Rumor: Xbox 360 to drop price by $100 across all SKUs on August 1st

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thebatcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thebatcat
Member since 2005 • 537 Posts

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=18915

According to internet reports, a major Canadian retailer has confirmed that the Xbox 360 is set to receice an Official $100 price drop across all Skus as of August 1st. That will mean that the Xbox 360 core will retail for $199 (with a pack in memory unit) and be even cheaper than the Wii at $249 USD.

A look at what the market would like like with the proposed price cut

- Xbox 360 core, $199 USD (with included memory unit)
- Nintendo Wii, $249 USD
- Xbox 360 Premium, $299 USD
- Xbox 360 Elite, $399 USD
- PS3, $599 USD

-------

I have not seen any reports of this, has anyone else?

MyndFlyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 MyndFlyte
Member since 2005 • 1103 Posts
Yeah I don't know if I believe that. You would think that if they were actually going to do that next month, they would have said something at their E3 conference and they never did. So I won't believe it until Microsoft says it's going to happen.
hachiman128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hachiman128
Member since 2007 • 779 Posts
Sony has announced a price drop while Microsoft hasn't even mentioned anything. Seeing as you didn't even have the PS3 price correct and your "source" is a "major Canadian retailer", I'm afraid you have no credibility.
BarkingMidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BarkingMidget
Member since 2007 • 47 Posts
I thought the 60GB Ps3 was going to be discontinued everywhere except Europe. I think I actually believe this rumour, because therewere the same rumors about a Ps3 pricecut, and they were true. This is ofcourse just a rumour and shouldn't be taken serious.
thebatcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thebatcat
Member since 2005 • 537 Posts

I agree that this is just in the rumor stage and not fact. I am merely asking if anyone has heard of this Canadian report outside of this?

The PS3 60GB is being discontinued and is already out of production.

http://atvs.vg.no/player/?id=10235

Kaz says this in the video: "Again from a hardware prospective the $499 price adjustment that we did for the 60 GB version for the American market... we're no longer in production for that product... so once that product is gone from the retailers shelves, then we're back to the $599 SKU only. So, it is not like we have a two price strategy here in the US market, which we found out very early on, you know, that consumers react mostly to just having one SKU as opposed to two."

I can see this happening as a price drop.

And let me add this food for thought...who will get all the GTA4 fans to buy their system?

XBox 360 Core $199 + GTA4 $60 = $259

PS3 $599 + GTA4 $60 = $659

$400 friggin dollar difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could then still have money left over to buy a Wii and some games and still have money left over.

Since the 60GB PS3 will be gone by then and discontinued.

BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts
II hope they don't. It would be monumentally stupid to drop the price before releasing Halo 3. That game will move a lot of systems.
ryanvl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ryanvl
Member since 2004 • 167 Posts
There is one word in that first post which leads me to think the price drop is untrue, Canadian! Invade Canada!