTE="mohfrontline"]Halo 3 is only an average shoooter. Bioshock stinks. I would suggest returning both and getting GOW and Rainbow SixAPOLLOCJD

FYI GOW means God of War (PS3 Exclusive) GeoW is Gears of War

But don't listen to him Halo 3 and Bioshock are both respectively great games.

I m a big Halo fan, and Bioshock looks great to me. I m sure I won t be dissapointed.

g4merkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 g4merkid
Member since 2008 • 134 Posts
Whoa, nice collection! Later on, get a hard drive, when they fall in price... btw, paranoid.
claudiovalenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 claudiovalenti

So it s paranoid, not paranoic. Language barriers u know, lol.

But thanks then.

I got the Arcade cause I don t have internet at home. In a little over a year I plan on selling the Arcade and getting a Pro wich a hope will be a very upgraded version from Microsoft, like having Wireless built in, bigger harddrive, better price, etc. We ll see how all that goes. By that time I plan on inscribing to Live too.

I wanted to get the Arcade now because I really wanted to play all these games.

silver_986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 silver_986
Member since 2006 • 750 Posts

So it s paranoid, not paranoic. Language barriers u know, lol.

But thanks then.

I got the Arcade cause I don t have internet at home. In a little over a year I plan on selling the Arcade and getting a Pro wich a hope will be a very upgraded version from Microsoft, like having Wireless built in, bigger harddrive, better price, etc. We ll see how all that goes. By that time I plan on inscribing to Live too.

I wanted to get the Arcade now because I really wanted to play all these games.

claudiovalenti

Buy a new hard drive

Chris_Farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chris_Farmer
Is the hard drive reallythatimportant (apart from the online crap)?
Starbound571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Starbound571
Member since 2007 • 374 Posts
Is the hard drive reallythatimportant (apart from the online crap)?Chris_Farmer
It's not incredibly important, unless you hate switching out memory units all the time. But if I'm not mistaken, most game saves are anywhere from 500KB-4MB in size, so a memory unit isn't half bad, but if you get a memory unit and have a large collection of games I would recommend getting the 512MB memory unit instead of the 64MB. If you don't mind deleting old saves once in a while, the 64MB might be the better, and possibly cheaper choice. Edit: The "official" prices (On http://www.xbox.com) of the 64MB and 512MB is $39.99 for the 64MB, and $49.99 for the 512MB. If it were me I would just go for the 512, the 64 seems like you get pretty shafted as far as storage->price ratio. Or if you're skeptical, you COULD get away with buying a hard drive, even if it's the lowest end model possible, and still store ALL of your game saves on it.
Chris_Farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chris_Farmer

[QUOTE="Chris_Farmer"]Is the hard drive reallythatimportant (apart from the online crap)?Starbound571
It's not incredibly important, unless you hate switching out memory units all the time. But if I'm not mistaken, most game saves are anywhere from 500KB-4MB in size, so a memory unit isn't half bad, but if you get a memory unit and have a large collection of games I would recommend getting the 512MB memory unit instead of the 64MB. If you don't mind deleting old saves once in a while, the 64MB might be the better, and possibly cheaper choice.

Is it true that having a hard drive cuts down on load times?

Starbound571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Starbound571
Is it true that having a hard drive cuts down on load times?Chris_Farmer
I could not tell you for sure, as I've never used a memory unit versus a hard drive. If you mean the general load-up of game data straight from the game itself, like textures and the game world, then no, I don't forsee a possible difference between having a hard drive and not having one. If you mean calling up data from the memory unit, then I would imagine yes, but it would be a negligible difference.
Chris_Farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chris_Farmer

[QUOTE="Chris_Farmer"]Is it true that having a hard drive cuts down on load times?Starbound571
I could not tell you for sure, as I've never used a memory unit versus a hard drive. If you mean the general load-up of game data straight from the game itself, like textures and the game world, then no, I don't forsee a possible difference between having a hard drive and not having one. If you mean calling up data from the memory unit, then I would imagine yes, but it would be a negligible difference.

Oops. Wrong person asked. That's why I was asking the thread creator about the duration of the loading times. I have an Xbox 360 Elite that I've recently bought and my cousin is interested in getting an Xbox 360 Thing is, he doesn't need to play online and he wants to save bucks by buying the Arcade pack yet he's worried that having no HDD would mean longer loading times during gameplay.

Starbound571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Starbound571
Oops. Wrong person asked. That's why I was asking the thread creator about the duration of the loading times. I have an Xbox 360 Elite that I've recently bought and my cousin is interested in getting an Xbox 360 Thing is, he doesn't need to play online and he wants to save bucks by buying the Arcade pack yet he's worried that having no HDD would mean longer loading times during gameplay.Chris_Farmer
DURING gameplay? Definitely not, I can tell you that now, since the 360 stores the game's data in temporary internal memory. It never writes this information to a hard drive or memory unit. The only time anything is written to or read from a hard drive or memory unit on an Xbox is: Auto-save in games, if the option is there in the game. You saving a game manually. You create, edit, move or delete a gamer profile. You download from Xbox Live Marketplace. You open any media that is stored on the device. (Like music, if you're just using this to play games, it's likely you won't run into this problem.) You otherwise edit, move, copy, or delete anything in the "memory" section underneath the "system" blade. Formatting a memory unit or hard drive also has the same effect. Some Xbox games (Dead Rising, Saints Row come to mind) ask you before you load up a game to select a storage device from a list. Anything you have plugged into your Xbox that could be considered storage will be automatically detected. Most games, if not all, require that you have a gamer profile, so it will also check to see that you have one on the device that it can use. If it can't find one, it will ask you to create it. In short, think of the memory unit as a PS2 memory card. It doesn't have a bearing on game load-up times. Now think of the Xbox hard drives as a memory card, but a more persistent one. As I said before, the difference in reading/writing to a memory unit versus a hard drive would be so negligible that if you're playing a game and just need to load up a game save, you will never even notice a difference. Hope this helps, even though I've had no experience with a memory unit.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
nice stuff. u need to buy a hard drive then ur good to go .
Chris_Farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chris_Farmer
Thank you. Now that you've mentioned it, the Xbox 360 Arcade isn't such a bad deal after all.
jmartin1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 jmartin1016
Member since 2003 • 1363 Posts

[QUOTE="Starbound571"][QUOTE="Chris_Farmer"]Is the hard drive reallythatimportant (apart from the online crap)?Chris_Farmer

It's not incredibly important, unless you hate switching out memory units all the time. But if I'm not mistaken, most game saves are anywhere from 500KB-4MB in size, so a memory unit isn't half bad, but if you get a memory unit and have a large collection of games I would recommend getting the 512MB memory unit instead of the 64MB. If you don't mind deleting old saves once in a while, the 64MB might be the better, and possibly cheaper choice.

Is it true that having a hard drive cuts down on load times?

It depends on the game, Oblivion loads about 30% faster if you have a hard drive. Trust me, in that game it's a life saver.

spue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 spue
Member since 2006 • 473 Posts

does the arcade come 512mb memory card?

Starbound571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Starbound571
does the arcade come 512mb memory card?spue
From what I've read about the 360 arcade on PC World, it comes with "256MB on-board memory". What this means I don't know, but I'm fairly sure this means memory unit, as I don't think a 256MB hard drive would be at all practical, much less needed since there's a 512MB memory unit out there that's double the size.
Chris_Farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chris_Farmer
The xbox 360 arcade comes with a 256MB memory card unit and a CD containing 5 arcade games.
claudiovalenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 claudiovalenti

Why would the 360 have faster gameplay with a Harddrive???

Doesn t seem logic to me.

Legendary_Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Legendary_Ross
Member since 2005 • 557 Posts
Congrats! You seem pretty happy and you've got a great collection started!
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Are we talking a US 360 or a UK 360?
claudiovalenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 claudiovalenti

Is an US 360. My wife bought it in a BestBuy in Phoenix Arizona and brought here to my country.

I m in Nicaragua.

Chris_Farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chris_Farmer

Why would the 360 have faster gameplay with a Harddrive???

Doesn t seem logic to me.

claudiovalenti

Some games like Oblivion will use the hard drive as a temporary cache, hence faster loading times.

xNeCr0sS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 xNeCr0sS
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Ya he's correct, the cache memory thats left helps the games load faster .. thats why when oblivion came out in order to load it faster people would clear the cache memory by holding the power button. but i think every game leaves cache so if u keep playing the same game over and over it would load very fast ...and a hard drive shouldnt effect gameplay at all with or without
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#30 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
u should really buy your self a 20 gig harddrive.... memory cards dont cut it for like demos and videos and that on market place u wont even be able downlow extra contect with its small memory
claudiovalenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 claudiovalenti

Dudes, like I told you, I m not interested in a Harddrive right now cause I don t have Internet.

In the future I might buy one, or change the Arcade, when I ll have internet and Live.

Deadalus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Deadalus_
Member since 2004 • 26 Posts

It depends on the game, Oblivion loads about 30% faster if you have a hard drive. Trust me, in that game it's a life saver.

jmartin1016

Really? Do you mean the expansion or the original game? Because I don't remember having the choice where to store the game, I have 20 gb HDD.

Josepiphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Josepiphus
Member since 2003 • 571 Posts
You my friend are going to have an amazing evening. Congrats.
claudiovalenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 claudiovalenti

You my friend are going to have an amazing evening. Congrats.Josepiphus

Thanks man, Looking forward to it.

Deadalus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Deadalus_
Member since 2004 • 26 Posts
Don't play Oblivion first thought. It's a mammoth huge game, it will suck all your free gaming time and you won't be playing anything else, believe me ;) I think I'll never finish it really :( You have mainly fps games, I recommend getting Ace Combat 6 as well !