Separation of Achievements and Main Gameplay

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RendFou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RendFou
Member since 2009 • 362 Posts

I've noticed a great deal of games tend to either incorporate a substancial number of achievements into completing the campaign or focus the achievements on other gameplay conditions and leave very little for campaign. On one hand I'm sure we all like achievements and getting a bunch by simply playing single player is always nice. On the other hand you have games that go the alternate route and add replay value and gameplay time by making you work for the achievements instead of throwing them in with modes that you were most likely already going to play through anyway. Which school of achievement organization do you prefer?

megamadman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 megamadman5
Member since 2006 • 725 Posts

crazy random ones that are impossible to get. i dont care about achievement points at all, so campain ones meen nothing to me, but every now and then getting a random pop up saying i got a unique and weird achievement is always fun.

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

I prefer an equal mixture for all parts of a game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#4 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

I prefer achievements to be a range.

I like getting achievements for playing the game. I really like achievements for replaying the game. And I like having a few achievements in a game that are really hard to get!

For the most part the games i have are pretty good with achievements. Only Oblivion, COD2, and DOAX2 have a lousy achievement set. And DOAX2 isn't really a game! :p

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
I think the best achievements are the ones that require you to get the most of your game by trying things that you might not have otherwise thought about doing. Like how Gears 2 has an achievement for meleeing 30 tickers, where many gamers would have otherwise never tried it and seen how funny it is.
BadLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BadLegend
Member since 2009 • 318 Posts

I like the ones that seem impossible but really ain't

Vendetta67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vendetta67
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts
I like the ones that have some achievements for the campaign for like beating campaign, defeating boss, etc. and then a good amount for replay value so I get the most out of my game.
FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

Even if they could spare 10 points for completing each level, mission etc... that would make it more rewarding.

I still like the ones which add reply value.. but not collecting stuff.

kingrich06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 110

#9 kingrich06
Member since 2006 • 5403 Posts
I am annoyed at games that have online achievements and the companies close down those online servers.
Letmekilluplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Letmekilluplz
Member since 2009 • 184 Posts

I like ones where it's like "Shoot off 100 enemy helmets" or "Fall out of you helicopter from maximum height and die"

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
I like to have earnt about 600GS+ from completing the campaign fully the first time through. In some games this is very easy to get everything in one play, in others it requires a lot of time and effort. I think Mass Effect was the best example of achievements done well. Nearly all the achievements come from playing the game normally. There are some kill X enemies, or use skill Y so many times, but these weren't unusual things. But as well as the achievement and GS, it gave you a real bonus in game by unlocking a new skill, or giving your character a boost in some way - more damage inflicted, increased armour or shields, earn more XP from kills etc. The achievements helped you out and encouraged you to play the game more.
gr8scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gr8scott
Member since 2003 • 1008 Posts
Very true Avenger 1324. Fable 2 and Mass Effect's achievements are well designed. I like the achievements that you get by progressing through the story. I think the majority of your achievements should come from completing the campaign. I'm usually ok with most achievements. I don't like achievements that force you to play the game a certain way. For exampe, Ninja Gaiden 2 has achievements that force you to complete the full game using only 1 weapon. You aren't allowed to switch weapons or anything. I just don't find those achievements very interesting to get. It takes away creativity to get that achievement. Online achievements are by far the worst kind of achievements. If you don't have a gold account (even though you probably should), then you can't get those achievements at all. Also, for example, some games like Halo 3 have an achievement where you have to get a triple kill with a sword in lone wolves. In many of the maps, there is no sword to get. Online play is so random and chaotic, the opportunity for getting some of those ridiculous online achievements may not present themselves to you. Most of the achievements I am missing from my games are from multiplayer achievements. Great topic by the way
Iraqi_Gangster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Iraqi_Gangster
Member since 2008 • 503 Posts

I think Mass Effect was the best example of achievements done well. Nearly all the achievements come from playing the game normally. There are some kill X enemies, or use skill Y so many times, but these weren't unusual things. But as well as the achievement and GS, it gave you a real bonus in game by unlocking a new skill, or giving your character a boost in some way - more damage inflicted, increased armour or shields, earn more XP from kills etc. The achievements helped you out and encouraged you to play the game more.Avenger1324

I totally agree with you on this. Achievements in Mass Effect weren't just stupid points, they also gave you in game bonuses. Gotta love the way BioWare does things.

I like achievements that require you do specific stuff in games like the ones in Gears of War 2. I hate any achievement that involves collecting s^^^ loads of stuff. I think it is a cheap way to add value to a horrible game.