Should I buy Bioshock or Mass Effect?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Faceless_Grunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Faceless_Grunt
Member since 2006 • 67 Posts
I need help determining whether I should buy Bioshock or Mass Effect. I love both first-person shooters, as well as role-playing games. I really can't decide because both games look amazingly good. I enjoyed Star Wars: KOTOR, which Mass Effect is somewhat like. If anyone could help out with my descision, I would appreciate it.
BOERGOE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BOERGOE
I say Mass Effect because it has great replay value:D and I liked it more then Bioshock:P
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#3 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I would go with Mass Effect. Bioshock is great, but Mass Effect is longer, and has more replay value.

Faceless_Grunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Faceless_Grunt
Sweet. Replay value is very important.
ryanisking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 ryanisking
Member since 2003 • 130 Posts

Its simple, get both.

If you refuse to take the easy route, I would say Bioshock. Then trade it in and get Mass Effect, or vice vera.

anths1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 anths1987
Member since 2005 • 652 Posts
Get both, both very good games
Faceless_Grunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Faceless_Grunt

Its simple, get both.

If you refuse to take the easy route, I would say Bioshock. Then trade it in and get Mass Effect, or vice vera.

ryanisking
Haha, I am thinking about that. I don't have the time or the money right now to get both though.
cleotis_max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cleotis_max
Member since 2007 • 979 Posts
Mass Effect is longer then BioShock, but length doesn't really determine if a games good.. Me personally I'd buy BioShock over Mass Effect simply because I was let down by ME.. That game bored me and had 0 replay value. But opinions are just as good as onions.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#9 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
Bioshock has basically no replayability. That was a big thing for me. I had no reason to play it again after I beat it. But I started a new game of Mass Effect right after I beat it the first time just to check out the new classes.
Faceless_Grunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Faceless_Grunt
Bioshock has basically no replayability. That was a big thing for me. I had no reason to play it again after I beat it. But I started a new game of Mass Effect right after I beat it the first time just to check out the new classes.hillelslovak
Yeah, after I beat a game and I get into that "wanting to play a video game" mood, I look through all my games and don't want to play them because what can I play once I beat the game? Like with COD 4, I beat it pretty fast and all the offer is some dumb arcade mode. Hopefully Mass Effect will have some killer replay value. Like you said with the classes and all. I just wish it should have been rated higher than an 8.5.
rufnek69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rufnek69
Member since 2003 • 144 Posts

[QUOTE="hillelslovak"]Bioshock has basically no replayability. That was a big thing for me. I had no reason to play it again after I beat it. But I started a new game of Mass Effect right after I beat it the first time just to check out the new classes.Faceless_Grunt
Like with COD 4, I beat it pretty fast and all the offer is some dumb arcade mode.

??

gerbalkingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gerbalkingman
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
If you enjoyed KOTOR then i would say get mass effect. It has good replay value.
imperial_agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 imperial_agent
Member since 2006 • 2195 Posts

Mass Effect doesn't necessarily have more replayability than BioShock. Overall, I'd say the have about the same amount.

Sure, you can restart Mass Effect as a different class and make a new character, but guess what happens? You have to start back at Level 0. Bascially, you're just replaying the same game but with different powers. Honestly, it's not worth it since there's nothing new or different about those powers or your new class since you've already played them as one of your side characters the FIRST time you played it.

In addition, would you really want to play through Mass Effect twice? The game is pretty long, and you won't see much difference on a second play through. You'll be going to the same locales, talking to the same people, doing the same fetch quests, and repeating the same tasks as you did the first play through. And trust me, most of the side missions that have you going to different planets can get really monotonous. Why on earth would you want to play all that over AGAIN?

I'm not saying ME isn't a great game. It is. It's easily one of the best I've played in a long time. I'm just pointing out that the whole "ME has tons of replayability" isn't what it appears on the surface. Being able to play as a different class is true, but the story doesn't change.

BioShock is a lot more linear than Mass Effect, but when you look at the different ways you can play BioShock, it adds just about the same amount of replayability as Mass Effect does. Instead of going guns blazing, you can relay more on your powers instead. You could hack more and get Big Daddies to join your side. The sheer amount of options available to you in BioShock will make you naturally want to play the game again. You may not want to play it RIGHT AWAY after beating it (I personally am waiting 1 year to play it a 2nd time through so it feels fresh), but definately doesn't have any less replayability than Mass Effect.

btw... it took me about 20 hours to beat BioShock, and 35 to beat Mass Effect.

mugenad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mugenad
Member since 2006 • 60 Posts

Mass Effect is longer then BioShock, but length doesn't really determine if a games good.. Me personally I'd buy BioShock over Mass Effect simply because I was let down by ME.. That game bored me and had 0 replay value. But opinions are just as good as onions.cleotis_max

agree

Volgin13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 Volgin13
Member since 2005 • 295 Posts
Mass Effect
Avatar image for Silentwarrior27
Silentwarrior27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Silentwarrior27
Member since 2005 • 357 Posts
Mass Effect by far.
nascar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 nascar1
Member since 2005 • 2763 Posts

TC, i have 'em both and they are/were equally enjoyable...get 'em both if you can or when you can!

- also worth mentioning, M.E isn't that long if you do just the main quests (which is where the better part of the game is), while the side quests are cool at 1st and lengthens the overall gameplay, they become extremely repetitive!!! :?

edit: oh and like someone already mentioned..."opinions are just as good as onions"!!! :roll: :lol:

Bladefighter23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bladefighter23
Member since 2005 • 1201 Posts
BioShock
tomoward41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 tomoward41
Member since 2008 • 182 Posts

Mass Effect, first time I looked at videos of Mass Effect and I was like this game is gonna suck, but after a good long hour of Mass Effect, this game just blew me away~

Bioshock is not that good in my opinion, its worth a rent though.