Should I get an XBox 360 or wait?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DinoSquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DinoSquid
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts
I dont want a "yes" but an in depth answer. I currently have a Wii and am enjoying it. But I want a little more hardcore and better online. I have only enough for the $200 Xbox 360 so should I wait until I have enough for the better ones and how much are the better ones? I will mostly be playing FPS games and was wondering if the $200 XBox has enough power/memory.
deleterguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deleterguy
Member since 2005 • 1827 Posts
Wait till you can afford the Elite version.
DinoSquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DinoSquid
How can I make $100 (without prostitution)? anyone...
buttslaya617z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 buttslaya617z
Member since 2009 • 233 Posts

How can I make $100 (without prostitution)? anyone...DinoSquid

Donate plasma! Where I live I get $55 a week for 2 donations.

Ryan_as

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ryan_as
Member since 2010 • 41 Posts
You can sell your old games if you have any? I live in the UK but I guess if there are any bundles with the Elite, then I would advise getting those, it's best to get a good Hard Drive space to be honest. Can't tell you how to make money...get a job or something.
Avatar image for deactivated-57a12126af02c
deactivated-57a12126af02c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57a12126af02c
Member since 2007 • 3290 Posts
Wait. I know its urging, but wait. Having harddrive space is a necessity.
DinoSquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DinoSquid
dont think im old enough to sell plasma... And wii games have no sell back value.
DinoSquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DinoSquid
Oh and also XBox live. Any guidance about that? WTF is gold or silver membership?
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
While the Arcade model will let you get online and playing games, in no time at all you will be wishing you had a harddrive to get the most out of your 360. If you can't afford an Elite, look around to see what prices you can get on a 360 harddrive - even an old 20GB is better than nothing, though I'd recommend going for atleast a 60GB HDD. As for Gold / Silver - all gamertags automatically have Silver - allowing you to do pretty much anything online except play games. If you want to play multiplayer, you need to pay for Gold - again look around for the best price, as the RRP can easily be beaten in most countries. I'm in the UK where the RRP is 40 pounds, and my last year cost 25. As for earning money - if you're not old enough for a job, trying doing things for family or neighbours - washing cars, cutting grass
DinoSquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DinoSquid
So how does that work the whole external hardrive thing? And since its winter I cant mow lawns which is what I usually do. How much memmory do games take up like CoD, Halo, and GTA?
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Avenger1324
If you have your 360 standing vertical the HDD just clips onto the top. You can take a HDD off any other 360, clip it onto yours and it will work fine. Individual save files for most games are fairly small - 1-2MB each - so nothing much to worry about. The Arcade comes with 256MB of internal storage, though you will need to install the NXE dashboard update which is 128MB. The main reason you would need a HDD for the games you listed is additional map packs. Halo 3 has had several additonal map packs released for it, and these are included in the standard rotation of maps. Unless you want to put up with being booted from a group of players every 3-4 rounds you would need to buy the additional maps, and these take up space - too much to fit on just a memory unit. It's a similar story with a lot of other games, particularly shooters, that try to encourage people to buy the additional maps by making disrupting those that haven't bought it. But once you have a HDD you can get more benefit from it - you can download demos, videos, additional content for games. You can also install games to the HDD, which makes the whole console much quieter, and in most cases will improve load times and performance (though in the specific case of Halo 3 it is better to run it from the disk - though that is a one off).
DinoSquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DinoSquid
OK thanks. So is the Pro (7 gigs I heard) OK or is it Elite or nothing? And how much do map packs/HDD cost at most/least? And if I do what size HDD should Iget?
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Avenger1324
OK thanks. So is the Pro (7 gigs I heard) OK or is it Elite or nothing? And how much do map packs/HDD cost at most/least? And if I do what size HDD should Iget?DinoSquid
The "Pro/Premium" has had a few sizes. The original Pro came with a 20GB HDD, then later it had a 60GB one. Both of these have now been discontinued, though you can still find them preowned, and can still buy the 60GB HDD as part of a standalone pack with some Gold sub package. The Elite was released in 2007, and has always come with a 120GB HDD. There is a new limited Super Elite console (special editions for MW2 and Forza 3) which has a 250GB HDD. Whatever size HDD you get, formatting loses a bit of space, and then the 360 reserves about 5GB of space that it uses while running games. If you buy a 20GB HDD, the actual usable space is 13.8GB when empty. For a 60GB HDD, you get about 50GB of usable space. There is no standard size for extra content. For some games it can be a few mb, for map packs usually a few hundred MB, and in some cases can be over 1GB. Extra content is charged for in MS points, with standard increments of 400 points. Not sure how much MS points cost in the US, but should be easy enough to find on most gaming stores websites. You buy MS points and put them on your account, then when you find something you want to buy you spend some of your points. They stay on your account until you spend them.
DinoSquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DinoSquid
Wow thanks for all the help. Just one more thing every body is like "Dont get a XBox because you'll get RRoD get a PS3." How common is RRoD? because I havnt even thought about getting a PS3 and really dont want one.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Avenger1324
Wow thanks for all the help. Just one more thing every body is like "Dont get a XBox because you'll get RRoD get a PS3." How common is RRoD? because I havnt even thought about getting a PS3 and really dont want one.DinoSquid
The 360 does have a higher failure rate than other consoles, but this reputation really came from the early editions of the 360 which were prone to overheating, and resulted in the RROD. MS have since made several revisions to the hardware, making it much less likely to overheat, and more reliable. They also offer an increased 3 year warranty against RROD and E74 (the two most common failures), so even if you do get unlucky it is covered for 3 years. If you are going to buy a 360 then buy a brand new console to get the latest model and the full warranty.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
How can I make $100 (without prostitution)? anyone...DinoSquid
I hope that was a joke.. Either get a job or start mowing yards. Seriously if you can't afford an extra $100 how can you get games? Also what makes a game hardcore? I have never understood that argument. By the way buy the elite it's a much better choice.
DinoSquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DinoSquid
I think im gunna the Pro but near my birthday so i can get games.
ExpiredGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ExpiredGhost
Member since 2010 • 528 Posts
I would just save up and purchase a Xbox 360 Pro or Elite.
Vic-Ferrari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vic-Ferrari
Member since 2009 • 1637 Posts
I'd recommend getting the Arcade version then buying a hard drive on eBay. They seem to have really good deals.
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

Save up and get the Elite.

Avatar image for deactivated-5829d9bd191c4
deactivated-5829d9bd191c4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 deactivated-5829d9bd191c4
Member since 2007 • 1294 Posts

Get the new Xbox 360 Elite with Jasper chip

It isnt supposed to RROD

xsuziiix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xsuziiix
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I'd recommend getting the Arcade version then buying a hard drive on eBay. They seem to have really good deals.Vic-Ferrari
I have to agree on that. I was short on cash & I wanted an Elite more than anything, but I just had enough in my budget to get the cheapest out there...& that was the Arcade. If you don't have the money to buy lots of games right now, then you are going to be okay for a little while with just that....unless you like to download movies & junk. I started out with just my Arcade & a copy of Gears of War 2, & I had no complaints. The 256 hard drive built in with my arcade had enough room for three separate 360 games, plus a few small extras I downloaded, so seriously....Arcade is fine...but either get a brand new console or one that has been refurbished. I would recommend checking out eBay for a hard drive, that's what we did & I found a hard drive for cheap. It works awesomely now.