Single Player games vs online Multi Player

This topic is locked from further discussion.

allboutkiln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 allboutkiln
Member since 2010 • 508 Posts

When i pay $119 for a new game, i expect to be entertained for at least more than 12hours of immersive gameplay. I've never played online, for me it's always been about an intimate SOLO experience, it's ME versus the Machine, no external help.

So, i think games should be designed with the single player in mind & the multiplayer as secondary.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

When i pay $119 for a new game, i expect to be entertained for at least more than 12hours of immersive gameplay. I've never played online, for me it's always been about an intimate SOLO experience, it's ME versus the Machine, no external help.

So, i think games should be designed with the single player in mind & the multiplayer as secondary.

allboutkiln

You should have posted this in the General Game Discussions Forum.

Anyway, multiplayer is what makes more money. Why? Well, lets take XBOX Live for example. Microsoft will want a game to have a MP component so more people will be buying LIVE accounts. Simple.Furthermore, Microsoft will be more willing to "invest" in acquiring certain game if it has MP component, for reasons already stated above.

So, developers are focusing on multiplayer rather than solo campaigns (for the most part, there are exceptions).

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

allboutkiln
many games are....and if youre paying 119 dollars for a game youre getting screwed....
silver_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 silver_kyle
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
The chances of you playing 50+ hours in single player is a lot lower than you playing 50+ hours in multiplayer. Better to invest in the thing you'll be spending most of your time in. I do love my single player campaigns though.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I like single player even more.

Multi player is too repetitive. You appear in a pit run around shoot until you are killand then your appear in the same pit.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

allboutkiln
Why are you paying double in the first place?
0_demo_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 0_demo_0
Member since 2008 • 284 Posts

I look for a game that has something in the middle. I would like to enjoy a good story in single player but also a detailed and entertaining multiplayer experience. I think a little bit of both is good and not something exciting one way or the other.

gem98088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gem98088
Member since 2011 • 542 Posts
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="allboutkiln"]

$119 is what you pay here in australia.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts

allboutkiln
the typical single player games lasts 10-50 hours tops. I have multi-player games that go into the 600+ hour range. Online components give a game much much more life. imho a good game is a co-op online game. honestly you are missing out by not going online.
Avatar image for Defy_The_Fallen
Defy_The_Fallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Defy_The_Fallen
Member since 2011 • 621 Posts
If were talking campaigns, if there any shorter than 20 hours they just don't do it for me. There needs to be a long, deep, enriching story to a game for me to enjoy. Whereas with multiplayer, it can change all the time and you can easily get 50+, in my case 100 - 150+ hours in multiplayer
Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

gem98088

Is that $119 in AUD or USD? I mean, they're pretty much worth the same thing, but I'm just curious.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#12 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts
I couldn't care less about multiplayer. It just doesn't do it for me.
DujePro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DujePro
Member since 2011 • 116 Posts

allboutkiln

one little question, why dont you play online??????????

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
online or bust. I almost never play single player games anymore. I have no real desire. The only single player games I have played in the past couple years was ME2 and Oblivion. I really wish oblivion at least allowed for like 1 or 2 other people to join in that would be awesome to have a party system for quests.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

gem98088

That still doesn't make sense. One U.S. dollar equals .9817 AUS dollars. Barely two cents difference.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
Games sell more these days with a great Multiplayer experience... developers also have this in mind. If the game has a good Multiplayer, chances are the game will sell a lot better. A little bit of both is great though... I like to alternate between a great Single and Multiplayer experience. One game that does this mix well is the Gears of War series :).
gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts

It depends on the game. Some games are better with multiplayer and some aren't.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#18 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

i assuming your in AU one of the most rip off places for video games... blame your government. There is no reason why a game should cost any more then in U,S/ U.k and everywhere else. Why? because AU dollar is actuely worth more then U.S dollar($0.98 to AU dollar). So don't you find it really stupid? I can understand maybe couple bucks more if shipping the games to AU cost more but ya.

What i would do? unplug your system walk over to game store and sell it. Then go online buy system from i say u.s/ u.k idc. and import your games for half the price...

Edit vaule of the dollar returned http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter/#from=USD;to=AUD;amt=1 but u.s dollar beating AU dollar by 2 cent now. but etheir way it don't matter AU gets ripped off.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="gem98088"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Why are you paying double in the first place?Drakebunny

Is that $119 in AUD or USD? I mean, they're pretty much worth the same thing, but I'm just curious.

$120 AUD, just because the dollar has reached parity doesnt mean all imported good from the US immediately change
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chaoscougar1

i assuming your in AU one of the most rip off places for video games... blame your government. There is no reason why a game should cost any more then in U,S/ U.k and everywhere else. Why? because AU dollar is actuely worth more then U.S dollar($0.98 to AU dollar). So don't you find it really stupid? I can understand maybe couple bucks more if shipping the games to AU cost more but ya.

What i would do? unplug your system walk over to game store and sell it. Then go online buy system from i say u.s/ u.k idc. and import your games for half the price...

Edit vaule of the dollar returned http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter/#from=USD;to=AUD;amt=1 but u.s dollar beating AU dollar by 2 cent now. but etheir way it don't matter AU gets ripped off.

k2theswiss

thats not how finance/economics works...

gem98088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gem98088
the $120 is in AUD. and yeah, we get ripped off down here with games. But thats alright.. us aussies spend most of our time at the beach :p
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
I believe that single player should always be the primary focus in a game, multiplayer being a second priority. There are exceptions to that rule, of course, like in MMO's, but for the most part, a game with a quality, lengthy single player campaign will be the one I spend my money on first.
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Single player. Nothing beats a game with a good story/atmosphere.
allboutkiln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 allboutkiln

[QUOTE="allboutkiln"]

penpusher

many games are....and if youre paying 119 dollars for a game youre getting screwed....

Here in Australia, we pay between $109 and $119 for a brand new game, $129 if it's a limited collector's edition,apparently because we have a small population.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
wow that sucks. Does it really cost like 50 bucks to ship a game to Australia?
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chaoscougar1
wow that sucks. Does it really cost like 50 bucks to ship a game to Australia?AutoPilotOn
its not that simple, without going into too much detail the Australian dollar use to hover around 50-60 cents to the american dollar so thats what most prices are currently set at. Sometimes it would hit 70-80 but it wouldnt stay like that for long, unless this current exchange rate turns out to be a little more permenant than expected there wont be a massive drop (equal to the states prices). Granted it might get slightly cheaper, but not half price
allboutkiln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 allboutkiln

[QUOTE="allboutkiln"]

DujePro

I've read and heard about too many Negatives of online gaming, maybe one day i'll give it a try.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="DujePro"]

[QUOTE="allboutkiln"]

allboutkiln

I've read and heard about too many Negatives of online gaming, maybe one day i'll give it a try.

hahaha what negatives?
allboutkiln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 allboutkiln

THANK YOU People, for all your positive feedback.

DujePro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DujePro

[QUOTE="allboutkiln"]

[QUOTE="DujePro"] one little question, why dont you play online??????????

chaoscougar1

hahaha what negatives?

hahaha lol playing online is great, especially with people you know and games you like ofc

gem98088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gem98088
Here's a tip for ya.. Get Battlefield Bad Company 2. Hook Xbox Live up.. and get shootin :p
DujePro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DujePro

Here's a tip for ya.. Get Battlefield Bad Company 2. Hook Xbox Live up.. and get shootin :pgem98088
i played bttlefield and its awesome, try it

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
single player games by far for me i dont like online multi player games
LukeDavey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LukeDavey
Member since 2010 • 119 Posts

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

chaoscougar1

yeah it was 120$ a year or two ago but the games now are $60 - $90 doallrs now since our dollar has gone stronger

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

LukeDavey

yeah it was 120$ a year or two ago but the games now are $60 - $90 doallrs now since our dollar has gone stronger

lol thats a $30 discrepency, and i havent seen any highly regarded titles for $60 on release

allboutkiln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 allboutkiln

[QUOTE="allboutkiln"]

EvilSelf

You should have posted this in the General Game Discussions Forum.

Anyway, multiplayer is what makes more money. Why? Well, lets take XBOX Live for example. Microsoft will want a game to have a MP component so more people will be buying LIVE accounts. Simple.Furthermore, Microsoft will be more willing to "invest" in acquiring certain game if it has MP component, for reasons already stated above.

So, developers are focusing on multiplayer rather than solo campaigns (for the most part, there are exceptions).

Yes, fair enough, that makes perfect business sense. My main gripe is that i enjoyed Halo & Halo 2, but when i paid $109 for Halo Reach, i got 7 hours gameplay! and left feeling totally underwhelmed, as if Bungie only had their online multiplayer as their main priority, ie. screw the single player.

allboutkiln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 allboutkiln

[QUOTE="allboutkiln"]

[QUOTE="DujePro"] one little question, why dont you play online??????????

chaoscougar1

hahaha what negatives?

Respawn, Death, Respawn, Death, Sniped over & over again. I read that some guy on RDR couldn't move 2 feet cos he got sniped 120 times over a 4 hour period by a sniper/stalker, my cousin suffered the same fate in COD, he almost smashed his machine. Add to that the lil kids with their abrasive racist & homophobic (i'm not gay not that there's anything wrong with that,Seinfeld :) taunts,just to name a few. Nuff said.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="allboutkiln"]I've read and heard about too many Negatives of online gaming, maybe one day i'll give it a try.

allboutkiln

hahaha what negatives?

Respawn, Death, Respawn, Death, Sniped over & over again. I read that some guy on RDR couldn't move 2 feet cos he got sniped 120 times over a 4 hour period by a sniper/stalker, my cousin suffered the same fate in COD, he almost smashed his machine. Add to that the lil kids with their abrasive racist & homophobic (i'm not gay not that there's anything wrong with that,Seinfeld :) taunts,just to name a few. Nuff said.

lol
1: Who the hell sits there and lets themself get sniper for 4 hours, is the quit/off button that hard to find?
2: Either your cousin needs to improve or he needs to relax. Its very easy to not break a $300 console, common sense should cover it
3: Mute button, partys, turning off your mic are all amazing ways to avoid that.
Seems to be you are just making excuses based on other peoples experiences, how bout you try it for a month and if you dont like, dont buy it again